Current Captains

lakemurraykid

2 hours ago, Himself said:

YO Copper 20/8

John who are the two Captains assigned to the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Fiddlesticks--Is he a good guy?

He's a good guy, Father - Had the Maasdam for about eight years before moving to Noordam

Nieuw Amsterdam's two captains at the moment are Captains Edward van Zaane and Jeroen van Donselaar

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

He's a good guy, Father - Had the Maasdam for about eight years before moving to Noordam

Nieuw Amsterdam's two captains at the moment are Captains Edward van Zaane and Jeroen van Donselaar

You never see Captain Edward van Zanne.  No Captain; welcome toast and no "Ask the Captain" on the last day.  He must be very shy.   When does the "Pride of County Cork", Captain Neil O' Driscoll go back on the Nieuw Statendam?

1 hour ago, Himself said:

You never see Captain Edward van Zanne.  No Captain; welcome toast and no "Ask the Captain" on the last day.  He must be very shy.   When does the "Pride of County Cork", Captain Neil O' Driscoll go back on the Nieuw Statendam?

Going by present rotations, it seems that it will be mid-December before the boyo is back.

Some are more visible and outgoing than others

Scheduled for 15 Dec

59 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some are more visible and outgoing than others

So HAL doesn't mandate anything in particular such as the Captain's Reception, Ask the Captain, Awards Reception, but it is up to the individual Captain to do or not?

17 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

So HAL doesn't mandate anything in particular such as the Captain's Reception, Ask the Captain, Awards Reception, but it is up to the individual Captain to do or not?

As far as I know, the Captain's welcome aboard toast is on every ship in the main show lounge prior to the first show on gala night. As is the Mariners reception and brunch (being done on every ship). The captain is present at both events so he doesn't have much of a choice whether to attend or not :classic_cool: 

There used to be suite get togethers on the first night in the Neptune Lounge, cocktail parties in one of the meeting rooms and/or the Crow's Nest, and VIP lunches in either the Crow's Nest or PG, all of which were attended by the captain and other ship staff. Those seem to have gone by the wayside and/or are not being done on a regular basis anymore. The "Ask the Captain" in the main show lounge and/or the "coffee chat" with the CD in the Explorers Lounge are up to the individual captains and/or cruise directors. 

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

As far as I know, the Captain's welcome aboard toast is on every ship in the main show lounge prior to the first show on gala night. As is the Mariners reception and brunch (being done on every ship). The captain is present at both events so he doesn't have much of a choice whether to attend or not :classic_cool: 

There used to be suite get togethers on the first night in the Neptune Lounge, cocktail parties in one of the meeting rooms and/or the Crow's Nest, and VIP lunches in either the Crow's Nest or PG, all of which were attended by the captain and other ship staff. Those seem to have gone by the wayside and/or are not being done on a regular basis anymore. The "Ask the Captain" in the main show lounge and/or the "coffee chat" with the CD in the Explorers Lounge are up to the individual captains and/or cruise directors. 

Thank you very much.  Interesting.  Our last two Mariner Awards Receptions were held in the MDR before the "hordes" were let in for the Brunch.  Very nice: 4, 5 stars and awardees. Wine, Champagne, reserved tables.  Classy!

• Like 1

Some masters are shy & don't enjoy mixing with passengers.

I know a lot of them hate it when ignorant passengers come up to them & say - Captain who is driving the boat.

The new female master in Celebrity has a note on her badge - see attached,

Do not call it a Boat.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

And then there was now retired HAL (Norwegian) Captain Hale Thon Gundersen with his semi-frequent P/A announcement "Hello, it's me again"

HAL Captain Hale Thon Gundersen (Retired 05 JAN 13).jpg

A really great Captain.  Always friendly and seen around the ship.  He is missed.  Hope he is enjoying his retirement.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Yes, Mark Pells is still an HD with HAL, currently also on Noordam

Wondering if he will be on the Noordam when we will be in November.  He was on the Zuiderdam in 2008 and was so kind and generous to the Cruise Critic members and the Meet and Greet and even held a luncheon for us.  It was a memorable voyage made even more memorable due to his actions.

2 hours ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

Wondering if he will be on the Noordam when we will be in November.  He was on the Zuiderdam in 2008 and was so kind and generous to the Cruise Critic members and the Meet and Greet and even held a luncheon for us.  It was a memorable voyage made even more memorable due to his actions.

Mark Pells is scheduled to be Noordie's HD until 13 Nov, then Ruben Kooiman, another good one, will take over

6 minutes ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

Thanks again for the information.  Is that unusual for the transfer of power to happen in the first part of cruise?

Somewhat - Most change overs take place on a "turnaround day" like Sydney, NSW. At times, you might see one like this one at a port during that particular itinerary. Could also have to do with the "replacement" attending a training course (and/or management meeting) somewhere, will not be able to join the ship until the completion of that particular course, and is then flying to Hobart, Tassie in order to join the ship

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:36 AM, Copper10-8 said:

Capt. Noel O'Driscoll for nine more days

Capt. Sybe de Boer until 07 July

Capt. Noel O'Driscoll until 27 Sep

Capt. Sybe de Boer until 15 Dec

Captain Albert's blog suggests that Capt. O'Driscoll will stick around until October. Not sure how accurate it is. 

34 minutes ago, stickey_mouse said:

Captain Albert's blog suggests that Capt. O'Driscoll will stick around until October. Not sure how accurate it is. 

I would say his data is very accurate! :classic_wink: Schedules can always change for various reasons

Copper I did not read through all of these on this thread, but I am getting closer to my 8/4 Oosterdam cruise where I may need the captain to stop at McDonalds for me if I can't find anything to eat...Did you find out yet who it is that I will have to schmooze to get a stop at Mickey D's?  You sure do keep me informed on here, thank you!!!

1 hour ago, beaming90 said:

Copper I did not read through all of these on this thread, but I am getting closer to my 8/4 Oosterdam cruise where I may need the captain to stop at McDonalds for me if I can't find anything to eat...Did you find out yet who it is that I will have to schmooze to get a stop at Mickey D's?  You sure do keep me informed on here, thank you!!!

Oostie's captain will be Robert Jan Kan and her HD Amri Lanang Rachmat, which is a new name, and oh, there are Mickie D's in Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka if you feel the urge for a "Stroopwafel" McFlurry :classic_wink: