To Read or Not, That Is The Question?

Agree...we notice it seems to be a ship by ship issue...the Nieuw Amsterdam we just got off of, had more of the good books than others we have been on, but in a 1-week cruise with family, it wasn't much of an issue.

However, one of our favorite things on board has always been HAL's libraries...the big Atlas to refer to, the assorted travel books, as well as the Best Sellers. It's one reason we probably won't bother with the Konigsdam.

I guess we'll all have to make our wishes known to HAL in Seattle...

I have found that NO ship's library can compare to my local/regional library at home. Nor can they compete with the Barnes and Noble down the street. Of course, none of these compare to what can be downloaded electronically.

Ships' libraries are a nice luxury, but really not necessary. I prefer to read actual books, and look forward to reading the new books I bring with me.

We second the dislike of reading on Kindles/iPads etc. We have always preferred the actual pages. Leaving on Koningsdam in a few weeks is a real problem for us re reading material. We will be in Europe for two weeks in addition to the 14 day cruise. We cannot bring enough books because of luggage limits/space needed for a cooler climate clothing and the length of our trip. I suspect that this will be our only Koningsdam cruise unless they solve the library issue.

I think it is imperative that Seattle hear about how important the libraries are to cruisers. It is one of the big things that sets HAL apart from other lines.

I really do not understand some people's obsession with the ship's library since the launching of the Koningsdam. It is taking over more threads than smoking or formal dress :eek:

We continually hear of people bringing power cords, over the door shoe holders, food thermometers, duct tape, cases of water bottles, on and on ... can't they bring their own book :confused:

I was on the Oosterdam in March just prior to the drydock and the CD told me most of the books (which were being boxed up the last day or so) would not return to the ship, but that the new library would be more travel and destination focused. I'll be back on her in 7 days so we shall see.

I plead guilty on the cases of water bit as well as a bunch of things I consider necessary for my comfort. I do bring books with me. From the ship's library I look for a book I would not otherwise have read.

Edited by Wehwalt

I am fond of reading books while on board as well and also prefer the feel of turning pages. Since I have 3 cruises booked on the Koningsdam I will be either purchasing books and packing and probably also buying a few at the airport or at the embarkation port. Kinda a pain but in the scope of things...no big deal!

Fond memories of one of the best books - coffee table size - that I probably never would have come across in any other way - on the Oostedam - History of Italian Cooking.

#1 fan of HAL libraries but only when they are in the "right" location - on the lower deck within easy access and not tucked way in the corner of the Crows Nest -- like the Oosterdam.

They are special quiet spaces (sshhhh people, please) and have always enjoyed their recreational and educational offerings. Plus the librarian creating a book club on longer voyages.

I thought I would hate reading on my iPad when I first got it. I was in the same mind frame as others who wanted "real" books. Now, three years later, I rarely pick up a real book. On the plus side, I can read in the dark if my husband is sleeping and I take 2,000 plus books with me everywhere I go. I never run out. For those who don't think you'll like an iPad, give it a try. It might take a bit to get used to but when you do you'll find it's a great choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bet a book swap could be organized on the Roll Calls for longer voyages. Might be a good way to meet your fellow cruisers, and try a new subject matter or genre.

Edited by HUNKY

I can understand readers preferring a real turning-pages book to an electronic reader, though I love my Kindle. But, sometimes making an adjustment when traveling to what you prefer at home is well worth it, especially for frequent cruisers. I can't imagine hauling a bunch of books in my luggage when a little Kindle slips right in my purse and weighs next to nothing. :eek:

Edit: Kindle or IPad, though a Kindle is better in the sun.

Edited by peaches from georgia

I can understand readers preferring a real turning-pages book to an electronic reader, though I love my Kindle. But, sometimes making an adjustment when traveling to what you prefer at home is well worth it, especially for frequent cruisers. I can't imagine hauling a bunch of books in my luggage when a little Kindle slips right in my purse and weighs next to nothing. :eek:

Agree that the Kindle is much better in the sun. Good advice for those who like to read outside in the sun [emoji4] I have both a Kindle and an iPad and pack the one that best suits the weather. Kinda funny, I know.

At home I much prefer a hardbound book in my lap - just feels better. I buy used books all the time, and then exchange them, or donate them to worthy causes.

However, on cruises, I take along paperbacks (not the older ones with the tiny print, though), and when I'm done with them I take them down to the ship's library and donate them. Occasionally I will pick up one from the ship's library that I want to read.

And, though I'm not particularly fond of reading on a tablet (Surface 3 in my case), I do have books on it to read, too.

Last cruise, 49 days r/t from Ft Lauderdale to Rio last year, I read 18 books. Yes, I like to read! Mysteries, mysteries, mysteries!!!

Al Carter

Edit: Forgot to mention that I fill up the "book" space in my suitcase with souvenir T shirts!!! Brought 12 home last time!!!

Edited by tabooma al
Forgot Something

I thought I would hate reading on my iPad when I first got it. I was in the same mind frame as others who wanted "real" books. Now, three years later, I rarely pick up a real book. On the plus side, I can read in the dark if my husband is sleeping and I take 2,000 plus books with me everywhere I go. I never run out. For those who don't think you'll like an iPad, give it a try. It might take a bit to get used to but when you do you'll find it's a great choice.

Wife and I love to read. We may, collectively, go through eight or ten books on a seven day cruise. We like to choose the books we will read before the cruise and not be dependent upon the selection on-board. We do not want to cart that many books around. Our IPads are wonderful.

