What is the primary problem with Curtis Stone in the MDR

Loreni

:confused:

You've never been to a tapas restaurant? Shared several Asian dishes with a group? Had an Italian meal where there is a large antipasta platter to share, even pizza to share? Shared as salad or some steamed veges as a side to your main? Shared a bowl of fries? Sharing food doesn't mean eating off another persons plate. It means dishes placed centrally on a table with serving spoons.

There are a fair number of restaurants in Australia that offer "share plates", usually smaller serves, larger than an appetiser but smaller than a main, designed so that you can have several different taste experiences as part of a meal. Personally I think it's a great idea.

And let's face it, I'm not going to get any more germs off my DH sharing meals with him than I would kissing him. :D

Previously I thought the idea of SHARE was to share a table and conversation. But, if you have a look at the SHARE menu posted earlier in this thread, the comment from Curtis Stone says 'from your plate'. Recently I saw a Princess promotional video for SHARE where Curtis Stone talks about his mother's kitchen and sharing food from a plate. It did not mean serving yourself from a central plate. That is OK and I am sure we all do it. Yes - sometimes a waiter will give us a bowl of fries to share and we will each tip some onto our plate, but we do not dive our fork onto our partner's plate to pick up some food. That is the concept that Curtis Stone has promoted in his video and on the end of the menu printed for SHARE.

Previously I thought the idea of SHARE was to share a table and conversation. But, if you have a look at the SHARE menu posted earlier in this thread, the comment from Curtis Stone says 'from your plate'. Recently I saw a Princess promotional video for SHARE where Curtis Stone talks about his mother's kitchen and sharing food from a plate. It did not mean serving yourself from a central plate. That is OK and I am sure we all do it. Yes - sometimes a waiter will give us a bowl of fries to share and we will each tip some onto our plate, but we do not dive our fork onto our partner's plate to pick up some food. That is the concept that Curtis Stone has promoted in his video and on the end of the menu printed for SHARE.

Um I think that's the point I was trying to make.

Cheers.:)

OK, just watched the video and it is ambiguous. There could be some verbal short cuts ie sharing/serving from your plate could mean sharing something from the plate that you ordered, for example.

Given the focus on health issues on cruises I somehow doubt that direct sharing would be encouraged.

I'll be on Sun Princess in two weeks time so might try Share out one night, if it looks reasonable.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

"Share" is based on small plate dining, not eating off each others plates. Good grief. Its similar to tapas or traditional Chinese dining (not American Chinese restaurants)

Its a bit more than appetizers and wine but similar. The upcharge is less for the food and more for the fewer covers small plate dining produces. Its more a social event than a "meal" If you are not into the concept, it won't work for you.

The food which is is small bites high in concentrated flavor of what ever it is and when combined with other bites produces unique flavor combinations (another part of share) Its is pure flavors not seasoning, not processing, not garnish etc or otherwise altered. much different than what most folks are used to. Thus the lack of "color", and high temperature (which alters flavors) Its not for everyone nor is it intended to be. But there are a fair number of fans. Usually a younger demographic. These "fans" are also in a demographic everyone is competing for. Like it or not its working for princess as they expand their markets.

Pork belly is nothing more than oversized bacon without being smoked. If you can get two peopl agree on how their bacon should be fixed, you have found a path to world peace.

Sadly the ATD items are not those but more regional "home meals." I compare them to Princess' idea of meatloaf or a turkey dinner......

Sweetbreads are the thymus glands of young animals, not the brains. Beef brains are not served much of anywhere anymore since mad cow disease. Some places are now using sheepbrains which are way different in flavor

Edited by TNTLAMB

Share is not the MDR which is the subject of this thread.

Although there have been a (very) few good reviews of Share I have read, even those reviews do not always agree it is worth the higher price charged for Share than the $29 charged for the other specialty restaurants.

I have tried the CS flank steak on the MDR menu. I found it to be dry, tough and flavorless, not anywhere near as good as when I have it at home.

Evidently not.

Actually, the only time I've seen grits on a menu was when I've been in the South. Our Southern cousins eat some (to me) bizarre things. One of my MILs favorite dishes was scrambled eggs and BRAINS. I kid you not! Not sure where they get the brains and don't want to know. :eek:

Yep, us Southern folks do eat strange stuff, like Grits, but you won't catch us eating anything strange like Polenta, which other regions seem to think is some kind of delicacy.

Since we are now drifting off into Share-Land...

"Share" is based on small plate dining, not eating off each others plates. Good grief. Its similar to tapas or traditional Chinese dining (not American Chinese restaurants)

And yet...this is printed right on the menu, above CS's signature:

“Sharing food and conversation with family and

good friends is the best way to eat. I love the process

of passing plates amongst each other and creating

meaningful connections, sharing what you like, and

reflecting on your adventures during the day. It’s these

moments that create memories we treasure forever.”

