Official: Oosterdam has been re-deployed April-Nov. 2017

AtlantaCruiser72

Eurodam and Amsterdam are currently scheduled in Seattle next summer. If Oosterdam comes back I wonder which it will replace and where that ship will redeploy. I'm still wondering if they are getting ready for a ship to leave HAL sooner than originally expected.

Eurodam and Amsterdam are currently scheduled in Seattle next summer. If Oosterdam comes back I wonder which it will replace and where that ship will redeploy. I'm still wondering if they are getting ready for a ship to leave HAL sooner than originally expected.

Westerdam will be in Mediterranean next summer - 2017 [including a drydock in Italy] instead of their usual Alaska itinerary. That was arranged before this whole redeployment.

The ships scheduled for Alaska 2017 - according to the 2017-18 atlas are:

Amsterdam

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Noordam

Volendam

Zaandam

And now Oosterdam.

Maasdam who is in Alaska this year is going to New England - Canada itinerary for 2017

I found nothing that would work for our time frame and dates going to the same places that the Oosterdam went. We had to go RCCL that cost us another $1,000.00 In cruise fare and we had to pay $3600.00 more in air fare including the $450.00 per person change fee for 4 people. They have sent me a reimbursement form that says they will consider reimbursement for the fees incurred. I hope they can give us the full amount. I found when I called yesterday to rebook another Holland cruise I was told to pick one of the other 2 cruise itenarary offered. Neither one was going to the places that were offered on the Oosterdam. I am glad that someone there took the time to give you the option of the Koningsdam. I found it was not a good experience trying to re book. If we get the difference of $1800.00 in airfare and the $1800.00 in rebooking fee reimbursed I would be more willing to take another cruise with Holland America. If I have to pay any of the $3600.00 I will never use Holland America agin. I think if they want to send the Oosterdam to Alaska they should have done it in 2018 when no one has booked yet. It is a bad way to do business.

That is very upsetting for you, for sure. You are right, no ship picked up the same itinerary as Oosterdam. We were disappointed to miss Venice, but we're okay with what we received on Koningsdam. The agent did not give us the option of the 14 night Koningsdam, I TOLD her this is the cruise we want as a replacement and she said okay, and I'll do it for you at no extra charge! Cruise lines do re-deploy ships and it's never at a convenient time for everyone. It's just they way they do business.

So far, we are very happy with the way HAL handled our booking. I understand that other folks also did quite well rebooking.

It'll be early-to-mid 2018 when Maasdam and Veendam are gone, Pinnacle 2 won't be moved up so no reason to adjust (and they aren't getting any last-minute sales offers that'll blow out their schedule).

Westerdam will be in Mediterranean next summer - 2017 [including a drydock in Italy] instead of their usual Alaska itinerary. That was arranged before this whole redeployment.

The ships scheduled for Alaska 2017 - according to the 2017-18 atlas are:

Amsterdam

Eurodam

Nieuw Amsterdam

Noordam

Volendam

Zaandam

And now Oosterdam.

Maasdam who is in Alaska this year is going to New England - Canada itinerary for 2017

I realize Westerdam is heading across the pond- we are regulars on her. Someone in another thread said that HAL told them Oosterdam moving to be sailing out of Seattle next summer to Alaska. If you look at current schedules Eurodam is set to sail Saturday departures that hit Glacier Bay and Amsterdam is set for Sunday departures that hit Stevens Passage.

I'm wondering if they are going to replace Eurodam or Amsterdam in Seattle and where would that ship redeploy to. At one time they had a third ship every other Monday that did the 14 day run but showing that Amsterdam will do some 14 night runs thru the summer leaving Sunday.

I realize Westerdam is heading across the pond- we are regulars on her. Someone in another thread said that HAL told them Oosterdam moving to be sailing out of Seattle next summer to Alaska. If you look at current schedules Eurodam is set to sail Saturday departures that hit Glacier Bay and Amsterdam is set for Sunday departures that hit Stevens Passage.

