Guarantee downgrade?

RobandJames

The Same thing happened to us. On Thursday Our TA advised us that Celebrity would be calling us about the problem.

We spoke to Celebrity yesterday and it was not the travel agency screwup. 35 veranda staterooms had bad water leaks

and they had to close the rooms off for repairs.

Look up the rollcall for Constellation Sept. 8, Greece and Adriatic for the full discussion. This does not happen ever. We booked 1 year ago and were on veranda guarantee the whole time. I'm very happy for the $2057 refund and $400 OBC. Don't

Blame your travel agent.

Are you saying you have received a refund, $400 OBC, and lower category cabin? If so, this is more in line with offers I have seen on OTHER cruise lines.

think of it as round 1 of negotiations.

go to your roll call and see what kind of deal they are offering others.

we were on a RCI -TA cruise a few years ago.

RCI was DESPERATE for balconies. so they contacted people that had booked early ( lower price) first.

It was interesting to see them up the deal with every round.

My friends finally gave up their balcony 5 days before the cruise and both ended up in an inside, but they sailed for free.

I say.......... tell them "no deal" and see what they come back with.

Edited by CGinMTL

think of it as round 1 of negotiations.

go to your roll call and see what kind of deal they are offering others.

we were on a RCI -TA cruise a few years ago.

RCI was DESPERATE for balconies. so they contacted people that had booked early ( lower price) first.

It was interesting to see them up the deal with every round.

My friends finally gave up their balcony 5 days before the cruise and both ended up in an inside, but they sailed for free.

I say.......... tell them "no deal" and see what they come back with.

Now THAT is a deal :) any TA worth their commission should fight for!

Edited by Reader0108598

Sorry, does not make sense, You would be happy if you booked a balcony but got an inside with a bit of OBC ? You know OBC costs the cruise line nothing, right?

Not the fault of the paying customer that the cruise line had a problem....make it right!

What "makes sense" is the basis of the problem... 35 balcony cabins pulled from this cruise. On a sold out cruise this is going to leave 35 couples scrambling. If there aren't 35 inside cabins left, some people are going to be left out completely. It also makes sense the it's the "guarantee" passengers who will get downgraded.

I didn't post my opinion on the offer, just that they should consider the possibility that they might lose out and not get ANY cabin if they wait too long to accept. As for my opinion, FWIW, it is what it is. Meaning they aren't going to get a balcony cabin. That's done. There's no "making it right" now. So what are their options? Take an inside or don't go. $400 onboard credit and one of them sails free (cabin rate cut in half). It's not a bad start... I'd probably ask for tips included and a drink package, maybe one complementary specialty dining, too. But that's me. I'd rather go with my friends and not have to deal with the airlines and hotel rebooking hassle and fees.

What "makes sense" is the basis of the problem... 35 balcony cabins pulled from this cruise. On a sold out cruise this is going to leave 35 couples scrambling. If there aren't 35 inside cabins left, some people are going to be left out completely. It also makes sense the it's the "guarantee" passengers who will get downgraded.

I didn't post my opinion on the offer, just that they should consider the possibility that they might lose out and not get ANY cabin if they wait too long to accept. As for my opinion, FWIW, it is what it is. Meaning they aren't going to get a balcony cabin. That's done. There's no "making it right" now. So what are their options? Take an inside or don't go. $400 onboard credit and one of them sails free (cabin rate cut in half). It's not a bad start... I'd probably ask for tips included and a drink package, maybe one complementary specialty dining, too. But that's me. I'd rather go with my friends and not have to deal with the airlines and hotel rebooking hassle and fees.

We agree they should ask for more. Don't really care what the " basis of the problem" is for the cruise line ....make it right! The TA is rolling over and playing dead!

BTW: Why should the "guarantee" passengers be downgraded first? They paid their money for an agreed upon cabin cat!

Why not the people who booked the lowest cat? (Not that I think that is fair either)

Edited by Reader0108598

Since the cruise is sold out (I checked too), there is no available cabin to make this right. There are available perks.....money, Sp dining, free excursion etc. Don't back down, someone made a big mistake since you booked a year ago and they should sweeten the pot! How nice of you to think of exchanging your cabin with the newbie cruisers. I hope you get this resolved and that you all have a great cruise.

thanks everyone for your input. Our TA hasn't mentioned anything about a water leak.