So where in there is embedded the notion of small plates? Do I need a decoder ring to turn "passing plates amongst each other" into "try some of our small plates"? Also, unlike the other Specialty Restaurants, "Share" is not an "order as much as you want" restaurant. Rather, it says on the menu:

Usual cover charge of $39/person includes one

selection from each course. Additional

selections are available for a nominal surcharge.

So the plates better not be tapas size or else the nominal surcharge is going to kick in fast.

The food which is small bites high in concentrated flavor of what ever it is and when combined with other bites produces unique flavor combinations (another part of share)

If one is limited to ordering one app, one main, one side and one cheese, and those courses are brought out seriatim, one is hardly going to be "combining" one bite with another to create any sort of alchemistic flavor explosion.

Grits are made from white corn or hominy.

They are not really thrilling on their own.

It's a southern thing.

I eat them with eggs.

Grits should not be too thick and should be very hot.

Butter, salt and pepper.

Bite of egg, bite of grits.

Good with runny yolks.

Sometimes folks make casseroles with cheese and stuff that are nice.

Yes, just as you describe, but add a bite of bacon or sausage. Very tasty IMO.

Since we are now drifting off into Share-Land...

And yet...this is printed right on the menu, above CS's signature:

“Sharing food and conversation with family and

good friends is the best way to eat. I love the process

of passing plates amongst each other and creating

meaningful connections, sharing what you like, and

reflecting on your adventures during the day. It’s these

moments that create memories we treasure forever.”

So where in there is embedded the notion of small plates? Do I need a decoder ring to turn "passing plates amongst each other" into "try some of our small plates"? Also, unlike the other Specialty Restaurants, "Share" is not an "order as much as you want" restaurant. Rather, it says on the menu:

Usual cover charge of $39/person includes one

selection from each course. Additional

selections are available for a nominal surcharge.

So the plates better not be tapas size or else the nominal surcharge is going to kick in fast.

If one is limited to ordering one app, one main, one side and one cheese, and those courses are brought out seriatim, one is hardly going to be "combining" one bite with another to create any sort of alchemistic flavor explosion.

Only if you are eating alone.... Small Plate dining is usually "group dining" or "Family style" and no they aren't Tapas Size plates So what was your experience at Share?

Edited by TNTLAMB

Be careful, JimmyVWine. This is a trick question. :p

That's OK. I think I got this. Watch.

Only if you are eating alone....

So if I'm not eating alone, and I need to combine my bite with someone else's bite in order to get the unique flavor combination, then isn't Share exactly what you said it was not when you said...

"Share" is based on small plate dining, not eating off each others plates.

Its a bit more than appetizers and wine but similar. The upcharge is less for the food and more for the fewer covers small plate dining produces. Its more a social event than a "meal" If you are not into the concept, it won't work for you.

The food which is is small bites high in concentrated flavor of what ever it is and when combined with other bites produces unique flavor combinations (another part of share) Its is pure flavors not seasoning, not processing, not garnish etc or otherwise altered. much different than what most folks are used to. Thus the lack of "color", and high temperature (which alters flavors) Its not for everyone nor is it intended to be. But there are a fair number of fans.

Usually a younger demographic. These "fans" are also in a demographic everyone is competing for. Like it or not its working for princess as they expand their markets.

Pork belly is nothing more than oversized bacon without being smoked. If you can get two peopl agree on how their bacon should be fixed, you have found a path to world peace.

Sadly the ATD items are not those but more regional "home meals." I compare them to Princess' idea of meatloaf or a turkey dinner......

Sweetbreads are the thymus glands of young animals, not the brains. Beef brains are not served much of anywhere anymore since mad cow disease. Some places are now using sheepbrains which are way different in flavor[/quote

I have eaten at Share, so I speak with experience. I ate at Share on the Ruby.

It was OK. Just Ok. Not spectacular.

The charcuterie course was OK. The salami was good, but no better than

Oscar Mayer. The pate was annoyingly runny.

The duck entree was good, very tasty. The mushroom entree was also good.

The cheese course was extremely disappointing. The cheese was not as good as the cheeses served at the buffet.

The chocolate dessert was quite good, but so was the chocolate ice cream that I had ashore at the ice cream shops in Lahaina, Maui.

The wines by the glass were good, as was the service.

Mystifying were the 50s and 60s Oldies, that were played during dinner.

I checked every night, on a 15 night cruise. There were usually only two or three tables with customers. The most I saw were five or six tables, but that was only on the night at I dined there.

