Celebrity Eclipse Evening Dress Code

Cliveg29

Hi all,

I have just booked a cruise on the Eclipse, sailing to and from Southampton in October.

I have just found out that they do not have any formal nights now...this seems to have been replaced by "Evening Chic".

I'm a little disappointed, as both my wife and I like to put on tuxedo and long evening dress.

Can anyone tell me if anyone wears tuxedo/evening dress on these nights, or would we be the only ones?

Thanks and regards,

Clive

Very unlikely you would be the only ones in tuxedo & gown. Clearly there will a lot fewer people wearing tux/suit and gowns but some who enjoy it, like you, will continue to go formal.

We saw everything from jeans & sport jacket to tuxedos on our last cruise.

I stepped off the Eclipse this morning. We had 3 Celebrity Chic nights onboard. Surprisingly after the endless threads and discussion about the lack of formal nights on Celebrity little seems to have changed!

The dress code for Evening Chic was described onboard as a tux, suit, sports jacket for men, cocktail dress or pant suit for women.

Most people seemed to enjoy getting dressed up and plenty of people were in tuxes so I really wouldn't worry about anything.

I stepped off the Eclipse this morning. We had 3 Celebrity Chic nights onboard. Surprisingly after the endless threads and discussion about the lack of formal nights on Celebrity little seems to have changed!

The dress code for Evening Chic was described onboard as a tux, suit, sports jacket for men, cocktail dress or pant suit for women.

Most people seemed to enjoy getting dressed up and plenty of people were in tuxes so I really wouldn't worry about anything.

That's interesting that there were 3 evening chic nights - celebrity seem to have been saying that there will only be 2 for 14 night cruises. Do you know whether 3 has become the norm for celebrity cruises from Southampton?

Hi...thanks to all of you for the prompt replies...:)

We feel happier now...my wife looks foward to dressing up. so she'll be taking some posh frocks now! (...and I'll have to get another evening suit, as I've put on a bit of weight since wearing it last!)

Thanks again,

Clive

Jackets are not required for men. From the Celebrity FAQ:

Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities are being introduced, and Evening Chic attire is replacing Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

A cocktail dress

Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

Optional sport coat or blazer

Yes. Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

That's interesting that there were 3 evening chic nights - celebrity seem to have been saying that there will only be 2 for 14 night cruises. Do you know whether 3 has become the norm for celebrity cruises from Southampton?

Sorry I don't know. Though I suspect it probably depends on the number of sea days per cruise?

Incidentally I was well aware of the notes from Celebrity FAQ's as it's been discussed to death on here, but the OP specifically referred to the Eclipse and sailings from Southampton where the information onboard contradicted the notes highlighted.

Who'd have thought Celebrity would ever contradict themselves eh? :D

Not that they enforce much, but would love to see them try to enforce a dress code that is in complete disagreement with their established policy.

On a fourteen night sailing--round-trip Miami--to the Southern Caribbean...

While there were surely people who chose to dress up [Original Poster, by all means do so!], Evening Chic--as cited above from Celebrity's website definition--was clearly in force [ie; there was no requirement--for instance--that mean wear a tux, suit or jacket; that women wear a cocktail dress or a pants suit]...

I do not doubt your suggestion that the Dress Code--as published aboard during your recent sailing--may have varied based upon passenger base, cruise market and/or itinerary... But I can't see how the prior "Formal Night" dress code can possibly be enforced--based upon something published once on board--when Celebrity's website so clearly states the "Evening Chic" concept is applicable across the fleet without exception and guests may well have packed in anticipation of the more relaxed standard...

Which is completely contrary to everything on their web site. Problem with that is you're now telling people to wear what they did not pack for.

Edited by dkjretired

Celebrity Today 3rd July 2016: Smart Casual: Ladies: skirt or pants(no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants(no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater, no shorts

Evening Chic: Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or pant suit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

It goes on to say the dress code is in effect from 6:00 pm each evening and is applied strictly in our main dining room.

I can confirm that there were many gentlemen in a dinner suit or smart jacket. Lots of ladies in full length gowns, cocktail dresses or trousers with beautiful tops. Maybe it was the itinerary and or the average age of the cruisers. If I was in the Caribbean it is unlikely that I would want to wear a full length, beaded evening gown.

There were some diners in very smart jeans and shirts. I didn't see a single person who hadn't made an effort.

I think that as long as people adhere to the published guidelines then what they wear is their choice. I am not the fashion police.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Which is completely contrary to everything on their web site. Problem with that is you're now telling people to wear what they did not pack for.

I think that the person charged with issuing Celebrity Today may have pulled out an issue from an earlier cruise--perhaps from last season--and, without being particularly attentive to that which needed full edit or an updated "cut & paste", issued inaccurate information...

Wouldn't be the first time... I've been on sailings in which our rather unique itinerary was similar--but not the same--as that of a similar cruise a year earlier! The prior year's itinerary was published...

