Oosterdam buffet alternatives

believer33323

Hi,

I have never been on this ship and first time with Holland America. We usually try to find an alternative to the cattle drive to the buffet when first boarding. What other (Hidden) places are there to eat when you first board, if any??

Your choices are limited on embarkation day. Depending on the time you board, the main dining room may be open (mariner's luncheon from noon to one thirty or so, but we've not always found it happening). The hamburger station on the pool deck will be open, but the tables around the pool tend to be very busy. The lido, as you mention, is open, and may not be as busy as you fear, as a lot depends on when staterooms are available, and when you board. Pizza station at rear of Lido, and you can go out on back deck where it's typically not so busy. No hidden places that I am aware of. Pinnacle is not available for lunch on first day, Canalleto not open for lunch, and this ship has no Tamarind.

Another choice we've done is to not arrive at the ship until AFTER a leisurely lunch on shore! Walked right through everything with no waits (about 1:30)...had a lovely lunch in Ft. Lauderdale, so no worries.

Another choice we've done is to not arrive at the ship until AFTER a leisurely lunch on shore! Walked right through everything with no waits (about 1:30)...had a lovely lunch in Ft. Lauderdale, so no worries.

We have decided to do the same for our next cruise or so. We drive to the port so we have considerable discretion on when we arrive. We're thinking between 12:30 and 13:30. How are the crowds then?

Hi,

I have never been on this ship and first time with Holland America. We usually try to find an alternative to the cattle drive to the buffet when first boarding. What other (Hidden) places are there to eat when you first board, if any??

I believe room service is available. The Dive-in Burger bar by the Mid-ship pool is open. The Mexican buffet (great stuff) adjacent to the Dive-in is usually open as well.

We have decided to do the same for our next cruise or so. We drive to the port so we have considerable discretion on when we arrive. We're thinking between 12:30 and 13:30. How are the crowds then?

From our experience after 1 pm it is smooth sailing under normal circumstances.

If you board very early in the embarkation process, drop your luggage in your stateroom, and go to the Lido Market, there should be no waiting. The Lido Market has a number of stations for lunch (Asian, entree, Italian, salads, appetizers, and desserts) so just pop into the one that appeals to you. There are tables on the aft Lido deck that are usually available.

The Explorations Cafe behind the Crow's Nest on Deck 10 has complimentary (don't have to buy a beverage) sandwiches and huge chocolate chip cookies as an alternative to the Lido Market buffet.

You can also take your food back to your stateroom for consumption (don't forget to pick up utensils). If you have a verandah, it is a good way to start enjoying your cruise with lunch overlooking all of the port activities.

If you board very early in the embarkation process, drop your luggage in your stateroom, and go to the Lido Market, there should be no waiting. The Lido Market has a number of stations for lunch (Asian, entree, Italian, salads, appetizers, and desserts) so just pop into the one that appeals to you. There are tables on the aft Lido deck that are usually available.

The Explorations Cafe behind the Crow's Nest on Deck 10 has complimentary (don't have to buy a beverage) sandwiches and huge chocolate chip cookies as an alternative to the Lido Market buffet.

You can also take your food back to your stateroom for consumption (don't forget to pick up utensils). If you have a verandah, it is a good way to start enjoying your cruise with lunch overlooking all of the port activities.

A Caution: If they are not still washing down the balconies, but then they will still be wet. It still might be a possibility.

Careful at the Taco Bar Buffet....I have seen people put items back and children sticking their fingers in sauces etc. This scares me as viruses can pass quickly from person to person.

It pays to watch I guess, but in dozens of trips to the taco bar, I've seen no such issues. Like any buffet, I guess there's always a chance. After 90 days on HAL, I've never had a problem. Maybe I have an immunity built up from eating what's in front of me! :)

I will just add that having the rooms ready on embarkation is a huge advantage. I've been on many ships where the Lido was jammed with people not eating but just hanging out with their bags while waiting for the cabins to be ready. Not having those people in the Lido makes a BIG difference (although on HAL I usually have my first lunch in the MDR).

Roy

I will just add that having the rooms ready on embarkation is a huge advantage. I've been on many ships where the Lido was jammed with people not eating but just hanging out with their bags while waiting for the cabins to be ready. Not having those people in the Lido makes a BIG difference (although on HAL I usually have my first lunch in the MDR).

Roy

I agree! But, on our last 4 cruises, the cabins haven't been ready upon boarding (11:30 am). This is unfortunate because this "Stateroom Direct" is a super program that does make a huge difference to boarding day.

I hope HAL keeps going with this program!

Edited by SilvertoGold