Bed bugs on RC Liberty of the Seas 7/10-7/17

I am reaching out in an effort to help my kids! Two of them are COVERED with what was just officially diagnosed by dr. with bed bug bites. We had two cabins with adjoining door and my husband and I are fine. The Dr. said it would be helpful to reach out here and see if any others on our ship have these bites? Please message me if you were on our cruise (or recently on our ship) and have these symptoms! According to CDC.gov, bites can take up to 14 days to appear once bitten and my kids showed up Tuesday; two days after returning home. Timeline makes sense, but because they did not show up on ship, RC can't do anything about it! I did call and report in hopes they will inspect our cabin! We thought they had chicken pox!!! I kind of wish that's what it was.....

According to CDC.gov, bites can take up to 14 days to appear once bitten...

Did you by any chance stay in a hotel prior to your cruise? That could be where the bites came from as well.

That was my thought as well, 39august.

OP, sorry to hear about the kids. I hope they are doing better each day.

Are you sure the bites are from the ship? Did you fly to the port? Have the kids been to the movies since you have been back? Have they stayed at friend's houses? Could they be chigger bites from a beach?

Sorry your kids are having to go through this. I hope you can find the source.

Or possibly sand flies - depending on your itinerary. I don't think any of us are ruling out that it could have happened on the ship but this is the first I've heard of it onboard. I would think a hotel or a beach would be more likely. Yes - post on the Roll Call board on this site - look for your sailing. Sorry to hear about this - hope the kids are fixed up pronto.

Even with the other great suggestions, also reach out to previous cruises.

Bed bugs don't show up on their own, so by going back, one can track when the infestation started- which could help contain it on the ship.

No doubt, someone brought it wherever you got it.

I am reaching out in an effort to help my kids! Two of them are COVERED with what was just officially diagnosed by dr. with bed bug bites. We had two cabins with adjoining door and my husband and I are fine. .....

I feel so bad for your kids! Hopefully the bugs did not hitch a ride back to your house in the suitcases.

Would you please share the cabin #s that you occupied? Sailing soon on Liberty.

Thanks

At the risk of being labeled a cheerleader, can a doctor diagnose bed bug bites? Where's OB when we need him? :confused:

Yes, doctors, nurse practioners and physician assistants can all diagnose bed bug bites. I see them frequently in people from shelter residents to those staying in 5 star hotels. What is interesting is that you can have multiple people in the sane space but only some people have a reaction.

OP, I am sure you have googled how to keep the critters from coming inside. Good luck. I hope your kids' symptoms resolve quickly.

Did you stay in a cheap hotel prior?

Seriously? :eek: Bed bugs don't care where they sleep or who they bite. They can be brought in anywhere by anyone rich or poor.

We try not to put our luggage on the floor in hotels until after we have had a good look for them. It goes on the table or dresser. I think most people don't do this, but we do.

OP, I hope your boys get better fast and you can find out where they came from. Hopefully the bed bugs will be taken care of.

I'm new to this site, so thank you for all of your advice & thoughts! Kids are doing a little better, but these bites are no joke! Just terrible.

First, yes, I contacted RC customer service & reported this. Based on their response & lack of urgency, I am concerned this was not looked into. There has been no follow up from them either. I realize this can happen to any hotel, cruise line, etc, so my intention was not to shame the cruise line. However, I do not appreciate the lack of response or follow up from them. I also hoped to find out if others were effected because there is a voice in numbers on getting something done.

For those cruising soon on this ship, I'm really sorry to worry you, but I would definitely call & inquire about it! Because I would want to know too, our cabin numbers were 2302 adjoining with 2304. My kids stayed in 2304 side. I will also note here that the two kids who slept on the separated king/twin beds have bites. The child who slept in bunk that lowers from ceiling has not one bite on her. To answer the hotel question, yes, we stayed at a nice hotel in Galveston on Sat night. Per our pediatrician, his assessment was based on how bed bugs "feed" (gag!!!)and there was no way the kids could have that many bites in one night. It was clearly over several nights to get the amount they have. Again, this is their best assessment given the facts & treating the kids today. Thank you for sharing about the sand fleas & sea lice possibility too! Dr talked about that too, but ruled out because those bites show quickly after bitten & it had been too long since we were at the beach.

Thank you all again for well wishes! Thankfully we had a great trip before this happened. I wish you all the best on your cruise!

I am reaching out in an effort to help my kids! Two of them are COVERED with what was just officially diagnosed by dr. with bed bug bites. We had two cabins with adjoining door and my husband and I are fine. The Dr. said it would be helpful to reach out here and see if any others on our ship have these bites? Please message me if you were on our cruise (or recently on our ship) and have these symptoms! According to CDC.gov, bites can take up to 14 days to appear once bitten and my kids showed up Tuesday; two days after returning home. Timeline makes sense, but because they did not show up on ship, RC can't do anything about it! I did call and report in hopes they will inspect our cabin! We thought they had chicken pox!!! I kind of wish that's what it was.....

It is unfortunate your kids were exposed to bedbugs. I had a teenager exposed once during a summer vacation. It is good you are providing the information here. But you should really focus your energy and time trying to find if they brought them home with them. If they received many bites it is a good possibility. It is hard to rid them and requires an exterminator. I know from experience.

If the majority of bites are around their face the odds are good they were bitten while sleeping. Make sure you inspect their beds at home and look for evidence of infestation. Put a zippered mattress cover on now if they don't have one. Treat every thing as if they brought them home. They can multiply fast. They hitchhike on clothing, luggage and can move super fast.

Edited by iluvcruzin

Bedbugs usually bite in a straight line pattern. If they are horribly itchy, oozy random bites with a main focus on the feet, legs and ankles, my guess would be no see ums (biting midges). A much more common pest in the Caribbean than bedbugs. And the bites do take a while to appear.

Many doctors, unless they do see shelter patients, are not that familiar with the appearance of bedbug bites, as opposed to any other bites.

Bedbugs usually bite in a straight line pattern. [\qoute]

Not true in most cases. I know this from personal experience. They also can be raised and itchy just like being bit by sand fleas or mosquitoes.

They are attracted to carbon dioxide which is why they gravitate to the face.

Edited by iluvcruzin

Bedbugs typically bite at night on exposed areas of skin. Bites typically occur on the face, neck, hands, and arms, and may be noticed upon awakening or one to several days after the bites. The bite itself is painless.

Aside from suspicion, there is no way to actually make the diagnosis of a bite being from a bed bug without actually identifying the bug. There is nothing characteristic of the bite itself that would make the diagnosis.