Children misbehaving on Voyager

Embl

We were on an easter cruise and there were lots of kids. Some chose to take book from the library and kick them around and other destructive things. The captain came on and addressed everyone and basically called out the kids to knock it off and that behavior will not be tolerated on the ship.

The only real problem we had was on Freedom of the Seas.

At all hours kids would run down the hall and ring door bells to our grand suite.

Well.

One night we patiently waited and heard the herd running down the hall.

I opened the door and took a picture with my phone.

I go do it one more time and I will take this to security.

Never had a ding-dong-ditch again that cruise.

Oh, picture did not take i did not do it quick enuf:D

Safe travels.

Last year on Freedom I had my first experience with bad kids on 20+ cruises, aside from the usual kids taking over the hot tubs or playing on the elevators and seeing teens who clearly are getting alcohol. Kids were switching the Make up Room and Do Not Disturb signs. It wasn't dangerous, just annoying. My stewardess was in tears one day. She had walked into a room with a Make up Room sign when someone was taking a shower, and other people were complaining that their rooms had not been cleaned because Do Not Disturb signs were on their doors. She was worried that she was going to get in trouble because of the complaints.

Unfortunately, the parents of the irresponsible kids probably aren't reading this thread. They either believe their little angels would NEVER do things like this (forgetting that kids can make bad decisions when running in packs, and they don't know anything about their kids' new friends), or they are simply oblivious.

We get so much info on watch sales, bingo, etc. I think RCL could do better on reminding families of conduct expectations for their children -- perhaps by giving them an additional notice when checking in, and a reminder in the Compass during the week.

Edited by Truluv

Really the only thing that needs to happen is the weasel ships security needs to man-up and confront the parents! Tell them to control their kids or the whole lot will be put off the ship of confined to quarters!

Why are you so upset? I was just trying to offer Champagne an explanation because it kinda seemed like everyone was just dog piling on her. I wasn't saying anyone was a bad person in this. Just trying to offer a little perspective.

Because the the post you quoted was the one referring to my post.

I get a little irked because I AM one of the few who actually do read the entire thread before posting

What horrible little ****es! They should have been either locked in their cabins or the whole family put off the ship at the next port.

I would be horrified if my child even considered behaving like that.

I would give one warning to the parents, if it continued, then put all of them off at the next port! I would also Black List the families for 5 years! Maybe they and their kids would grow-up!

IMHO, there is no excuse for this! The ball was dropped by the ship's staff, the kids' parents, security and the other passengers on board. Bullying should never be tolerated, and those of us without children, with physical disabilities and the elderly should be able to cruise whenever we want without having our rights trampled just because some parents don't parent.

If I saw this happening to someone else, I wouldn't hesitate to step up and intervene. If that went nowhere, I would complain all the way up the chain of command on their behalf. If it happened to me, I guarantee it would only happen ONCE.

I take a large group of people with invisible illness on board Royal Caribbean once a year, and would never tolerate having their well being jeopardized. While I have that same illness/disability, I spent almost 20 years in emergency services, and can still handle myself - verbally. I'm not dumb enough to get physical unless it is in self-defense.

What a shame you believe this. You are entitled to your opinion of course but you weren't there. It's a pity you would choose to judge people you don't know and comment in this way on a situation that was deeply distressing to others.

Well are you not judging people you do not know?

Story doesn't seem right to me either. I just don't believe security would just do nothing, and these kids went to the exact shows op went to and went to pool deck at same time also. And I really hate being harassed having my pic taken,you know kinda like the boat does all the time

That's awful. Especially shameful if other passengers failed to jump in and correct the kids and protect the older folks.

Probably best thing you can do next time is avoid cruising in summer and during the spring break season.

Can't beat an early January cruise when out of 3,000 passengers, only 200 are kids. ;)

Why would you make such a ridiculous comment? Why should others have to make their vacation plans around such low life kids? Their are rude, ill mannered kids (good kids also) and then there are this kind. What would the world be like if we all ran from the bullies? I am very disappointed with RC for allowing this. What would have happened if the lady broke something when she fell? Would RC take notice at that point when it was to late?

