Well, the day has finally come when

uktog

There is something magical when you wake up on a cruise and see the sun just rising

image_zpsuka4c8sj.jpeg

We were approaching Palma de Mallorca and were sailing past it's magnificent cathedral just as breakfast was starting to be served.

image_zpsyckhll4u.jpeg

For us, we have been here many times. Palma is a delight that surprises many Brits who think of the neon signed nightlife as being all that Majorca as we call it has. Turn left leaving the port and that is indeed what you will find, plus of course the beaches.

We opted again for the turn right of the ships (free of course) shuttle that headed into town, dropping us opposite the base of the cathedral. For there, we find there is only one thing to do -wander, you cannot get lost!

image_zpsdfakefrw.jpeg

Quiet alleyways will bring you to gems like this shop.

image_zpspyvitkst.jpeg

If you have not been there before, a visit inside the magnificent cathedral is a must.

image_zpscarwtryv.jpeg

I would skip the palace museum, not great, there is more to see outside in the lovely streets and friendly people. There are lots of expensive pearl shops but also in the back streets inexpensive craft shops where lovely modern jewellery designs can be had for a great price - well that's what I told DH (ladies 20 euros for a necklace and earrings is good, I have had some from these shops for several years)

This confuses me as a first time Azamara cruiser. We have prebooked a number of excursions for an upcoming cruise with the understanding that we can cancel 24 hours prior to each excursion and get a refund to our ship board account credit card (not have to "sell them back".) Is your situation using your OBC once on board to book excursions and then trying to unbook them? Thanks.

Cynthia

Sorry if it was unclear in the first place. The excursion was on the first day after embarkation so the 24 hrs cancellation-refund didn't work for that particular day. Luckily someone else stepped in and bought our tickets. Land Discoveries Desk organized it well for us.

Sorry if it was unclear in the first place. The excursion was on the first day after embarkation so the 24 hrs cancellation-refund didn't work for that particular day. Luckily someone else stepped in and bought our tickets. Land Discoveries Desk organized it well for us.

Thank you for explaining. Now I get it :):)

......and so did my boss, I'm off abroad again in the morning but for work!

We were very happy with this cruise, it was not perfect but that is down to what I posted at the outset, we were very let down by land discoveries in terms of all the cancellations and then by an injury as a result of a careless operator. No permanent damage but the conspiracy theorists might subscribe to my cynical view this was all a plot to slow down my bubbles consumption as I had to use very strong painkillers that don't mix with either the grape or the grain.

With the exception of the Land Discoveries staff who did not seem empowered, everyone else onboard really went the extra mile to make things great. There was lots of local sourcing of food ashore - far more than I have seen before. Our own trips to local markets showed us the fantastic array of fish, fruit and veg and I think the chefs must have had great fun shopping. The cheeses brought onboard and served at the buffets were very memorable.

Bar service was punctual, our only issue was we had the upgraded package which meant DH was entitled to Peroni, several servers defaulted to the "we've run out" but detective work helped by the great bar server Pitoon revealed there were supplies on board.

We would have marked the entertainment down a little were it not for the outstanding tenor they brought onboard in Monte Carlo. Those of you cruising on Journey may see him again soon.

Am happy to answer any questions

Thanks to those who sailed with us and made the cruise fun

Oh one final thing, About Rose is no more replaced by an eco brand, main ingredients tea trea and aloe Vera, it's a European brand, I will post pics when I get to a stronger wifi but I did like it as a shower gel, conditioner and shampoo was still a bit meh but I've got "stroppy hair". DH said it was fine!

Ann, thanks so much for your always interesting and enjoyable review and the great pix.

I would love to see your tenor onboard next week, but maybe he's on the current three night mini cruise?

Sorry your bubbles consumption was restricted by your strong pain relief....I will do my very best to compensate for you next week!

So did the new pianist grow on you...or is the jury still out? Apart from the tenor who were your guest entertainers?

Good to know the Chef's are sourcing local foods...hope that continues next week too. Love cheese...but I'm not bringing the Branston this time.

I have "stroppy hair" too, so I will bring my own shampoo and conditioner. I was never that keen on About Rose anyway, so will happily try the new ones. I do wish Azamara would use L'Occitane toiletries...love them.

Hope the work goes well....with not too many rice dishes... Just think of that BOTB dinner if there are. :)

We had two nights of Bruce Parker - energetic as ever - a comedic violinist who was very good and a female magician.

