New Alcohol drinking age policy

frankc98376

Just got a confirmation for a final payment and noticed this at the bottom. I can hear the cash registers ringing :)

We have updated our alcohol policy. Effective on voyages commencing July 1, 2016 and thereafter, the legal drinking age

onboard will be 18 for voyages which depart from and return to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, Hong Kong,

Singapore or Taiwan. The legal drinking age onboard will be 20 for voyages which depart from and return to Japan. For all

other voyages, alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21.

Edited by frankc98376

I wonder how HAL will implement this. Take the Voyage of the Vikings, for example. The full cruise starts in Boston, but they also start a segment in Europe. Surely they won't enforce one age for those boarding in Boston and another for those getting on in Rotterdam.

Same thing for the World Cruise.

Roy

I wonder how HAL will implement this. Take the Voyage of the Vikings, for example. The full cruise starts in Boston, but they also start a segment in Europe. Surely they won't enforce one age for those boarding in Boston and another for those getting on in Rotterdam.

Roy

It says for cruises that start and end in Europe or the other countries listed...

Roy

Probably about as well as the drinking age is enforced in southern Louisiana, the Land of Drive-Thru Dacquerie (sp?) Shops. In other words, if you are tall enough to reach the bar, you will be served.

Just got a confirmation for a final payment and noticed this at the bottom. I can hear the cash registers ringing :)

We have updated our alcohol policy. Effective on voyages commencing July 1, 2016 and thereafter, the legal drinking age

onboard will be 18 for voyages which depart from and return to Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, Hong Kong,

Singapore or Taiwan. The legal drinking age onboard will be 20 for voyages which depart from and return to Japan. For all

other voyages, alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21.

Hi Folks, All ships sailing to and from Australia, have a drinking age of 18, as that is what it is here. Not sure about other asian countries. K

It's about time that Holland America changed its drinking age from 21. Most countries other than USA have drinking ages lower than 21. Citizens of those countries should not be penalized with such an archaic drinking age policy. Ships sailing in and back to Canada or cruising the Caribbean and South America should also be lower than 21.

One good reason Bermuda is a good port for the likes of NCL, RCCL etc. The drinking age is 18 when the younger set can get a drink ashore. Honestly, I have not seen any problem with the younger set when ashore. The older set... well.....

It says for cruises that start and end in Europe or the other countries listed...

You may not be aware VOV ends in B oston for thosedoing the whole cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

Probably about as well as the drinking age is enforced in southern Louisiana, the Land of Drive-Thru Dacquerie (sp?) Shops. In other words, if you are tall enough to reach the bar, you will be served.

... the Louisiana drive-through drink is a "Hurricane", and believe me, the lax enforcement of drinking laws is not peculiar to Louisiana, as any person who was raised in rural Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, North and South Dakota, Montana, etc. can attest ... wake up and smell the booze ...

New alcohol drinking age policy? I think I'm good. :D I was just hoping they hadn't raised it too high that I might get carded again.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I got carded about 15 years ago (the lighting was VERY poor :) ) Felt like I should tip the guy ;)

Back on topic. This change makes a lot of sense to me.

Sail7Seas,

An interesting twist for the VoV this year (at least I have never heard of it before), it is actually a three part cruise, with the RT being either Rotterdam to Rotterdam of Boston to Boston. (Or, some are doing only a one way cruise.) The ship (Rotterdam) very recently left Rotterdam on its way to Boston. This makes for some interesting organization by folks dealing with the CC listings and activities. Now the vast majority of folks on the Roll Call seem to be Boston to Boston, but even the HAL website mentioned the Rotterdam to Rotterdam option as well as the Boston to Boston option.

When I grew up in New York state the drinking age was 18 - to me it was perfect.

In general, while in High School drinking was a no-no (well, many still snuck into bars, borrowed from Dad's bar, etc.) Then after HS graduation most were 18 then or soon thereafter. So, going to college, working or entering the military you could legally drink. party, etc with your new companions. It worked out just fine from what I witnessed as a young person and as a teacher.

Then they changed the law.

I also think this is a positive change. In Denmark, the legal age to buy beer and wine is 16, to drink in a bar is 18. European teens generally know how to drink responsibly by the time they are 18.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish I could say the same for some of the Aussies. :oThey give the rest of us a bad name. Mind you it is not only the young ones. Kiwis can hold a pint or two as well ;) K