wheelchair rentals in europe

tyler6597

Our family of 4 are taking a 15 day cruise on coming river cruises on 4-23-17. It's the legends and castles cruise. Were spending 2 days in Munich then a day and night in Salzburg before boarding the ship in passes. At the end of the cruise Were staying for a couple of days in Budapest. We are taking my 93 year old father and he can barely walk. He uses a electric power scooter while at home and on all cruises in north America. He also used a power scooter on a European cruise on celebrity. I talked to Viking and they told me that power scooters are not allowed. The only thing that is allowed on board is a manual folding wheel chair or a motorized wheel chair that folds up. Can anyone please tell me what companies in Europe supply these machines. We have always had a company supply one like in Munich then pick it up at the end of the cruise in Budapest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ask Viking for a recommendation? Did they say whether he would be able to use it on board or can he walk those distances?

I hope you can work it out and the entire family has a wonderful cruise.

Added: I found this recent thread about wheelchairs on Viking (and other lines) cruises: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2363983&

Edited by capriccio

Someone else came here about a month ago with a similar issue. After a review of the sometimes steep ramps on and off the ship, cobblestones, stairs (without ramps), etc. they made some changes in their plans.

I hope it all works out for you.

Here is one post

Edited by garycarla

Another changing issue with security:

Some cruise lines are requiring passengers to cross via connecting top-level sundecks, which typically are only accessible via a steep set of stairs. This could well reduce access on and off the ships for travelers with mobility issues.

Full article here

I hope you find a solution for your father who needs a wheelchair to river cruise.

another point about access generally in Europe for people with disabilities is a good 1 to be mindful about. we have found it does not seem to be mandatory probably because of cost to provide access for people with disabilities. ramps to enter buildings for example or to toilets. in many places the toilets are up or down steps especially in restaurants/cafes.

we are fit and healthy but it must be challenging for many. it can be difficult and we have observed this when people need/chose to move up/down the narrow steps on the outside of the river ships, to go to the top deck.

this can be required to attend the safety drill or in emergencies and of course in rafting situations.

good to see some gestures at safety/security on the ships. we all hope nothing terrible happens anywhere. meanwhile on land we will continue to see as we did in Rouen young military officers in groups of 3 armed with automatic weapons. sadly a sign of the times.

Someone else came here about a month ago with a similar issue. After a review of the sometimes steep ramps on and off the ship, cobblestones, stairs (without ramps), etc. they made some changes in their plans.

I hope it all works out for you.

Here is one post

On our river cruise, there was a wheelchair lift on the stairs to the sun deck (on one side of the boat. Maybe not all ships have that, but it's worth asking about, when booking a cruise, if you need one.

I am surprised Viking is allowing a passenger that is disabled to this extent. The multi level nature of the river boats and the very small cabins will make this very difficult. Never mind the process of getting on & off the ship when Rafted. Sorry having a real hard time seeing this working very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Look at this picture from http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7176

river-ports-ships.jpg

Notice how the decks on the double docked (rafted) boats in the foreground are NOT at the same height. Imagine you climbing the ladder (steep stairs on boats are called ladders, and for the stairs to the sundeck this name is appropriate) to the sundeck. Now imagine going over the narrow sloped ramp to the next sundeck. Now imagine coming down the ladder to the main deck exit area of the other boat. Now you still have to make it to shore. Look behind the double docked boats and you will see either 3 or 4 boats rafted. Finally imagine going up, over and down 3 or 4 boats if you are 93 and can barely walk.

It is possible that you will never be rafted, but with the ever increasing number of boats it happens more and more often. It is also possible that your Viking Longboat will raft with another Viking Longboat and there will be a relatively easy passage through the lobby of the adjoining boat. Note that on Viking Longboats the lounge (which can be a pleasant locale to sit if you don't get off the boat) is on the Upper deck, while the Main Dining Room is on the Middle deck. Longboats do have ONE elevator between these two decks (and only these two decks) so it is relatively easy to get between these two decks IF the elevator is working. In 2015 I was on a 10 day Seine River cruise (NOT Viking) where the elevator was out of service 8 of 10 days - outside technicians were working on the elevator every day, but it was only finally solved by bringing in a technician from Germany. IMO it is better to understand potential problems and be lucky enough to not encounter them, than to be blindsided by issues that you never considered.

Whatever you decide, I wish you happy travels.

Thom

This has disaster written all over it! Have you actually already booked? Due to your dads age I hope you have some kind of travel insurance.

Viking in the past has refused to allow any motorized chairs because their boats are not suitable for wheelchairs and there are no accessible cabins or facilities. Rafting is a fact of life on the river and completely up to port authorities and not Viking. At Rafted locations it is unlikely your Dad will be able to get off the boat. Climbing up and over and across as many as 3 boats plus the step stairs just to get up and down to top deck is just not workable.

I would think that what you are hoping for is about impossible on a Viking longboat, having done 2 this summer and watched people struggling to cope with relativity minor walking issues.

Another problem for them was the lack of accessibility when using the coaches for the included trips.

I would think that what you are hoping for is about impossible on a Viking longboat, having done 2 this summer and watched people struggling to cope with relativity minor walking issues.

Another problem for them was the lack of accessibility when using the coaches for the included trips.

