Children misbehaving on Voyager

Embl

I would expect security personnel to enforce rules. Harassing other cruisers to the extend of causing someone to fall and verbally abusing them must be serious enough to warrant being put off ship if parents refuse to co-operate in controlling the children. Bullies. Wonder how many peers they make miserable at school and on social media?

OMG...why do people keep quoting me???? Did you not read the OP's statement? He/she said it happened THREE months ago. I wanted to know what he/she expected RC to do NOW and the OP kindly answered. What is so difficult here to understand?

I am sorry this happened to you and fellow passengers. Not really sure what you expect RCCL to do though.

The little rat b@st@rds should have been put off the ship - along with their no good parents.

This behavior is assault & battery and should never be tolerated.

In the future if you see this behavior and ship's security fails to intervene - start filming and use their zippy new internet to upload to your favorite news channel and that great cruise line hater lawyer!

The little rat b@st@rds should have been put off the ship - along with their no good parents.

This behavior is assault & battery and should never be tolerated.

In the future if you see this behavior and ship's security fails to intervene - start filming and use their zippy new internet to upload to your favorite news channel and that great cruise line hater lawyer!

AGAIN???? Seriously, does no one READ?????

I would expect security personnel to enforce rules. Harassing other cruisers to the extend of causing someone to fall and verbally abusing them must be serious enough to warrant being put off ship if parents refuse to co-operate in controlling the children. Bullies. Wonder how many peers they make miserable at school and on social media?

You really believe all this stuff. Every inch of public space is on camera. The security staff seemed scared of children:rolleyes: really

What I believe is that some children were on a cruise 3 months ago and caused some disruption and since rci did not massage someone's ego over the past 3 months now they have decided to use cc.

Edited by setsail

Have really had no problem with children on any cruise, but best cruise we ever took was a adult only Europe cruise, we also love Sandals which is adults only and wish some major cruise lines would have at least some adults only cruise, I pretty sure Celebrity had some years ago.

Reminds me of the movie Harry Brown.

Roving gangs of preteens harassing all the elders on the ship with security powerless to stop it.

Mocking them, intimidating them, throwing them to the floor, confronting them at every turn.

Until Micheal Cane has enough and posts on Cruise Critic about it.

You really believe all this stuff. Every inch of public space is on camera. The security staff seemed scared of children:rolleyes: really

What I believe is that some children were on a cruise 3 months ago and caused some disruption and since rci did not massage someone's ego over the past 3 months now they have decided to use cc.

What a shame you believe this. You are entitled to your opinion of course but you weren't there. It's a pity you would choose to judge people you don't know and comment in this way on a situation that was deeply distressing to others.

What we were told is that Head Office would be appraised of the situation and that we would receive acknowledgement of our complaints. This was offered to reassure us that Royal Caribbean was taking the matter seriously. What we're expecting is that acknowledgement. We haven't booked any further cruises with this line. We'll forgo our Diamond+ and try another line. i can't speak for the others.

First - I am sorry you had to encounter some bully behavior of some ill mannered children. It is sad but unfortunately it happens on many spring cruises. I think the behavior of security on board changes during that time frame. I've witnessed it. They know that there will be an abundance on board and may be trained to only react to certain situations. Harassment is not something they want to step in for fear of parent retaliation. Sad as it may seem.

It is now in the past, but at the time it happened, putting the incident in writing and submitting it to the head of security they might have taken it more seriously. Other than that, to them, it is another thing as part of spring break cruises.

I stopped going on RCCL for a few years because of a similar incident which I observed. I was so frustrated in the security staff taking the "I'm just here to watch and smile" attitude. It took some doing for me to want to come back.

Good luck on obtaining a followup. I don't think your odds are good. And I highly recommend blocking out cruising between the beginning of March and early May. It is not a good time for the elderly regardless of the line.

Very sorry this happened to you. There is no excuse for this and I am surprised more wasn't done on board at the time. However, joining CC 3 months later to vent about it- while it may make you feel a bit better - is probably not the healthiest solution. I've never heard of Royal not enforcing their curfew. They always seem to be MORE diligent about it during spring break and summer sailings. Sadly, I doubt you will get much response from corporate now. They should have responded immediately, either onboard or once you were home. I just can't imagine adult passengers seeing this and allowing it to continue.

AGAIN???? Seriously, does no one READ?????

