Carry On Luggage Only

Duffysmom

Mainly this is due to my flight plans which cover 3 legs and two different airlines. I really don't want to have to worry about losing luggage along the way.
The fear of losing bags is highly overblown. Read the actual statistics on delayed luggage and actual "lost" luggage.
One carry on is 22 inches and my personal item is another carry on type that is about 17 inches...gym bag size.

You are at the mercy of a gate agent that may think that your "gym bag" is far from "personal item". Carryon plus personal item does NOT mean "two carryons".

Good luck.

What is consider carry-on?

Carry- On size: 21"X 14" X 9"

Linear: 44"

Weight: 7 lbs.

Carry-on size fits in most airplane overhead binds.

I just call them very small luggage. I don't know how you can go on a 10 day cruise with one. I met two people on a cruise and they do it all the time???????

ps my wife just told me they take a backpack too :eek: :eek:

Tony

I just call them very small luggage. I don't know how you can go on a 10 day cruise with one. I met two people on a cruise and they do it all the time???????

Tony

IT Bags (wheels) weigh under 4lbs. But there is no expansion.

It can be done if you do not mind wearing the same clothes repeatedly, in different combinations.

The few times we've checked bags we carry on enough that we can get by if need be. Our checked luggage has our extras, including snorkel gear and suntan lotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How the heck does one get four bottles of wine in a carry on through TSA.

FlyerTalker - the nose knows who the carry on only river cruisers are by day seven or eight.

Buy the wine at the duty-free store and have the clerk put the bottles in to the designated TSA baggie. Works just fine for me. Brought back some good French wines and then some excellent Italian wines.

Of course, using a 22" most-us-airlines legal carryon as your suitcase does NOT mean one MUST carry it on. On some long haul flights, I will check my carryon just because I don't want to hassle with the overhead "scrum" or carry it around on multi-hour connections... But, I'll always try to do the 22"er... My personal item is a purse or small daypack, not another carryon...

• Thanks 1

So far we have been able to do carry on and small backpack. The backpack has all my Rx, toiletries, travel docs and everything I would carry in my purse. I also use bundle style packing it works really well. Our upcoming cruise in Dec. 2017 is 15 days so we shall see if I can get it done for that one as well.

Happy planning everyone

Buy the wine at the duty-free store and have the clerk put the bottles in to the designated TSA baggie. Works just fine for me. Brought back some good French wines and then some excellent Italian wines.

Of course, using a 22" most-us-airlines legal carryon as your suitcase does NOT mean one MUST carry it on. On some long haul flights, I will check my carryon just because I don't want to hassle with the overhead "scrum" or carry it around on multi-hour connections... But, I'll always try to do the 22"er... My personal item is a purse or small daypack, not another carryon...

Most people are not buying wine at a duty-free store. In my experience you need an international boarding pass to buy duty free.

Tony

How to go on a 10 day cruise in a carry on?

First, ditch the extra shoes. No need to carry more than three pair.

Second, you don't need 'formal wear'. Slacks, shirt, tie. That's all. Two formal nights? Two ties.

Third, prioritize. Important things go in the bag first, Then next most important. You run out of room, nothing else goes.

• Like 1

I find that I can wear an outfit 4,5,6 times without it getting dirty or sweaty. QUOTE]

Even when you are traveling in a hot weather climate? After about 3 wearings, Usually by that time, the piece of clothing feels, dirty. Unless you air it out, hang it up, use frebreeze, I would still feel awkward knowing I could smell.

Decided to try the carry-on only method last month on our cruise out of NYC not because we were flying but because we were traveling by LIRR (train) and taxi and I thought it it would just be easier than pulling a large suitcase. We each had a 20 inch roller and a 16 inch crossbody bag. I was not thrilled.

