Switched to insides after mini-suites. Thank you Princess!

Loreni

We had been sailing almost exclusively in mini-suites for years. Hate the new balcony furniture. We had an opportunity last year to sail for four weeks in an inside for a very good price. We weren't sure if we could do this after the mini-suites.

Well we could. No problem. Perhaps DH enjoys the mini-suites 10% more than an inside. This is not worth paying at least 100-200% more to obtain. For me, the math makes even less sense, since I enjoyed the cruise in inside cabin much more.

How can this be? One of main benefits of the mini-suite, for me, is the balcony. It is very hard for me to obtain any value from it with the new furniture. I have found ways to roll up multiple towels and arrange pillows and stack the footrests. It takes several minutes to set this up and break it down everytime I want to use the balcony. After a few days, I just stop bothering and use the public spaces, but I feel foolish and guilty knowing that I paid for a balcony that I can't use. So then, I force myself to go through the effort of setting up my balcony seating again...and even with my best efforts, it is not that comfortable.

I actually saw people put portable chairs (like for going to see fireworks) on their balcony. Thought about doing it next cruise, but after a few days, I never saw these folks on their balcony again. Maybe Princess stopped them from using their own furniture.

So with a inside, I just go the the promenade deck and enjoy a nice teak steamer chair and a better view of the sea...no guilt...no time wasted with pillows and cushions.

We need to thank Princess for teaching us how good an inside cabin can be. Perhaps their intention with the new furniture was to get us out in the public spaces where we can spend money. Well it was only 50% successful because even though they did get us out of the cabin, we don't spend money on the promenade deck. Perhaps the next step will be to put uncomfortable furniture on the promenade deck too or just take away the furniture and/or promenade deck completely. Wait a minute...isn't that what is happening on the new ships?

It doesn't matter what cabin you have because every passenger gets the same food, the same entertainment, the same activities and ports. Sailing in an inside cabin means you will have the money to take more cruises!! Congratulations on a wise choice. :)

It doesn't matter what cabin you have because every passenger gets the same food, the same entertainment, the same activities and ports. Sailing in an inside cabin means you will have the money to take more cruises!! Congratulations on a wise choice. :)

That's right!

We had been sailing almost exclusively in mini-suites for years. Hate the new balcony furniture. We had an opportunity last year to sail for four weeks in an inside for a very good price. We weren't sure if we could do this after the mini-suites.

Well we could. No problem. Perhaps DH enjoys the mini-suites 10% more than an inside. This is not worth paying at least 100-200% more to obtain. For me, the math makes even less sense, since I enjoyed the cruise in inside cabin much more.

How can this be? One of main benefits of the mini-suite, for me, is the balcony. It is very hard for me to obtain any value from it with the new furniture. I have found ways to roll up multiple towels and arrange pillows and stack the footrests. It takes several minutes to set this up and break it down everytime I want to use the balcony. After a few days, I just stop bothering and use the public spaces, but I feel foolish and guilty knowing that I paid for a balcony that I can't use. So then, I force myself to go through the effort of setting up my balcony seating again...and even with my best efforts, it is not that comfortable.

I actually saw people put portable chairs (like for going to see fireworks) on their balcony. Thought about doing it next cruise, but after a few days, I never saw these folks on their balcony again. Maybe Princess stopped them from using their own furniture.

So with a inside, I just go the the promenade deck and enjoy a nice teak steamer chair and a better view of the sea...no guilt...no time wasted with pillows and cushions.

We need to thank Princess for teaching us how good an inside cabin can be. Perhaps their intention with the new furniture was to get us out in the public spaces where we can spend money. Well it was only 50% successful because even though they did get us out of the cabin, we don't spend money on the promenade deck. Perhaps the next step will be to put uncomfortable furniture on the promenade deck too or just take away the furniture and/or promenade deck completely. Wait a minute...isn't that what is happening on the new ships?

Putting chairs brought from shore would probably not be a good idea due to the possibility of fire.

I would not take the chance. :(

We have made the switch also. Last 4 cruises were an inside and our upcoming one is also. While a balcony is nice, it's not worth the increased cost.

Will be cruising 4 times this year with Princess because of the switch to insides.

You are 1000% correct and then you save lots of $$$.

Putting chairs brought from shore would probably not be a good idea due to the possibility of fire.

I know. I think the folding chairs were taken away from these people. But it does show the level of frustration people are feeling about the furniture. The decision to purchase the new balcony furniture by Princess either reflects gross incompetence or it is a rather transparent effort to keep us off the balcony. Given the size of the balconies on Regal/Royal/Magistic, I have my theory.

Edited by Loreni

I know. I think the folding chairs were taken away from these people. But it does show the level of frustration people are feeling about the furniture. The decision to purchase the new balcony furniture by Princess either reflects gross incompetence or it is a rather transparent effort to keep us off the balcony. Given the size of the balconies on Regal/Royal/Magistic, I have my theory.

I hear ya! :(

We started out in balconies and minis and very soon realized we could take more cruises if we went to insides. Then we discovered the wonderful location on Aloha/Riviera deck (depending on the ship). There's a door out to the aft pool and up one flight of stairs is the buffet and the Outrigger bar.

Our own semi-private balcony.:eek: ;)

This is an interesting twist. Most people only move up in cabin categories. Interesting perspective. ;)

Reminds me of when I upgraded from a King size bed to a Queen at home. :D

Reminds me of when I upgraded from a King size bed to a Queen at home. :D

Well there could be some benefits depending upon the dimensions of your room. And if you take advice from Martha Stewart she believes that a queen sized bed offers better proportions from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

I'd sail more often in an inside if I could talk DH into one. I did book us one on our first cruise to New England/Canada--right after our first time in a balcony cabin. At the time, the difference in price was enough to pay for our airfare, excursions, tips, and drinks.

Maybe after we're both retired early next year, I'll be able to talk him into another inside cabin. Our last one was several years ago on a Celebrity ship. We've taken nine cruises in balcony cabins and six in ocean view cabins (including a few obstructed views) since our last inside cabin.

Well there could be some benefits depending upon the dimensions of your room. And if you take advice from Martha Stewart she believes that a queen sized bed offers better proportions from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

What did she have to say about her single bed?

Hi

We just moved from always booking inside to obstructed view cost was about £7 a day more,

but layout so much better than inside.

yours Shogun

Excellent point, and well worth considering.

For us, the bed was a lot less expensive, but then also sheet sets are cheaper and an increase in snuggling (that's kind of more my win).

You mean the chairs catching on fire, or as blocking egress in a fire situation. Doubt fire would be the reason, but rather the risk of wind blowing the chairs overboard.

I used 2 umbrellas on our Panama canal cruise on the dolphin deck on the Island and had no complaints or query from anyone on the ship. Now I know, that it would most likely not be approved again, but no-one said a word on those 15 days. I"ve since been educated by the forum police since then.

I absolutely hate using the new chairs. The last few sailings I have been on with the new chairs, we stood outside. I have absolutely no issues going from mini suites (what I have booked previously) to inside/outside cabins.

These are the worst chairs I have ever sat in.

For a little while longer anyways, until the new Club Class kicks in......then there's a difference in dining/food, beyond what's already different for suites (suite breakfast, full room service menus, etc).... Otherwise, I'm with you there. Have always enjoyed Princess's (mostly) egalitarian philosophy...

We often sail with a third person (DH's sister). On these cruises we book either a Premium Balcony or Mini Suite for the added space. When it just the two of us, we book an Obstructed Oceanview (DH *must* have a window). We did sail once in an inside cabin which was fine with me but not-so-much with DH.

When we first started sailing, we always went for the cheapest, not always the best cabins. Insides worked well at first, then we found the obstructed oceanview were just a little more money, and you had the natural light, which we find a plus. When we would take a break in the inside cabin, the lack of light would always put us to sleep, anytime of the day. We do enjoy our balconies, but the past three years, Princess has used the Royal and Regal on the repositioning from NY to Ft Lauderdale. By not having the option of an ocean view, going from inside to a balcony is prohibitive in cost. This year we won't even consider this particular cruise, because its so expensive. So we booked the obstructed ocean view on Lido deck on the Caribbean Princess. We can take three cruises on the CB vs one on the Regal.

I wonder what would happen if you were in a mini suite and requested that teak furniture be brought up and swapped out...they actually may grant the request..

i wonder if anyone has tried it..

I'm another who has given up on balconies due to the chairs. They're like sitting on concrete and extremely uncomfortable. If I can't enjoy my balcony because of the furniture, why pay for it? Old on the left, "new" (changed several years ago) on the right.

616d853d5508dc3d90fbd7a98c968983.jpg