To Read or Not, That Is The Question?

I bring the books I want...paperbacks are lighter to carry. Not a fan of e-readers....I LIKE to turn pages! It also gives me someplace to keep my ship's key...it's my bookmark!

I've yet to find a ship's library with anything worth reading!

I read quickly. I can go through 3 books a day. I can't possibly carry enough books to keep me in books for a cruise, especially since I am trying to go with just one suitcase now. I have a Kindle, and I do read on it, but I much prefer reading a real book. Also, I like to read by the pool, and I can't read on my Kindle near water, on a beach, or in sunlight. It's fine to read on the promenade deck or in my cabin, or in a lounge. I use it to read while in transit as well. I can load up alot of books, but sometimes I find I don't like my book. One of the big reasons I love HAL is the library. If the Koningsdam keeps the library ill stocked, I will never sail her.

I really do not understand some people's obsession with the ship's library since the launching of the Koningsdam. It is taking over more threads than smoking or formal dress :eek:

ROFL ... when pigs fly :D

As to DH and I ... we like the feel of books in our hands as some others above. We each bring a paperback or 2 depending on the length of the cruise. If we finish them we leave them in the library for others to enjoy.

One thing I love to do on turn-around day is stay aboard, and check out the library when just about every book has been returned to the shelves. The choices! :D

I have read classics I never got around to in my real life, and picked up books I never would have thought to read---and enjoyed them very much. Travel can broaden your horizons in so many ways.

Cutting back on the libraries on the ships is a loss of something valuable. When the day comes that the only on-board thing the ships offer is another chance to spend money, their reason for being will be eliminated.

I'm with RuthC on this one. I usually find something to read on HAL ships that intrigues me ;)

And yes, I have books loaded on my iPad. I'll read those on the plane or while waiting to board, but there is nothing like holding a real book. And my preference and definitely DH's ;)

Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. We prefer to load up an MP3 player with audio library books while traveling. It is the most compact way to transport books. It fits into a pocket. We can download audio books from our local library for free. We listen to them while doing other activities, like walking on the promenade or relaxing on the verandah. Very convenient on the long airplane rides, and "reading" in bed without disturbing your partner. Once they are on the MP3, they stay there until you delete them. They never expire. At home I get engrossed in a good story, and time flies while I'm doing chores. Thus, if the library on the ship is good, bad, or books I'd like to read are otherwise engaged, it matters not to us. We enjoy the listening mode. :)

My preference too, for all the same reasons. Only problem is the limited selection with our local library free download since on our many recent cruises I have pretty much listened to them all - non-fictions are my own favorites.

we booked a tour of PEI and Green Gables. Sure enough the book "Anne of Green Gables" was in the ship's library so my partner was able to know the background of the story before visiting. We usually drive to port so taking a few books is not a weight problem but we enjoy the odd book in the library.

I have enjoyed ghe lHAL libfrrfies on HAL ships t iff gthey are cutting b ack. I'll b ring my own readingmaterialsincluding Surface pRO

Edited by sail7seas

We will be on the Eurodam for the first time for a 24 day cruise in Europe, and we each probably read a book a day. How is the Eurodam's library?

Also, we have spent about 40 days on the Osterdam, before her dry dock. How is the "new library" mentioned in an above post, because we are spending 21 days on her in November?

Thanks.

Does the Koningsdam not have a library?

Also, does HAL still have a book club?

They did on our last transatlantic / VOV as well as South American repositioning cruise. They brought multiple copies of the book onboard and someone on the ship led the discussions.

While I love the idea of keeping a quiet reading area on board, I can understand not stocking books. I'm a self admitted germaphobe and wonder how many people have handled, sneezed on or exposed a book to the dreaded norovirus.

I always wonder when I read about a ship being infected how they disinfect the books?

I'll keep on reading on my handy-dandy IPad

I bring the books I want...paperbacks are lighter to carry. Not a fan of e-readers....I LIKE to turn pages! It also gives me someplace to keep my ship's key...it's my bookmark!

I've yet to find a ship's library with anything worth reading!

