Tipping bartenders?

jabrown40

I didn't post this to start an argument on tipping. As another commented, that subject has been addressed elsewhere. On my last cruise, I had a couple of enjoyable evenings at martini bar, and the server made me a couple of excellent martinis, and I ordered them based on his listening to my preferences. I'm not much of an experimental drinker, I tend to get the same thing when I am buying a drink in a restaurant. So when I'm on the ship, it's an opportunity to try something new. The bartender at the Sunset Bar also made a couple of things for me that I had no idea what they would be, and I loved them! So I just wanted to know the best way to offer someone a little more for helping me enjoy my evening. If I sign a receipt, the tip goes into the "pool", right? Seems like a couple of dollars might be the way to go. I carry a little wallet purse, not much of a hassle.

Since tipping is is added to you bill you have every right to expect a high level of service. If it is exceeded you can tip extra. If it's woefully inadequate, what is your recourse? It's results based, friendliness or working hard isn't a requirement and does not factor in my judgement. We do a lot of transatlantics and we tip the waitstaff, fairly nicely at the start and at the end.

I didn't post this to start an argument on tipping. As another commented, that subject has been addressed elsewhere. On my last cruise, I had a couple of enjoyable evenings at martini bar, and the server made me a couple of excellent martinis, and I ordered them based on his listening to my preferences. I'm not much of an experimental drinker, I tend to get the same thing when I am buying a drink in a restaurant. So when I'm on the ship, it's an opportunity to try something new. The bartender at the Sunset Bar also made a couple of things for me that I had no idea what they would be, and I loved them! So I just wanted to know the best way to offer someone a little more for helping me enjoy my evening. If I sign a receipt, the tip goes into the "pool", right? Seems like a couple of dollars might be the way to go. I carry a little wallet purse, not much of a hassle.

Yes, on the slip it goes into the pool. If you want to acknowledge a certain bartender, cash is good. :)

On our last cruise we had the drinks package, and I don't believe that I ever had to sign for any drinks. I think all they did was swipe our room card. So this is my question-do you take extra cash with you and just tip discreetly at the bar? I would like to do a little something extra when a bartender does a great job for me.

We also had the beverage package, so we did not tip every time. However, there was one server who did a great job when my husband said Surprise me with something." She was so excited to mix something out of the ordinary, because most people were ordering beers and margaritas, that she made amazing beverages for us. And they were all still in the classic plan. We tipped her extra. She went above and beyond. :)

They will be very happy to take tips from you either in cash or on the slip that you sign when you get your drink.. My attitude however is since they get a 15% tip for handing me a can of beer or pouring a pre-made trip, there is no reason to tip them more. A 15% tip is way too much for the limited service they provide me.

For those who say that they tip $1 per drink, do you realize that on top of the mandatory 15% tip, your additional tip means that you are tipping them at the rate of 27%. If you buy a $5 can of beer and tip at the same rate, you are tipping at 35%. Think about it.

For those of you who say that you get faster service by bribing them with cash tips, my comment is that I am entitled to exactly the same service as those who pay bribes to the bartenders. If I feel that they are serving me faster than they are serving you, that will be the very last drink that I purchase on the ship.

Maybe that is why unless I get a free drink package with my cruise, typical bar bill on a cruise is maybe $10.

DON

It's quite obvious, really. Some of us are just more generous than others. Your post pretty much proves that. I'm in the food/hospitality business. When I'm on holiday, if those who take care of me, do a great job, they are rewarded justly. In my business, we refer to it as "Taking care of our own"!

They are supposed to do a great job for you, that's their job. I do NOT tip extra.

There are PLENTY of other pax who feel if staff go above & beyond the norm, we reward them with extra gratuities. It's our choice, not yours.

We usually find a favorite bartender and stick with him or her for the entire cruise. On Connie, we found I-Wayan at the Sunset Bar. He seemed genuinely interested in our conversations, knew us by name, and what our preferences were. I palmed him a cash gratuity on the last night. Same with the assistant waitress. I saw extra effort in them, so I felt they needed more than just a handshake and compliment. I'd say the amount would be up to the tipper.

