Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

In 6 Celebrity Cruises I have never noticed "chair hogs". Generally we always managed to find a lounger around either the inside or outside pool. WE have found that during busy periods on sea days the pool butlers are extra vigilante in checking on loungers not being used.

you know what would be fun? At 6:30am get about two or three dozen towels and lay them on the best chairs. Then come back at 11:30 to see how many remained.

What a great idea, I am in, forget the best chairs, lets do them all. Lets do it on our upcoming cruise this weekend.

NO...the little "huts" up on the lawn deck are available for those who want to pay for a reserved spot... Pool loungers should be open to all, one per person, no hogs...

Never had to pay for a reserved lounge at Sandals...most of the reserved ones in a small sunny area were for honeymooners...We never had an issue finding spots...sun, shade, active or quiet pools.

FYI... reserved lounges at Sandals are not only for honeymooners but, for those who have butler service.;)

Well, our solution is to not go to the pool at all and have to fight the chair hogs. Rather book a suite and chill on our more than adequate balcony. If I go out there and there is a towel saving the lounge chair, then I will be compelled to get involved. Good luck in the trenches and Godspeed.

OK, here's an idea; give me your honest opinion, good idea, lousy idea.

Would you pay a "fee" to have a chair reserved for you like they do at the Sandals Resorts?

I do pay a fee, it is the balcony attached to my cabin.

yeah coz these guys get paid a fortune ?

if you have a beef - man up and take it up wiv the peops concerned or go seek out guest relations

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's exactly what I said when I posted go get a pool deck attendant...!! Takes a bigger man to seek out a pool deck attendant to handle the issue.

Edited by davekathy

• 3 weeks later...

Recenly got off Eclipse after a14 night cruise. Many of the people like us were on same cruise last year. Sort of amused sort of cross to see really nice people who thought it was OK to

1. Couple A reserved sunbeds from before 7 a.m. despite the husband never sitting on them as needed to play cards all day.

2. Couple B -they spent most if the day on the 5 beds they reserved 3 in the sun & 2 in the shade

Priceless [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]☀️☀️☀️

Celebrity was putting out cards in May, reminding pax of no saving seats, and that their items could be removed. I'm not sure how well it was enforced, but at least they were making an effort!

They still put cards out, but we only saw them the first day.

At 10:30, there were still chairs in the shade.

c7f083f63075a8802b7ffb45c3e0729c.jpg

86f539e853426756d4a5bab361603557.jpg

And there are always plenty here at that time.

f1dd69c99bc8cd7601e990d2376e7819.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Frankly, those beds gross me out! Other people's sweat, etc. imbedded in the fabric. And honestly, sitting with 2,000 other people at the pool is not really relaxing. I will be most happy on my veranda in the sun! No chair hogs there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know it sounds too simple and would tick some people off, but why don't the cruise lines simply remove the time limits and remove towels from chairs when people are not in them or in the pool. It would also be nice if the cruise lines put a cube rack near the pool so users can place their stuff where it won't get wet or stepped on. In the past I have placed my stuff on a chair with a note that said "In the pool" and signed it. The staff have left it alone and a couple of fellow passengers have called me and asked to place their stuff with mine.

I am curious about something. Is the prime spot on the Summit (which I have been on a couple of times) around the pool outside or the solarium area (basically anywhere with a lounger)? I don't tend to sit at one spot all day so I don't really watch who comes/goes/never appears...etc... I personally like it up where the theater is because of the beds, the movies, and it is quieter (but that's me). If it gets too windy, sunny, or if I get bored, I move to another area on the ship. My point is, I really have never found a time where I couldn't find a chair at all hours of the day. Are people upset about chair hogs because they tend to grab the best seats around the pool areas? I remember on our cruise in October leaving out of Bayonne, we had a couple of windy days and the solarium area was packed. We did have 2 chairs by the pool and we would sit, get up to go into the pool, sit...etc... After about 2 1/2 hours of doing this, a woman chastised me for "chair hogging":o. I said, we were sitting there, got up to go to the pool, and then are sitting back down. She sat down on the ledge near the steps (we had the lounge chairs near the steps) and continued to complain loudly. Since she was older, I normally would gladly have given up my seat because I don't like to see anyone uncomfortable, but I was really annoyed and stayed another hour ignoring her. The funny thing was there were actually tables available with chairs and areas on the sofas to sit on.

Our one time on the Summit was an early August Bermuda cruise. The ship was packed with families. Since so many staterooms had three and four occupants, all chairs were at a premium. We also had many large family groups onboard..every lounge chair was taken by 11:00am on sea days. The children's programs were over capacity which meant that they had no where to go, but the pool and hot tubs. It was my least relaxing cruise.

A great and passionate thread. I just returned from a higher end AI and was surprised to find many seats taken early in the morning with nobody to be seen. That said I could accept this practice as it seemed to be the 'unwritten' rule of the resort. The bottom line was that there were still plenty of seats available later in the day as well as the fact that it did not seem anyone was reserving seats (cabanas) in multiple areas. Ships of course are a different game altogether since pool space is so limited. It doesn't take that many inconsiderate people who decide they need chairs in more than one area to really mess things up. I have seen people reserve pool side loungers, shady lounges and then spend the full day seemingly playing cards all day.

This last group should be pretty easy to stop. Why not give each pax a plastic tag with a coded cabin no. to be placed on the chair. No tag and the chair is fair game regardless of the junk there.

Additionally, if the attendants enforce a time rule on a 'tagged' chair they have a record of whose stuff they have removed which should make recovery of same an orderly affair.. For those who are frequent abusers a record would exist of their indiscretions.

I think 90% of people are thoughtful and want to play the 'game' by the rules. Unfortunately the inconsiderate few create a lot of ill will and frustration. JMHO