Bed bugs on RC Liberty of the Seas 7/10-7/17

Bedbugs usually bite in a straight line pattern. If they are horribly itchy, oozy random bites with a main focus on the feet, legs and ankles, my guess would be no see ums (biting midges). A much more common pest in the Caribbean than bedbugs. And the bites do take a while to appear.

Many doctors, unless they do see shelter patients, are not that familiar with the appearance of bedbug bites, as opposed to any other bites.

Nope, the pattern can be quite random.

I like to look @ New posts & I noticed someone posted about bed bugs from same ship , previous week . Anyone else thinking it's related ?

Sorry if this is a duplicate...just figuring out how to post reply with quote. :)

Any chance you can locate that message & post on here? I've searched on this site before posting but it's very confusing with all the different boards & areas. Thank you!

Sorry if this is a duplicate...just figuring out how to post reply with quote. :)

Any chance you can locate that message & post on here? I've searched on this site before posting but it's very confusing with all the different boards & areas. Thank you!

The messaging function on CC has been disabled.

So strange that Ive been around here for over 8 years now and even when bedbugs were the latest media frenzy several years ago, no reports whatsoever of them being on cruise ships and now we have two complaints of them in a week? :confused:

Not saying that bedbugs arent on cruise ships but my guess is sand fleas or something else.

Edited by ryano

Kind of late for the OP but here are some guidelines for locating suspected areas with bedbugs. Hope it helps.

https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/how-find-bed-bugs

Well, that was yucky.

Most hotels and cruise lines use white sheets now. I would think that would make it easier to find for both the guest and the room steward. They are supposed to be visible to the naked eye.

Edited by mafig

To answer the hotel question, yes, we stayed at a nice hotel in Galveston on Sat night. Per our pediatrician, his assessment was based on how bed bugs "feed" (gag!!!)and there was no way the kids could have that many bites in one night. It was clearly over several nights to get the amount they have. Again, this is their best assessment given the facts & treating the kids today. Thank you for sharing about the sand fleas & sea lice possibility too! Dr talked about that too, but ruled out because those bites show quickly after bitten & it had been too long since we were at the beach.

Thank you all again for well wishes! Thankfully we had a great trip before this happened. I wish you all the best on your cruise!

Since you say this would have happened over several nights and since I believe reaction to bed bug bites appears shortly after being bitten did they not show any signs on the ship and why didn't you report it there and then?

The reason I ask is that one of our family got bitten several times, whilst on a Med cruise by what we believed to be a mosquito. We were concerned there were mossies in the cabin so asked Guest Relations if it was possible to give it a spray with some bug killer. We couldn't believe the procedure they went through - taking the beds apart, checking the curtains and bedding and spraying the whole room We weren't allowed back in for several hours. The also did follow up checks with us for several days. I'm pretty certain they didn't do this to deal with a mosquito or two, but because they were concerned about bed bugs.

Edited by Bobal

Since you say this would have happened over several nights and since I believe reaction to bed bug bites appears shortly after being bitten did they not show any signs on the ship and why didn't you report it there and then?

The reason I ask is that one of our family got bitten several times, whilst on a Med cruise by what we believed to be a mosquito. We were concerned there were mossies in the cabin so asked Guest Relations if it was possible to give it a spray with some bug killer. We couldn't believe the procedure they went through - taking the beds apart, checking the curtains and bedding and spraying the whole room We weren't allowed back in for several hours. The also did follow up checks with us for several days. I'm pretty certain they didn't do this to deal with a mosquito or two, but because they were concerned about bed bugs.

Go to CDC.gov. Bed bug bites can take up to 14 days after bitten to appear. We got off the ship on Sun & bites began appearing Tuesday.

Seriously? :eek: Bed bugs don't care where they sleep or who they bite. They can be brought in anywhere by anyone rich or poor.

We try not to put our luggage on the floor in hotels until after we have had a good look for them. It goes on the table or dresser. I think most people don't do this, but we do.

OP, I hope your boys get better fast and you can find out where they came from. Hopefully the bed bugs will be taken care of.

I read somewhere that you should put your luggage in the bathroom preferably the tub when entering a hotel and check your bedding for black dots. Bed bugs will not show up in bathtubs, they can't crawl up the sides.