I am sorry this happened to you and fellow passengers. Not really sure what you expect RCCL to do though.

Exactly what hitcharide said in post #5.

Sorry...if we want to take a cruise we will take it when we want. If the employees of the line refuses to do their job properly then we will deal with the line, take our business elsewhere in the future and let as many people as possible now at least some representatives of the company do not take passenger safety seriously.

I refuse to be a whimp. While I won't be the type of guest to make unreasonable request/demands...I will insist that the company honor their commitment to us and their employees do their d@mn job.

Exactly, we Texans must think a like. It’s called standing up for yourself. If I had such an issue and security wasn't doing anything about it, guess where I would go? Straight to the top. The Captain himself and then let the chips fall. Something tells me I would have no more problems. I have no qualms going to where I need to go to get results. I am also not going to waste my time going up the chain of command to see if the problem is taken care of. I am on vacation and shouldn't have to.

I am not talking about small stuff. I would never bother a Captain for that. I am talking about security and safety issues for myself or others. It would be nice if others would stand up for themselves instead of looking the other way or making their plans around others.

......... Having had enough I shouted to the darling child "Enough!! Please save

that for New Year's Eve". He stopped, glared at me, turned to come toward me....when

most of the diners in that part of the WJ stood up, clapped, and cheered.

The young man and his gang slunk out of the WJ. I watched to see if he or any of his

gang would rejoin his parents in there, but they continued straight out. Parents were

apparently unaware of their behavior, or just did not care. :( Sad.

I did take a bow and wave to my adoring fans. ;) :D

Good for you to say something when no one else would.

Edited by ReneeFLL

OMG...why do people keep quoting me???? Did you not read the OP's statement? He/she said it happened THREE months ago. I wanted to know what he/she expected RC to do NOW and the OP kindly answered. What is so difficult here to understand?

When you said "Not really sure what you expect RCCL to do though." It sounded sarcastic. Also, you commented that it happened 3 months ago. So what? Doesn't matter if it was 3 months earlier or not. If you had an issue with it being 3 months prior, why didn't you ask why they waited instead of making such a comment? People quote you and you get all defensive. :roll eyes: Don't post if you don't want people to quote you.

3 months have passed since this cruise and still no contact from RCI. This was an absolutely dreadful example of RCI's onboard security just not caring about the safety of its elderly passengers. We were confronted by what can only be described as a gang of roughly 10+ children aged from about 9-16 who made the cruise an absolute misery. It was impossible to watch the 10pm late night movie as these children quite deliberately yelled, swore and carried on in and around the pools and spas. They would come down en masse and take over the spas either not letting others in or making it impossible to remain in the spa. Many people gave up watching the movies due to the noise and intimidation. Elderly passengers in particular were sworn at if they asked for quiet or were intimidated in other ways. The situation escalated after several of us complained to Security. The group would literally surround us in the Theatre, sitting next to us, behind and in front of us, constantly talking and making disgusting comments about the elderly. One elderly passenger was 'accidently' hit in the back of the head, another was threatened with a bashing while an elderly couple were jostled causing the woman to fall over. There were many,many like incidents. This group roamed the ship at all hours with no regard to a curfew. Several reports were made to Guest Services who contacted Security. We saw a Security Officer sitting at the bar across from GS and asked him about curfew times. We were told there was no curfew which is not what was advertised in the Cruise Compass. After a few more incidents we got to talk to the 'suit' Security who told us that they had already spoken to the parents and were too busy with other incidents onboard to be able to monitor the situation as they didn't regard it as a high priority. Eventually, on the last 2 nights, Security did start taking some notice but many of us were still harassed by having our photos taken, being followed around the ship and even being abused by one of the parents. I want to point out that there were some lovely children onboard who absolutely did the right thing. I was extremely unhappy with the ineffectiveness and uncaring attitude of the Voyager's security team. Some of them actually seemed sacred of the group of children. My safety, and that of other elderly passengers, was compromised by the inability of the Security staff to control the behaviour of this group. Why was that?

