No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

Hi all--I am the OP. It took over a week to get a final answer from NCL. After speaking to an access desk rep myself, she said a supervisor would be calling me back. I shot an email that day too. Never received an email response or a call back. Had to call back myself.

After 2 days waiting for a supervisor (I have a life outside of this issue before everyone critiques why I waited 2 days), I called the access desk back. I was first told the supervisor was on vacation. There's only one???!!! When I pressed the issue, that rep went back to the original rep & she said the supervisor emailed the Executive desk & I would hear from them. Well, I wasn't waiting anymore & asked to speak to executive desk immediately...which I did. She was very apologetic, kept putting me on hold, talking to others, blah, blah, blah....but in the end there is NOTHING they are willing to do. She assured me there is Gatorade on board. I asked if I could pay for a pack/case now & have it delivered to the room on arrival, but they won't do that. I have to find it myself. Thank NCL, that's how I want to spend my embarkation process.

Yes, I will be purchasing a few cases of water at ridiculous prices, none of which I budgeted for when I booked this cruise. We have 2 rooms, 4 kids & will be using money we budgeted for other activities to use to buy the drinks my husbands needs. We save up to take our family on one awesome vacation/year. So yes, a few hundred dollars extra is a lot.

We will enjoy our cruise. We will go on with our lives. My point was to draw awareness that NCL doesn't care that they changed the rules & it DOES impact some of it's passengers. It doesn't make a difference to most people, but it does for some. We were within final payment & this new policy had repercussions for US. If it didn't impact you, then carry on & consider yourself lucky. And thank you to those who suggested the powdered Gatorade. I will be bringing that too. I have not seen it in stores, but I knew it existed. I've seen it many times on athletic fields. Our system of bottles works for us at home & since I never had this issue, I did not need to buy it on land. Some suggested I should have known about it since my husbands life depends on it. Pretty ignorant statement. I hope karma takes care of you soon.

This is my final post on this subject. Again, thanks to all for your support & suggestions.

ok... one more post!

Dehydration due to my husband's condition is one of the easier issues to control & deal. NCL just made it more difficult & more expensive.

Look up "total colectomy" and you will see other things we face every day & some of you might understand a little more why this aggravated me. Vacation & activities takes a lot of planning around this condition.

Again, thanks for listening & count your blessings that you don't have to factor in issues when on vacation.

After 2 days waiting for a supervisor (I have a life outside of this issue before everyone critiques why I waited 2 days), I called the access desk back. I was first told the supervisor was on vacation. There's only one???!!! When I pressed the issue, that rep went back to the original rep & she said the supervisor emailed the Executive desk & I would hear from them. Well, I wasn't waiting anymore & asked to speak to executive desk immediately...which I did. She was very apologetic, kept putting me on hold, talking to others, blah, blah, blah....but in the end there is NOTHING they are willing to do. She assured me there is Gatorade on board. I asked if I could pay for a pack/case now & have it delivered to the room on arrival, but they won't do that. I have to find it myself. Thank NCL, that's how I want to spend my embarkation process.

Thanks for the follow up. I appreciate hearing about your experience and the handling of your concerns by the Customer No Service department. NCL has become the Department of Motor Vehicles of the cruise industry.

It is a cautionary tale for those of us concerned about the continuing changes this business has had, and from the looks of it, will continue to have. You simply can't rely on NCL any longer to be consistent. It would be good practice to review everything right before sailing because you never know what else might change between now and the sailing date.

Hi all--I am the OP. It took over a week to get a final answer from NCL ... blah, blah, blah....but in the end there is NOTHING they are willing to do ... NCL doesn't care that they changed the rules & it DOES impact some of it's passengers. It doesn't make a difference to most people, but it does for some. We were within final payment & this new policy had repercussions for US. If it didn't impact you, then carry on & consider yourself lucky .... Some suggested I should have known ... I hope karma takes care of you soon ...

OP, thank you for sharing the final update. Our best regards & wishes for the family and you on the upcoming cruise vacation.

From the proverb dating back to the Native Americans' Cherokee tribe, in the rush to their own speculations - "don’t judge a man (person) until you have walked a mile in his shoes".