I'm wondering if they are going to replace Eurodam or Amsterdam in Seattle and where would that ship redeploy to. At one time they had a third ship every other Monday that did the 14 day run but showing that Amsterdam will do some 14 night runs thru the summer leaving Sunday.

Maybe they won't need to replace a current ship, since the European market is faltering, maybe there is enough interest to add another ship in Alaska. Maybe add some more 14-day itineraries to go along with the ones on Amsterdam [i don't know anything about pier requirements and maximum ship sizes on some of these further ports - never having been there.]

Just something that I considered feasible and maybe HAL has too. Noordam is the only other Vista class ship that would make it an easy adjustment to the Oosterdam..

Edited by Happily@Sea

I am always hesitant to leave our short summer to cruise, but if most of the ships are in Alaska I guess we have nothing to worry about ;)

IF we are going to leave here in the summer/early spring/fall - we are off to the Baltics, the Med, Europe, South Pacific, etc. In other words, any place BUT Alaska ;). No offense to Alaska fans but for now, while we can do it, Europe, etc. Holds far more history and allure for us than Alaska, for the time being.

In July when we gave our TA a brief report on Westerdam Alaska cruise, she indicated HAL would have more cruises near the coasts of the United States in the near future. Her bookings for Europe have declined even this year. Looks like her info. was accurate.

I found nothing that would work for our time frame and dates going to the same places that the Oosterdam went. We had to go RCCL that cost us another $1,000.00 In cruise fare and we had to pay $3600.00 more in air fare including the $450.00 per person change fee for 4 people. They have sent me a reimbursement form that says they will consider reimbursement for the fees incurred. I hope they can give us the full amount. I found when I called yesterday to rebook another Holland cruise I was told to pick one of the other 2 cruise itenarary offered. Neither one was going to the places that were offered on the Oosterdam. I am glad that someone there took the time to give you the option of the Koningsdam. I found it was not a good experience trying to re book. If we get the difference of $1800.00 in airfare and the $1800.00 in rebooking fee reimbursed I would be more willing to take another cruise with Holland America. If I have to pay any of the $3600.00 I will never use Holland America agin. I think if they want to send the Oosterdam to Alaska they should have done it in 2018 when no one has booked yet. It is a bad way to do business.

How could you have lost $1800 in airfare for a cruise that was scheduled more than a year away? You can't even book air until 330 days out. Or was this not the Oosterdam fall 2017 TA cruise? But in any event, why would you have booked non-refundable air without taking out travel insurance? That, for me, would have been more of a risk that I would be comfortable taking.

How could you have lost $1800 in airfare for a cruise that was scheduled more than a year away? You can't even book air until 330 days out. Or was this not the Oosterdam fall 2017 TA cruise? But in any event, why would you have booked non-refundable air without taking out travel insurance? That, for me, would have been more of a risk that I would be comfortable taking.

most air fare is non refundable or, they allow a change with a huge fee.

Frankly, one does not expect a cruise to be cancelled and that is not something (air fare) I do travel insurance for early ;)

the poster's concern is a valid and legitimate one that many would face.

Obviously since the cruises are cancelled for nearly a 6 month period they don't need to be on the fall transatlantic.

Our air fare has been booked for our March, 2017 cruise for a while now ;)

I hope they do reimburse fla_gal and they should. They lived up to their end of the contract and planned accordingly.

I totally get what they are saying on itinerary. We are itinerary driven and choose for ports and ships.

Edited by kazu

I'm confused by your post. Their cruise was not more than a year away. We booked our air for our April cruise quite some time ago. We were lucky that we booked HAL flexible air and cancelled it no charge when they cancelled our Oosterdam cruise. Not everyone buys insurance for air travel.

most air fare is non refundable or, they allow a change with a huge fee.

Frankly, one does not expect a cruise to be cancelled and that is not something (air fare) I do travel insurance for early ;)

the poster's concern is a valid and legitimate one that many would face.

Obviously since the cruises are cancelled for nearly a 6 month period they don't need to be on the fall transatlantic.

