Children misbehaving on Voyager

Embl

I fully understand how the OP feels. We took a cruise last February and there were hundreds of spring break college kids from Florida State (way to represent) on board and any rules went out the window! So much blatant underage drinking. Hundreds sharing drink packages. They completely took over the pool without any regard for others. Disgusting behavior in the main dining room - even went as far as having girls get in their knees and had guys hold a beer at crotch level while she chugged[emoji33]. Yup. Table right next to us at dinner. I saw so many bare butts in thongs and plenty of bare breasts, nipple included with shirts or rompers cut down to their stomach and hello your shirt gaps wide open when you move! They took over the bars in droves. Had to fight your way to get a drink. Cussing. Throwing up in the hot tubs rendering them useless while being cleaned. Just sick. There were several of us that complained but the behavior continued. The only employees we saw do anything about it were the bar tenders at the Schooner. We cruise every February to celebrate our anniversary. This year we chose an expensive 8 night sailing. This issue with unruly passengers needs to be addressed and delt with. I applaud the OP for taking a stand!

Edited by goldgirl2

OMG...why do people keep quoting me???? Did you not read the OP's statement? He/she said it happened THREE months ago. I wanted to know what he/she expected RC to do NOW and the OP kindly answered. What is so difficult here to understand?

FWIW your original quote wasn't clear. You said not sure what you want RC to do. You did not mention anything about the 3 month time frame. Just because the OP read your mind doesn't mean everyone will.

I fully understand how the OP feels. We took a cruise last February and there were hundreds of spring break college kids from Florida State (way to represent) on board and any rules went out the window! So much blatant underage drinking. Hundreds sharing drink packages. They completely took over the pool without any regard for others. Disgusting behavior in the main dining room - even went as far as having girls get in their knees and had guys hold a beer at crotch level while she chugged[emoji33]. Yup. Table right next to us at dinner. I saw so many bare butts in thongs and plenty of bare breasts, nipple included with shirts or rompers cut down to their stomach and hello your shirt gaps wide open when you move! They took over the bars in droves. Had to fight your way to get a drink. Cussing. Throwing up in the hot tubs rendering them useless while being cleaned. Just sick. There were several of us that complained but the behavior continued. The only employees we saw do anything about it were the bar tenders at the Schooner. We cruise every February to celebrate our anniversary. This year we chose an expensive 8 night sailing. This issue with unruly passengers needs to be addressed and delt with. I applaud the OP for taking a stand!

Sounds really bad, good you have not seen the cruise directors:p

I'm fascinated enough by threads like this to occasionally read them. I get to wonder what goes on inside the heads of such intolerant people.

We seem to know that what ever behaviour was being exhibited here that it fell short of the point of any substantive intervention from the ship's staff. So, we're somewhere between the gay banter of young children enjoying themselves and the limit of behaviour that adults are held to.

Here we have some people whose holiday was enormously supported by the financial contribution of others (they were not on a private charter) and they're complaining that they couldn't have the holiday they might have chosen had they paid for the entire experience themselves.

Shared environments implies a shared experience. You get what those around you choose to contribute. There are limits and these were worked within.

It's tough luck really and it's hardly surprising the cruise line is trying to ignore you.

You can vote with your feet if you want to. If enough follow you then you might effect change. If you're walking alone you'll have the opportunity to learn something about yourselves.

As for our family we choose cruise lines aligned to our tastes. For example, we don't travel on P&O Australia since there's far to many drunk Australian's for our liking (being drunk is the national pastime in New Zealand and Australia - and it's an extremely popular pastime at that). For us, a screaming happy kid (using any language) is vastly preferential to a drunk adult.

Edited by MrYellowDuck

I am beyond aghast that anyone would suggest that to AVOID 'gang-members' and their unlawful behavior, that the SOLUTION is to not cruise at certain months of the year.!

Rude, dangerous behavior from ANYONE should not be tolerated for one second..... at any time of the year ----- during ANY month or time/slot.

A few yrs . ago, some 'wild' ones destroyed the Ginger-bread-house display on one of the CELEBRITY ships/ Xmas time.

The culprits were confined to their cabin. It was EASY for security to find them, via all the security cameras.

And they were put off at the next port.

THIS is how to handle BAAAAAAD behavior.

I am beyond aghast that anyone would suggest that to AVOID 'gang-members' and their unlawful behavior, that the SOLUTION is to not cruise at certain months of the year.!

Rude, dangerous behavior from ANYONE should not be tolerated for one second..... at any time of the year ----- during ANY month or time/slot.

