Ordering Multiple Plates in Dining Room

boltnut55

Thanks for the tip

You are welcome. Combining the two threads really helps point out the distinction in "quality categories."

Waitstaff at the upper end of the spectrum pride themselves on being unobtrusive. The simple question of "not sure what I want" will usually produce an immediate offer of "...perhaps two appetizer portions...."

At the same time, however, ordering three entrees would certainly raise the eyebrows of your fellow passengers.

Waitstaff at the upper end of the spectrum pride themselves on being unobtrusive. The simple question of "not sure what I want" will usually produce an immediate offer of "...perhaps two appetizer portions...."

It's nice to know the luxury lines put a bit more effort into tailoring things to individualized tastes. Less wasteful but still get to try new things.

At the same time, however, ordering three entrees would certainly raise the eyebrows of your fellow passengers.

Why would they care? Why would *I* care?

It's nice to know the luxury lines put a bit more effort into tailoring things to individualized tastes. Less wasteful but still get to try new things.

Why would they care? Why would *I* care?

Well, now you're getting into the culture of passenger base on the premium lines. It's not so much that anyone cares if you order multiple entrees at dinner or have the servers in the casual restaurant (I.e., buffet/cafeteria style venue) pile stuff on your plate. Rather, it's just that such behavior would be so contrary to the norm. Likewise, no one may care how you dress, but jeans and tee shirts would be way-out-of-place at dinner and folks would stare if for no other reason than your sticking out like a sore thumb.

We have, on occasion, ask for a smaller plate of the entrée (creamy pasta, for example), and have been told that they are already portioned out and we don't have to eat the entire dish. So we try, and then maybe we share. Or decide to order the whole thing. Or decide to pass.

I agree! I'm on a diet, so I'm trying to lose as much as I can between now and then, but I will also be making different choices (I'm not necessarily saying "better" though). The other day I declared to the family that I'm not going to order an obligatory entrée and then eat it just because it's the next course. I'm just going to order more of the earlier courses because I like them more anyway, and they can bring them out as they please.

Many times I've ordered two apps as my entree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well, now you're getting into the culture of passenger base on the premium lines. It's not so much that anyone cares if you order multiple entrees at dinner or have the servers in the casual restaurant (I.e., buffet/cafeteria style venue) pile stuff on your plate. Rather, it's just that such behavior would be so contrary to the norm. Likewise, no one may care how you dress, but jeans and tee shirts would be way-out-of-place at dinner and folks would stare if for no other reason than your sticking out like a sore thumb.

If this thread is gross you are the most cultured one here, if you can believe it. :D

We had a table of four who ordered, 13 escargot, and 12 lobsters. Never any problems. There must have been an upset waiter, and if he had poured water on me I would have been very upset too.

Wow! That'd be a lot even for us. My brother-in-law did order 3 lobsters one time, and he was also encouraged to do so. I have never ordered multiple plates of the same thing, but I probably will this time especially if I'm not ordering an entrée. In the last year, on flights, I've had water spilled on me twice, and the flight attendants were very apologetic, but for my niece, the server didn't even acknowledge that it happened. I mean it all adds up.

Edited by boltnut55

On our last cruise we had a table of 10 where everyone came every night of the cruise. Our waiter just brought us extra things to try and share whether it be appetizers, mains or deserts. It was great fun and we were almost always about the last table to leave every night - 2nd seating.

I rarely order extra entrees... but on the last cruise i did. I get so little opportunity to eat and enjoy beef due to medical issues, so on formal night when the steak (with lobster) came out i was so enamored with it i asked them to bring just an additional steak and never regretted it. Appetizers are so tiny I'm not afraid to order two of those just for myself, usually it's a soup and something else but occasionally duplicates.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

On our recent cruise the wife in one couple ordered multiple entrees in addition to one or two appetizers and a dessert. Except for dessert, none of the dishes were finished, always sent back half-eaten.

We liked being at the same table with the same people before meeting that woman :o

Why do you care? So this woman should clean her plate because wasted food bothers you? As someone else posted, the servings are often pre-plated, so if you ask for a smaller portion, the excess may be wasted anyway. IMO, a good table mate has good table manners, stays away from controversial/political conversation, and doesn't get sloppy drunk. How much they eat or don't eat is not my business.

I will be taking my 6 year old on her first cruise in a month. I'm trying to get her to be a more adventurous eater, so I've told her that if she tries something new and doesn't like it, she can have something else. No big deal. I've been perusing menus that have been posted for our upcoming cruise. Most menus I can see a clear winner for my tastes, but on the second "chic" night I see three entrees that sound soooooo good. :D

Live and let live, people! Eat and let eat!

