On Board Communication

haji

Talk and make plans, set times to meet, post-its or small dry erase boards on stateroom doors, stateroom voicemail, etc. It really is not that difficult and not hard to locate each other around the ship.

We have cruised for 24 years as our children grew from young to adults and never had an issue keeping in touch, making plans, or finding each other when we needed to.

The ships are large - and Oasis is the largest - but they are not so big to be lost on, and there are only so many public areas to go to.

Notes or voicemail (on the ship's phone) in the cabin.

Post-Its / Dry Erase Board / Set meeting time at set meeting place. :D

Yep.

Plan,,,,, meet you at (location) at (time).

If things change pick up phone and ring cabin

Or duck back to cabin and leave a note (it's not that far).

We've never had a problem meeting up, sometimes even when we weren't trying to. Crew are great too, I've often been asked "are you looking for your wife I just saw her at ...."

• 4 weeks later...
Just so I understand, if you use the wifi from the ship (Oasis), you will not be able to text while on board.

Depends exactly what you mean by "text".

If you use an internet based texting app, such as iMessage or WhatsApp, it should work fine on the ship's WiFi.

If you are using cellular SMS or MMS, then you will need a cellular connection, unless you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone.

Edited by clarea

What JoeRum said!

You can put a post-it note on the cabin door.

We took 8 walkies on our last cruise. No one used them. Everyone did their own thing and met for dinner at the designated time. Made for a great vacation for everyone!

Will walkie-talkie work? We brought ours and used them on Radiance of Sea and they worked. Not sure if Oasis will be too big to use them.

We have had very poor luck with walkie-talkies when separated by a few decks.

If you use an internet based texting app, such as iMessage or WhatsApp, it should work fine on the ship's WiFi.

If you are using cellular SMS or MMS, then you will need a cellular connection, unless you have WiFi calling enabled on your phone.

I have IMessage but I also downloaded WhatsApp.

Thanks Bob! I knew I could always count on you for the answer. :)

TALK to each other...tell everyone your plans...they will tell you where they will be...it's not as hard as you're thinking it will be!

Best advice on the subject.

Always works for me.

You don't need to over-complicate it people.........

Edited by matj2000

I have IMessage but I also downloaded WhatsApp.

Thanks Bob! I knew I could always count on you for the answer. :)

You're welcome.

Just remember, iMessage is only for Apple device to Apple device, whereas WhatsApp works between different kinds of devices, like Android to iPhone.

You're welcome.

Just remember, iMessage is only for Apple device to Apple device, whereas WhatsApp works between different kinds of devices, like Android to iPhone.

Got it. We're a family of iphones. Usually we do put the phones away in the safe but this cruise we're traveling with our son, his wife and 20 month old granddaughter (new parents :eek:). It will just put their mind at ease to know that we can still be in touch when we have their baby. :)

They will only work if you have paid for the ship's WiFi Connection.

They will only work if you have paid for the ship's WiFi Connection.

No worries. We're in an Owner's Suite and they'll have the ship's wifi package. Thanks!

Edited by merdon