First of all I was stressed trying to figure what to pack for our 8 day cruise so it would fit into our bags. I like to be comfortable on my cruise and that to me means not being limited in my choices. (I just can never stick to the plan).:eek:

Second I did not find packing and repacking easier. I found it to be more of a chore. Folding carefully, rolling, fitting it in the suitcase only to find that I needed to reconfigure because everything would not fit. Than having to do the same thing at the end of the cruise. When I use our larger 26in. suitcase I hang everything on hangers, cover with dry cleaner bags and place in suitcase. When we arrive at our destination I simply take everything out of the case and hang in the closet. Easy peasy. Underwear, cosmetics, meds. etc are in ziplocks and go right into the drawer or on the shelf. 5 minutes to unpack.

Lastly, the other thing I didn't like, and I know I am in the minority, is NOT checking our bags with the porters at the terminal. Instead of being our usual hands free when boarding so we could go and do whatever we wanted right away our options were limited by the bags we were dragging. Good thing our cabin was ready when we boarded or it would have been a real pain! It doesn't bother me one bit if our bags aren't delivered to the cabin until a couple of hours later as we usually spend the first few hours eating, getting a drink and exploring the ship. And than there's disembarking. People trying to manage bags and bundles on there own. Cramming into elevators, blocking stairways and walkways, banging into people and tripping over other people and their bags. So much simpler to wait unencumbered and just grab our bags once we are in the terminal.

Anyway, that's just my experience. I will probably try the carry-on route again sometime in the future but for now I am sticking with my 26 inch suitcase.:D

Edited by luvs2beachit

I find that I can wear an outfit 4,5,6 times without it getting dirty or sweaty. QUOTE]

Even when you are traveling in a hot weather climate? After about 3 wearings, Usually by that time, the piece of clothing feels, dirty. Unless you air it out, hang it up, use frebreeze, I would still feel awkward knowing I could smell.

YIKES!! Sorry I appear to be a total smelly unkempt slob. LOL. I can definitely understand that it came across that way. We only travel in fall or early winter, and only to cool climates such as Europe, Canada, northern US. I rotate my clothing, and each item gets a thorough airing between wearings. I do give each item a sniff test, and I do check for anything appearing dirty. We are very clean travelers, and I'm actually considered OCD about cleanliness and order by my near and dear. This works for us, but carry on only certainly isn't for everyone. On our first international, trans Atlantic cruise, we each took 2 checked bags, a carry on, and a personal item. That was in 2006. Every subsequent trip has seen us packing less than the time before until now we're down to exactly what we need and can get by with. :)

Most people are not buying wine at a duty-free store. In my experience you need an international boarding pass to buy duty free.

Well, did not specify coming or going... I've done both. Advantages of traveling internationally, I guess.

Successful traveling in carry-on only is usually cultivated over several trips - trial & error - finding out what works and what does not. Taking 1 item and being able to dress it up or down depending on the need and having everything that mixes & matches.

Once you perfect it you will find how much easier it is!

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

My biggest problem is sunscreen, and now bug protection. Can't get by with 3 ounces, and often not available or very expensive on board.

If this is the only problem, just mail a package to yourself at your night-before hotel. Include ALL your liquids -- shampoo, sunscreen, etc. -- and it'll be waiting for you upon check-in.

If this is the only problem, just mail a package to yourself at your night-before hotel. Include ALL your liquids -- shampoo, sunscreen, etc. -- and it'll be waiting for you upon check-in.

Couldn't imagine doing this! Have you checked mailing/delivery prices! Even using the post office cram everything into a box one price would not be anywhere near cost effective, not to mention being assured of delivery. Probably cheaper to get a cab and go shopping.

The fear of losing bags is highly overblown. Read the actual statistics on delayed luggage and actual "lost" luggage.

You are at the mercy of a gate agent that may think that your "gym bag" is far from "personal item". Carryon plus personal item does NOT mean "two carryons".

Good luck.

Well maybe the statistics are skewed, but then I'm not basing it on statistics but personal experience. Twice I've had luggage be delayed. Neither time was it critical but then I had a lot of baggage since it was the entire family moving to Korea from Italy. My thought is more precautionary since I'm traveling through three airports all three major hubs and switching between domestic and international flights. And my personal item is the size of a gym bag or large purse not a full on carry on roll aboard. I'm aware of policies and will be well within them so don't get it twisted [emoji39][emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Love these discussions! We frequently cruise and usually drive to the port. Our next trip will be the first that includes a flight.

