What cutbacks have you noticed since you started cruising?

Buck Turgidson

The quality of entertainment has gone down hill, in the last 10 years or so, with less and less live musicians, on the deck and in theaters. Can't say I miss the midnight buffet as we usually hit the rack long before midnight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a relative newbie compared to many of you. My first cruise with Princess was on the Crown in 2007. My most recent cruise with Princess was on the Regal. I find it is still an excellent experience overall. But I noticed a dramatic decline in the service and quality of food in the MDR. For example, we like specialty dining and do it quite a bit. I typically save one or both of the formal nights on a 7 night cruise for the MDR, because they would have the lobster tail and jumbo shrimp dish. Last time we did this there was no lobster dish and the menu was generally just awful. On top of the bad food choices our waiter neglected us quite a bit and even left out one of the courses that we were looking forward to. He was not apologetic either. I think these waiters have too many tables to look after nowadays. Getting a cocktail or glass of wine in the MDR takes forever, you might as well not even bother. I remember dining in the MDR on the Crown and feeling very special, service was top notch and the food was very good. So now we stick to the specialty dining mostly and get much better food and service there. We don't mind paying extra for this but I would like to enjoy a few nights in the MDR and have that special feeling, seeing as Princess has such a limited number of speciatly dining options (compared with NCL and Royal). Everything else seems pretty much as it was 9 years ago. And I'm still happy with Princess and able to adapt to the changes, but I miss a really great MDR experience.

What I notice is that the cost is far lower and we're getting a better experience with regard to offered entertainment, food options and itineraries.

I know most of these posts were all "I miss X"... sadly the posters miss forest for the trees. At no point in history was cruising better than it is now with the amount of lines and ports to visit.

If the Cruise lines said they had to make some cuts to maintain the great Dining Room

experience, that would be ok. Now, you just don't know what to expect. Also, cutting

back on Cabin Stewards isn't good either.

In retrospect, I think we were fortunate that our first two Princess cruises, and our fourth and fifth, and then a couple others early on were not that impressive. (Our two transpacific cruises and a 14 night Sea Princess cruise made up for them). We stuck with them for the itineraries, and, in many ways, it seems to me that Princess has improved quite a bit over the past few years, and that certainly helps to offset some of the cutbacks (some...).

I hate to see the stewards and waitstaff have to work flat out for so many hours a day. That's the most troubling thing to me and might eventually influence my willingness to continue to choose cruising as a vacation option. (I know that it is not slavery and they choose to do what they're doing but for some their other choices are extremely limited).

Beyond that, the cutbacks are minor but many and, to date, we have adjusted our expectations. The silly cutbacks really bother me the most...not enough towels, only one Princess shopping/beach bag and Elite amenity pouch regardless of how many back to back cruises we do (though our stewards sometimes help us out on the latter). The recent news about the limitation of drinks at the Caribbean Princess MTP party. Seriously? This is how they're going to meet EPS this quarter?

I wish the cruise lines would realize that this race to the bottom is not the way to secure their futures. I still maintain there is room for a cruise line offering a price point between the mainstream and Azamara/Oceania.

I'd like to answer a question you did NOT ask. What is the difference between your first cruise and now?

You see, our first was back in 1976, aboard a Sitmar ship of 25,000 tons, our most recent the Royal Princess, about 140,000 tons. The first had no balconies, the last many, many balconies. The first had no buffet, no anytime dining. The last has a choice of traditional or anytime, a massive buffet, pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers, international cafe, extra charge dining---I could go on.

On our first cruise, we ate at the same table, with the same tablemates, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Entertainment at the very small "nightclub" was mostly the cruise director who sang and otherwise entertained, many times involving the passengers.

You see, it was definitely a different world back then. I would say that the service was better back then, probably because there were so many fewer passengers that the crew got to know you better. And a little aside, since all meals were scheduled, your room steward knew exactly when to clean your room in the morning, and turn it down in the evening. So much easier than today's inexact scheduling.

Just my 2 cents. I loved cruising in 1976, and I still love it in 2016. It's the only way to travel.

Stan

I started cruising in 1976 or 77. I have seen lots of changes, some changes for the better.

My first 8 or so cruises were on Home Lines Oceanic. Here is one service which I am GLAD that it is not done any more. At night the cabin stewards would take out your nightgown /PJ's and place them on your bed in the shape of a body. No matter where you hid it they found it.