Have you been on the QM2? An excellent library and usually crowded. If HAL thinks that the average cruiser does not enjoy reading and the availability of a library, they should send some of their execs on a Cunard ship.

I read a LOT, and electronic readers don't work for me, so I will bring at least one paperback per 3 sea days (we take long cruises!). Reading is important enough for both of us that we work it into our weight allowance. And, Mr Chew rarely fills up his carry-on, so we have plenty of room!

When I've gone through my books, I hit the library. I've always found plenty of decent fiction in the HAL libraries ... the definition of "decent" being good enough to read out on deck or on my balcony.

We leave the finished books on board ...

We will be on the Eurodam for the first time for a 24 day cruise in Europe, and we each probably read a book a day. How is the Eurodam's library?

Also, we have spent about 40 days on the Osterdam, before her dry dock. How is the "new library" mentioned in an above post, because we are spending 21 days on her in November?

Thanks.

I, too, am curious about the Oosterdam since we will be on the same cruise in November, but out of Rome. You are boarding in Barcelona?

I agree. I read both regular books and eBooks at home, but having a Kindle for travel is just wonderful. At the tip of my fingers, whether ashore, in a hotel or onboard ship I can have dozens of fiction or nonfiction books that suit my eclectic reading tastes, as well as dozens of reference books for the various ports or destinations where I'm headed.

I'm all for having a good library onboard ship, but more for reference purposes than anything else. And with my Kindle, I can also buy any new book that I hear about (e.g., mentioned by a lecturer or because of an enthusiastic review by a fellow passenger) instantly.

Honestly, sometimes one wonders if the forebears of some of these avowed book Luddites were complaining about the invention of the bound book or the printing press. I can just imagine it:

"Oh, but I love the feeling of unrolling a scroll while I read. Turning pages just isn't the same. I'll never give up my scrolls!"

"Printed books just aren't the same as hand written ones. Now everyone will be able to afford books!. It just cheapens the whole experience of reading for me. What's next, mass-produced clothing???"

Voyages to Antiquity also has a good library. But Swan Hellenic's Minerva has the best library at sea that I've experienced, especially given that she only carries about 350 passengers....!

I'm laughing too. As a retired librarian, who reads for many hours every day, whether on my iPad, or a print book, I got a kick out of your comments!

Both Tom and I love reading on our iPads, neither of us could go back to reading a page turning book. For one Tom has major problems with his eye sight in reading so he can enlarge the print to the size that is comfortable for him. Most of the books he likes to read cannot be found in large print.He prefers nook on his iPad and I prefer the Kindle app. From the beginning of cruising HAL when we brought several hard back and paperback books with us we would never find anything we wanted to read in the library and if there was it was books we already read. So to us it is definitely no loss of what HAL is doing with the libraries on board. I suspect we are in the majority which is why HAL has gone this route.

I'm laughing too. As a retired librarian, who reads for many hours every day, whether on my iPad, or a print book, I got a kick out of your comments!

I'm a book editor myself, and my grandmother was a librarian. I feel quite sure she would have embraced eBooks. It's the act of reading and the content of books that she would consider important, not the format.

As someone else mentioned, when we travel, we have to make choices about what we bring with us. My Kindle lets me 'lighten my load' without sacrificing my ability to have books to read for entertainment or for education/reference of where I'm headed. That's a win-win for me. :D And it in no way changes my enjoyment of my extensive collection of books at home -- or my enjoyment of perusing the books in the ship's library.

While I love the idea of keeping a quiet reading area on board, I can understand not stocking books. I'm a self admitted germaphobe and wonder how many people have handled, sneezed on or exposed a book to the dreaded norovirus.

I always wonder when I read about a ship being infected how they disinfect the books?

I'll keep on reading on my handy-dandy IPad

I'm not sure if this is done on every cruise with noro, but my parents have told me that when they were on some DAM ship that was in code red, the library was only open limited hours and you were not allowed to touch the books yourself. You got the librarian to unlock the cabinet and you pointed to the book you wanted. The librarian then sprayed it with some kind of disinfectant before handing it to you. :eek:

I'm a book editor myself, and my grandmother was a librarian. I feel quite sure she would have embraced eBooks. It's the act of reading and the content of books that she would consider important, not the format.