Avoid spring break !!!!!!!!!!!

Well are you not judging people you do not know?

Story doesn't seem right to me either. I just don't believe security would just do nothing, and these kids went to the exact shows op went to and went to pool deck at same time also. And I really hate being harassed having my pic taken,you know kinda like the boat does all the time

No. There was no judgement in my comment. Nothing was said about it happening 24/7. It was actually stated that it mainly happened in the evenings when the children seemed to have time on their hands. I think that if you read all the comments you will find that security has been lax in similar situations. As mentioned, Security did begin to take notice on the final days of the cruise. I can just say that I hope you never find yourself in a similar situation when you're in your 80s.

My mouth is still agape at reading the first post, not to mention the postings of others who have experienced behavior that is clearly a violation of the Royal Guest Conduct policy, elaborated here: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

It is amazing -- appalling! -- that the OP or anyone should have to experience this kind of behavior.

They have brigs on these ships, right? They should use them!!

Good for you to say something when no one else would.

Thanks! I did feel better about myself when I received the standing ovation! ;) :)

It should not be that way, however, that others have to reprimand the children of

parents that obviously don't care about what kind of trouble their little angels

could be getting into. The security team was not hired on to be babysitters.

Unfortunately those kind of parents are then the first to cry foul when their children

do get into trouble, get hurt.....or worse. It is suddenly everyone's fault but their own.

Parents...please be responsible and supervise your children. They are depending

on you to raise them to be responsible adults.

Demand to meet with

Snip/Bold mine

This kind of thinking is what gets to me. Too many people DEMANDING instead of asking or handling the situation like an adult.

DEMAND IT!!! YOU DESERVE IT!!! IT'S ABOUT YOU!!!! DEMAND IT!

Sure would be a shame if one of the little ba$tards were to slip and fall overboard.

Accidents happen...

You know it never ceases to amaze me the things I read here.

You are just as bad as the children you criticize. To say something like this shows what a disgusting person you and the person that basically agreed with you are.

No they shouldn't have been running around behaving badly but to say it would be ok if one fell overboard and died just makes you a crappy person.

I understand exactly what the OP experienced because I've been there.:( My husband and I don't have children and we love to cruise. I loved every minute of my 30 years as a teacher and a principal, but my job also meant that if we wanted to cruise we did so at peak times -- Spring Break, Summer, and holidays. We routinely had 900-1100 children (under 18) on our cruises. For the most part, I took great pleasure in watching the children be children -- we could all stand a little more unjaded excitement and pleasure in our lives.

On one cruise it was different, and it was miserable. A Spring Break cruise on the Voyager was practically ruined by the teenagers whose parents took a parenting vacation that week.:mad: I'm not talking about the usual silly teen stuff...I'm talking about destructive, hurtful, and dangerous behavior. I won't go into a lot of detail, but some of the things that happened were older people being shoved out of the way or barred from entering elevators, glasses of liquid being thrown at passengers who were in their way, sprawling out eating in the elevators and leaving food everywhere, and telling my husband (screaming at him) to perform a sex act on himself. We didn't think the ship was at all prepared for the numbers of children, and security allowed this to go on all week. Finally, on the last night there was a more visible security presence and the elevator games stopped. Still, by that time the damage had been done and many passengers who were first time RCI cruisers were disgusted with the ship's response. I know if it had been our first Royal Caribbean cruise it probably would have been our last.

It was with much trepidation and after a LONG talk with C&A and corporate that we decided to give RCI another chance. Happily it's never happened again, but unless you've been in the situation, you don't know how miserable it can be. Even parents with children were frustrated by this group of unruly kids!