We will have to wait til Monday when more senior people at Celebrity and our TA can have a conversation. meantime I am going to go back to our TA and say our only option is to swap rooms with our friends but they need to make a better offer first!

I do think it's the TA who messed up. I called Celebrity and they said it's never their policy to downgrade a guarantee so I think it's the TA. Sadly it's our friends first cruise so they really want the balcony. Maybe we will have to swap rooms with them!

What does your confirmation say? If you booked it over a year ago, if the TA made a mistake, it would show up on that.

The Celebrity website shows: Stateroom :

You booked #GTY Veranda Staterooms On Na. 2A

Our confirmation from our TA shows:

Cabin # Category Names DOB Citizenship

xxxx TBD Cat 2A

xxxx TBD Cat 2A

xxxx TBD Cat 2A

xxxx TBD Cat 2A

The TA didn't make a mistake on the booking - its always shown as a guarantee 2A Veranda suite

Edited by RobandJames

I just spoke with the TA and they are adamant that Celebrity contacted them yesterday to tell them there are no balcony Cabins left and the TA said all categories above are sold out. Not sure if I believe they but they are going to have to offer us more to downgrade.

I just checked and we made this booking on Aug 4th 2015!!!!

As others have mentioned, I too think this is a TA problem and here is why.

TA's book a block of cabins to get one free which brings down the cost which they pass on or pocket. It's business and I have no qualms with it.

From the outside looking in, it looks like they over sold their block and are trying to lay it off on the cruise line.

Ask if they would be willing to do a 3 way with Celebrity, if they decline, you know it was them not Celebrity.

I am sure that they are adamant that celebrity has no balcony cabins left. Why did they not secure a balcony cabin any balcony cabin for you when you booked with them?

Reader

Because they booked a guarantee! Celebrity assigns the cabins, not a TA.

TA's book a block of cabins to get one free which brings down the cost which they pass on or pocket. It's business and I have no qualms with it.

From the outside looking in, it looks like they over sold their block and are trying to lay it off on the cruise line.

Ask if they would be willing to do a 3 way with Celebrity, if they decline, you know it was them not Celebrity.

I see no indication that this was a group booking. Perhaps, it was, but we sure don't know that.

Celebrity sees it as a group booking so i guess the way the TA gets good prices is as a group booking.

Means we are trapped between a rock and a hard place: TA blames Celebrity and Celebrity won't deal with us, the customer, because we are part of a group booking!

Celebrity sees it as a group booking so i guess the way the TA gets good prices is as a group booking.

Means we are trapped between a rock and a hard place: TA blames Celebrity and Celebrity won't deal with us, the customer, because we are part of a group booking!

That is what I was afraid had happened. The TA owns the booking not the client. Which is the main reason so many on the board forgo the extra OBC and a slightly lower fare, and stay with Celebrity direct.

See if they can swap you and your friends so they get the balcony, and the wonderful full effect of it on their first cruise, if it comes to that.

Best of thoughts for a more preferred out come tho!

EW

RobandJames,

Sorry to hear about your issue and I am sure most people would be upset.

Sounds like Celebrity is offering you a 50% reduction in your fare and $400 OBC to downgrade to an Oceanview. It is possible that some people would be happy with that kind of offer, but it stinks to not really have a choice. Perhaps someone else in a balcony would jump on the offer, but how would you know?

I would ask the TA if you really have a choice and tell them what would make you happy especially since cancelling is not an option you would consider.

I checked and your cruise is listed as Sold Out which does leave much hope for a better cabin, but perhaps just a better deal? But you are in a tough position. Unless your TA can negotiate a better deal I would probably take the offer and make sure you TA knows and communicates your disappointment.

Good luck.

Robandjames, I read your roll call and see that a Celebrity has made this offer to several people on your cruise and they have various OV cabins from which to chose. Some people in CC and AC have accepted the offer.

Therefore I am changing my suggestion. If you are not happy with the offer I would just decline it. If you have a "deal" in mind that you'll accept then tell your TA otherwise let Clelebrity find someone else willing to take a deal.

Good luck. IMO it is looking better for you to be able to cruise in a balcony.

Best of luck.

Robandjames, I read your roll call and see that a Celebrity has made this offer to several people on your cruise and they have various OV cabins from which to chose. Some people in CC and AC have accepted the offer.