They are supposed to do a great job for you, that's their job. I do NOT tip extra.

It's quite obvious, really. Some of us are just more generous than others. Your post pretty much proves that. I'm in the food/hospitality business. When I'm on holiday, if those who take care of me, do a great job, they are rewarded justly. In my business, we refer to it as "Taking care of our own"!

There are PLENTY of other pax who feel if staff go above & beyond the norm, we reward them with extra gratuities. It's our choice, not yours.

it may well be that some posters are simply 'generous' .

However most of the staff I have spoken to have great concerns that 'tippers' expect something in return . Indeed I witnessed one tipper berating a barman for not serving him before me. Idiot even called the Bar Manager over [emoji33]. Didnt seem too chuffed when told that the staff are instructed to serve guests in turn.

As my friendly barman on Eclipse said "politeness trumps tips every time"

I dont tip and always get served extremely well and get on with all the staff. Personal choice to tip or not. But tippers should not force their beliefs on others nor expect preferential service.

I dont tip and always get served extremely well and get on with all the staff. Personal choice to tip or not. But tippers should not force their beliefs on others nor expect preferential service.

I'm so with you! I never tip as I go along and have always had great service at the bar. I don't feel the need to tip them as I go along to ensure prompt service because I've always got it. If particular waiters give me top service I tip them at the end of the cruise, but that is a personal thing. I also mention their name in the post cruise questionnaire. Treat them kindly and respectfully and say please and thank you works a treat too.

Maligator mentioned I-Wayan at the Sunset Bar on Constellation. What a wonderful group of bar tenders and servers there was there last year.

Phil

Genuine question.

I'm not from a tipping culture either, although often do tip in restaurants where no service charge has been added and we've had good service.

We don't "palm" a tip to the waiter/waitress - we hand it over on the plate or whatever we're using. Why is it necessary to "palm" a tip to someone, it sounds almost like your worried others might see, or that what you're doing is somehow underhand, or that you're entering into some sort of "secret" arrangement between you and the wait staff ?

I don't get it - what's the reason behind it ?

Genuine question.

I'm not from a tipping culture either, although often do tip in restaurants where no service charge has been added and we've had good service.

We don't "palm" a tip to the waiter/waitress - we hand it over on the plate or whatever we're using. Why is it necessary to "palm" a tip to someone, it sounds almost like your worried others might see, or that what you're doing is somehow underhand, or that you're entering into some sort of "secret" arrangement between you and the wait staff ?

I don't get it - what's the reason behind it ?

It could be for various reasons. If there is pooling of tips among all servers and you are trying to insure that one individual gets all of that tip then you'd do it discreetly (Palm). Or if the establishment generally bans or discourages tips you'd do it discretely as well. On a cruise when I tip a bartender or server extra I tend to do it discreetly. That's why when I go on a cruise, I take extra 1s and 5s just for tipping.

it may well be that some posters are simply 'generous' .

However most of the staff I have spoken to have great concerns that 'tippers' expect something in return . Indeed I witnessed one tipper berating a barman for not serving him before me. Idiot even called the Bar Manager over [emoji33]. Didnt seem too chuffed when told that the staff are instructed to serve guests in turn.

When a bar tender/other staff know our preferences by the next night & takes great care of us, we'll tip extra. I'm in the food industry & it's how we treat our staff & the staff when we go on holiday. I've seen some amazingly rude pax mistreat the staff & I have no problem telling them to knock it off,to the point of recording video & taking it to guest relations when necessary.

On my last cruise I had a favorite Head bartender at the sunset bar. I palmed him a tip a few days in for his friendly and efficient service. He made my vaca much more enjoyable. When I walked up he knew what I wanted without questioning but he always served people in order of walk up. If it was a tie, I won. :D I palmed him a second $10 towards the end of the 14 day cruise. I didn't have to. I wanted to.

He said they get to keep whatever tip is handed to them so it doesn't get pooled.