I will be taking my 6 year old on her first cruise in a month. I'm trying to get her to be a more adventurous eater, so I've told her that if she tries something new and doesn't like it, she can have something else. No big deal. I've been perusing menus that have been posted for our upcoming cruise. Most menus I can see a clear winner for my tastes, but on the second "chic" night I see three entrees that sound soooooo good. :D

My daughter (17) and I have similar tastes, and also have trouble deciding. We often will choose (on and off ships) to each get a different entree and then share both. That way we both get to try two dishes, but don't have too much food to eat.

We have, on occasion, ask for a smaller plate of the entrée (creamy pasta, for example), and have been told that they are already portioned out

On most premium/luxury lines, you could easily ask for appetizer or bite-sized items for a taste test. No need to order multiple anythings.

On lines such as Seabourn and Silversea, for example, entrees are not portioned out in advance of service. You may ask for as much or as little as you wish and it will be prepared a la minute. That is part of the luxury in a luxury line. Another benefit is food does not need to be wasted.

We have never had problems ordering multiple items. Sometimes two, a soup and salad, sometimes many like on lobster and escargot night our waiter will tell us to get what we want early so they don't run out. We had a table of four who ordered, 13 escargot, and 12 lobsters. Never any problems. There must have been an upset waiter, and if he had poured water on me I would have been very upset too.

I have ordered an extra entree if I wasn't sure of something else but 13 escargot orders for a table of four? Yikes!

On lines such as Seabourn and Silversea, for example, entrees are not portioned out in advance of service. You may ask for as much or as little as you wish and it will be prepared a la minute. That is part of the luxury in a luxury line. Another benefit is food does not need to be wasted.

No everyone cruises on a luxury line. Most of us "common folk" cruise on Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc. Your comments may not and probably do not apply to most people reading this.

No everyone cruises on a luxury line. Most of us "common folk" cruise on Carnival, RCCL, NCL, Princess, etc. Your comments may not and probably do not apply to most people reading this.

Actually, the original question was not limited to a certain type of ship. It merely asked whether cruisers had ordered more than one entree in the main dining room.

Just because fewer people might cruise on one type of ship does not make the information about entrees on those lines useless to readers.

There are many "common folk" here on CC who are savvy travelers with great research skills and knowledgeable resources (including top flight TAs). And you'd be surprised at how many of them know where and how to find the premium/luxury line value deals.

We recently took a 33 day cruise on the Westerdam and after a few days I commented to the waiter that we were only eating half of our food and it was too bad we could not order senior portions. Apparently it as no problem because for the rest of the cruise we were given a senior portion every night. We emptied our plates and no food went to waste.

I will remember to make the request from now on.

Hi,

I have been reading the comments regarding ordering something extra during meals. Would that also apply to a specialty restaurant. Maybe 2 appetizers or 2 desserts?

Thanks

Hi,

I have been reading the comments regarding ordering something extra during meals. Would that also apply to a specialty restaurant. Maybe 2 appetizers or 2 desserts?

I certainly can't speak for all specialty restaurants but the ones I've visited you could order as many as you want. I know at the Crown Grill one night they had halibut as a special and the waiter saw that I was having a hard time making up my mind so be brought out both the steak I was contemplating and the halibut. They were both on one plate like a surf and turf so I didn't have two plates sitting in front of me. It was delicious.

Hi,

Thanks

Most allow multiple appetizers and desserts. An extra entree however will probably have an extra charge... but I've heard of a few times where they did not mind so you'll have to play that part by ear.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Ordering multiples of any course in the MDR is seen by many as over-indulgence. It demonstrates gluttony and greed which contribute to poor dining manners.

The irony of those who adapt the "clean plate" approach today is the philosophy was first introduced during WW 1 when food was rationed and in scare supply. Today the concept is generally seen to contribute to a unhealthy life style.

We recently took a 33 day cruise on the Westerdam and after a few days I commented to the waiter that we were only eating half of our food and it was too bad we could not order senior portions. Apparently it as no problem because for the rest of the cruise we were given a senior portion every night. We emptied our plates and no food went to waste.

I will remember to make the request from now on.

Thanks for the tip about ordering a senior portion. I will mention this to my wife. I have a big appetite while my wife is easily satisfied with small portions.

Having never been on a cruise, I haven't yet experienced this dilemma. I would hope that I would never have a rude remark made by a waiter or a fellow passenger give a squinty eye if I decide to order a pasta or risotto entree for my husband and I to split along with our steak entrees.

I really feel that too many people nowadays are in other people's business, yet don't appreciate other people being in theirs. :confused:

My take is, if you want an extra plate of food, order it:

A. I am on vacation, I certainly don't do this everyday and could see myself wanting to try something new on vacation that I wouldn't want to pay extra for at home (in case I didn't like it)

B. Even if I did eat like that everyday, so what? How is that anyone else's business? And

C. The waiter gets paid a flat fee through my tips to bring me whatever I ask for, one more plate shouldn't make a difference either way to him/ her. :mad: