New ship out of Cape Liberty ?

pjgavaghan

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 16 times with number 17 coming up in 10 days. While we loved Constellation and now Summit and we also did Silhouette the winter they had her here we have now had to do 3 RCCL Cruises because Celebrity does not have a ship home ported here all year long.

We would welcome a new (different) ship to sail on.

We sailed on both M and S class as well from Cape liberty when they did those lovely winter cruises to the Caribbean. I don't understand why they don't offer a few 12 nighters each year mixed in with the shorter Bermuda cruises. This would be great especially in the January-February months when the Caribbean is perfect for us North Easterners. LOL

Would give us a lot more time on a ship and more to spend on both the initial fare as well as on board. It would make coming back to Celebrity more inviting.

bosco

Are you sure an S class ship couldn't fit? I recall sailing the larger Explorer of the Seas into Kings Wharf in 2010. I just checked my pictures and confirmed... the smaller NCL ship was behind it at Heritage Wharf, where Breakaway currently docks.

S ships are longer than Explorer. They have to be able to tie down the ship to the dock and hold it from breaking loose in high winds. One of the Summit captains said there would have to be be a modification. He could be wrong I suppose.

Modifications could be done fast and it might not take much but first they would have to decide to do them and contract the work. Probably have to be done in the off season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

geez... Anthem of the Seas goes to Bermuda now. Where does it dock? It's considerably larger than Solstice class!

Anthem docks at Heritage Wharf. On days when Breakaway is not in port.

Edited by Charles4515

We sailed on both M and S class as well from Cape liberty when they did those lovely winter cruises to the Caribbean. I don't understand why they don't offer a few 12 nighters each year mixed in with the shorter Bermuda cruises. This would be great especially in the January-February months when the Caribbean is perfect for us North Easterners. LOL

Would give us a lot more time on a ship and more to spend on both the initial fare as well as on board. It would make coming back to Celebrity more inviting.

bosco

My DH and I have been saying the exact same thing for years. We sailed on the Anthem in March. We did a 12 night Western Caribbean from Bayonne. If Celebrity had a ship here I doubt we would be sailing on RCCL. But maybe that's what they want, everyone in this area to book RCCL cruises.

My DH and I have been saying the exact same thing for years. We sailed on the Anthem in March. We did a 12 night Western Caribbean from Bayonne. If Celebrity had a ship here I doubt we would be sailing on RCCL. But maybe that's what they want, everyone in this area to book RCCL cruises.

Maybe Celebrity will put another ship out of Cape Liberty on longer itineraries when the Edge class comes out. Either an S or an Edge. Hopefully they won't send a ship to China. Or better yet they could send Anthem to China and replace with a Celebrity ship.

Maybe Celebrity will put another ship out of Cape Liberty on longer itineraries when the Edge class comes out. Either an S or an Edge. Hopefully they won't send a ship to China. Or better yet they could send Anthem to China and replace with a Celebrity ship.

I think RCCL has a few ships in China already. I never thought that China would be a big cruise market but I guess it is!?!

Only thing RCCL does WAY better than Celebrity is their Diamond and Concierge lounges.

I'm not a fan of those mega NCL and RCCL ships. I would welcome a different Celebrity ship to sail out of NJ year round. After this next Celebrity cruise to Bermuda I'm contemplating sailing the other lines to the Caribbean for a longer itinerary just for a change.

I think RCCL has a few ships in China already. I never thought that China would be a big cruise market but I guess it is!?!

Only thing RCCL does WAY better than Celebrity is their Diamond and Concierge lounges.

They also do the entertainment a lot better on Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is my overall preference though.

I'm not a fan of those mega NCL and RCCL ships. I would welcome a different Celebrity ship to sail out of NJ year round. After this next Celebrity cruise to Bermuda I'm contemplating sailing the other lines to the Caribbean for a longer itinerary just for a change.

I probably will skip Bermuda next year. I would like to do the longer itineraries but right now that probably means going by myself. So will end up flying to Florida.

Edited by Charles4515

They also do the entertainment a lot better on Royal Caribbean. Celebrity is my overall preference though.

I wasn't that overwhelmed with their entertaiment. Anthem had one okay show, We Will Rock You. Spectra's Cabaret and The Gift were not good at all.