Back then you only got ice tea, hot tea or coffee at meals. You had to buy a cold drink. The only place to get water after your meals was the water pitcher in your cabin. I am very happy for all the included drinks during the day.

There was no buffet at all except at midnight. I like being able to find food when I want now.

One big change for me was going from fix meal times to what we have now. Buffet, any time dining, fix dining, pizza, and different food place all over the ship. Ice cream at the pool deck now.

Back on Home lines there was early and late seating. Early was breakfast at 6AM, lunch at 12 noon, dinner at 6PM. Late sitting was 8AM, 2PM and 8PM. That was it! I never made breakfast back then. So, I love the way it is now.

Also most side dishes of the meal was served to me by the waiter, from platters. I liked this because I could get as much veggies as I wanted. Of course the choices were less.

I miss the horse racing, I have not seen that in a while.

Just some of my thoughts on the past.

Edited by geocruiser

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this:

On embarkation being greeted by uniformed ship's personnel as you stepped off the gangway and being offered a complimentary glass of Champagne. OK, it may have been domestic sparkling wine.

:D

This has been mentioned, but I am going to state it differently: all hours (almost) buffet replacing the midnight buffet.

Again, this has been mentioned, but, since I like it, it's worth repeating. The expansion of dining options beyond the single dining room fixed hour/fixed seating paradigm.

The introduction of "specialty coffees." (Of course, the cruise lines just followed the fad in the 1980s.) The only thing that came close was being offered espresso with dessert after dinner. Other than that, coffee was poured at the table by your server out of a pot or carafe, and you were offered cream (not in a sealed plastic container and not a powder) and sugar.

Purser's desk being replaced by "Guest Services."

Men did not whine about having to dress for formal night--even in the Caribbean.

On embarkation being greeted by uniformed ship's personnel as you stepped off the gangway and being offered a complimentary glass of Champagne. OK, it may have been domestic sparkling wine.

This has been mentioned, but I am going to state it differently: all hours (almost) buffet replacing the midnight buffet.

Again, this has been mentioned, but, since I like it, it's worth repeating. The expansion of dining options beyond the single dining room fixed hour/fixed seating paradigm.

The introduction of "specialty coffees." (Of course, the cruise lines just followed the fad in the 1980s.) The only thing that came close was being offered espresso with dessert after dinner. Other than that, coffee was poured at the table by your server out of a pot or carafe, and you were offered cream (not in a sealed plastic container and not a powder) and sugar.

Men did not whine about having to dress for formal night--even in the Caribbean.

Do you remember not having a safe in your cabin and having to go to the Purser's deck to use a safe? Almost all tux's and gowns on formal nights too.

Edited by geocruiser

I'm not sure of your comment here. I have never been offered cream out of a sealed plastic container, nor a powder on any of my cruises.

I'm not sure of your comment here. I have never been offered cream out of a sealed plastic container, nor a powder on any of my cruises.

You know, Iceleven, that may be my bad. I, actually, drink my coffee black. So, what do I know? It seemed to me that I have seen the little sealed cups of creamer on tables. The more I think of it, though, the more I think I am wrong.

You know, Iceleven, that may be my bad. I, actually, drink my coffee black. So, what do I know? It seemed to me that I have seen the little sealed cups of creamer on tables. The more I think of it, though, the more I think I am wrong.

In the HC on tables and for room service its usually in a small white ceramic pitcher, in the DR its in a small silver pitcher.

I have not seen those plastic ones, not sure if they are by the self serve area?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

In 1990 I remember our first cruise on the old Crown Princess 10 day Southern Carribbean.

What I remember most was being handed a glass of Champaigne upon boarding and then being hearded into the main dining room for a white glove service. Very impressive start to a cruise!

In 1990 I remember our first cruise on the old Crown Princess 10 day Southern Carribbean.

What I remember most was being handed a glass of Champaigne upon boarding and then being hearded into the main dining room for a white glove service. Very impressive start to a cruise!

Yes!! I remember the same on the Regal in 92. :D

Celebrity still did that when I last cruised with them (2007). Perhaps that's gone now too.