It's common sense. That's when children and teenagers cruise in greater abundance. If you want to avoid them, cruise at other times. That's hardly a shocking revelation.

When someone gets mugged while walking in the rough part of time at night alone -- sure it is unacceptable and should never happen. But you COULD have avoided it, or at least reduced your chances.

Or not. It's a free country.

That sounds like an amazing cruise, TBH. Except for the vomit in the hot tub.

3 months have passed since this cruise and still no contact from RCI. This was an absolutely dreadful example of RCI's onboard security just not caring about the safety of its elderly passengers. We were confronted by what can only be described as a gang of roughly 10+ children aged from about 9-16 who made the cruise an absolute misery. It was impossible to watch the 10pm late night movie as these children quite deliberately yelled, swore and carried on in and around the pools and spas. They would come down en masse and take over the spas either not letting others in or making it impossible to remain in the spa. Many people gave up watching the movies due to the noise and intimidation. Elderly passengers in particular were sworn at if they asked for quiet or were intimidated in other ways. The situation escalated after several of us complained to Security. The group would literally surround us in the Theatre, sitting next to us, behind and in front of us, constantly talking and making disgusting comments about the elderly. One elderly passenger was 'accidently' hit in the back of the head, another was threatened with a bashing while an elderly couple were jostled causing the woman to fall over. There were many,many like incidents. This group roamed the ship at all hours with no regard to a curfew. Several reports were made to Guest Services who contacted Security. We saw a Security Officer sitting at the bar across from GS and asked him about curfew times. We were told there was no curfew which is not what was advertised in the Cruise Compass. After a few more incidents we got to talk to the 'suit' Security who told us that they had already spoken to the parents and were too busy with other incidents onboard to be able to monitor the situation as they didn't regard it as a high priority. Eventually, on the last 2 nights, Security did start taking some notice but many of us were still harassed by having our photos taken, being followed around the ship and even being abused by one of the parents. I want to point out that there were some lovely children onboard who absolutely did the right thing. I was extremely unhappy with the ineffectiveness and uncaring attitude of the Voyager's security team. Some of them actually seemed sacred of the group of children. My safety, and that of other elderly passengers, was compromised by the inability of the Security staff to control the behaviour of this group. Why was that?

MrYellowDuck This is not "the gay banter of young children" - this was "elderly abuse" and bullying!! They paid for a cruise and did not expect harrassment.

Edited by nancronin

Wow. Just...wow.

Do not quote individual posts in your response if you do not want people to take your comments as directed to them. Had you quoted ALL or NONE of the "Again" posts it would have been clear you were speaking in a general sense. As you quoted ONLY the one directed at me it appeared you were referring to me.

See the difference?

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

MrYellowDuck This is not "the gay banter of young children" - this was "elderly abuse" and bullying!! They paid for a cruise and did not expect harrassment.

Thank you! This was far more than "kids being kids". I have no issues with kids having fun - but harming others (elders or anyone else) is in no way, shape or form ok!

Do not quote individual posts in your response if you do not want people to take your comments as directed to them. Had you quoted ALL or NONE of the "Again" posts it would have been clear you were speaking in a general sense. As you quoted ONLY the one directed at me it appeared you were referring to me.

See the difference?

Even with me explaining myself, you still feel slighted?

Wow...

My DS and DD misbehaved on one of our cruises and were brought to me by security. Apparently the group they joined were all finding it funny to insult other passengers for laughs.

It was the LAST time they misbehaved. The following morning I was even so cruel & inhumane to have them point out the couple they offended and to face-to-face apologize.

I miss the days when the "village" that helped raise your child could still do some disciplining and re-enforce respect.;)

OMG, a parent who actually parents!!! :) Kudos!

Reader

Perhaps the time has come for us old farts to learn from the young and get that cell phone out and film the problem. From what some of the people posting, I am sure that headquarters would be shocked to see what is going on. Perhaps if you took video not to guest services, but asked to see someone in charge... you would get somewhere. Seems like everyone under 20 is filming everything.... Just a thought for the future.

Perhaps the time has come for us old farts to learn from the young and get that cell phone out and film the problem. From what some of the people posting, I am sure that headquarters would be shocked to see what is going on. Perhaps if you took video not to guest services, but asked to see someone in charge... you would get somewhere. Seems like everyone under 20 is filming everything.... Just a thought for the future.

Juniors Mom & Dad would probably sue you for filming the little angel, with out their permission.

