Oh Canada! Our Carnival Sunshine New England/Canada cruise (with pics) 9/3/2016

Jamman54

Great review so far Jeff! You and Patti haven't changed a bit from your first cruise on Destiny! Our first cruise was Dec 1996 on Majesty of the Seas. It was the same week as Destiny's inaugural Caribbean cruise I believe. We were doing the same itinerary as Destiny (western Caribbean) so we were sailing together. Majesty had been the largest cruise ship but she gave up that title to Destiny. Funny how much bigger the ships have gotten over the past 20 years.

Loved your sail away pictures. We have some very similar to yours from last October sailing out of NYC on Regal Princess.

I am interested to see whether Hermine affects your cruise at all...

Awesome review so far Jeff! Thanks for the great pics - loved the throwbacks. We leave Wednesday for a couple of days pre-cruise and sail on Saturday on the Sunshine. We too chose the inside due to port intensive cruise - we are on the spa deck so I really appreciated your pics of the room.

Thanks so much!

Hi Jeff, Looking forward to your review. I remember 15 months ago discussing this cruise with you (on the Splendor). We will be on the Sunshine in 2 weeks heading to Bermuda. Thanks for your in depth review and Patti's wonderful photos! Marjorie

Hey Marjorie!! Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy your cruise on the Sunshine and your visit to lovely Bermuda! :)

Beautiful shots of NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for reading!

Thank you for doing a picture review of this itinerary. You're right - there aren't that many reviews for a Canada/NE itinerary. My family is considering this exact same cruise for next September. We are from the West Coast of Canada and would love to visit our own country on the East Coast. I saw that you missed the hurricane in NYC and wondered how the sailing was out of NYC and into Canada and the ports. Was the water choppy throughout the cruise? Did you experience seasickness? I know the weather varies and best to dress in layers and to bring seasick meds. Does Carnival provide free seasick meds in the Medical Centre or Guest Services? How was the entertainment aboard the ship? Is it still warm enough to use the pool and waterslides on sea days and while in ports or was it too cold? Sorry for the questions but I thank you in advance for your comments.

I'll be covering the sea and weather conditions as the review progresses, but I can tell that only one night we felt the ship rocking. Other than that, it was pretty smooth.

Patti and I have taken a lot of cruises and never have we been seasick. In the old days Dramamine was given away for free, but not sure if that's the case now.

On our cruise the temps varied from 62 to 72 degrees, except the last sea day back, which was warmer. All the pools, hot tubs, and waterworks were open, but except for the hot tubs, were lightly used. Keep in mind that there are not many children on these cruises.

Entertainment is subjective, but we were satisfied with what we saw.

Thanks for following along!

Your pictures of sailing out of New York are wonderful! that is on my bucket list to do that someday:):):)

Everyone needs to sail out of New York sometime! Book it!!

My FAVORITE Carnival souvenir glass!!! I picked up two of these on our very-first Carnival cruise, and to this day still have them (and use them) in our cabinet.

CeleBrat

We also still use our old mason jar drink glasses. :)

Great review so far Jeff! You and Patti haven't changed a bit from your first cruise on Destiny! Our first cruise was Dec 1996 on Majesty of the Seas. It was the same week as Destiny's inaugural Caribbean cruise I believe. We were doing the same itinerary as Destiny (western Caribbean) so we were sailing together. Majesty had been the largest cruise ship but she gave up that title to Destiny. Funny how much bigger the ships have gotten over the past 20 years.

Loved your sail away pictures. We have some very similar to yours from last October sailing out of NYC on Regal Princess.

I am interested to see whether Hermine affects your cruise at all...

Thanks for following along again! Hermine did mess us up a tiny bit, but not seriously. More details as the review progresses.

Yay! This is a cruise I hope to take someday soon. I love your reviews..I'm new to cruising and your Pride review gave me so much info for my upcoming trip. I learned a lot so I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for coming along for the ride again! Enjoy your cruise on our favorite ship!

Love your review so far!! We are sailing the sunshine to canada on october 8th for our honeymoon. First time on carnival and only our 2nd cruise ever. All the pictures are making me so excited!! I can't wait!

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Congrats on your wedding! You'll be getting off the ship and Ryan and I will be getting on. Thanks for reading.

Awesome review so far Jeff! Thanks for the great pics - loved the throwbacks. We leave Wednesday for a couple of days pre-cruise and sail on Saturday on the Sunshine. We too chose the inside due to port intensive cruise - we are on the spa deck so I really appreciated your pics of the room.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for reading, and enjoy your cruise on the Sunshine!!

Hi Jeff! Thanks for writing up this review! You are off to a great start, and I LOVED the throwback photos from your old cruises :D I can't wait to read the rest!!

Thanks for following along. Much more to come!

I'll be covering the sea and weather conditions as the review progresses, but I can tell that only one night we felt the ship rocking. Other than that, it was pretty smooth.

Patti and I have taken a lot of cruises and never have we been seasick. In the old days Dramamine was given away for free, but not sure if that's the case now.

On our cruise the temps varied from 62 to 72 degrees, except the last sea day back, which was warmer. All the pools, hot tubs, and waterworks were open, but except for the hot tubs, were lightly used. Keep in mind that there are not many children on these cruises.

