Should we sail on Princess?

notjaded

We have several journeys on each of the following: Costa, Celebrity, and Holland America. We have one journey on Seabourn and NCL.

A Japan itinerary on the Diamond Princess sparks our interest, however, we have heard some very negative things about this cruiseline. If we go, we will be in a mini-suite or vista suite.

Any thoughts about the advisability of a Princess cruise, and what we should expect in relation to our previous cruise history?

Many thanks!

We find Princess very similar to Celebrity - some things Princess does a bit better, some Celebrity does a bit better but they are much of a muchness and I'm happy to cruise on either.

We do cruise on Princess more but that's partly because Princess operates out of Australia all year round. We haven't tried Diamond Princess yet but are booked on her in March 2018 (not showing in my countdown clocks yet - four is enough at one time). We really enjoyed the recent Golden Princess cruise we did a few months ago.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We have sailed on Princess many times, in many itineraries...No problems with Princess...have also sailed on RCL...Princess and RCL are not similar, we found RCL to be more "common" like downtown Las Vegas VS the strip....

I'd be interested to hear what the 'very negative things' are that you heard...

If you haven't already, make sure you do some research on the Princess board (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197). A number of changes were made to the Diamond Princess specifically to appeal to the Asian market. There are a number of threads that discuss them (one I remember off the top of my head concerns toilets :D) and the new itineraries.

As far as cabins, we have traveled in both mini-suites and full suites on Princess including on the Diamond's sister ship the Sapphire Princess. The Vista Suites have a beam on their balconies but the balcony itself is so large that it never presented an problem. In fact if the sun was beating down on the balcony it provided a little shady area for the lounge chairs. We like the mini-suites because they have a nice lounging area (full size couch, second TV, desk w/chair, coffee table, arm chair) between the bed area and the balcony. The bathroom has a bath/tub combination (not available in the lower category cabins).

Like the OP, we have cruised on many lines (14 to date) and could list pros and cons of just about any line. But the OP asks a very general question...so we would pose this question for the OP. Specifically, what negative comments have you heard about Princess? We can certainly think of plenty of negative things to say about Celebrity (we are Elite Plus) and HAL (nearly 500 days on this line). And yes, we can think of negatives regarding Princess...but we can also think of lots of positives.

Hank

We pretty much bounce between HAL, Celebrity and Princess. More similarities between these 3 than differences. As far as "negatives", if that's what you want to call it, yes...there are certain things on one line that we find preferable to something on the other but I wouldn't necessarily call it "negative". Case in point: we aren't all that pleased that they took 1/2 of the Wheelhouse Bar on one ship and turned it into a surcharge restaurant. Now that bar is too small and always crowded and often times you can't find seats. To us, that's a "negative"..... to others, they couldn't care less!

If you like Costa, Celebrity, and Holland America, you'll be fine on Princess. As others have said, without stating your specific concerns from the reviews, it's hard to give you a definitive answer.

Roz

Thanks to all of you for your replies. And thanks to cappricio for the link.

It is nice to know that the Celebrity and Princess are comparable.

I intentionally did not get specific about what concerns we have heard about as I wanted to leave the issue open-ended and global in nature. (Unfortunately, too often when some post specific concerns on CC, an argument ensues between supporters and detractors.)

Thanks again!

I loved both Princess cruises that I have taken! I have also been on Celebrity, Carnival, Costa, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian. I feel that Princess is a bit more upscale than the other cruiselines I've been on - more like Celebrity is. The service, particularly in the dining room has always been top notch, as has the food. I would definitely go on Princess if give the opportunity.

I must admit that Princess is not my favorite, but it's not bad. I'm not a fan of their food, especially the alternative restaurants. I find the buffet crowded as is the main theater. Deck spaces on the ship are wonderful. Hate the small showers with the dreaded shower curtain, but storage spaces are pretty good. Cabins are brown on brown with a touch of ugly. I like bright and modern!

I prefer Celebrity, Cunard, NCL and Royal over Princess. Royal Caribbean and Princess are about the same level to me. Many people compare Princess to Celebrity, but I find X head and shoulders better in every way. Many would find it strange that I would rate NCL above Princess (and I would have to two years ago), but with the UDP (ultimate dining package) and the UBP, NCL is a very good experience. We eat every evening meal in one of their great alternative restaurants. Just stay out of the buffet and visit the MDR for breakfast and lunch.

I will give Princess another try in a year or two. Maybe on their new ship, or something like the Ruby???

Enjoy!

Kel

Edited by kelmac

We have several journeys on each of the following: Costa, Celebrity, and Holland America. We have one journey on Seabourn and NCL.

A Japan itinerary on the Diamond Princess sparks our interest, however, we have heard some very negative things about this cruiseline. If we go, we will be in a mini-suite or vista suite.

Any thoughts about the advisability of a Princess cruise, and what we should expect in relation to our previous cruise history?

Many thanks!

Thanks for all your advice. I did book a cruise on Princess, but it started off with such frustration that I cancelled my booking. Buyer beware:

1. Booked mini-suite with a certain promotion package included.

2. Called again and spoke to agent, twice asking if I could upgrade to a Vista suite and still have the package included. Twice she said "Yes."

3. Paperwork emailed, and promotion package not included.

4. Called back and informed that I would hear from CS on Monday

5. Got paperwork emailed, has old promotion but charge is about $3.5k more per person on a promotion that would cost $901 if I charged it myself.

6. I call Princess and they refuse to honor the declaration of their agent. CSR wants to give me $100 OBC.

7. I cancel. No way am I doing business with such incompetence. I will assume incompetence rather than lies.

Thanks for your previous insights. The above comments merely represent my first (and last) try with Princess. I'm glad that obviously my experiences are not common.

Thanks for all your advice. I did book a cruise on Princess, but it started off with such frustration that I cancelled my booking. Buyer beware:

1. Booked mini-suite with a certain promotion package included.

2. Called again and spoke to agent, twice asking if I could upgrade to a Vista suite and still have the package included. Twice she said "Yes."

3. Paperwork emailed, and promotion package not included.

4. Called back and informed that I would hear from CS on Monday

5. Got paperwork emailed, has old promotion but charge is about $3.5k more per person on a promotion that would cost $901 if I charged it myself.

6. I call Princess and they refuse to honor the declaration of their agent. CSR wants to give me $100 OBC.

7. I cancel. No way am I doing business with such incompetence. I will assume incompetence rather than lies.

Thanks for your previous insights. The above comments merely represent my first (and last) try with Princess. I'm glad that obviously my experiences are not common.

You should have booked through a travel agent. Princess allows TAs to discount and we regularly get a 10% - 12% reduction on the fare and our TA will run interference with Princess if necessary. We are elite on Princess and only needed 'interference' once when we switched to a B2B and the cabin we had already reserved for one leg wasn't included in the B2B pricing. Our TA made a call and got us the cabin so we didn't have to move.

If you were happy with HAL and Celebrity, you will find Princess very close in terms of comfort and service. If you were happy with NCL, you will should be overjoyed with Princess."

Great Comment! So totally agree! :D

Edited by OCruisers

I have a friend who travels extensively around the world and has done may cruises.

He did this sailing, and it was his first Princess cruise. He was very disappointed. The food was not good at all, and that service was lacking.

This sailing caters to the Asian market.

We enjoy Princess but can see how this sailing may not appeal to some.

I suggest looking at reviews and post on the Princess board. :)

Or look elsewhere.