NCL's handling of your request is very consistent and similar to other disappointing updates shared not just here but on other sites. To maximize profit for ROI for shareholders, they might as well - IMO - merge and consolidate their Access Desk and Customer Service - into Sales as one. For someone with pre-existing health conditions traveling with NCL, good luck when you sail.

Just one more straw onto the camel's back, to some. For others, carry on. Who's going to win big and who's going to lose out, we each come to our own conclusions. Cheers !

Hi all--I am the OP. It took over a week to get a final answer from NCL. After speaking to an access desk rep myself, she said a supervisor would be calling me back. I shot an email that day too. Never received an email response or a call back. Had to call back myself.

Yes, I will be purchasing a few cases of water at ridiculous prices, none of which I budgeted for when I booked this cruise. We have 2 rooms, 4 kids & will be using money we budgeted for other activities to use to buy the drinks my husbands needs. We save up to take our family on one awesome vacation/year. So yes, a few hundred dollars extra is a lot.

We will enjoy our cruise. We will go on with our lives. My point was to draw awareness that NCL doesn't care that they changed the rules & it DOES impact some of it's passengers. It doesn't make a difference to most people, but it does for some. We were within final payment & this new policy had repercussions for US. If it didn't impact you, then carry on & consider yourself lucky. And thank you to those who suggested the powdered Gatorade. I will be bringing that too. I have not seen it in stores, but I knew it existed. I've seen it many times on athletic fields. Our system of bottles works for us at home & since I never had this issue, I did not need to buy it on land. Some suggested I should have known about it since my husbands life depends on it. Pretty ignorant statement. I hope karma takes care of you soon.

This is my final post on this subject. Again, thanks to all for your support & suggestions.

Thank you so much for posting the outcome. Very sorry it wasn't better news for you. So often people post something and never come back to tell us the outcome. Hope that something changes for you before your cruise but does not look like anything will happen. I have never condoned passengers withholding the DSC but in your case I would be sorely tempted to deduct the exhorbitant amount you have to pay for the water prices from your DSC and make it clear why you deducted it. That might help NCL to change the policy.

I sincerely hope you and your family have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Wendy

OP, thank you for letting us know the outcome. I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for. It's too bad you can't use a filtering water bottle as an alternative. :( Have a wonderful cruise!

I have never condoned passengers withholding the DSC but in your case I would be sorely tempted to deduct the exhorbitant amount you have to pay for the water prices from your DSC and make it clear why you deducted it. That might help NCL to change the policy.

Wendy

Why??? I just don't understand the few who've given this advice. The crew didn't make this decision and removing the DSC would be punishing the crew. It makes no sense to me. I could never allow my steward or waiter or whomever is giving me service to work hard for a tip they would never see. :mad:

Sorry, I thought it might be something like ensure. If it is water that they carry, then I don't understand why a medical waiver would work, since it would just be a way for the passenger to save money. If it is something that NCL doesn't carry, then I think a medical waiver would be in order.

There was a poster on Facebook that said she had to have water and juice for her young child that had type 1 diabetes. I suggested that she order extra juice from room service (during continental breakfast hours that would be free) and put it in a water bottles, place it in the fridge and it could be used on the ship and when they went ashore. Even though it was a logical solution to her issue, she didn't seem to want a solution.

Unless things have changed since we cruised with NCL, the orange juice is really an orange drink. It has high fructose corn syrup, which gives me terrible stomach issues. We eat most of our meals in the dining room. The kitchen makes sure I do not have food with HFCS in it.

OP, thank you for letting us know the outcome. I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for. It's too bad you can't use a filtering water bottle as an alternative. :( Have a wonderful cruise!

Why??? I just don't understand the few who've given this advice. The crew didn't make this decision and removing the DSC would be punishing the crew. It makes no sense to me. I could never allow my steward or waiter or whomever is giving me service to work hard for a tip they would never see. :mad:

I also advocate OP removing the DSC to alleviate some of the unexpected costs due to NCL changing the rules after final payment.

Perhaps it would help you understand why I support the removal of these charges. NCL has the resources to pay Mr Del Rio triple the salary of other lines which are much larger, so they can certainly replace any funds that are deducted by OP.

The second item I will mention is that NCL is not forthcoming about how the DSC is distributed, so none of us know if the people giving the service to us are receiving any of that money.