Because we have 4 little kids, we have to make sure that my hubby and I can carry 90% of the family luggage. Too much luggage adds incredible stress for us.

So, we limit our luggage and have laundry done on board. We're cruising B2B an will be traveling for 15 days this trip. We have 6 carry on's and 6 backpacks. All but the youngest can manage a carry on, and hubby and I can both carry two. In a pinch, we'll bring bungee cords to strap carry on's together, but I think we'll be fine.

Our kids don't own 15 outfits each, so we pack for about 4 days and then do laundry. (Have laundry done.)

So, we decide on the luggage we'll use, pack the kids stuff, pack the minimum needed for hubby and I and then decide if we take "this" or "that" for the rest of the space. So, my fancy dress with full petticoat stayed home because I'd rather have room to bring the kids fancy clothes than one dress for me. My extra tennis shoes stay home so I can bring extra swimsuits and cover ups.

Because of the flight, we decided to try working with 6 carry on's instead of the 4 checked bags we use when driving. Essentially the same packing space, but without the need to wait for bags.

I like knowing that I can lift and carry each of the bags. Though hubby usual does all the lifting, it feels good know I could help.

When we packed more I found that we only used half of what we were bringing. And, packing to leave the ship wasn't pleasant.

Kids each have their own backpack and that will be for their swimming masks, fins, school work, tablets, snacks, sweaters and any toys/blankets/ lovies that they need. If they have room they can pack extra (they won't have room!)

I'll miss my pretty dress, but I have less bulky dresses I'm bringing instead.

Limiting the liquids we take is the biggest change. But packing light will save us several hours and hundreds of dollars. It takes longer to plan and pack, but is much less stressful.

Until I can find a travel butler to handle packing and transporting our luggage, I'm stuck leaving the ginormous 30" suitcase with nice matching carry on satchel at home in the closet.

Jennifer

• Like 1

Jennifer, you have my total and complete admiration: your family is blessed to have a Mom like you.:) I will remember your note the next time I start to whine about my luggage being a problem.While reading your note the visual I had of the six of you trooping along in the airport with your carry ons and backpacks was priceless.

• Thanks 1

Wow thats a great suggestion I am going to that. :)

ThankYou, Tony

Our choice of carry on only has nothing to do with airline baggage issues or paying for bags.

It has everything to do with what we are comfortable with, and can physically handle on our own. Our cruises are typically bookp ended by a few weeks of independent land travel. There is no joy in slogging heavy bags along cobbled streets, on to trains, or in and out of rentals. Let alone the odd time when elevators are either broken or non existent. Necessity drove us to it.

Edited by iancal

Kids each have their own backpack and that will be for their swimming masks, fins, school work, ...................

Jennifer

For school work we copied the necessary pages, even the handouts and answers from the back of the book. Left the books and originals at home. Would have copied their school notes also. 50 pages in a notebook or folder is much easier to carry than multiple books. Kids also did some work beforehand, less to bring.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Our choice of carry on only has nothing to do with airline baggage issues or paying for bags.

It has everything to do with what we are comfortable with, and can physically handle on our own. Our cruises are typically bookp ended by a few weeks of independent land travel. There is no joy in slogging heavy bags along cobbled streets, on to trains, or in and out of rentals. Let alone the odd time when elevators are either broken or non existent. Necessity drove us to it.

+1

If I merely did car-porter-ship-porter-car (boring to me), I would probably bring out the footlocker my mom bought for me when I graduated high school (it is now a guest room night stand!) or buy a set of multiple 30" suitcases and bring the entire contents of my wardrobe so I'd have "choices". But, like you, I do more independent travel outside of just a ship. Definitely no joy in struggling with large bags on my own just to have "choices." I said in another thread that, when I can no longer lift my own bag into an overhead or walk any distance with it, I will find myself a personal porter to travel with me ;)