The pianist for me the jury is still out I think she was dividing the guests either loved or hated

The orchestra are great as ever I did not think the singers were as good as the last cast - maybe I was too used to them

......and so did my boss, I'm off abroad again in the morning but for work!

We were very happy with this cruise, it was not perfect but that is down to what I posted at the outset, we were very let down by land discoveries in terms of all the cancellations and then by an injury as a result of a careless operator. No permanent damage but the conspiracy theorists might subscribe to my cynical view this was all a plot to slow down my bubbles consumption as I had to use very strong painkillers that don't mix with either the grape or the grain.

With the exception of the Land Discoveries staff who did not seem empowered, everyone else onboard really went the extra mile to make things great. There was lots of local sourcing of food ashore - far more than I have seen before. Our own trips to local markets showed us the fantastic array of fish, fruit and veg and I think the chefs must have had great fun shopping. The cheeses brought onboard and served at the buffets were very memorable.

Bar service was punctual, our only issue was we had the upgraded package which meant DH was entitled to Peroni, several servers defaulted to the "we've run out" but detective work helped by the great bar server Pitoon revealed there were supplies on board.

We would have marked the entertainment down a little were it not for the outstanding tenor they brought onboard in Monte Carlo. Those of you cruising on Journey may see him again soon.

Am happy to answer any questions

Thanks to those who sailed with us and made the cruise fun

Oh one final thing, About Rose is no more replaced by an eco brand, main ingredients tea trea and aloe Vera, it's a European brand, I will post pics when I get to a stronger wifi but I did like it as a shower gel, conditioner and shampoo was still a bit meh but I've got "stroppy hair". DH said it was fine!

Many thanks for the reports and the wonderful photos.

Just a few quick questions, if I may?

Who was the Executive Chef onboard? Fabio often shops at the markets ( we especially remember some wonderful Serrano ham that he bought from the market in Valencia) but I don't think he was scheduled to be on your cruise?

Did you manage to spend your Land Discoveries OBC? We have some for a 2017 cruise and would be disappointed if we weren't able to use it.

Is the change from About Rose a permanent one? We really liked the Elemis range that they had when we first cruised with Azamara.

And, yes, Pitoon is a wonderful bar server and I can believe that he would go that extra ( nautical) mile to help you.

Many thanks for the reports and the wonderful photos.

Just a few quick questions, if I may?

Who was the Executive Chef onboard? Fabio often shops at the markets ( we especially remember some wonderful Serrano ham that he bought from the market in Valencia) but I don't think he was scheduled to be on your cruise?

Did you manage to spend your Land Discoveries OBC? We have some for a 2017 cruise and would be disappointed if we weren't able to use it.

Is the change from About Rose a permanent one? We really liked the Elemis range that they had when we first cruised with Azamara.

And, yes, Pitoon is a wonderful bar server and I can believe that he would go that extra ( nautical) mile to help you.

The chef onboard is Monica - such a young talented lady.

We did use our credit it was not the trip we wanted, we had rejected it in our planning and our reasons then turned out to be very correct.

We were told the toiletries change was permanent. Yes we too preferred the Elemis range

The chef onboard is Monica - such a young talented lady.

We did use our credit it was not the trip we wanted, we had rejected it in our planning and our reasons then turned out to be very correct.

We were told the toiletries change was permanent. Yes we too preferred the Elemis range

Thank you.

The LD OBC does seem to be a bit of a problem. It is unfortunate if you have to use it for an excursion that you're not that enthusiastic about.

We hoped to use ours for a Nights & Cool Places excursion but now that clashes with the AzAmazing evening (though it didn't when we booked the cruise).

Edited by workingtocruise-59

I could not resist sharing some pics of the White Night yummies and fun

image_zpsebumtldg.jpeg

image_zpsoud1uxc2.jpeg

Salted crust halibut- it was delicious

image_zps7sufnjrk.jpeg

The local delicacies- the cheeses and hams were such a local memorable taste

image_zpszz36xthx.jpeg

Fresh fruit salad anyone, chopped to order

image_zpsfqogon8p.jpeg

Or are you a ribs person?

Anyway we all had to dance the excesses off!

image_zpsfxw0f1rp.jpeg

For those who have asked about Best of the Best.

We were lucky to be able to cruise this special trip in a Club Owners Suite. Guests in that level suite and Club Ocean suites are invited to a best of the best dinner served immaculately in the Drawing Room. Here the Executive Chef is given a free hand to create a menu of their choosing and Monica and her team created this outstanding feast all purchased fresh that morning in the local markets. As DH and I had different mains you have photos of both the venison (he loved it, due to his allergies his plate did not have the macadamia relish on it, so it's not quite complete). The monkfish was so delicate and was cooked to perfection.

