Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

Great pictures and great review Jeff!

We got off the Sunshine on the same day that you boarded. So reading your trip report is like dejavu.

Looking forward to reading more.:)

Thanks for following along! Looking forward to meeting you on the Pride in February! :)

Great review so far! I love the pics of your earlier cruises! We are sailing on sunshine for our second dime in 2 weeks! Reading your review is a great way to get excited for it!

Thanks for reading! Enjoy your 2nd cruise on the Sunshine. Bermuda is a very beautiful island. :)

It is now 4:15 pm, and it is now our turn to sail away. This will be the 18th time that we have sailed from New York since this is our homeport, and it never gets old. We have taken the same pictures over and over again, but as every cruise is different, we’ll be taking them once again! Lol. The Carnival Sunshine has now backed away from Pier 90…..

CS0179.JPG

CS01781.JPG

Looking north up the Hudson River towards the George Washington Bridge…..

CS01771.JPG

We will be heading south on the Hudson River, into New York harbor, then under the Verrazano Bridge, then out to sea…..

CS01821.JPG

We are sailing past the Intrepid Air and Sea Museum…..

CS0184.JPG

CS01871.JPG

To be continued…..

Here is a popular Hudson River restaurant…..

CS01971.JPG

The Chelsea Piers golf driving range…..

CS02001.JPG

Here is another view of the Empire State Building…..

CS0202.JPG

We are heading towards Lower Manhattan…..

CS0204.JPG

Another sightseeing boat sails by us…..

CS02051.JPG

This is a view of Midtown Manhattan…..

CS0206.JPG

To be continued.…..

Here is the Staten Island Ferry. You can cruise on there all day long for free!!

CS02161.JPG

A view of the Brooklyn Bridge…..

CS02241.JPG

The view looking up the East River…..

CS02251.JPG

A close up view of the Staten Island Ferry…..

CS0226.JPG

Now we move from the port side of the ship to the starboard side so we can see the Statue of Liberty. First, we sail past Ellis Island, where many of our ancestors were processed following their arrival to America…..

CS02271.JPG

CS02301.JPG

To be continued…..

Soon it was time to our first dinner.

Before continuing on I have to make the following disclaimer. After many years of faithful service, Patti’s Sony DSC-H10 camera was starting to act up. The flash began to work sporadically, and then didn’t work at all. Of course, I had neglected to bring our back up camera along! My bad! Even a trip down to Pixels and a talk with a photographer couldn’t solve the problem. Her camera was on its last legs, and this would be its last cruise. Patti will be getting a new camera for our next cruise. Anyway, the inside pictures taken on this cruise will not be up to our usual standards, even though Patti tried many different settings, so we apologize in advance for any photos that may be a little dark and a little off. We did lose a few awesome photo opportunities because of this problem. Thanks for your understanding. End of message.

We had Late Seating in the Sunrise Dining Room. This is the dining room all the way aft. Your Time Dining is on Deck 3, and assigned seating is on Deck 4. I had emailed the Maitre’d Amith prior to the cruise requesting a booth for two, and he came through for us. We were seated at a booth for two, table # 551…..

CS0255.JPG

Here is tonight’s menu…..

CS0256.JPG

CS0257.JPG

CS0258.JPG

Patti started off with the chicken quesadilla, and I had the Maryland corn chowder…..

CS02591.JPG

CS02601.JPG

To be continued…..

I ordered two orders of shrimp cocktail, while Patti ordered a Caesar’s salad…..

CS02611.JPG

CS02621.JPG

We both had the sweet and sour shrimp as our mains…..

CS02631.JPG

Here we are at our first dinner of the cruise…..

CS0266.JPG

CS02651.JPG

Tonight’s Dessert Menu…..

CS02641.JPG

To be continued…..

For dessert, Patti had two scoops of butter pecan ice cream….

CS02671.JPG

I ordered the strawberry parfait. It looks good, but it was horrible. So bland it was like eating air. Beware!!!

CS0268.JPG

The Sunrise Dining Room chandeliers…..

CS02691.JPG

Here is the entertainment schedule for our cruise…..

CS02711.jpg

Nothing appealed to us, so I went to the Fun Hub on Deck 5 to set up an internet account. I chose the Value Plan for $60 for the cruise. You can also purchase it for $16 / day. Afterwards, I went to the Skybox Sports Bar for a couple of Thirsty Frog Reds.

Patti was going to walk around taking some pictures, then head back to the cabin. Here is the Havana Bar, all the way aft on Deck 9…..

CS02721.JPG

Some of the seating in the Lido Marketplace…..

CS02751.JPG

To be continued…..

We were both back in the cabin fairly early. Here is tonight’s turn down service.

CS02811.JPG

Speaking of service, our steward’s names were Panny and Suriat. Our cabin was serviced twice a day every day. We were never asked to choose which service we wanted.

CS02821.JPG

Our Shore Excursion tickets have arrived……

CS02831.JPG

Our VIFP gifts were the Tervis Tumblers……

CS02841.JPG

It was great to be back out to sea! Goodnight.

Coming up next: Our first Fun Day at sea!!

Thank you for doing a picture review of this itinerary. You're right - there aren't that many reviews for a Canada/NE itinerary. My family is considering this exact same cruise for next September. We are from the West Coast of Canada and would love to visit our own country on the East Coast. I saw that you missed the hurricane in NYC and wondered how the sailing was out of NYC and into Canada and the ports. Was the water choppy throughout the cruise? Did you experience seasickness? I know the weather varies and best to dress in layers and to bring seasick meds. Does Carnival provide free seasick meds in the Medical Centre or Guest Services? How was the entertainment aboard the ship? Is it still warm enough to use the pool and waterslides on sea days and while in ports or was it too cold? Sorry for the questions but I thank you in advance for your comments.