Entertainment is subjective, but we were satisfied with what we saw.

Thanks for following along!

Everyone needs to sail out of New York sometime! Book it!!

Jamman, our very first cruise was the Celebrity Horizon. This was a PBA chartered cruise from NY to Bermuda. DH was president of the PBA and went free. I tagged along and left our 2 little boys at home with Grandma and Grandpa. We actually had to leave Bermuda a day early so we could "sail around" a hurricane on the way back. I THINK it was Gloria...that ship was rocking and rolling and being the inexperienced "sailors" we were we did not know how we would react. It did not effect us ONE BIT and it was even "fun" trying to navigate the ship and probably the best night sleep I have ever had. It was just like a giant hammock! Have never been "afraid"of bad weather since....we even sailed home thru Hurricane Floyd! :eek:

Do you need to reserve seats in the Serenity area or can you just walk up and find a seat?

Is deck 9 where most of the food options for lunch and breakfast are?

How cold is the interior of the ship (showroom, bars, etc.)?

Did you have afternoon tea on one of the 2 sea days? If so, did they have scones?

Thanks. Thoroughly enjoying your review since we board this Saturday.

MARAPRINCE

Jamman, our very first cruise was the Celebrity Horizon. This was a PBA chartered cruise from NY to Bermuda. DH was president of the PBA and went free. I tagged along and left our 2 little boys at home with Grandma and Grandpa. We actually had to leave Bermuda a day early so we could "sail around" a hurricane on the way back. I THINK it was Gloria...that ship was rocking and rolling and being the inexperienced "sailors" we were we did not know how we would react. It did not effect us ONE BIT and it was even "fun" trying to navigate the ship and probably the best night sleep I have ever had. It was just like a giant hammock! Have never been "afraid"of bad weather since....we even sailed home thru Hurricane Floyd! :eek:

Hello Karen! Not to "hijack" (sorry Jeff), but you mentioned Hurricane Floyd...I have very fond memories of our dear friend Floyd in September 1999. We drove the 8.5 to 9 hours for our first family vacation to Hilton Head, SC, knowing Floyd cruising the Atlantic, but at that time we didn't know what it's path would be. Three days after we arrived, we had to pack up for mandatory evacuation and we left at 9AM. What a day. Three and a half hours just to go the 7 miles to get off the island and then stuck on the parking lot of I-95 for HOURS until we finally reached the I-95/I-26 (east/west) interchange. At 11PM that night, we finally reached Fayetteville, NC (southern NC and usually 4.5 to 5 hours from Hilton Head) and were able to get a hotel room. We finished the drive home in heavy, heavy rain the next day. Fun times! LOL!!!

Not a fun vacation, Holly! :(:( Those are the chances you/we take when vacationing in the fall/hurricane season. We actually had no problem with Floyd. I am sure the Captain took the ship out as far as possible. I remember it was overcast and there were some waves/swells, but no big deal. We live about 20 minutes from Port of Manhattan in NE NJ and when we got home....:eek::eek: our town was literally WIPED OUT. Matter of fact, the PD where DH worked was completely leveled. I remember my parents going NUTS that the hurricane was being forecast for when we were away and that we actually had "the nerve" to get on the ship.Ends up it was better out there! :cool: You just can't predict Mother Nature's moods! (sorry for the highjack, Jamman!:o )

Looking forward to another great review!

I've been considering taking this cruise for a while now. Hopefully your review will sway me in the right direction.

Thanks for following along again! Consider yourself swayed. Book it! :D

What was your favourite port?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No favorites. Enjoyed them all. :)

The roughest cruise we were ever on was also a cruise to Bermuda, On the Celebrity Zenith. It was like Victory at Sea with the water sloshing out of the pools. Not many people at dinner that night, but Patti, me, and the boys were not affected. We love the "motion of the ocean" :D

Do you need to reserve seats in the Serenity area or can you just walk up and find a seat?

Is deck 9 where most of the food options for lunch and breakfast are?

How cold is the interior of the ship (showroom, bars, etc.)?

Did you have afternoon tea on one of the 2 sea days? If so, did they have scones?

Thanks. Thoroughly enjoying your review since we board this Saturday.

MARAPRINCE

Technically, you aren't supposed to reserve seats. Yeah, right! You can walk up and find one, but the best locations are gone early.

Yes, mostly. The Taste Bar on Deck 5 has breakfast some days. The Sunrise Dining room has the Sea Day Brunch on sea days, and is open for breakfast on port days. Bonsai Sushi on Deck 4 is open for lunch.

The interior of the ship was comfortable. Patti usually wears a sweater to dinner but didn't this time.

We did not make it to Afternoon Tea.

Enjoy your cruise!!

The roughest cruise we were ever on was also a cruise to Bermuda, On the Celebrity Zenith. It was like Victory at Sea with the water sloshing out of the pools. Not many people at dinner that night, but Patti, me, and the boys were not affected. We love the "motion of the ocean" :D

Jamman, I was wondering when you were on Zenith for the hurricane. She was also in Bermuda with us (this was in September, 1992) and the Captain decided NOT to leave port early. We heard that they encountered SEVERE weather with glasses and dishes broken and I think I remember the Captain was actually fired....:eek::(