Due to the six picture limit, no posting of the sorbet pic sorry, it was a real Spanish juicy peach taste!

image_zpsodb5lqpv.jpeg

image_zpsiu7j3agz.jpeg

image_zpsfi0wmymb.jpeg

image_zpsqagot5xn.jpeg

image_zpst1puvoml.jpeg

image_zpsx6zxe9uc.jpeg

This really was an outstanding meal worthy of any Michelin starred restaurant paired with beautiful wines. If you are wondering should I go for a larger suite, these pictures might encourage you to go for it!

Thanks for following along on our latest Journey on Journey. Hopefully this last set of pictures summarise what makes Azamara special to so many people.

There was one special event onboard we saw the end of - an Azamara wedding!

image_zpsujgfzu1l.jpeg

This young couple met at a Halloween party onboard four years ago and came back to be married onboard. They had no family with them but the Chief Engineers sweet little daughter loved helping with the veil as an honorary bridesmaid. They were married in The Drawing Room and joined us in The Living Room for their first waltz.

They said the crew made life so special for them, we agree, can you spot favourites here?

image_zpsa9uneaau.jpeg

image_zpsh8srfaqc.jpeg

image_zpse3vtyoou.jpeg

Thanks guys everyone of you!

Goodness that food looks delectable.

Sadly the White Night party had to be cancelled on our June cruise because it was an incredibly windy evening in Mykonos. Hopefully all will be well in September.

The presentation of the food for your Best of the Best dinner looks quite something. Hope you had a memorable evening.

Thanks for the review, just loving it and the great pics.:D

Great to "see" you here!!! We are currently booked to come "down under" in early '18...on the Solstice..."God willing...and the creek don't rise"!!! It is a B2B...Auckland to Perth and then Perth to Sydney...want to come along? LuAnn

For those who have asked about Best of the Best.

We were lucky to be able to cruise this special trip in a Club Owners Suite. Guests in that level suite and Club Ocean suites are invited to a best of the best dinner served immaculately in the Drawing Room. Here the Executive Chef is given a free hand to create a menu of their choosing and Monica and her team created this outstanding feast all purchased fresh that morning in the local markets. As DH and I had different mains you have photos of both the venison (he loved it, due to his allergies his plate did not have the macadamia relish on it, so it's not quite complete). The monkfish was so delicate and was cooked to perfection.

Due to the six picture limit, no posting of the sorbet pic sorry, it was a real Spanish juicy peach taste!

image_zpsodb5lqpv.jpeg

image_zpsiu7j3agz.jpeg

image_zpsfi0wmymb.jpeg

image_zpsqagot5xn.jpeg

image_zpst1puvoml.jpeg

image_zpsx6zxe9uc.jpeg

This really was an outstanding meal worthy of any Michelin starred restaurant paired with beautiful wines. If you are wondering should I go for a larger suite, these pictures might encourage you to go for it!

We too were fortunate to experience the BOB a few weeks ago, Monica presented us with a similarly excellent menu on both occasions(we were in an Ocean suite, followed by Owners suite) and had the same panacotta for dessert, it was almost too nice to eat. Monica is a truly talented Chef.

Thanks for following along on our latest Journey on Journey. Hopefully this last set of pictures summarise what makes Azamara special to so many people.

There was one special event onboard we saw the end of - an Azamara wedding!

image_zpsujgfzu1l.jpeg

This young couple met at a Halloween party onboard four years ago and came back to be married onboard. They had no family with them but the Chief Engineers sweet little daughter loved helping with the veil as an honorary bridesmaid. They were married in The Drawing Room and joined us in The Living Room for their first waltz.

They said the crew made life so special for them, we agree, can you spot favourites here?

image_zpsa9uneaau.jpeg

image_zpsh8srfaqc.jpeg

image_zpse3vtyoou.jpeg

Thanks guys everyone of you!

Thank you Ann for the lovely review and pictures.

These photos of the officers, staff and crew are moving for me...all such professionals.

Great to "see" you here!!! We are currently booked to come "down under" in early '18...on the Solstice..."God willing...and the creek don't rise"!!! It is a B2B...Auckland to Perth and then Perth to Sydney...want to come along? LuAnn

Sounds great, a circumnavigation of Australia is a great way to see some of the sites around without unpacking. I don't know if we can commit to that cruise as we now have a grandchild and Rosie may be doing childcare a couple days a week for Philippa.:D