Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

It will be interesting to see how much of Cuba that they do. If only an overnight in Havana than not worth it. They really need to do much more to make it a real Cuba trip.

Does everyone want an entire Cuba trip? Perhaps some want just a "Tapas" size taste? Cruisers have been doing small tastes of major regions/cities for years. Some try and do Rome as a port....perhaps a more egregious error than Havana as a port?

Does everyone want an entire Cuba trip? Perhaps some want just a "Tapas" size taste? Cruisers have been doing small tastes of major regions/cities for years. Some try and do Rome as a port....perhaps a more egregious error than Havana as a port?

Thank you for your comments! We will be more than happy to try this taste of Cuba should it happen. Our TA says things "look good" but cannot confirm until port details are secured. We didn't book this cruise specifically for Cuba, but if it becomes part of our itinerary we will be thrilled to be part of Oceania history. We agree with Paulchili - Well done Mr. Del Rio!

Thank you for your comments! We will be more than happy to try this taste of Cuba should it happen. Our TA says things "look good" but cannot confirm until port details are secured. We didn't book this cruise specifically for Cuba, but if it becomes part of our itinerary we will be thrilled to be part of Oceania history. We agree with Paulchili - Well done Mr. Del Rio!

LOL...thanks for YOUR post! I emailed my TA about 2017 and 2018 shortly after I saw your post and link!

Havana is a great place to start and is probably best prepared to receive cruise ships and larger groups of tourists.

But there are many other places worth a visit - Cienfuegos, Trinidad come to mind - that will eventually be included on Cuba tours, I am sure. I don't know if they are ready for large cruise ships yet but I believe other smaller ships visit there now.

These itineraries will bring some new excitement into the same old/same old Carib cruises, IMO.

Edited by Paulchili

These itineraries will bring some new excitement into the same old/same old Carib cruises, IMO.

You succinctly stated my feelings exactly!! It's just enough forbidden fruit that US cruisers might find interesting.

Edited by buggins0402

No, not an entire trip, but 4 or 5 days out of 12/14 would be the right way to start, I think. I will not do 2 days out of a trip that I would have no interest in the other ports. We have no idea what the plans really are so will just have to sit and wait. I am sure Oceania will get it right.

Our 10 day itinerary has been changed to an overnight in Havana, three ports dropped, one not worth getting off the ship for and three others that we have not been to before. We booked before the O Life benefits were reduced, got a good price on our cabin and will be seeing Cuba for the first time from the beautiful Marina. We are pleased with these changes and are really looking forward to this cruise. Thanks FDR :D:D:D

Our 10 day itinerary has been changed to an overnight in Havana, three ports dropped, one not worth getting off the ship for and three others that we have not been to before. We booked before the O Life benefits were reduced, got a good price on our cabin and will be seeing Cuba for the first time from the beautiful Marina. We are pleased with these changes and are really looking forward to this cruise. Thanks FDR :D:D:D

Congrats!!! An overnight makes it that much better. Please come back and give us a port review.

He was quoted as having said that oceania would not go to Cuba until the "old man" was dead.

Timing is spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fidels brother is cut from the same cloth as Fidel, even more so... Our US relation with Cuba, in light of the new administrations demand they allow cuban some freedom and stop political arrests, etc, is not going to happen under Raul... I seriously see the Obama Castro agreement to get pulled pretty soon in 2017 The new sheriff has demands to be met to continue... dont hold your breath till Raul is in the box too

Oceania Cruises is excited to unveil its first three inaugural voyages from Miami to Cuba. Yesterday, we received official government approval from the Republic of Cuba to operate cruises to the island, beginning March 2017. We will inaugurate calls in Cuba with one 14-day and two 10-day Caribbean cruises from Miami aboard Marina. Each of these voyages will call on the storied city of Havana with two of the voyages staying overnight and offering guests two full days in this legendary destination.

MARCH 7, 2017 | 14 DAYS

Miami, Key West, Havana, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Harvest Caye, Puerto Limon, Colón, Cartagena, George Town, Miami

MARCH 21, 2017 | 10 DAYS

Miami, Havana (2 Days), Santo Tomas, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, George Town, Miami

MARCH 31, 2017 | 10 DAYS

Miami, Costa Maya, Harvest Caye, Roatan, Havana (2 Days), Nassau, Miami

jancruz1

We were already booked on the 10 day, March 31 sailing from Miami. Booked it for one reason - sun and warm after a Midwest Winter. The ship was our destination and at the time of the Labor Day sale, this cruise was incredibly inexpensive. Today, it became a bucket list cruise and we are delighted!

We were already booked on the 10 day, March 31 sailing from Miami. Booked it for one reason - sun and warm after a Midwest Winter. The ship was our destination and at the time of the Labor Day sale, this cruise was incredibly inexpensive. Today, it became a bucket list cruise and we are delighted!

We really would like to book this cruise but there is so much uncertainty of what will happen in January we are reluctant to do so. We would hate to pay all that money and find after final payment Havana is a no go.

We were hoping to take a MyCuba cruise last year but did not get to join my sister and friends. Ironically they went on DH enthusiasm and we ended up not going. That is certainly not a ship or cruise anything like Oceania but what did really appeal was the circumnavigation of Cuba and seemed like a perfect way for a seven day quick tour.

