Magic To Do

Jimmy Geegitz

Or could watch Motor City for the umpteenth time! :p

That's the only one I will go see now. I should try to figure out how many times I've seen it. Recently I decided I had had enough of British Invasion. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't be disappointed because Magic To Do was not so good and they already removed some portions of it because of complaints. I saw it twice, the first time it was disgusting with bloody scenes, the second time I saw it they removed the blood and gore. It was very disjointed and the actor was stiff and un-engaging, the magic wasn't really magic.

Of course everyone will want to go and make up their own mind, I just wanted to let you know it wasn't all it's been hyped to be. There are threads about it if you so a search.

We agree, we saw it on the Ruby last April (Hawaii cruise) & did not like it. Maybe it was too hyped up & we were expecting it to be better.

Grace

We agree, we saw it on the Ruby last April (Hawaii cruise) & did not like it. Maybe it was too hyped up & we were expecting it to be better.

Grace

Did you find yourself not knowing most of the obscure songs? I only like the THE COLORS OF THE WIND song and performance, the rest was nothing.

As I stated before, everyone should go and see it to make up their own minds. This thread clearly shows it's not a hit, some like it some don't. I would like to see another show of Swartz with more popular broadway show tunes.

Unlike most of the musicals which I have gone to several times since we cruise often, I will pass on Magic to Do on my next 3 cruises. At least musicals are enjoyable, after all don't we listen to the same songs often at home.

The best show I've ever seen on a cruise ship was an aerial show on RCL. It was kinda fashioned after a cirque but still unique and different.

Did you find yourself not knowing most of the obscure songs? I only like the THE COLORS OF THE WIND song and performance, the rest was nothing.

As I stated before, everyone should go and see it to make up their own minds. This thread clearly shows it's not a hit, some like it some don't. I would like to see another show of Swartz with more popular broadway show tunes.

Unlike most of the musicals which I have gone to several times since we cruise often, I will pass on Magic to Do on my next 3 cruises. At least musicals are enjoyable, after all don't we listen to the same songs often at home.

The best show I've ever seen on a cruise ship was an aerial show on RCL. It was kinda fashioned after a cirque but still unique and different.

Thank you for the words of wisdom on this topic. Let's hope that future shows do not have bloody scenes that need to be deleted later. My thought is: how is a show that originally had bloody scenes not also dark and creepie? I will pass on any shows that are built upon bloody scenes. Again I say: Ugh.

Scratching my head, but do not remember any bloody scenes. So possibly they had been removed when we saw the show.

Frank---we also enjoyed Fiera and Bravo. Need more shows like these. We are approaching our 80th Princess cruise, so have seen them all many times. So really enjoy a new show.

Some folks just can't seem to get enough of the same old shows year after year after year. I get enthusiastic when we board & I see anything with a new name on it but get a big letdown when it usually turns out to be another dance routine with the same old tunes.

At least the Magic To Do show offered something new but some people just can't leave well enough alone & accept it for what it is. It's a shame that Princess will bend over backwards to change it for a few people.

I don't bother going to the shows anymore as they all seem the same. I'm not going to try and fight for seats, get stuck next to a bunch of rude people etc. And yes, I'd much rather watch Love Boat reruns on TV.

Scratching my head, but do not remember any bloody scenes. So possibly they had been removed when we saw the show.

Frank---we also enjoyed Fiera and Bravo. Need more shows like these. We are approaching our 80th Princess cruise, so have seen them all many times. So really enjoy a new show.

It was shown on a screen with the action happening behind it that created a shadow affect of the action. Once someone posted the word describing this type of a display & I had to look up the definition but I've now forgotten the word. ;)

The scene still exists however it's now minus the simulated blood spatter.

That's great that you & Jim are still enjoying cruising! :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wow some say it good and some say bad I guess you have to decide for yourself.:confused:

Tony

I just want a chance to see it and judge for myself. I haven't cruised nearly as much as a lot of people here and I'm already tired of the same shows.

Note: I've never had to "fight for a seat" and I've never (yet) been seated next to rude people.

I don't bother going to the shows anymore as they all seem the same. I'm not going to try and fight for seats, get stuck next to a bunch of rude people etc. And yes, I'd much rather watch Love Boat reruns on TV.

Yea, we still go to the shows for the umpteen time for many of them. I'm not sure why we always go but it's something to do I guess.

I'm a movie person & usually get to the lounge at least 40 minutes before the show so I always have something to watch.

I suppose some people think it a waste of time to watch movies on the ship but everybody to their own thing.

We saw the very first showing of Magic To Do on the Emerald & both my wife & I don't recall any bloody scenes. Possibly they added them after the initial showing?

Yea, we still go to the shows for the umpteen time for many of them. I'm not sure why we always go but it's something to do I guess.

