A request to our hosts

capecodmercury

Walt and Anne,

I'm not sure of the protocol for this, but I thought I would put a request out for your consideration. Is it possible to create a new "sticky" thread dedicated to collecting and posting the most up to date captures of the menus from the various restaurants and bars from the Celebrity ships?

My reason for this request is twofold. First, as I peruse the various threads on this board, one of the most common requests that I see is for the current menus.

My second reason is my personal frustration. On past cruises, I have eaten at the Tuscan Grille and enjoyed it. My wife and I have discussed including it again on our upcoming cruise, but I have read various indications that the menu has been changed recently, including a possible up-charge for some entrees. But, every effort that I have made to find the new menu has been unsuccessful. I'm sure its here somewhere buried in a thread, but, the search function has not been very helpful in locating it.

So, my thought that a collection of these menus in one easily located place would make all of our cruise planning that much easier. After all, the sticky threads on cabins is an incredible resource.

Thanks for you consideration. And a big welcome back to Anne.

Tim

The one thing I have always loved about cruising is NOT to know in advance what the food menus or even what the daily activities will be.

This request would be more relevant to the Carnival forum, where they always ask for this stuff.

Keep it classy, Celebrity! :cool:

Edited by loubetti

I would not like to see a Sticky where people use it to complain about the food or service. Fine it it could be limited to specific menus in each venue. Remember, there are sometimes "test" menus or items that may appear on only one or two ships. The best information would come from people who just returned from a cruise. They can always share menus in a new thread.

The one thing I have always loved about cruising is NOT to know in advance what the food menus or even what the daily activities will be.

This request would be more relevant to the Carnival forum, where they always ask for this stuff.

I think I kind of agree. We like to be surprised by new experiences, foods and the like. I think it is easy to so micro-manage your travel that the wonder is kind of lost. It is like traveling the world with your nose stuffed into an Ipad or an Iphone taking picture after picture and missing the world around you.

Plan, yes, but don't let it overcome your experience. Let things flow. Be surprised. Be awed.

Those who want to know can read it. Those who don't want to know won't.

I would not like to see a Sticky where people use it to complain about the food or service. Fine it it could be limited to specific menus in each venue. Remember, there are sometimes "test" menus or items that may appear on only one or two ships. The best information would come from people who just returned from a cruise. They can always share menus in a new thread.

I totally agree with this sentiment about no complaints! My request was merely for a place to aggregate the menus themselves. The problem with searching the threads for the menus is the limitations on the search function. A sticky thread would be there as a resource for anyone who wants to use it.

I totally agree with this sentiment about no complaints! My request was merely for a place to aggregate the menus themselves. The problem with searching the threads for the menus is the limitations on the search function. A sticky thread would be there as a resource for anyone who wants to use it.

Think you have a good idea. The community and Moderators would need to keep an eye out to make sure that it doesn't go like the "Who's Onboard" thread. This tread was supposed to be confined to information about staff movements, but has gone all over the place including negative comments about Officers and Staff.

The problem exists that menus change from cruise to cruise/ship to ship. Menus for a 7-day cruise are completely different than those for a 10/11/13/14/15/16-day cruise.

I think individuals posting samples of menus from a particular cruise gives one a flavor for what to expect from Celebrity.

Hi Everyone,

Many good comments - especially Orator & Wine-O. IMO, I think it will become a difficult thread, as it will become more about being happy and not happy with the cuisine, and less about the menus.

Another item to consider.... Celebrity seems to be changing things around lately. As far as menus etc... what might be accurate today, may not be accurate tomorrow. I also strongly agree with Wine-O's comment, in that if you post all 14 dinner menus and you're on a 7 day cruise - you might expect certain items, and never see them.

In theory, I like the idea - but I do not think it could work, from an accuracy standpoint.

Just my .02 cents

Edited by Andy

Hi Everyone,

Many good comments - especially Orator & Wine-O. IMO, I think it will become a difficult thread, as it will become more about being happy and not happy with the cuisine, and less about the menus.

Another item to consider.... Celebrity seems to be changing things around lately. As far as menus etc... what might be accurate today, may not be accurate tomorrow. I also strongly agree with Wine-O's comment, in that if you post all 14 dinner menus and you're on a 7 day cruise - you might expect certain items, and never see them.