In our society they would win!:(

Reader

this is why cell phones are useful on a cruise. Taking pictures of unruly children. And of adults...😎 Seriously though, it's 2016 and if you want to make a point with guest services, cruise police or whomever regarding anything that's bothering you, snap a picture and take a movie.

My thoughts exactly. I agree that there are some unruly kids as there are unruly adults. You find them anywhere. But for them to be everywhere these people were is al little over the top. Just mt opinion. I could be wrong though.

If you read the post carefully the children weren't everywhere. Examples were quoted. Although a ship is large it can also feel small when at capacity and everywhere seems to be crowded. If children can't find a space to call their own or don't go to kid's club they tend to be constantly roaming. At times they take over an area by sheer force of numbers. If you have never experienced this then you're lucky because you won't be when you do.

We were confronted by what can only be described as a gang of roughly 10+ children aged from about 9-16....

It was impossible to watch the 10pm late night movie as these children quite deliberately yelled, swore and carried on in and around the pools and spas.

They would come down en masse and take over the spas either not letting others in or making it impossible to remain in the spa.

Many people gave up watching the movies due to the noise and intimidation.

Elderly passengers in particular were sworn at if they asked for quiet or were intimidated in other ways.

The group would literally surround us in the Theatre, sitting next to us, behind and in front of us, constantly talking and making disgusting comments about the elderly.

One elderly passenger was 'accidently' hit in the back of the head, another was threatened with a bashing while an elderly couple were jostled causing the woman to fall over.

There were many,many like incidents.

This group roamed the ship at all hours with no regard to a curfew.

After a few more incidents we got to talk to the 'suit' Security who told us that they had already spoken to the parents and were too busy with other incidents onboard to be able to monitor the situation as they didn't regard it as a high priority.

Eventually, on the last 2 nights, Security did start taking some notice

I just don't understand how 10 kids, some as young as 9, could do all of that. I don't even get how that group could *surround* a bunch of people. Don't get me wrong; I have always been able to be intimidated by teens (as a kid, as a teen, and as a full-blown adult), but with just 10ish kids, I just don't get it. If there was just one senior citizen as downright mean as my mother in law it all would have ended. Get 20 seniors who aren't as mean but are feisty and it could all have changed, too. But was it all seniors plus these kids?

Were the people who were being injured and actively harassed the ones going to Security to file actual complaints? Or was it just witnesses going to complain? That generally makes a difference.

I, too, wonder what you want them to do, 3 months later. The time for action was ON the cruise, and the action didn't happen for whatever reason.

Were the people who were being injured and actively harassed the ones going to Security to file actual complaints? Or was it just witnesses going to complain? That generally makes a difference.

I can tell you first hand that the people making the complaints were those being bothered, including the elderly lady who fell over. Being badgered by a group of young people when you're by yourself or even in a group of 4 can be quite frightening. Young people, and adults, are often prone to making poor decisions when in a group and tend to develop a group mentality. Being elderly and walking aided at times makes you an easy target.

I can tell you first hand that the people making the complaints were those being bothered, including the elderly lady who fell over. Being badgered by a group of young people when you're by yourself or even in a group of 4 can be quite frightening. Young people, and adults, are often prone to making poor decisions when in a group and tend to develop a group mentality. Being elderly and walking aided at times makes you an easy target.

Some of us little old ladies ARE lawyers...! I applaud OP for making sure that RCL is aware of the problem, and not just leaving it on the ship. If a particular ship's Security and Pursar's Desk aren't responding to a problem effectively, RCL has no way of knowing unless passengers follow up when they're off the ship. Maybe they need more training, or maybe their staff was short-handed. Either way, unruly kids on cruises can definitely give a cruiseline a bad rep.

Edited by Truluv

Some of us little old ladies ARE lawyers...! I applaud OP for making sure that RCL is aware of the problem, and not just leaving it on the ship. If a particular ship's Security and Pursar's Desk aren't responding to a problem effectively, RCL has no way of knowing unless passengers follow up when they're off the ship. Maybe they need more training, or maybe their staff was short-handed. Either way, unruly kids on cruises can definitely give a cruiseline a bad rep.

Yes, and LEO's, :)

Edited by Reader0108598

I have no advice and I am unsure what RCCl can do to make the situation better. But I wanted to say I am sorry that these behaviors happened to you.

The child that assaulted (pushed down)the women should have been put off with one of his parents at the next port. The security should have had a increased presence.

We like most people with teens have to cruise during school break so it means a lot of kids and not all of them are good kids. It only takes a couple of bad ones to make a large group of them act like this.