But if they are willing to assist their father it is doable, but one needs to realize that father will need their assistance all over the ship and on excursions. As I understand it, father used a scooter for mobility and independence in a big ship and it worked well.

...As I understand it, father used a scooter for mobility and independence in a big ship and it worked well.
I'm having a hard time grasping your point. The large ship usually ties up directly to a dock, has bank of elevators that go to every floor and allows you to bring a scooter. The Viking Longboat will quite likely at some points of the voyage be double (or worse) docked, has one elevator that even if it works goes between only two decks and disallows bringing a scooter. The only thing that is similar for the ship and the boat is that both involve floating on water.

I'm having a hard time grasping your point. The large ship usually ties up directly to a dock, has bank of elevators that go to every floor and allows you to bring a scooter. The Viking Longboat will quite likely at some points of the voyage be double (or worse) docked, has one elevator that even if it works goes between only two decks and disallows bringing a scooter. The only thing that is similar for the ship and the boat is that both involve floating on water.

Sorry. The op seems to be hoping that the father can get around same as ocean liner. It's difficult to imagine a river cruise unless you've been on one. So they booked hoping it would be same situation on Viking.

On our AMA cruise there was a woman who used a wheelchair. Her daughter helped her and her teenage granddaughter was also helping. Somehow she managed to get off ship and onto the bus. I didn't watch. But could it be that in the case of pax with severe limitations they are allowed to simply walk through the ship?

I can only echo some of the other comments here.

A lot depends on exactly what 'can barely walk' actually means.

If it means absolutely no steps/stairs then I would seriously reconsider the plans for this cruise.

If he can manage stairs but only slowly then he will at least have full access to the sundeck and may manage to get ashore when not rafted in most locations, but probably not when rafted. Access to the coaches used for some locations may also be an issue.

It also means that even if stairs are a possibility with help that the family will need to begin the process of getting him ashore a lot earlier than the rest of the guests so he can move at his own pace without becoming a road-block for everyone else.

By the time you add in the cobbles and limited wheelchair access in the older historic towns and locations, even if he can get ashore and make use of a wheelchair it is not going to be an easy 'push' from there for those assisting him.

My Father-in-law is getting a lot less mobile as he approaches the 90's and while he still very much enjoys ocean cruising, he would never even consider a river cruise as he would be confined to the ship a lot of the time by the natural hazards of disembarking across multiple ships.

We took our first river cruise in June after numerous ocean cruises. Although we were on Scenic I can't imagine the boats and experience we had on the Rhine ports would be much different. The boats have flights of stairs everywhere. Not long flights mind you, but half flights to get from cabin to dining room, dining room to lounge, etc. There was one small elevator. Our cabin was much narrower than any cabin we have had on an ocean cruise. The little walkway to exit the boat was also quite narrow. And cobblestones everywhere in ports!

I am concerned that this trip may be far more difficult than you expect it to be. Also, there are no medical facilities on a river boat, which would be a concern with a 93 year old.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Although the Viking Longships do have an elevator it´s just a small one. A scooter won´t fit in. There are no wheelchair accessible cabins on the boats either.

Being from Munich I did google but I only came up with local rentals - meaning you have to return the wheelchair in Munich. I doubt that there will be any local company renting out a wheelchair in Munich and pick it up in Budapest. My best bet for a wheelchair rental would be a specialized company like specialneedsatsea.com or carevactions.com. Contact them and ask whether they can organize a rental for you.

steamboats

The issue is important from a safety standpoint. In case of ship's emergency evacuating a handicapped person from these river boats could be near impossible. I have some health issues my self and use a transfer chair for distances. I considered river boating but soon realized it isn't conducive to folks like me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for your information.

OP returned and did not bother to clarify anything. Their privledge of course.

OP, I certainly hope your dad is not as impaired as you described in your post. And if you have already booked with Viking that they are fully aware of his limitations. I'm concerned about a possible situation where you may be denied boarding. Viking has been fairly consistent and adamant about their boats not being suitable for passengers with mobility issues.

Those of us commenting here are only attempting to warn you based on first hand knowledge the conditions you will encounter on any river boat and absolutely the Viking Longboat you will be sailing. The rafting issues, narrow hallways, multiple levels access by stairs and lack of anything considered accessible are very real.

I recently read a blog written by a river passenger who has toured Europe and 2 years ago did a river cruise on her motorized scooter. The Cruiseline was very welcoming and accommodating. I will see if I can't find a link so you can read it.

The company absolutely was not Viking but may have been AMA or Avalon. I'll find the link, her info was very informative and may help you.

Super information from article on Cruise Critic about accessible river cruising. And in my reading I just saw that Scenic seems to allow Motor Scooters on their boats. You may have better experience for your dad on a different cruise line, that is more disabled friendly.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1959&UTM_Source=Social&UTM_Medium=Facebook&UTM_Campaign=Cruise+Styles&UTM_Content=River&UTM_Term=A_Guide_to_Accessible_River_Cruises

This is the blog "Elizabeth's TravelScoot" and she was aboard the maiden voyage of the Avalon Illumination with her motorized Travel Scooter.

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2014/06/more-about-travelscoots-on-river-cruise.html?m=0

Edited by JVilleGal