In theory, I like the idea - but I do not think it could work, from an accuracy standpoint.

Just my .02 cents

Thanks for your expertise on this Andy. As I said when I started the thread, I was just looking for an aggregation if possible. (That was one reason I didn't mention dailies too :)) I didn't really have the experience to properly consider the logistics of how it could be done.

But, it was the recent changes that made me wonder if this was possible in the first place. I do like to plan ahead and it gets frustrating not being able to find the information.

I think it would be a great idea. Yes there is a chance it may go off track with discussions about the food but an individual thread can do that as well. The search function is the easiest to use to quickly find posts relevant to your needs. Those that don't want to view the menus don't need to read it.

I would add that a drinks package sticky would be equally useful given the number of threads started asking the same questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it would be a great idea. Yes there is a chance it may go off track with discussions about the food but an individual thread can do that as well. The search function is the easiest to use to quickly find posts relevant to your needs. Those that don't want to view the menus don't need to read it.

I would add that a drinks package sticky would be equally useful given the number of threads started asking the same questions.

Agree!

Definitely agree about the drink package sticky, the same questions are repeated on a weekly basis - hence then number of thread openers that invariably start with, 'another drink package question'.

There are many 3rd party blog sites or similar where they are often referenced as have posted menus etc. it would be great to see them listed here with a chance to keep them up to date instead.

And +++++10000 for a drink package sticky. I made a drink calculator that was requested to become a sticky, it has since been referenced in a very thorough and informative drink FAQ thread that in itself would be worthy of a sticky. Sorry not sure how to link to it.

I thinks that's a valid use of a sticky thread. Often repeated asked for info. If your interested the read it, if you're not, then no harm done by giving it a miss!

Edited by QE2_Fan

While I appreciate that some people like to plan in advance,you must realize that all kinds of things can happen that could lead to a change in the menu at any time. I can just imagine passengers complaining to customer service that they saw a certain item on the menu at a forum and now it's not being served and getting upset.

The menus are posted daily outside the MDR. It's really easy to check and decide at that point what your evening plans might be.

Think you have a good idea. The community and Moderators would need to keep an eye out to make sure that it doesn't go like the "Who's Onboard" thread. This tread was supposed to be confined to information about staff movements, but has gone all over the place including negative comments about Officers and Staff.

I've always thought that Arno's Who's Onboard thread should also be a sticky -- with the limitation that it only be used to report staffing changes (opinions could be expressed on a separate thread). But, that would be a lot of work for the mods -- IMHO -- this topic would be, too.

I know that there are several minus that have very limited choices for me. I like to see the menus in the order that they will appear so that I can plan alternative dining. Usually go to the Maître 'd and ask to see them at the start of the cruise. Menu order can change for a variety of reasons. On one of my Med. cruises the 1st night menu in Blu was shifted until later in the cruise because the Chef and Maître 'd felt that people would be tired from traveling and they didn't want to "waste" the filet choice.

What I would like to see is that the interactive TV post the specific menus and order for the specific cruise. There are lots of menus so this might take time to set up, but they don't vary too much on the same ship doing the same itiniary. Passengers could view them if and when they wished. Any last minute changes could be noted.

I'll be a voice of dissension here, not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I think there are too many stickies already.

I think the more of them that are there the more their importance is diluted. Each time I come to the Celebrity page I glaze over the stickies and go to the first new post. I pay very little attention to them.

Just my .02

I'll be a voice of dissension here, not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I think there are too many stickies already.

I think the more of them that are there the more their importance is diluted. Each time I come to the Celebrity page I glaze over the stickies and go to the first new post. I pay very little attention to them.

Just my .02

Too many? I can only see four stickies in the Celebrity thread. Hardly an excess. Although I would certainly agree there should be a criteria for a sticky thread candidate as you would certainly want to keep these posts peritenent.

Like the existing S class cabins sticky. An excellent reference. General posts are requested to be done elsewhere. Also it is a guide based on user feedback, I wouldn't be screaming to Celebrity or Cabin #1234 only had two cushions in the couch but someone had posted they had three :eek:

Same for the menus and drink listings. It would be a useful GUIDE and should never considered or treated as gospel. Like most discussions on cruise critic :D