Our air fare has been booked for our March, 2017 cruise for a while now ;)

I hope they do reimburse fla_gal and they should. They lived up to their end of the contract and planned accordingly.

I totally get what they are saying on itinerary. We are itinerary driven and choose for ports and ships.

Nonetheless, it is one more example of the importance of travel insurance. And, no, i see no reason why a cruise company should reimburse air fare. It is up to the individual to protect his/her travel expeditures through insurance. If one is going has to buy non-refundable air fare (we always use FF miles), then one should anticipate that something could happen to cancel the trip, such as an accident or illness. It's called individual responsibility.

Nonetheless, it is one more example of the importance of travel insurance. And, no, i see no reason why a cruise company should reimburse air fare. It is up to the individual to protect his/her travel expeditures through insurance. If one is going has to buy non-refundable air fare (we always use FF miles), then one should anticipate that something could happen to cancel the trip, such as an accident or illness. It's called individual responsibility.

Well, we can agree to disagree.

You book your cruise you have a contract with the cruise - you agree to go and they have your deposit - that is a contract. If they cancel, it's not your fault. They opted to do it and should come good for any fees.

We use FF miles too whenever we can but there are fees to get them back. Why should I absorb that if the company at the other end broke their contract?

Travel insurance is a good thing but let's not push it to the extreme. There is such a thing as a contract and when someone breaches then they should make good. JMO.

Re-deployment of Oosterdam was either a sudden decision or even cruise consultants working on the ships of the fleet were not informed.

We booked a Signature Suite on Oosterdam on August 22nd onboard Prinsendam without a hint what might change and even got the confirmation of our cruise deposit being placed on the 23rd.. A day later we were informed of the cancellation.

As it was a 7-day-cruise we won't be able to find something in a similar price range as the shortest Med cruise in 2017 is 12 days or more. I have not contacted Holland America, yet. But if we're not grandfathered into another cruise at a reduced price we'll be forced to cancel, as the other cruises offered for the Med are much more expensive. And I'm not yet sure if European customers will get a similar good deal like those that have been reported already on this thread.

We were booked on Oosterdam "Magic of Mediterranean" 24 night cruise from Barcelona in August 2017. Fortunately there is a similar length Westerdam cruise leaving on the same day ........ but from Civitaveccia in Italy. Unfortunately this cruise doesn't visit the ports in Spain and France but includes some pleasing alternatives.

The TA was able to book at our original price, plus HAL provided some OBC.

We had already booked our flights to Spain on points to arrive in Madrid a week before the cruise departure to enjoy some time Madrid and Barcelona. I give we will keep similar plans and grab a flight from Barcelona to Rome on the morning of the cruise departure. Although, we could possibly spend a couple of days in Nice/Monaco and then fly down to Rome.

Nevertheless, not letting this hiccup ruin our long awaited European holiday.

It may be the Amsterdam. We are booked to go FL to Seattle then staying on for the May 14 Alaska BtoB on Amsterdam. My booking now shows an extra Oosterdam booking as well for the Alaska dates. (I have 2 bookings now for the 14-21 May Alaska). The new booking is for the same cabin catagory but in a much poorer position so I am not a happy camper at the moment!!!!

Edited by colbe

I finally got my Transatlantic rebooked today onto the Konigsdam 10/3/17 sailing and am very happy with the outcome in terms of Cabin, pricing, protection of existing amenities and bonus onboard credit. That said It took me another 90 minutes on hold before I got an agent, but once I did she was EXCELLENT to work with. The only thing they did not protect was my 3 night pre-hotel package pricing, which is understandable as Rome hotels are typically more expensive than Barcelona (I did ask to have it price protected and they declined to do so - lol - never hurts!)

It may be the Amsterdam. We are booked to go FL to Seattle then staying on for the May 14 Alaska BtoB on Amsterdam. My booking now shows an extra Oosterdam booking as well for the Alaska dates. (I have 2 bookings now for the 14-21 May Alaska). The new booking is for the same cabin catagory but in a much poorer position so I am not a happy camper at the moment!!!!