Nor, am I going on a ship where I'm reliant upon the ship to have

One thing I love to do on turn-around day is stay aboard, and check out the library when just about every book has been returned to the shelves. The choices! :D

I have read classics I never got around to in my real life, and picked up books I never would have thought to read---and enjoyed them very much. Travel can broaden your horizons in so many ways.

Cutting back on the libraries on the ships is a loss of something valuable. When the day comes that the only on-board thing the ships offer is another chance to spend money, their reason for being will be eliminated.

I have been trying to like reading on my iPad but in three years it hasn't happened so I start out with a number of paperbacks. As I finish them I either give them to someone onboard or leave them in the book exchange in the library.

I enjoy having a library on board and have found some new authors that I might never have read otherwise. I agree that putting the library in the Crow's Nest is not the best location but better than nothing.

BTW, if you want to see an amazing library at sea, cruise on a Cunard ship.

Holland America's libraries always seem to have a bizarre selection of odd books, most have never seen a best seller list. It makes me wonder if the better books get stolen. Nonetheless, I have always found something to check out and enjoy. I think I will be investing in a Kindle, no point taking chances.

I would think that surely somewhere on a big ship there is room for bookcases on a wall. I also suspect the guests don't really need a librarian there but are capable of picking up and returning books on the honor system.

If in their infinite wisdom the holland execs don't want to spend the meager amount required to stock a library then surely they could at least set up a section of bookcases somewhere for a paperback exchange. News flash Holland: You can pick up thousands of paperback books for pennies at your local Seattle bookstores, libraries, church sales etc.

I often read a book every two days and do a lot of long cruises. I really don't want to have to pack a suitcase full of books and have enjoyed the libraries on many holland ships for years....and like many others i do not want to read on a kindle or computer but a good ole fashion printed book.

It seems that many of the Kdam reviewers bring up the no library concern.

Maybe just maybe some Holland execs could address this very simple amenity.

Edited by dockman

Everybody is entitled to their own preferences. We prefer to load up an MP3 player with audio library books while traveling. It is the most compact way to transport books. It fits into a pocket. We can download audio books from our local library for free. We listen to them while doing other activities, like walking on the promenade or relaxing on the verandah. Very convenient on the long airplane rides, and "reading" in bed without disturbing your partner. Once they are on the MP3, they stay there until you delete them. They never expire. At home I get engrossed in a good story, and time flies while I'm doing chores. Thus, if the library on the ship is good, bad, or books I'd like to read are otherwise engaged, it matters not to us. We enjoy the listening mode. :)

Edited by JJPacer

I agree. I read both regular books and eBooks at home, but having a Kindle for travel is just wonderful. At the tip of my fingers, whether ashore, in a hotel or onboard ship I can have dozens of fiction or nonfiction books that suit my eclectic reading tastes, as well as dozens of reference books for the various ports or destinations where I'm headed.

I'm all for having a good library onboard ship, but more for reference purposes than anything else. And with my Kindle, I can also buy any new book that I hear about (e.g., mentioned by a lecturer or because of an enthusiastic review by a fellow passenger) instantly.

Honestly, sometimes one wonders if the forebears of some of these avowed book Luddites were complaining about the invention of the bound book or the printing press. I can just imagine it:

"Oh, but I love the feeling of unrolling a scroll while I read. Turning pages just isn't the same. I'll never give up my scrolls!"

"Printed books just aren't the same as hand written ones. Now everyone will be able to afford books!. It just cheapens the whole experience of reading for me. What's next, mass-produced clothing???"

BTW, if you want to see an amazing library at sea, cruise on a Cunard ship.

Voyages to Antiquity also has a good library. But Swan Hellenic's Minerva has the best library at sea that I've experienced, especially given that she only carries about 350 passengers....!

Bringing hard copy books is all a matter of weight. Also, when I check electronic books out of the library, I am never certain which of the books that I check out I will actually enjoy reading. For this reason, I usually check out as many as 30 or 40 books. I know that I will never actually read all or even most of them but I also know that I will find something interesting among the books that I check out.

One problem is that we can only check books out for 21 days and we are often gone for more than that so I often have to find a wi-fi site somewhere to get new books. I make a list of the new books that I do not check out on the first pass and hope that some of them are still available when I return for a new set of books.

DON

I agree. I read both regular books and eBooks at home, but having a Kindle for travel is just wonderful. At the tip of my fingers, whether ashore, in a hotel or onboard ship I can have dozens of fiction or nonfiction books that suit my eclectic reading tastes, as well as dozens of reference books for the various ports or destinations where I'm headed.

I'm all for having a good library onboard ship, but more for reference purposes than anything else. And with my Kindle, I can also buy any new book that I hear about (e.g., mentioned by a lecturer or because of an enthusiastic review by a fellow passenger) instantly.

Honestly, sometimes one wonders if the forebears of some of these avowed book Luddites were complaining about the invention of the bound book or the printing press. I can just imagine it:

"Oh, but I love the feeling of unrolling a scroll while I read. Turning pages just isn't the same. I'll never give up my scrolls!"

"Printed books just aren't the same as hand written ones. Now everyone will be able to afford books!. It just cheapens the whole experience of reading for me. What's next, mass-produced clothing???"

Voyages to Antiquity also has a good library. But Swan Hellenic's Minerva has the best library at sea that I've experienced, especially given that she only carries about 350 passengers....!

I love it :D. Thank you for the laugh.

I also suspect the guests don't really need a librarian there but are capable of picking up and returning books on the honor system.

I suspect that a lot of books go 'missing', along with silverware, towels, and anything else that isn't nailed down.