Therefore I am changing my suggestion. If you are not happy with the offer I would just decline it. If you have a "deal" in mind that you'll accept then tell your TA otherwise let Clelebrity find someone else willing to take a deal.

Good luck. IMO it is looking better for you to be able to cruise in a balcony.

Best of luck.

Thanks, I have emailed my TA to tell them that my friends aren't willing to take the offer so only option is to find a balcony. I suggested that we might be willing to swap with them but the offer needs to be better. Let's see what happens on Monday when my TA can talk with Celebrity!

As others have mentioned, I too think this is a TA problem and here is why.

I think you better research group bookings, through a travel agency, a little more. First, the travel agency reserves a certain number of cabins, not individual categories or cabins. They get a better commison, based on that number. I know that for a fact as I asked how they could offer deals in every single category, not knowing how many of each they might sell. Secondly, their conformation, on Celebrity letterhead shows balcony guarantees. I would like to think the original poster would have checked their reservation out, at least once, on line.

I agree the travel agency should take a more aggressive position in getting an acceptable resolution for his customers, but I have no doubt that a majority of the blame falls on Celebrity. I have a feeling they oversold the cruise, like the air lines do, to make up for last minute cancellations, and they guessed wrong.

Trust me, I have checked out with both Celebrity and the TA about our confirmation and know its a guarantee of a 2A or above so not sure what your point is?

Regardless of whose fault it is, we, the customer, are paying the price.

Right now, as far as I am concerned, both the TA and Celebrity are in breach of contract since I have a contract with Celebrity and the TA that clearly states we have paid for (many many months ago) a 2A Cabin or above, not below!!!

They won't deal with you because you booked with a TA, not because it is a group booking. Booking with a TA does not automatically mean it is a group booking. That is a whole separate type of booking and of the 40 or so we have done as group bookings, we have always had a cabin, not a guarantee, available to us. I agree with the poster above that thinks Celebrity has oversold the category, but the TA should be in there fighting hard for you. A TA cannot oversell a category.

Edited by ECCruise

Just wondering if you are dealing with Captain's Club or just any Celebrity cruise agent...I am sure this type of issue

happens more often then not. I would definitely go for the gold on this; however, whatever the outcome enjoy your friends and make memories...life goes on and these types of things only make us stronger[emoji844] I

have no doubt that you will find a way...please let all of us know the result..

Good Luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lastdance

They won't deal with you because you booked with a TA, not because it is a group booking. Booking with a TA does not automatically mean it is a group booking. That is a whole separate type of booking and of the 40 or so we have done as group bookings, we have always had a cabin, not a guarantee, available to us. I agree with the poster above that thinks Celebrity has oversold the category, but the TA should be in there fighting hard for you. A TA cannot oversell a category.

Totally agree with the above post. I usually book over a year out and I am assigned a cabin number. I never used a Travel Agency with an Guarantee cabin to be assigned that was booked a year in advance. Usually these Guarantee cabins become available after final payment. I am assuming the OP got a bit of a discount to book a Guarantee a year out. Thank - you all for giving me an education in this matter. Celebrity recently cancelled a TA cruise we had booked almost a year ago. We had to rearrange all our plans and Celebrity would not guarantee the same price we had paid for our cabin if we booked a future cruise in the same kind of cabin. OP, sorry this happened, your TA needs to fight for you for a better deal if possible. Usually Celebrity won't deal directly with you if your reservation is through a travel agent. Wishing you good luck & a fabulous cruise with your friends no matter what kind of rooms you are in :)

Just wondering if you are dealing with Captain's Club or just any Celebrity cruise agent...I am sure this type of issue

happens more often then not. I would definitely go for the gold on this; however, whatever the outcome enjoy your friends and make memories...life goes on and these types of things only make us stronger[emoji844] I

have no doubt that you will find a way...please let all of us know the result..

Good Luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As the OP has mentioned a number of times, they are dealing with a TA.

This is definitely a cruise line issue, not a TA issue. Don't punish the messenger who is just doing his/her job relaying the info. To verify this, all you have to do is call Celebrity directly, and ask why this happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That maybe, but the TA needs to step up and do what is best for their client ...not what is best for their bottom line or the cruiselines.