Next item is that NCL saw fit to offer the DSC as a booking bonus, so they were playing fast and loose with money that we are led to believe was for the crew.

Trying to lay a guilt trip on those of us who can see through the thin veneer that NCL is pasting on this fund will not work, so again to the OP--- Take back the DSC to defray your costs since it means much more to you than to NCL and the crew will not see a reduction in their pay because of it.

Edited by swedish weave

Unless things have changed since we cruised with NCL, the orange juice is really an orange drink. It has high fructose corn syrup, which gives me terrible stomach issues. We eat most of our meals in the dining room. The kitchen makes sure I do not have food with HFCS in it.

In the buffet there's a counter selling fresh-squeezed OJ.

ok... one more post!

Dehydration due to my husband's condition is one of the easier issues to control & deal. NCL just made it more difficult & more expensive.

Look up "total colectomy" and you will see other things we face every day & some of you might understand a little more why this aggravated me. Vacation & activities takes a lot of planning around this condition.

Again, thanks for listening & count your blessings that you don't have to factor in issues when on vacation.

I hope in spite of all this that once you actually board you enjoy your vacation and make some memories.

I think NCL's decision is shameful.

. . .

Why? Free purified water is plentiful and readily available on the ship and OP can bring powdered gatorade on board. OP is making something out of nothing.

I did not read all 16 pages. But I think it all depends on what "certain drinks" are. The OP was not specific in the first post of what exactly NCL wont allow to be brought on board. If its medicine or RX I would be surprised if they would not allow it.

If its a drink like regular juices or Gatorade (as I did read that one) then NCL can clearly forbid those drinks since they are offered on board.

My experience is NCL is very accommodating with those with eating disorders or disabilities. My sister (who has M.S.) was able to get out of an excursion with full refund because the heat was so bad it would have aggravated her condition. They simply asked why and then said nothing further and refunded the money just hours before the excursion.

Edited by david_sobe

Haven't been on CC for a bit and happened upon ( like it could be avoided) this any many other Water /Coke threads.

OP- I have had Crohn's disease since I was 15. I have had multiple surgeries and resections of perforated intestines I have lived for 30 years with this disease which never, ever stops. I can have good days, I can have bad. There is no cure, removing damaged bowel helps until the rest of my "tubes" get attacked.

I take my meds, I have a functional colostomy . I need fluids as well. I understand that you find water bottles convenient and that you also like the convenience of liquid Gatorade.

I am an advanced practice nurse and married to a physician .I know about what I speak.There is no need for bottled water in your husbands condition and you have even intimated as such. While you have said you find it convenient, I find your reaction over the top. We never bring on bottled water. I need as much as your spouse and I drink it out of my favorite covered Tervis tumbler. I'll grab an occasional liter bottle from the ship, be it Royal, X or NCL if I don't want to carry my tumbler on an excursion.

I can't relay what I want to say without being snarky right now. I have just read this entire thread . Perhaps when you are 10 years out from your husband's surgery you will be able to see that in the grand scheme of life, one that he and I have both been given a second chance at, that this water bottle issue is Not worth the anguished days you have spent fighting with NCL over it. The easiest solution has been mentioned many times and you take offense. I KNOW that it sucks, completely sucks to have the burden of special dietary needs. But my goodness! He needs water and electrolytes, not TPN!

I always have a pitcher of water brought to our cabin. I do what LrgPizza was attacked for saying and that is I carry single-serving electrolyte drink packs. I don't pay the ridiculous bottled water price on ANY ship and never carry on my own fluids except in two rare instances where I needed supplemental nutrition.

We always purchase trip insurance right away as I obviously have a pre-existing condition .

When I was first diagnosed it was very easy for my caregivers , my wonderful parents, to fall into the role of victim. Our lives were not easy with hospitalizations, trips to this institution or that university hospital, medications with huge price tags . I have been near death at least 15 times, on a ventilator with long ICU stays. Crohn's disease kills. It can't be stopped, it can't be cured. It can be controlled at times. There are varying degrees of severity.

I understand the shock of the price of the water. But my goodness. use the pitcher. I'll be leaving CC after this post forever as the whole environment here has changed from a helpful site to a vitriol -filled attack the cruise lines site. I have been a long time lurker and recent member, but I'm pretty done after just one morning.