I understand exactly what the OP experienced because I've been there.:( My husband and I don't have children and we love to cruise. I loved every minute of my 30 years as a teacher and a principal, but my job also meant that if we wanted to cruise we did so at peak times -- Spring Break, Summer, and holidays. We routinely had 900-1100 children (under 18) on our cruises. For the most part, I took great pleasure in watching the children be children -- we could all stand a little more unjaded excitement and pleasure in our lives.

On one cruise it was different, and it was miserable. A Spring Break cruise on the Voyager was practically ruined by the teenagers whose parents took a parenting vacation that week.:mad: I'm not talking about the usual silly teen stuff...I'm talking about destructive, hurtful, and dangerous behavior. I won't go into a lot of detail, but some of the things that happened were older people being shoved out of the way or barred from entering elevators, glasses of liquid being thrown at passengers who were in their way, sprawling out eating in the elevators and leaving food everywhere, and telling my husband (screaming at him) to perform a sex act on himself. We didn't think the ship was at all prepared for the numbers of children, and security allowed this to go on all week. Finally, on the last night there was a more visible security presence and the elevator games stopped. Still, by that time the damage had been done and many passengers who were first time RCI cruisers were disgusted with the ship's response. I know if it had been our first Royal Caribbean cruise it probably would have been our last.

It was with much trepidation and after a LONG talk with C&A and corporate that we decided to give RCI another chance. Happily it's never happened again, but unless you've been in the situation, you don't know how miserable it can be. Even parents with children were frustrated by this group of unruly kids!

f869f6512b0d7187f4e475fc9aa7f250.png

I am in full agreement that this kind of thing should not be allowed to happen and security should do something about it.

BUT in the cases the OP is citing - the 10pm movie, shows in the theater - the curfew wouldn't even enter into the equation as it is 1am.

Again, not excusing the behavior. Just pointing out that unless these events happened after 1am (not saying they didn't - and super good on the elderly who are up at that hour as even I am usually in bed then!!), whether there is a curfew is irrelevant because it is not in effect at 10pm.

I am in full agreement that this kind of thing should not be allowed to happen and security should do something about it.

BUT in the cases the OP is citing - the 10pm movie, shows in the theater - the curfew wouldn't even enter into the equation as it is 1am.

On Voyager the curfew for minors was midnight as advertised in the Cruise Compass and the 10pm movie was shown on deck. It's around midnight when the movie finishes so unaccompanied minors should be in their cabins. On previous cruises the curfew has been 1am. Minors can be out and about after that time but are supposed to be accompanied by a responsible adult. I must say though that the curfew tends to depend on the region you're sailing in and is imposed at the discretion of the security staff.

Edited by Embl

On Voyager the curfew for minors was midnight as advertised in the Cruise Compass and the 10pm movie was shown on deck. It's around midnight when the movie finishes so unaccompanied minors should be in their cabins. On previous cruises the curfew has been 1am. Minors can be out and about after that time but are supposed to be accompanied by a responsible adult. I must say though that the curfew tends to depend on the region you're sailing in and is imposed at the discretion of the security staff.

Even with midnight, for a movie starting at 10, they would not *have* to be accompanied UNTIL midnight. Prior to that - while I agree that especially at the pool there should be parental supervision - what time curfew is is a moot point. It does not state they must be accompanied at anything ending at/after curfew. Just that they must be AT curfew. (not getting into enforcement - that is another thread all together)

Again, just stating that prior to the curfew time there is no point in arguing that there is a curfew. When things happen AFTER the curfew, then that is a valid argument.

You really believe all this stuff. Every inch of public space is on camera. The security staff seemed scared of children:rolleyes: really

What I believe is that some children were on a cruise 3 months ago and caused some disruption and since rci did not massage someone's ego over the past 3 months now they have decided to use cc.

My thoughts exactly. I agree that there are some unruly kids as there are unruly adults. You find them anywhere. But for them to be everywhere these people were is al little over the top. Just mt opinion. I could be wrong though.