I'm a movie person & usually get to the lounge at least 40 minutes before the show so I always have something to watch.

I suppose some people think it a waste of time to watch movies on the ship but everybody to their own thing.

We saw the very first showing of Magic To Do on the Emerald & both my wife & I don't recall any bloody scenes. Possibly they added them after the initial showing?

It was on the Crown in October when it debuted & apparently gone before it debuted on the Emerald.

Who doesn't repeatedly enjoy their favorite music & it's not much different with repeated shows. Growing up enjoying Motown I still enjoy it. We enjoy production shows & also movies and none of them are a waste of time for those who enjoy them...it's good to have options! :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Ah Ha. All this time I though it first was shown on the Emerald.

Debuting on the Crown in San Pedro made it easier for more HQ personnel to attend the show. Before the performance top level VIPs were invited to a cocktail party in Wheelhouse Bar; other VIPs had it in Club Fusion; the rest of us saw it after dinner without any free cocktails. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'll be on the Ruby in September and I'm planning on seeing the show at least once, if not twice, since I'm on B2B cruises.

I saved the program from the first time I saw Magic to Do in April 2016. I knew the majority of the songs. They are from popular Broadway shows such as Wicked, Pippin, Godspell, and Houdini.

I'm in my fifties, so maybe younger passengers might not know the songs.:confused: If you like musicals, you will know the songs.

Who doesn't repeatedly enjoy their favorite music & it's not much different with repeated shows. Growing up enjoying Motown I still enjoy it. We enjoy production shows & also movies and none of them are a waste of time for those who enjoy them...it's good to have options! :)

I agree! I adore the much maligned Motor City. Brings back great memories of growing up an hour from Detroit and listening to Motown on CKLW out of Detroit/Windsor on my first transistor radio.

I agree! I adore the much maligned Motor City. Brings back great memories of growing up an hour from Detroit and listening to Motown on CKLW out of Detroit/Windsor on my first transistor radio.

In the late 60s went to a concert in LA: Four Tops, Miracles and Stevie Wonder! :D

• 1 month later...
Not sure if it's been posted before but the Making of Magic To Do makes me want to see the show during my Oct. Cabo voyage.

Thanks for posting the link to the video. We'll be boarding Emerald Princess in Southampton 2 weeks from today and now I can't wait to see this show. I hope it's as good as the hype :)

Magic a Do Do was not a grand experience. But, as stated at least it was a change for the same old, same old. Agreed, disjointed, Bad magic. Yes, the songs are fine and a few of the images are interesting. (Umbrellas, shadow screen, fabric storm) Wish I had seen it with some blood involved.

It was standing room only at the beginning of the show - Everyone had a seat by the end of the show. (couple dozen plus walk-outs)

Edited by neverbeenhere

Magic a Do Do was not a grand experience. But, as stated at least it was a change for the same old, same old. Agreed, disjointed, Bad magic. Yes, the songs are fine and a few of the images are interesting. (Umbrellas, shadow screen, fabric storm) Wish I had seen it with some blood involved.

It was standing room only at the beginning of the show - Everyone had a seat by the end of the show. (couple dozen plus walk-outs)

We sometimes get to the shows from dinner after they've started just to see what it's about & return before the next performance. We hate standing in the back or sides of the theater.

The production quality of Magic To Do was pretty great. Still not sure on the story line...but it was definitely entertaining. The magician from the show, Michael Misko, does his own magic show on-board the Crown which was really fun.

I found the death scene weird but overall I liked the show. I wondered how long it would last because, to me, it had religious overtones. Personally I didn't care one way or the other but I was a little surprised.

My grandson (11) loves the theater and magic. It was a win/win for him. Afterwards, talking to the bartender in the Explorer's Lounge and he told us there would be a magic show with Michael. We asked if he had any tips to get noticed. Yes, he said. He always asks if anyone has a $100 bill.

So we are in the lounge, grandson is front and center sitting with his strawberry margarita and then he says, does anyone have a $100 bill. Grandson raises his hand. Michael is stunned. He says, "Really. He is 11 years old, sitting in front with a $100 bill and a drink in this hand". We talked to him after the show and he said he normally has an answer for everything but that one threw him off. He was so gracious with DGS. He talked to him for quite some time. Showed him how to improve on his magic trick and told him to keep in touch.

For my grandson - Michael was a shining star in an already fun trip. Something that he will never forget. He sat next to us at the Trivia show and my Michael loved the whole experience.

I found the death scene weird but overall I liked the show. I wondered how long it would last because, to me, it had religious overtones. Personally I didn't care one way or the other but I was a little surprised.

I don't actually recall that part of the show. Can you describe it a little more to jar my memory.