Your husband is alive . A disease that once was nearly always fatal is now curable. Embrace this! Enjoy your cruise! M also willing to wager that you are much more upset about this than is he.

God Bless you and have a great cruise. The water from the pitcher is tasty.embrace the joy of the cruise.

Edited by Zabetty

Haven't been on CC for a bit and happened upon ( like it could be avoided) this any many other Water /Coke threads.

OP- I have had Crohn's disease since I was 15. I have had multiple surgeries and resections of perforated intestines I have lived for 30 years with this disease which never, ever stops. I can have good days, I can have bad. There is no cure, removing damaged bowel helps until the rest of my "tubes" get attacked.

I take my meds, I have a functional colostomy . I need fluids as well. I understand that you find water bottles convenient and that you also like the convenience of liquid Gatorade.

I am an advanced practice nurse and married to a physician .I know about what I speak.There is no need for bottled water in your husbands condition and you have even intimated as such. While you have said you find it convenient, I find your reaction over the top. We never bring on bottled water. I need as much as your spouse and I drink it out of my favorite covered Tervis tumbler. I'll grab an occasional liter bottle from the ship, be it Royal, X or NCL if I don't want to carry my tumbler on an excursion.

I can't relay what I want to say without being snarky right now. I have just read this entire thread . Perhaps when you are 10 years out from your husband's surgery you will be able to see that in the grand scheme of life, one that he and I have both been given a second chance at, that this water bottle issue is Not worth the anguished days you have spent fighting with NCL over it. The easiest solution has been mentioned many times and you take offense. I KNOW that it sucks, completely sucks to have the burden of special dietary needs. But my goodness! He needs water and electrolytes, not TPN!

I always have a pitcher of water brought to our cabin. I do what LrgPizza was attacked for saying and that is I carry single-serving electrolyte drink packs. I don't pay the ridiculous bottled water price on ANY ship and never carry on my own fluids except in two rare instances where I needed supplemental nutrition.

We always purchase trip insurance right away as I obviously have a pre-existing condition .

When I was first diagnosed it was very easy for my caregivers , my wonderful parents, to fall into the role of victim. Our lives were not easy with hospitalizations, trips to this institution or that university hospital, medications with huge price tags . I have been near death at least 15 times, on a ventilator with long ICU stays. Crohn's disease kills. It can't be stopped, it can't be cured. It can be controlled at times. There are varying degrees of severity.

I understand the shock of the price of the water. But my goodness. use the pitcher. I'll be leaving CC after this post forever as the whole environment here has changed from a helpful site to a vitriol -filled attack the cruise lines site. I have been a long time lurker and recent member, but I'm pretty done after just one morning.

Your husband is alive . A disease that once was nearly always fatal is now curable. Embrace this! Enjoy your cruise! M also willing to wager that you are much more upset about this than is he.

God Bless you and have a great cruise. The water from the pitcher is tasty.embrace the joy of the cruise.

You just stated everything I had been thinking with the knowledge and experience to back it up. Hopefully OP pays attention to your wise words.

Great perspective!

A post that is a breath of fresh air and full of wisdom!

Edited by JVilleGal

No, don't leave!

I can say from experience that many people with chronic conditions get stuck in a routine and become practically afraid to change it. Well, that means you're also shutting out possibly better routines and treatment plans.

It would not surprise me at all to see the OP come back to rave about the virtues of powdered Gatorade and how liberated they feel not having to lug crates of liquid around. It's cheaper too.

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. Many greatly appreciate it.

I understand why you don't want to stick around. I hope you do for the fact you have an honesty and temperament much needed here.

Thank you Zabetty for not only giving us the professional take on all this, but your personal experience as well.

Please don't leave just because of a few, just ignore them and continue to post and voice your opinions and share your knowledge with all of us.

Zabetty, thank you for sharing your experience and opinion. I was one of the people who felt NCL should give a waiver for this because the OP indicated her husband's doctor required him to drink bottled water, but after following the thread as it's evolved, it does sound like that's a convenience and not a requirement. I appreciate both your personal and professional sharing.

I do hope you'll stick around. As suggested, you can use the ignore feature to make CC a better place to be. There's a lot of great information here that sometimes gets lost in the midst of all the complaints.