Getting to Ship on Time

Hello, the day of departure our flight gets into San Juan at 4:00 pm and our Ship leaves at 8:30 p.m. After getting our luggage will we have enough time to grab a taxi at that time and get to the ship on time? I read it is only about 6-8 miles to ship from the airport. Should I consider doing a transfer with Royal to be sure we make it on time?

I would. In fact. I would not even risk such a short time frame. If at all possible always fly in the day before. How will you handle any delays, including baggage? Too risky for me. I would be looking to change flight time. Don't forget you have to on board usually around 2 hours prior to sailing.

I would also be looking for an earlier flight, preferably the day before. There is not much leeway for delay. The latest arrival time RC recommends is 6pm, so technically you are within the limit, but it's cutting it way to close for my stress level.

I agree. We will be arriving in San Juan a day ahead in January. You don't say where you are flying from or the time of year. If you have to change planes you are asking for trouble if there is even a little delay. Remember San Juan is on Atlantic Standard time year round when figuring things out. When we couldn't take off the day before we would still arrive late the night before. Stayed at a cheap, safe hotel. It was nice to wake up in the morning, have a causal breakfast and not feel rushed or anxious.

Sorry Lily, I have to agree with everyone else. Can we say "Delta?" This is way too close for comfort for me. We always fly the day before also. It is probably too late for you to change your plans and just want to wish you luck.

RCCL experts. If you do an RCCL transfer, does the ship have to wait for the last one?

Sorry Lily, I have to agree with everyone else. Can we say "Delta?" This is way too close for comfort for me. We always fly the day before also. It is probably too late for you to change your plans and just want to wish you luck.

RCCL experts. If you do an RCCL transfer, does the ship have to wait for the last one?

You must be onboard 90 minutes before sail away. The logistics will be the LAST transfer will be at approximately 6:30.

The only exception would be an air-to-sea flight with a large amount of passengers. That is generally the only time RCI will delay sail-a-way.

You must be onboard 90 minutes before sail away. The logistics will be the LAST transfer will be at approximately 6:30.

The only exception would be an air-to-sea flight with a large amount of passengers. That is generally the only time RCI will delay sail-a-way.

Thank you, I realize this. I guess I didn't make myself clear..sorry. What I mean is, for example..just like an excursion. The bus is stuck in traffic, the ship HAS to wait for you if booked through the cruise line. Does this apply if you have a RC transfer?

Thank you, I realize this. I guess I didn't make myself clear..sorry. What I mean is, for example..just like an excursion. The bus is stuck in traffic, the ship HAS to wait for you if booked through the cruise line. Does this apply if you have a RC transfer?

Ahhh, I see your point. I don't know!

I would guess a taxi would be stuck in the same traffic. It's just cutting it too close. :eek:

When were were on Disney one time, a couple (3 or 4) of the transfer buses were stuck in traffic and we waited for them. The captain made an announcement that there was an accident on the highway and we would leave after those passengers were on-board.

I would hope Royal would wait for anyone booking their transfers too.

I would book the RC transfer. Whether or not a delay would cause the ship to wait - I do not know. But at least you would be on a bus with others in your same situation.

I think there's a decent chance of the ship waiting a bit for a delayed bus. However, I don't think there's much chance of the ship waiting if the the plane was late and the people didn't make the bus.

Hello, the day of departure our flight gets into San Juan at 4:00 pm and our Ship leaves at 8:30 p.m. After getting our luggage will we have enough time to grab a taxi at that time and get to the ship on time? I read it is only about 6-8 miles to ship from the airport. Should I consider doing a transfer with Royal to be sure we make it on time?
I'm with the majority here: Not enough time. Remember that you must go through security, and it'll be crowded on a cruise-boarding day. And 6-8 miles with traffic isn't just any 6-8 miles. This isn't a risk worth taking.

I left from San Juan last Oct. Flew in morning of, first flight out of Philly non-stop. I knew there were several more flights after ours we could bounce to if needed.

While we were safely on the boat by early afternoon, we watched people still boarding while we were in the dining room eating dinner. I felt bad because it felt we had many hours more vacation than them.

If you absolutely can't change to an earlier flight, then I would definitely book their transportation as a little insurance plan.

Good luck

You will need to be onboard 90 minutes before sail away.

A cab will be cheaper and faster. I don't see any advantage to a RCI transfer.

You had better check with Royal Caribbean. Last time we sailed out of San Juan, we had to be on board by 4:30. Most ships are 90 minutes before sail away, but San Juan has such a late sail away, they close boarding earlier do they can do muster before the first seating at 5:30. Your current plan has you missing the ship. There is no room for error, delays, late baggage.

Sorry I am such a Debbie Downer but I want you to make the ship and have a wonderful time.

I agree with everybody.

plan a) try to change that flight

plan b) if you can't , find a friend on the flight that has booked air with RCI ( as they normally wait for them).

stick to them like glue, and I too would suggest you book the transfer with RCI. ( find out when they have that scheduled) as it will give you a good idea about your 4:30 landing.

good luck.

Devils advocate here. Let's say you land on time to make it to the ship. But, your bags don't make it? You have no time to shop for anything you might need. If you fly in the day before you have breathing room.

On our very first Disney cruise we were booked to fly in by the travel agent to Orlando the morning our cruise left. Any delay could have ruined it. We changed to a flight the night before getting into Orlando after midnight.

While sitting in the airport they shut down Chicago. If we would have stayed with the original flights we would have missed our cruise. We always fly in early.

Our first cruise out of San Juan is in Feb 17. We are flying in a day early.

Enjoy your Cruise!

JoeRum

As someone who missed a ship with a lot more leeway than that I agree with the others try and change your flight. I was leaving from FLL first port Nassau so myself and others flew

down on the first flight in the morning and managed to talk Air Canada into paying but it was incredibly stressful and would prefer not to do it again.

If everything goes according to schedule, you'll be fine. IF everything goes according to schedule. It is approximately 7 miles from the airport to the Pan American Pier. It will be a 20 minute cab ride. If your flight is delayed at all or if your luggage doesn't make it, you'll wish you had been on an earlier flight. Booking the RCI transfer will do you no good. They will not wait for a delayed flight. I strongly recommend trying to get an earlier flight.