As someone else mentioned, when we travel, we have to make choices about what we bring with us. My Kindle lets me 'lighten my load' without sacrificing my ability to have books to read for entertainment or for education/reference of where I'm headed. That's a win-win for me. :D And it in no way changes my enjoyment of my extensive collection of books at home -- or my enjoyment of perusing the books in the ship's library.

That would be code red! One of our favorite things is going early in the cruise to the library. Love to read books I wouldn't necessarily buy. HAL Mariners love to read on long cruises. They need to keep the core cruisers happy:)

I'm not sure if this is done on every cruise with noro, but my parents have told me that when they were on some DAM ship that was in code red, the library was only open limited hours and you were not allowed to touch the books yourself. You got the librarian to unlock the cabinet and you pointed to the book you wanted. The librarian then sprayed it with some kind of disinfectant before handing it to you. :eek:

On the N Amsterdam cruise, library was totally shut down. No books, period.

On Prinsendam, they did what you describe above.

On the other ship I was on with Noro (not HAL), the library remained open for people to take, touch, whatever. I was shocked!

I too, like real books, but am so often disappointed in the lack of choices. I would like to suggest that HAL limit the number of books taken out to one or at the most two books,until they are returned. Perhaps a limit if 3 per cabin to allow for a fast reader! When embarking,Ihave several times seen guests walking back to their cabins with arm loads of books.....honestly, at least 12-14 for a couple. This is one reason the choice is so bad. If they took 2 books, and retuned them before taking 2 more books, we would all ba happier. Yes, it may mean back to the library hours set each day so you can't just take them out yourself, but surely they can arrange 2hours one in the aft and one inthe evening to service us. Just an idea.

I too, like real books, but am so often disappointed in the lack of choices. I would like to suggest that HAL limit the number of books taken out to one or at the most two books,until they are returned. Perhaps a limit if 3 per cabin to allow for a fast reader! When embarking,Ihave several times seen guests walking back to their cabins with arm loads of books.....honestly, at least 12-14 for a couple. This is one reason the choice is so bad. If they took 2 books, and retuned them before taking 2 more books, we would all ba happier. Yes, it may mean back to the library hours set each day so you can't just take them out yourself, but surely they can arrange 2hours one in the aft and one inthe evening to service us. Just an idea.

WOW!

Never seen people with this many books. Even when I am on a 30+day cruise, I take no more than two at at a time. I haven't noticed anyone seizing a dozen books.

Nor when we are returning.

Now, when I return, I also turn books in that I brought and paid for and have read. don't confuse those with the "borrowed"books from the library ;)

I thought I would hate reading on my iPad when I first got it. I was in the same mind frame as others who wanted "real" books. Now, three years later, I rarely pick up a real book. On the plus side, I can read in the dark if my husband is sleeping and I take 2,000 plus books with me everywhere I go. I never run out. For those who don't think you'll like an iPad, give it a try. It might take a bit to get used to but when you do you'll find it's a great choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. It took me over a year to actual try e-read. I was a firm believer nothing cld replace the feel of a real book, the turning of the pages etc. but 6 months ago I downloaded my first book and I'm hooked. It's so convenient not having to lug tons of books along with me and also reading in bed without hearing my hubby yelling "when are you turning that light out" !!!

I suspect the real reason is not so much the books, but the administration, i.e. the librarian, who spends a fair amount of time (though they always seem busy at their desk) on an activity that is not revenue-producing.

I really do not understand some people's obsession with the ship's library since the launching of the Koningsdam. It is taking over more threads than smoking or formal dress :eek:

We continually hear of people bringing power cords, over the door shoe holders, food thermometers, duct tape, cases of water bottles, on and on ... can't they bring their own book :confused:

Food thermometer's? I have never heard of someone doing that. Are they using them at all venues including the buffet?