I think they're not reading the whole thread. The quote that people are quoting does come off kinda harsh. So I think people are just like "Hey wait a minute!" and responding immediately, instead of reading on to see your explanation in the later post. Perhaps you could edit the post that everyone keeps responding too. Otherwise, it's going to keep happening.

pretty sure the ship's security does not count as law enforcement officers. Best they could do is probably confine the little bastiges (and maybe their parents) to their staterooms and put them off the ship at the next port. Not sure what they would charge them with, and under whose law. The next port? The perpetrators' country of origin? The victims' country of origin? The Bahamas, where the ship is likely registered?

The odds that they'd be charged with a crime is minimal, but if this level of behavior was a constant the line could certainly have had the families involved removed from the ship. the fact that they didn't even try to at least confine the kids to staterooms (and claimed all they did was "speak to the parents") seems to point that they are more interested in keeping the goodwill of one group than the other.

the OP apparently has waited quite a long time for the cruise line to get back to them about this issue and they don't like that they have been waiting.

It is a usual cruise problem that after awhile the kids get bored and some of them start doing stuff like this. there was a group of underage folks hanging at one of the bars on my last one. They weren't abusive or threatening but some were being obnoxious. Younger ones were climbing up on people's chairs to reach the bar so they could demand a Coke. that sort of thing.

Edited by makiramarlena

A similar set of events happened to friends of mine on a Princess cruise over the Christmas holidays. Security flat out told her that they would not do anything about it, since the family to which all of the children belonged spent a lot of money on the ship.

:eek:

pretty sure the ship's security does not count as law enforcement officers. Best they could do is probably confine the little bastiges (and maybe their parents) to their staterooms and put them off the ship at the next port. Not sure what they would charge them with, and under whose law. The next port? The perpetrators' country of origin? The victims' country of origin? The Bahamas, where the ship is likely registered?

I can see passengers with lit torches marching the whole family off

to walk the plank!! At least the pirates had the right idea!! :p :p

Sorry...if we want to take a cruise we will take it when we want. If the employees of the line refuses to do their job properly then we will deal with the line, take our business elsewhere in the future and let as many people as possible now at least some representatives of the company do not take passenger safety seriously.

I refuse to be a whimp. While I won't be the type of guest to make unreasonable request/demands...I will insist that the company honor their commitment to us and their employees do their d@mn job.

While I can appreciate your bravado in cruising "when you want" I see you have your next one in April, while school is in session. :p Please don't get mad at me, I'm only having a little fun with your comments.:)

Seriously though, we only cruise (so far) when school is in session or take longer cruises to avoid raucous children during school breaks. I don't consider it being wimpy but rather mitigating the events described in the OPs original post. When you plan for your vacation you want to maximize your expectation of a good vacation and should consider hoards of children underfoot a consideration. It's just good planning. I just hope the OP finds some resolution as no one wants their vacation ruined needlessly.

Edited by LarryL

Like anywhere else, while on the ship, you simply have to take your complaint up the tree of command until you find a resolution. The politically correct security people all report to someone. I can assure you that once you reach the appropriate level, they will care and they will be able to facilitate a resolution that works. Also keep in mind that there is recorded video surveillance of all areas of the ship. They simply have to "rewind the tape" and observe what happened.

Edited by TubbyMrT

A lot of posters are recommending cruising when kids are in school. Yes, July and August do have a lot of kids, but I cruise all year round and find any more that every cruise has a lot of kids. There are so many non-USA cruisers, assuming you are cruising from a US port, home schooled kids, and parents taking their kids out for a couple of days and taking advantage of other breaks, in-service teacher days, etc. so as not to miss an entire week. I also think OP was referring to an Australian cruise - totally different time frame.

To avoid kids one needs to take a longer cruise over 7 days.

I am sorry this happened to the original OP. However, if things were that bad I would have skipped guest services and addressed the situation with a senior officer. I am a senior, travel solo sometimes, and would not be intimidated by kids, (or adults).

On one cruise a group of "kids" similar age refused to leave the solarium. They pretended not to understand English when asked, and signs were pointed out to them. Security was called. A young, very fit looking, security officer arrived. At first the kids tried the "no English " trick. He blasted them in fluent Spanish and Portuguese. Another passenger translated for onlookers like myself. Basically he gave them a warning, said if he ever saw them in the solarium, or misbehaving any where, they were off the ship, with their entire family.

Never had another problem! Always stuck with me how good he was. I think if you have a problem you have be proactive and look out for yourself.