On my last cruise I had a favorite Head bartender at the sunset bar. I palmed him a tip a few days in for his friendly and efficient service. He made my vaca much more enjoyable. When I walked up he knew what I wanted without questioning but he always served people in order of walk up. If it was a tie, I won. :D I palmed him a second $10 towards the end of the 14 day cruise. I didn't have to. I wanted to.

He said they get to keep whatever tip is handed to them so it doesn't get pooled.

You're a good man, Chuck! Those of us in this industry appreciate what people like you do for us.

From what I understand in chatting with some bar staff folks :

If you tip extra on the receipt, it goes in to the 18% tip fund

however

If you tip them in cash - it goes in to their pocket.

Although it's supposed to be turned in to the tip fund. It's probably like waiting tables here in the states - some is declared and put in the fund, and some stays with the server or bartender.

DH and I tip with each drink service. And yes, usually after one day, the first server in each area that receives their extra tip greets us wholeheartedly!

Agree tip a dollar cash every round except if I had to wait a long time. Never have an empty drink

pretty much what we do too....:).....the overall cost of the cruise is usually 1000's of dollars, especially the longer ones.....have no problem bringing an extra $100 in ones/fives and handing it out to whom we want.... the staff works for tips, I'm in the hospitality business myself so know that a few extra $$ is always nice.....

Edited by Gracie115

On our last cruise we had the drinks package, and I don't believe that I ever had to sign for any drinks. I think all they did was swipe our room card. So this is my question-do you take extra cash with you and just tip discreetly at the bar? I would like to do a little something extra when a bartender does a great job for me.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes on the chit, sometimes not.

Sometimes the first day before sail away, sometimes the final evening.

Sometimes not another cent, others a good amount of green backs.

Your choice as you grade your level of service.

This is interesting, and I'll chime in that we both tip extra in cash as we go along, but not routinely and not for every drink service. I had a bartender in the Martini Bar make me a special off-menu martini once, one that I told him I made at home. He made it, then made me another off-menu drink that he thought I'd like. (I loved it). Every night he made me something different and of course I have him some extra.

However, and I've written it here a number of times, one of the best things we can do as passengers is fill out that card they put in the cabins early in the cruise. It used to be called the Attention to Detail card but I believe it may be called something else.

It's best done after a few days in, and on the last afternoon/evening. I fill it in with lots of small handwriting, filling it in front and back with specific details and names of people who have gone out of their way. I've even mentioned by name certain cabin stewards that aren't even our stewards but whom we pass in the hall multi times a day and who always greet us with a smile. Is this an important gesture? You bet. Last cruise after I filled it out the first time the sommelier in Luminae came to me with a big smile and said that she had been given an extra shift off, just from my comments. It also will go in her file for future promotions. The Martini Bar guy - same thing. Told me he got a long phone call home. They get these things immediately. And my compliments go into their file.

Yes a cash tip is good but don't stop there. It's a great thing to fill out those cards.

We sailed on Constellation in February.hung out at Martini bar and a couple others. Martini bar was our favorite. We know there is 18% tip but always tip above that. I agree with other posters.these guys work hard. Not for every drink but 2 to 3 times like every other day we drop a $20 in the metal can.we kinda do it right away and you are right.they will remember what you drink and your name real quick.plus extra perks I can't divulge. Our society rewards good service...

They don't forget you. As far as the one previous poster saying he is entitled to same service as others who tip? You may be entitled to it but may not get it.

Wow if a $20 here or there makes or breaks a cruise I'm guessing you shouldn't be going....my thoughts are Ive never seen a hearse pulling a UHaul!

I ain't taking it with me...happy sailing..

ClaudiaB, thank you for sharing that, I will be sure to look for the comment cards. Lets all agree that tipping is a personal decision - thank you to those that provided answers to my question. Now, for some real fun, I think I'll watch the convention.

ClaudiaB, thank you for sharing that, I will be sure to look for the comment cards. Lets all agree that tipping is a personal decision - thank you to those that provided answers to my question. Now, for some real fun, I think I'll watch the convention.

Even better than the cards a note to the head of department or head of hotel.

We just provide an extra amount at the end of the cruise if they have gone above and beyond and provided excellent service.:D