The Amsterdam was doing a combo of 7 and 14 night sailings, I think one 14nt, then 2 7nts, and so on - all round trip Seattle. So maybe the Amsterdam will switch to all 14 night sailings and Noordam will replace and expand her 7 day schedule?

MOST travel insurance WILL NOT cover expenses incurred from a cruise line changing or canceling an itinerary in advance of departure. The best best is to work with the cruise line for any reimbursement on no-refundable travel related fees for any independently booked travel components. The contract with the cruise lines does NOT require them to reimburse said fees but the often do, on a case by case basis ......

Bummer, what a change - we already were planning one of Oosterdam's med sailings for 2017, luckily, we re-decided.

Any information, when the new sailings of Oosterdam are open for booking?

When Oosterdam is scheduled to reposition from Caribbean to West Coast and Alaska, there must also be a sailing from Tampa via Panama Canal to California - can't wait for that itinerary... :)

It just makes me wonder that Oosterdam is scheduled for sailings out of Seattle in 2017 - could they really fill three ships from there, and the two week-end days are already served by Eurodam and Amsterdam. Maybe some extra, new itineraries?

I would have been happy about some longer runs from San Francisco, maybe... :)

I was also wondering whether Westerdam is scheduled to overtake oosterdams sailings? But it seems her itineraries remain unchanged.

Originally I was thinking the 12 nighters between Barcelona, Venice and vv have been the "key" med itineraries in recent years...

Edited by shipfriend_max

MOST travel insurance WILL NOT cover expenses incurred from a cruise line changing or canceling an itinerary in advance of departure. The best best is to work with the cruise line for any reimbursement on no-refundable travel related fees for any independently booked travel components. The contract with the cruise lines does NOT require them to reimburse said fees but the often do, on a case by case basis ......

After doing some research I agree that most travel insurance companies

would not cover this. Although I did find some companies appear to cover

the cost of changing your air tickets in the event of a "default" by the cruise line.

m. Bankruptcy or Default of an airline, cruise line, tour operator or other travel provider (other

than the Travel Supplier, tour operator, travel agency, organization or firm from whom You

purchased Your Travel Arrangements) causing a complete cessation of travel services more

than 14 days following Your Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default

of an airline only if no alternate transportation is available. If alternate transportation is

available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another

airline in order to get to Your intended destination. This benefit only applies if the Policy has

been purchased within 21 days of the date Your initial deposit/payment for Your Trip is

received;

Note: I said "appear to cover." Since we have been using FF miles for our air, and we can cancel those flights, I am unfamiliar with a cancellation fee on non-refundable tickets. What is the usual fee for cancellation?

I'm confused by your post. Their cruise was not more than a year away. We booked our air for our April cruise quite some time ago. We were lucky that we booked HAL flexible air and cancelled it no charge when they cancelled our Oosterdam cruise. Not everyone buys insurance for air travel.

That is why I had a question mark after my "2017 fall TA?" I had not seen a date for their trip. Apparently, the trip was earlier in 2017.

You raised an interesting point, however. If one books airfare through HAL, an HAL cancels the cruise, it appears that they will cover the airfare if insurance has been purchased? If so, it is a compelling reason for purchasing air through HAL if not using FF miles.

That is why I had a question mark after my "2017 fall TA?" I had not seen a date for their trip. Apparently, the trip was earlier in 2017.

You raised an interesting point, however. If one books airfare through HAL, an HAL cancels the cruise, it appears that they will cover the airfare if insurance has been purchased? If so, it is a compelling reason for purchasing air through HAL if not using FF miles.

We booked "flexible" fares for our flights. This means that you do not pay for your air until cruise final payment and it is fully refundable up until that time. If you book restricted rates, you pay at the time of booking in full and not refundable. However, if HAL cancels your cruise, I don't know if they would refund your air if booked with restricted rates. I'm sure someone here on c.c. has knowledge of this.