Is it worthwhile paying a little more to switch to Princess

jveevers

We have always cruised (except 1 ) with Celebrity. No specific negatives but have got a little bored with the same food and ships. The next cruise we are planing is a 10/11 night in Asia. Both cruise lines (Celebrity and Princess) have similar itinerary Singapore - Singapore. Celebrity in a Sky Suite costs out at $7000 includes grats, beverage Package and internet. That is a 10 night so equals $700 per night..... Princess in a Mini Suite costs out at $5466 but add on grats @ $413, Bev. package @ $1650 and internet @ $200- makes a total of $7729. That is 11 nights which is $701 per night. So you can see that pricing is pretty well the same. I am assuming that a Princess mini Suite is comparative to a celebrity sky suite, is someone able to confirm this please?

So what I would get with Celebrity is a dedicated restaurant for Suite guests. Does Princess have this? Both cruises have similar OBC included. So, do you think that I will be dissapointed by switching, is Princess as good as Celebrity, all things being equal.? Thank you ....:)

Here are my comments:

1. I would go on either line.

2. If you're Elite with Princess, you get unlimited laundry. On Celebrity, you'll get 2 bags per cabin being Elite.

3. Also with Elite on Princess, you get free appetizers and drink specials. On Celebrity (being Elite), you get unlimited happy hour drinks and appetizers (basically house brands).

3. The free Internet time on Princess is way better than Celebrity. Princess would give 250 free minutes for 2 weeks and Celebrity is a flat 90 minutes.

Since the pricing is close, I would pick the itinerary that most interests you if there are some different ports. We have found that 2 bags of laundry (meaning 30 items per bag) was enough for 2 people for a 2-week cruise.

Laurie

Edited by cruiselover57

HUGE difference between Celebrity's Sky Suites and mini-suites on Princess. You're comparing apples and oranges. The minis have little to no perks whereas the Sky Suites have a lot of perks. They're a totally different class.

You'd have a great time on either line, I'm sure. Just make sure you're getting the right kind of cabin for your tastes. You'd be disappointed with a mini-suite if you think it's going to be like a Sky Suite IMO.

Yes, but the OP did the math, and it came out $11 more doing a mini-suite on Princess with one more day, over a "suite" on Celebrity with all the same included, so either way you're paying for it - it's not really a "perk" per se if it makes the cabin more expensive overall... Order room service after 11pm twice during the sailing and you've covered the difference! (free on Princess, $4.95 on Celebrity)

As for Luminae, true - norhing on Princess compares, at all. Even their "club class" dining being introduced later this year won't compare to the private restaurant concept.. Aside from that though, the comparison on price speaks foe itself...if it costs the same to buy the same, then the suite perks on Celebrity aren't much of a perk! Add in the info that the Princess costs include an extra day for everything, ie one more day of gratuities, drink package, etc - and it's actually less than the "included" perks of a suite on Celebrity.

Either way both great cruise lines, we just vastly prefer Princess at this point in our cruising career - this after a 14-night Caribbean itinerary on Eclipse in March...reminded us of why we've been taking a break from them....

OP, hope you enjoy your sailing - especially all the new poets! Happy sails!

Thanks all for more constructive comments. Just need to clarify a couple of things. Celebrity cruise is 10 nights @ $7000, Princess is 11 @ $7729 , therefore not getting the extra day for same cost...:cool:

The fee on Celebrity for room service after 11.00pm, is that a new fee as I have ordered room service many times late (last time February 2015) and never seen or paid a fee.

As said before we have booked the Princess and looking forward to it with an open mind and vowing not to try and compare at the time.

Thank you all for very worthwhile comments.

Have taken the plunge and booked Princess, mainly because this particular sailing has 5 new Ports for us. The Celebrity cruise that we considered went further North to Hong Kong and Ha Long Bay which in February can be very wet.

Booked the Mini Suite with full acknowledgement that it is not really a Suite and has no perks.

Nothing against Celebrity but after 6 cruises in 7 years with them, kinda bored with seeing the same layout and food. Am very excited to try something different.

:)

Good for you. Its always fun to jump outside the box and try something new! Have a great cruise.

Thanks all for more constructive comments. Just need to clarify a couple of things. Celebrity cruise is 10 nights @ $7000, Princess is 11 @ $7729 , therefore not getting the extra day for same cost...:cool:

The fee on Celebrity for room service after 11.00pm, is that a new fee as I have ordered room service many times late (last time February 2015) and never seen or paid a fee.

As said before we have booked the Princess and looking forward to it with an open mind and vowing not to try and compare at the time.

It's a newish fee, it was definitely charged this past March 2016.. 11pm-6am, and given that there's no available food after midnight onboard (and at that it's only the buffet with some pasta or pizza), it's a tough pill to swallow....no International Cafe, etc for that late night snack after Martini Bar closes, etc... They have followed in the footsteps of Royal Caribbean which has had the late night charge for several years, but at least on their larger ships, they have 24 hour Cafe open.

Happy sails, hope you enjoy Princess, and your new ports.

...As said before we have booked the Princess and looking forward to it with an open mind and vowing not to try and compare at the time.

Good for you! As long as you know going into the cruise that you won't be getting "full suite" perks, you should be fine. It sounds as though you were ready for a change, and Princess offers a quality product!