1. Cruises out of Southampton tend to be dressier than those in the Caribbean.

2. Why is it that the pro-casual cruisers get so bent out of shape when someone seems to seek advise that might be a bit more formal oriented? Are they afraid that their rights are being abused? Come on, there are far more pressing problems in this world than whether they will turned away from the dining room in their jeans.

3. If you want to dress up then go for it--0n any cruise! If you want casual dressing,then check out your cruise lines dress suggestions before booking, if it doesn't fit your particular style, then please don't book that cruise!

Having sailed from Southampton on Eclipse twice in the past (but never again), I do believe that this is a result of pressure from the normal demographic there. No other reason to have a published dress code totally out of whack with the rest of the fleet sailing worldwide.

Am I really? :rolleyes:

I thought I was telling people what was stated on the Celebrity Today paper on the cruise I just finished. I never understand why people read far too much into a post. Or are you being a little bit naughty and trolling? ;)

On a fourteen night sailing--round-trip Miami--to the Southern Caribbean...

While there were surely people who chose to dress up [Original Poster, by all means do so!], Evening Chic--as cited above from Celebrity's website definition--was clearly in force [ie; there was no requirement--for instance--that mean wear a tux, suit or jacket; that women wear a cocktail dress or a pants suit]...

I do not doubt your suggestion that the Dress Code--as published aboard during your recent sailing--may have varied based upon passenger base, cruise market and/or itinerary... But I can't see how the prior "Formal Night" dress code can possibly be enforced--based upon something published once on board--when Celebrity's website so clearly states the "Evening Chic" concept is applicable across the fleet without exception and guests may well have packed in anticipation of the more relaxed standard...

I agree with what you are saying. Our Baltic cruise featured a more mature crowd who I suspect were more pro formal. I'd always expect to see a less formal dress code in the Caribbean.

We were in Murano for the first Chic night and I can confirm that everyone had made an effort, the irony being that formal dress code has never applied there as far as I know anyway.

Agree with your comment. That's why we always pack IAW Celebrity's published suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR on their website or brochures for the MDR and not posts on CC.

Hi all, I understand what my men can wear to the MDR on evening chic, but what about the other evenings? For women it is always easier. Can they wear "nice" shorts? My 22 year old would love to wear shorts. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I thought I was telling people what was stated on the Celebrity Today paper on the cruise I just finished. I never understand why people read far too much into a post. Or are you being a little bit naughty and trolling? ;)

Hello,

I don't think dkjretired meant "you"...I believe he meant that Celebrity was telling people, with their onboard info that you related, something different than what their literature states, and that this might be contrary to how people packed for their trip.

Having followed CC for several years...I am quite certain dkjretired is not a troll !

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

One of the reasons we chose Aqua Class was that we could dine in Blu without having to Black Tie or wear a suit. The dress code has changed since our first cruise, but we still chose Aqua. I dress smartly for work, I'm on holiday. Jeans a nice shirt and a sports jacket are about as far as I go.

Personal preference obviously [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

I have just booked a cruise on the Eclipse, sailing to and from Southampton in October.

I have just found out that they do not have any formal nights now...this seems to have been replaced by "Evening Chic".

I'm a little disappointed, as both my wife and I like to put on tuxedo and long evening dress.

Can anyone tell me if anyone wears tuxedo/evening dress on these nights, or would we be the only ones?

Thanks and regards,

Clive

You will be fine! We sailed the Eclipse to the Caribbean in March and the majority were dressed elegantly. Not necessarily in tux and gowns, but suits, jackets and ties and cocktail dresses and bling for the ladies. Bring your tux by all means, especially since you enjoy it! That being said, there were some who dressed down very casually, so much so I would not call it "chic," but hey it's their vacation and each to his/her own.

Hi, Don doesn't need my defense but i am going to defend him anyway.

He has been part of Cruise Critic since the mid 90s.....yes, probably

20 years now......so he is not a Troll.....not by a long shot.

I think that the person charged with issuing Celebrity Today may have pulled out an issue from an earlier cruise--perhaps from last season--and, without being particularly attentive to that which needed full edit or an updated "cut & paste", issued inaccurate information...

Wouldn't be the first time... I've been on sailings in which our rather unique itinerary was similar--but not the same--as that of a similar cruise a year earlier! The prior year's itinerary was published...

Agree, I don't know if you remember a couple of years ago when one of the ships went rogue and was enforcing a formal dress code in the Specialties. Presented the same problem with people not packing what they now were expected to wear. That was quickly corrected.

Hi, Don doesn't need my defense but i am going to defend him anyway.

He has been part of Cruise Critic since the mid 90s.....yes, probably

20 years now......so he is not a Troll.....not by a long shot.

Thanks Lois and Bourbon, I was referring to the colloquial you, not a particular person. I don't deny that the posters is writing based on fact, just referring to Celebrity screwing things up. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edited by dkjretired