They had a Journey Tribute band the sailing we were on and they were very good, but that's just luck of the draw as they change all the time.

Edited by CruisingChick

Exactly. Why can't they do a few (NOT AN ENTIRE SEASON) of 12 nighters on the Summit (our particular favorite sized ship) out of Jersey for either or both Eastern and Western Caribbean before the Summit settles into its Bermuda season? I would gladly add what We have to spend on flights, hotels, meals and especially time wasted in airports and days wasted in pre-cruise and often post-cruise hotels.. We would rather spend 12 nights on a Celebrity ship out of Jersey instead of 9 on a cruise from Fort Lauderdale. It would also be less days that we have to allot for our vacation. While they are at it, how about a few different ports? We wouldn't mind tendering for the chance at seeing a couple of different ports.

I am sure they would have No trouble filling a few sailings from the Cold North to the Warmth of the Caribbean in late Winter or early Spring.

Sorry for beating that poor dead horse once again. LOL

bosco

I probably will skip Bermuda next year. I would like to do the longer itineraries but right now that probably means going by myself. So will end up flying to Florida.

Charles

There is a very nice 10 day north on Summit at the end of June. Nice ports and an overnight in Boston on the Fourth of July.

Charles

There is a very nice 10 day north on Summit at the end of June. Nice ports and an overnight in Boston on the Fourth of July.

That is a very nice itinerary but I think I would end up having to do it solo. Not in the frame of mind lately to cruise solo. I will keep it in mind though. I might be able to convince some friends or family to book it.

Edited by Charles4515

That is a very nice itinerary but I think I would end up having to do it solo. Not in the frame of mind lately to cruise solo. I will keep it in mind though. I might be able to convince some friends or family to book it.

Wife and I would love to do it but we have a wedding during that time.

There was a sticky at the top of this forum a week or so ago stating that the Summit would do shorter 4-5 night sailings out of FLL starting in 2018 I believe.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7185

Thanks for posting, perhaps this is linked to the change? As I stated earlier, timeframe was not mentioned when I was informed of a different ship other than Summit.

Thanks for posting, perhaps this is linked to the change? As I stated earlier, timeframe was not mentioned when I was informed of a different ship other than Summit.

The Summit is doing a few four and five nighters working around a bunch of charters, just like early 2017. The difference is that for 2018 Celebrity is marketing these cruises a little better. They also have posted the two repos back and forth from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale for the charters. Very cheap, but no perks. DW and I booked the March 24th and 29th (five and four nights), as a B2B the first day they went on the website. At that time they were very reasonable with two perks. Now they have gone through the roof along with many other Celebrity sailings. It seems like Celebrity is getting ready for a Labor Day sale second passenger 50% off. If the new prices hold through the sale, it is no deal at all.

We were lucky to sail from there on Silhouette to the Carib when she first came out..late Spring would be best as snow and cold weather is a factor sailing from Bayonne.

A S class ship would be a problem in the winter in Bayonne. Do they let the grass die and shovel the lawn club?

I think the best bet would be an Edge class ship. But they could take out the lawn on an S class ship if they were going to deploy one out of Bayonne in the winter for a number of years.

An S class ship would be a problem in the winter in Bayonne. Do they let the grass die and shovel the lawn club?

When we cruised out of Bayonne on a February cruise they had the grass covered with plastic on the Silhouette for the first day or so. It seemed to survive and got well warmed up in the Caribbean sun.

bosco

Not a botanist, but to the best of my knowledge grass doesn't die from the cold. It just goes dormant until the weather warms up. At least that's what my lawn does.

We live in Upstate NY (Albany area) and this year, although fairly cold, we had no real snow covering our lawn, which remained pretty green and healthy all winter long.

bosco

Not a botanist, but to the best of my knowledge grass doesn't die from the cold. It just goes dormant until the weather warms up. At least that's what my lawn does.

I agree. Even after my lawn is covered by snow, grass doesn't die.

When we cruised out of Bayonne on a February cruise they had the grass covered with plastic on the Silhouette for the first day or so. It seemed to survive and got well warmed up in the Caribbean sun.

bosco

Since that was the first year in service, they probably were just being on the safe side. The grass would have been almost new.