Go to CDC.gov. Bed bug bites can take up to 14 days after bitten to appear. We got off the ship on Sun & bites began appearing Tuesday.

I am curious, how many days was this sailing? If there is a 14 day period to which the bites might take to show, could it have happened prior to your even getting on the ship? I'm not saying it could not have happened on the ship, I'm just wondering if the source could have been from else where.

I hope your kids are feeling better soon.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I am curious, how many days was this sailing? If there is a 14 day period to which the bites might take to show, could it have happened prior to your even getting on the ship? I'm not saying it could not have happened on the ship, I'm just wondering if the source could have been from else where.

Read the cdc post. It's up to 14 days meaning anywhere between 1 to 14 days. It's like UP TO 50% off on your next cruise.

We always take a large can of bed bug spray from Ace or Lowes and spray the bed as soon as we get to out cabin. We also spray our cases before we repack to come home. Not sure if it helps but it gives me one less worry lol.

Sailing was 10-17 of July. Hotel on the 9th, which leaves 5 nights prior into the "14 day" window. We all slept at home with no sign or indication of bed bugs. I agree any cruise, hotel, etc can become a victim as bugs don't discriminate. Again, just wanting to spare others as Royal Caribbean has not followed up about our kids specific cabin. Facts are facts as well. If you read all of the details I wrote on who has bites & who does not & which family members slept where, it's (unfortunately) pretty obvious where they came from.

Read the cdc post. It's up to 14 days meaning anywhere between 1 to 14 days. It's like UP TO 50% off on your next cruise.

I did read it. The better article was the one about spotting bed bugs. :eek: 14 days also means that it could have happened 7 days before they got on the ship, if it was 7 day sailing. It could/might have even happened the day they got off the ship on their way home if it took 1 day to show. It also could have happened on the ship like the OP believes.

I just asked them how long their cruise was and mused a few questions. The more curious thing is that since everyone reacts differently it is interesting how both of their children showed the symptoms at the same time. Hopefully the op and spouse don't get the bite reaction after their kids.

As I stated earlier, I hope that both kids are feeling better.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Sailing was 10-17 of July. Hotel on the 9th, which leaves 5 nights prior into the "14 day" window. We all slept at home with no sign or indication of bed bugs. I agree any cruise, hotel, etc can become a victim as bugs don't discriminate. Again, just wanting to spare others as Royal Caribbean has not followed up about our kids specific cabin. Facts are facts as well. If you read all of the details I wrote on who has bites & who does not & which family members slept where, it's (unfortunately) pretty obvious where they came from.

So, exactly what do you want from CC and rci?

I did read it. I just stated a couple of posts up that hopefully you and your spouse have passed through the "window" of reaction time.

I know I'd sooner be effected than my kids. I can imagine how you feel.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We always take a large can of bed bug spray from Ace or Lowes and spray the bed as soon as we get to out cabin. We also spray our cases before we repack to come home. Not sure if it helps but it gives me one less worry lol.

Don't spray the mattresses unless you plan on taking them home with you. Many people have breathing issues and chemicals like that can cause some major problems.

So, exactly what do you want from CC and rci?

I posted on CC looking to see if others from my ship had experienced these bites in an effort to confirm where we got them so RC would do all possible to exterminate and not infect other families. I've never posted on any sites like this do was very shocked at all of the posts & opinions. I only expected to hear from anyone who might have bites, but got way more than that! lol. I wish RC would follow up & let me know what they have done or find.

I posted on CC looking to see if others from my ship had experienced these bites in an effort to confirm where we got them so RC would do all possible to exterminate and not infect other families. I've never posted on any sites like this do was very shocked at all of the posts & opinions. I only expected to hear from anyone who might have bites, but got way more than that! lol. I wish RC would follow up & let me know what they have done or find.

You can rest assured your cabin has been checked, every time the sheets are changed and on turn around day. The hotel staff are trained for these kinds of things. And I suspect your cabin was checked again since you contacted them.

I thought you already confirmed where you got the bites, the title of your thread. Are you now saying you are not sure and want confirmation from others who sailed?

Edited by setsail