The furniture was very uncomfortable.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

"Share" is based on small plate dining' date=' not eating off each others plates. Good grief. Its similar to tapas or traditional Chinese dining (not American Chinese restaurants)

The food which is is small bites high in concentrated flavor of what ever it is and when combined with other bites produces unique flavor combinations (another part of share) Its is pure flavors not seasoning, not processing, not garnish etc or otherwise altered. much different than what most folks are used to. Thus the lack of "color", and high temperature (which alters flavors) Its not for everyone nor is it intended to be. But there are a fair number of fans.

Usually a younger demographic. These "fans" are also in a demographic everyone is competing for. Like it or not its working for princess as they expand their markets.

Sweetbreads are the thymus glands of young animals, not the brains. Beef brains are not served much of anywhere anymore since mad cow disease. Some places are now using sheepbrains which are way different in flavor[/quote

I have eaten at Share, so I speak with experience. I ate at Share on the Ruby.

It was OK. Just Ok. Not spectacular.

The charcuterie course was OK. The salami was good, but no better than

Oscar Mayer. The pate was annoyingly runny.

The duck entree was good, very tasty. The mushroom entree was also good.

The cheese course was extremely disappointing. The cheese was not as good as the cheeses served at the buffet.

The chocolate dessert was quite good, but so was the chocolate ice cream that I had ashore at the ice cream shops in Lahaina, Maui.

The wines by the glass were good, as was the service.

Mystifying were the 50s and 60s Oldies, that were played during dinner.

I checked every night, on a 15 night cruise. There were usually only two or three tables with customers. The most I saw were five or six tables, but that was only on the night at I dined there.

The furniture was very uncomfortable.[/quote']

I kind of like the furniture, but your experience was similar to my second time..... The first and third were much better, The third was great but then we drank a lot more wine. The waiter talked us into a Blend (Lytton Springs Zinfandel Blend 2013) Something I normally don't drink but boy was he right..... It really paired well with everything an enhanced all the flavors.

It was my daughters wedding and there were 10 of us. We didn't do the pate' it sort of reminds me of nursing home food.... LOL. The Jamon Iberico (basically ham) was great. I disagree about the salami but I like the addition of fennel. I could do the duck over and over. I can't remember the cheese though. I'm trying to come up with something that compare to the ice cream shops in Lahaina although again I prolly have had better ice cream, but an afternoon in Lahaina after a drive to Hannah the DQ would be great.....

It also took us close to three hours for whole deal. So my memories are more of the experience than likely of the food which of course is a big part of what they are after......

If it was just my wife and I, we would likely skip it as opposed to being a part of a larger group. For the tribe we travel with, it is a perfect venue (for us) and makes for a great evening out. We'll return in Jan if for no other reason than to finish our trip through the wine list. There is only six of us on that cruise.

As we usually travel with a pretty large group its a perfect venue for us and with the service and lack of pressure to finish up its a great evening and a great value. The experience and time spent together has certainly provided more memories than "another steak dinner" at the other alternative sites.

BTW I have seen the recent Demographic numbers, FWIW Princess is attracting a younger (and better spending) crowd. whether they eat at Share or Share is just a part of whats attracting them is irrelevant to me. It keeps fares down for the rest of us.

At least they have a few interesting mains on Ruby and Emerald - butter poached lobster, twice cooked duck - which might make it worth paying extra for. On Sun it's roasted crab legs, roast chicken, mac and cheese, plus the turbot, beef cheek pie and mushrooms. Meh! :( Plus the only side on Sun is the potato gratin, no kale or leeks.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

At least they have a few interesting mains on Ruby and Emerald - butter poached lobster, twice cooked duck - which might make it worth paying extra for. On Sun it's roasted crab legs, roast chicken, mac and cheese, plus the turbot, beef cheek pie and mushrooms. Meh! :( Plus the only side on Sun is the potato gratin, no kale or leeks.

Is this in the MDR or in SHARE?

I think there are a total of 6 CS items. Each of our 2015 and 2016 cruises has had 3 of them on the menu, one per night. Of the 4 that someone at our table has ordered, the only good one was the potato and leek pot pie. The three on the Atlantic cruises were just plain gross-- tough, no flavor, etc.

I think there are a total of 6 CS items. Each of our 2015 and 2016 cruises has had 3 of them on the menu' date=' one per night. Of the 4 that someone at our table has ordered, the only good one was the potato and leek pot pie. The three on the Atlantic cruises were just plain gross-- tough, no flavor, etc.[/quote']

On Golden the same three were on the MDR menu every night.

Maybe l'm the only one who doesn't know - and I do lead a quiet life ! - but who is Curtis Stone? :)

Your question perfectly and succinctly answers the thread topic's question. The "primary problem" is that Curtis Stone, to the extent that he is a "celebrity chef", is at best, on the "B" List of celebrities. Sort of like my reaction to "Dancing With the Stars". If people have to google your name on the internet to find out who you are, then you aren't really a "Star".