We were on one of the June sailings and the kids on board were running all over the ship. It was frustrating but we managed to avoid them as much as possible. I am sorry that some parents don't enforce rules with their children or even sue precise them. It really puts RC in a bind just like school teachers. Did you write your complaint to one of the big wigs at RC or to a general mailbox. Could make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where was this cruise? Isn't Voyager in Australia and China? Not that it excuses anything, just wondering if it might not be the same customers that people are expecting on a Caribbean cruise during US spring break.

3 months have passed since this cruise and still no contact from RCI. This was an absolutely dreadful example of RCI's onboard security just not caring about the safety of its elderly passengers. We were confronted by what can only be described as a gang of roughly 10+ children aged from about 9-16 who made the cruise an absolute misery. It was impossible to watch the 10pm late night movie as these children quite deliberately yelled, swore and carried on in and around the pools and spas. They would come down en masse and take over the spas either not letting others in or making it impossible to remain in the spa. Many people gave up watching the movies due to the noise and intimidation. Elderly passengers in particular were sworn at if they asked for quiet or were intimidated in other ways. The situation escalated after several of us complained to Security. The group would literally surround us in the Theatre, sitting next to us, behind and in front of us, constantly talking and making disgusting comments about the elderly. One elderly passenger was 'accidently' hit in the back of the head, another was threatened with a bashing while an elderly couple were jostled causing the woman to fall over. There were many,many like incidents. This group roamed the ship at all hours with no regard to a curfew. Several reports were made to Guest Services who contacted Security. We saw a Security Officer sitting at the bar across from GS and asked him about curfew times. We were told there was no curfew which is not what was advertised in the Cruise Compass. After a few more incidents we got to talk to the 'suit' Security who told us that they had already spoken to the parents and were too busy with other incidents onboard to be able to monitor the situation as they didn't regard it as a high priority. Eventually, on the last 2 nights, Security did start taking some notice but many of us were still harassed by having our photos taken, being followed around the ship and even being abused by one of the parents. I want to point out that there were some lovely children onboard who absolutely did the right thing. I was extremely unhappy with the ineffectiveness and uncaring attitude of the Voyager's security team. Some of them actually seemed sacred of the group of children. My safety, and that of other elderly passengers, was compromised by the inability of the Security staff to control the behaviour of this group. Why was that?

What has been described here is unacceptable! People were harassed and a woman was knocked over. Suggesting that people cruise when school is in session doesn't sound like much of a solution to me. I was on a cruise where part of a group was kicked off for bad behavior. Royal needs to be consistent in handling people who don't know how to conduct themselves properly.

Sorry...if we want to take a cruise we will take it when we want. If the employees of the line refuses to do their job properly then we will deal with the line, take our business elsewhere in the future and let as many people as possible now at least some representatives of the company do not take passenger safety seriously.

I refuse to be a whimp. While I won't be the type of guest to make unreasonable request/demands...I will insist that the company honor their commitment to us and their employees do their d@mn job.

I agree 100%. People should be able to cruise whenever they want to. Parents need to be parents and make sure their little brats behave.

While I can appreciate your bravado in cruising "when you want" I see you have your next one in April, while school is in session. :p Please don't get mad at me, I'm only having a little fun with your comments.:)

Seriously though, we only cruise (so far) when school is in session or take longer cruises to avoid raucous children during school breaks. I don't consider it being wimpy but rather mitigating the events described in the OPs original post. When you plan for your vacation you want to maximize your expectation of a good vacation and should consider hoards of children underfoot a consideration. It's just good planning. I just hope the OP finds some resolution as no one wants their vacation ruined needlessly.

Actually, it looks like their cruise is for 4/14 next year, which is Easter weekend. A whole LOT of schools will be off at that time (including much of south florida) *grin*

I think the behavior of security on board changes during that time frame. I've witnessed it. They know that there will be an abundance on board and may be trained to only react to certain situations. Harassment is not something they want to step in for fear of parent retaliation. Sad as it may seem.

If this is true...in my opinion...then every member of the security team should be terminated. If you are so weak that the possibility of having a parent get irate keeps you from doing your job then you should be doing another job.

And...if the corporate head of security is instructing them to look the other way...well, then maybe it's time to support another company if his boss doesn't see that as a problem.

Not every aspect of every job is pleasant. When in security, dealing with angry people is part of the job. Heck, if everything was always peaches and cream and people were always holding hands and singing Kumbaya then there would be no reason to spend money on security.

Edited by TC1957