People forget the innovations and only remember the past. Many of these items from the past I question if today's passenger, especially younger ( the future) would want. White glove, longer 14 day cruises (not many are going to take that much vacation in one shot) high tea. Etc. Having Specialty Restaurant opportunities, Broadway shows vs the lame production shows etc are pretty innovative. More physical type activities than the past, climbing walls, upgraded spas, and other physical activities and upgraded gyms from what was in the past. A more casual, yet still classy environment. Who wants to lug a tux anymore. And let's face it the more casual change started with the ladies and the black slacks/ sparkly tops passing as formal. It's not all bad, mostly igood, especially the today dollars cost of a cruise gets cheaper yearly

Our first cruises were on Sun Princess when she was new. A couple of things she had then that we don't see now are:

- late afternoon/early evening fresh fruit and snacks buffet on deck.

- forward facing Horizon Court where we could see where we are going

- on deck Steakhouse (an early trial version of the steakhouse concept, with a nice Caribbean outdoor atmosphere)

- a 7 day cruise with 2 semi-formal nights (suits for guys), 2 formal nights (tux), and 3 casual.

But most of all, there seemed to be live music everywhere, most of the day.

Our first cruises were on Sun Princess when she was new. A couple of things she had then that we don't see now are:

- late afternoon/early evening fresh fruit and snacks buffet on deck.

- forward facing Horizon Court where we could see where we are going

- on deck Steakhouse (an early trial version of the steakhouse concept, with a nice Caribbean outdoor atmosphere)

- a 7 day cruise with 2 semi-formal nights (suits for guys), 2 formal nights (tux), and 3 casual.

But most of all, there seemed to be live music everywhere, most of the day.

I also fell in love with cruising on the Sun Class ships - here are some differences, some are just different (not better or worse).

1. Laundry machines were free, you just had to buy detergent.

2. The Purser's Desk had a daily newspaper summary in US and British versions

3. Before computer sections, they had laptops you could check out for free. Platinum individuals had free unlimited internet. You had to stay in the atrium for wireless signal.

4. Specialized coffee (and brewed coffee) were free, same with hot chocolate

5. String quartet or harps were common music for the atrium (classy)

6. We did eat outside at the steakhouse on deck above the pools for $6 - it was amazing

7. Souffles almost every night (miss this!)

8. Marzipan seemed everywhere

9. Pasta course

10. Steel drum band on deck

11. Airlines picked up bags after the cruise for free and delivered boarding passes onto the ship (you dropped your flight info into a box when you checked in). This supposedly helped the rush at the airport so they did it free of charge.

12. I and everyone else seemed to have read the cruise documents inside and out before the cruise.

13. Airfare was printed in the brochures via gateway city and didn't seem to deviate in price

14. Lunch was served in the dining room every day

15. I do remember on a Carnival cruise previous to my Princess Sun Class ships that I did have an assigned dining room time for breakfast at my same dinner table with same waitstaff.

16. More outside food options (food outside on deck).

17. Getting all the cash together for the tips.

18. Entertainment seemed "better" - it wasn't just "turn on MUTS", shows were longer and more variety.

19. Getting cruise documents (and tags) and sending in our shore excursion choices via snail mail! More excursions seemed to include meals back then.

20. Disembarkment talks where someone from every cabin was encouraged/required to attend.

In retrospect, I think we were fortunate that our first two Princess cruises, and our fourth and fifth, and then a couple others early on were not that impressive. (Our two transpacific cruises and a 14 night Sea Princess cruise made up for them). We stuck with them for the itineraries, and, in many ways, it seems to me that Princess has improved quite a bit over the past few years, and that certainly helps to offset some of the cutbacks (some...).

I hate to see the stewards and waitstaff have to work flat out for so many hours a day. That's the most troubling thing to me and might eventually influence my willingness to continue to choose cruising as a vacation option. (I know that it is not slavery and they choose to do what they're doing but for some their other choices are extremely limited).

Beyond that, the cutbacks are minor but many and, to date, we have adjusted our expectations. The silly cutbacks really bother me the most...not enough towels, only one Princess shopping/beach bag and Elite amenity pouch regardless of how many back to back cruises we do (though our stewards sometimes help us out on the latter). The recent news about the limitation of drinks at the Caribbean Princess MTP party. Seriously? This is how they're going to meet EPS this quarter?

I wish the cruise lines would realize that this race to the bottom is not the way to secure their futures. I still maintain there is room for a cruise line offering a price point between the mainstream and Azamara/Oceania.

I have know idea who you are, but man I like your style,grace,class and honesty.

You have a unique way of suttleness,humour,and honesty that is fairly evident in your writing style.

You neither scave new-comers,with stupid questions,and don't leave people feeling cold by your answers.

An inspiration maybe.:):)