I booked a "club class" mini for 2017 and there were several perks which included no wait dining in a "club" area , Priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority specialty restaurant reservations, evening canapé's upon request , a disembarkation lounge, a different menu among other things...add in the sip and sail and a complimentary specialty restaurant and it seems to be nice . My first Princess voyage so looking forward to this .:D

I booked a "club class" mini for 2017 and there were several perks which included no wait dining in a "club" area , Priority embarkation and disembarkation, priority specialty restaurant reservations, evening canapé's upon request , a disembarkation lounge, a different menu among other things...add in the sip and sail and a complimentary specialty restaurant and it seems to be nice . My first Princess voyage so looking forward to this .:D

I checked out the "sip and sail", appears to have either finished on July 5th or it is just for N. American cruisers, this is often the case with celebrity where people in other global regions miss out on the "specials". I would be interested to hear what my cruise is costing in the regions where "sip and sail" is available. February 8th - 19th Diamond Princess.

The Diamond Princess that we are booked on seems to be having an upgrade in a few months time and that is probably when the "club" situation commences.

I have noticed that there are 4 "anytime" Dinner restaurants... Pacific moon, Santa Fe, Savoy and Vivaldi.... We have nominated "anytime dining"... Can you select each day which one you dine at or are you allocated one from day 1? Thanks

I have noticed that there are 4 "anytime" Dinner restaurants... Pacific moon, Santa Fe, Savoy and Vivaldi.... We have nominated "anytime dining"... Can you select each day which one you dine at or are you allocated one from day 1? Thanks

Yep.

But the menu is the same.

We found one where the waters suited us after trying each, and kept going back.

Each evening you can pick the one you wish to dine in.

Menus are the same except that each one has one special (non-changing) item, but you can usually order that item no matter which dining room you are in.

I believe Princess is having a "Sip and Sail" promotion which would get you a beverage package included.

Claudia

I checked out the "sip and sail", appears to have either finished on July 5th or it is just for N. American cruisers, this is often the case with celebrity where people in other global regions miss out on the "specials". I would be interested to hear what my cruise is costing in the regions where "sip and sail" is available. February 8th - 19th Diamond Princess.

The Diamond Princess that we are booked on seems to be having an upgrade in a few months time and that is probably when the "club" situation commences.

Not sure when your cruise is but the Sip ans Sail promotion is for cruises from summer 2017 through winter 2018.

Maybe that's why it didn't apply for your cruise.

For what it's worth, we are Elite on both and I think you'll be pleased with the Princess product.

The Coral is a LOVELY ship!

Edited by chamima

Yes, but the OP did the math, and it came out $11 more doing a mini-suite on Princess with one more day, over a "suite" on Celebrity with all the same included, so either way you're paying for it - it's not really a "perk" per se if it makes the cabin more expensive overall... Order room service after 11pm twice during the sailing and you've covered the difference! (free on Princess, $4.95 on Celebrity)

As for Luminae, true - norhing on Princess compares, at all. Even their "club class" dining being introduced later this year won't compare to the private restaurant concept.. Aside from that though, the comparison on price speaks foe itself...if it costs the same to buy the same, then the suite perks on Celebrity aren't much of a perk! Add in the info that the Princess costs include an extra day for everything, ie one more day of gratuities, drink package, etc - and it's actually less than the "included" perks of a suite on Celebrity.

Either way both great cruise lines, we just vastly prefer Princess at this point in our cruising career - this after a 14-night Caribbean itinerary on Eclipse in March...reminded us of why we've been taking a break from them....

OP, hope you enjoy your sailing - especially all the new poets! Happy sails!

I think you quoted the wrong person. I didn't address cost at all.

We are Elite on Princess and Elite+ on Celebrity. We too have been disappointed in our last several cruises with Celebrity. In April we just did a 15 night Panama Canal on the Infinity. Now it had been years since we had been on the Summitt (same class). We thought the food was horrible. The staff snooty. The cabin filthy (which we had the room steward re-clean). I'm not a complainer but when there is toothpaste on the mirror in the bathroom and food (nuts) on the carpet.....I don't think it's too much to ask for a clean cabin. We also prefer the wine packages on Princess much better than X.

Princess's perks are much, much better also.

Happy sailing whoever you choose.:)

• 1 month later...
Not sure when your cruise is but the Sip ans Sail promotion is for cruises from summer 2017 through winter 2018.

Maybe that's why it didn't apply for your cruise.

We don't get the Sip and Sail promotions here in Australia, even when booking overseas cruises. It's not just what cruise you book, it's where you reside. :mad:

It's fun to sleep around.

We don't get the Sip and Sail promotions here in Australia, even when booking overseas cruises. It's not just what cruise you book, it's where you reside. :mad:

I'm not sure about Australia, but I understand that one reason fares tend to be higher in the UK and EU is that there are more consumer protections included than we have included in our fares here in the US. So perhaps you are getting more for your money there?

We have book both lines extensively. I do feel that Celebrity may be a little more upscale or sophisticated, especially if you take Aqua Class. We are scheduled, to take a Tran-Atlantic next year on the new Princess Club Class, and we are eager to see how these two compare.

With that being said, I think that the itinerary on Princess usually is better, but then again this is my opinion.

Overall, both are great lines.