Like Newbie60 were also booked on March 31 sailing to get bit of a winter escape (though that time of year it is usually pretty nice year). For a cruise like this Havana is perfect for us as we prefer meeting people and cultures and not shopping or cabanas. Even though we had not visited most of those ports, we don't scuba dive and we're not shoppers and we are not 'lay out in the sun' types so it was mostly for the getaway. And that's why we chose O over the great many other cruise lines that visit all the same ports. If ports and activities were a priority than another line would probably make more sense.

So the addition of Havana is excellent!

However on our particular sailing it really is not the two days as described as the ship leaves at 11 AM so not really any time to do anything before all aboard. In fact, I struggle a little bit with the changes to this itinerary but I assume it's like this because that was the only day we were able to get in Havana (period). There are other ships that want to get into Havana in March too. Another sailing the ship leaves at 6 pm so it is a practical 2 day visit.

Otherwise it would've made far more sense, to me anyway, to spend a real two days in Havana at the end of the 10 day itinerary and then disembark the next day in Miami. Instead we leave at 11 AM, so that basically becomes a sea day, and then another sea day, and then spend the day in Nassau as a new port. Not what I would've chosen.

If we were not already booked on this and not looking forward to the overnight in Havana, we would not have booked this itinerary.

We've lost four ports (yes, a couple of less interest) that are replaced with two ports, Havana (Yeah) and Nassau (harrumpf) and essentially three more sea days (one of which is the 11 AM sailing which I consider a sea day.) So now basically four out of 10 days are sea days plus the addition of Nassau. It's a good thing the onboard experience will be excellent.

Don't get me wrong I am very pleased that we will be visiting Havana on Oceania. And I expect now that Cuba is an available port future itineraries will be better planned. This is a last-minute change so I assume they took what they could get.

So the addition of Havana is excellent!

However on our particular sailing it really is not the two days as described as the ship leaves at 11 AM so not really any time to do anything before all aboard.

Your time is limited, but there are a couple of things you can do. If your ship docks in Old Havana harbor, you'll really get the most out your short morning. My recommendations:

Do not eat dinner on the ship. Yes, I know you've already paid for your meal, but with limited time in Cuba, I recommend you enjoy dinner ashore at a paladar (private restaurant). Our best meal in Havana was at Paladar los Mercadares located in Old Town. We ordered the stuffed lobster, the signature dish of the restaurant and paid the equivalent of $22. This dish would have cost triple that amount in a high end restaurant anywhere in the world. (Avoid ordering beef. The best beef is imported from Argentina and is very expensive. More reasonably priced domestic beef doesn't match what Americans can get in any grocery store. Pork, fish and shellfish are your best bets for quality in Cuba.)

After dinner, if you still have energy, visit one of the many jazz clubs throughout the city. In Vedado, (the downtown located next to Old Town) La Zorra is good, but be prepared for a late night. The place doesn't open until 10:00 PM. The Tropicana nightclub is famous for its shows recreating the entertainment popular before the revolution -- scanty costumes, huge headdress and all. Very touristy but beloved.

As for the short morning, my suggestion depends on where your ship will be docking. If you will dock in the historic harbor, you will be alongside the Old Town, a fabulous destination. If you're willing be off the ship early, you could spend an amazing couple of hours strolling the streets, admiring the architecture, browsing the flea market. Yes, there are some specific buildings you could target during your time ashore, but, simply strolling will be satisfying.

Incidentally, be sure you find out which requirements are still in effect regarding money and credit card/cell phone use. In 2015, US credit cards were not accepted anywhere and US cell phones didn't work in Cuba. We had to get CUC, the special currency for Cuban tourists and work on a cash-only basis. I have no idea about the current situation.

We've just booked the Marina cruise with the overnight in March, haven't had time to do any research yet. DH wants to know about safety in Havana.

Pet Pit Noy,

We have been to many Caribbean islands including Jamaica with her annoying hawkers. We never had any issues. If I make a list for comparison purposes, where on the scale of safety (pick pockets, hawkers) is Havana? More like (wealthy) Grand Cayman and St. Barths? Or ok like poor but pious Saint Lucia? Or rather like the Dominican Republic where locals put metal cages around their balconies and entrances?

We've just booked the Marina cruise with the overnight in March, haven't had time to do any research yet. DH wants to know about safety in Havana.

Pet Pit Noy,

We have been to many Caribbean islands including Jamaica with her annoying hawkers. We never had any issues. If I make a list for comparison purposes, where on the scale of safety (pick pockets, hawkers) is Havana? More like (wealthy) Grand Cayman and St. Barths? Or ok like poor but pious Saint Lucia? Or rather like the Dominican Republic where locals put metal cages around their balconies and entrances?

The Cuban people are friendly

Of course there are bad people everywhere

They may want to sell you their sister but just say no thanks if you are not interested

We spent 2 wks in Varadaro ( more tourist area) & walked about freely without any issues

You may not have the freedom that other Nationalities have so you may be with a minder but as Canadians we could go anywhere

Part of Florida scared me more than Cuba

Edited by LHT28

Pet Pit Noy,

My wife spent two weeks in Cuba last December and loved it. She speaks fluent Spanish so she asked the tour operator if she could wander off on her own and she had a great experience shopping, talking to the Cuban people and riding around in an old Chevy. According to her, Cuba is extremely safe. There are no hawkers, very little crime and the Cuban people love Americans. it is nothing like the rest of the Caribbean.

English is required in school Almost everyone speaks some English.

A tip to those of you going -- what the Cuban people really need are basic necessities - toiletries, cosmetics, soap -- if you pack some of these small and inexpensive items and give them as tips or just gestures of friendship you will see BIG smiles.

Edited by bitob