Oh dear, Rhapsody is in the wars again!

heatherb1958

As one who has been prominently misquoted by Walker, let me say that I don't care whether he gets linked here or not, it just means I've got to set the facts straight more often. I read his blog for my daily chuckle, 'cause that's all its worth. Every article he posts has either a ridiculous, innacurate claim, or a downright wrong "fact". I don't find it worth my time to try to post rebuttals to him, since it won't matter anyway.

As one who has been prominently misquoted by Walker, let me say that I don't care whether he gets linked here or not, it just means I've got to set the facts straight more often. I read his blog for my daily chuckle, 'cause that's all its worth. Every article he posts has either a ridiculous, innacurate claim, or a downright wrong "fact". I don't find it worth my time to try to post rebuttals to him, since it won't matter anyway.

I always appreciate your posts for the genuine knowledge you bring to the table. I see no need to read Walker's website, when we have an expert posting here on Cruise Critic! Thanks for all your time (and patience!) when there is a cruise ship incident!:)

Great video, though you can tell who the British passengers are, all queued up waiting to see the damage.:D

Was the list because of a storm/waves?

And a reminder to everyone that ocean going vessels, like aircraft, are designed for conditions that are worse than anything they'd intentionally put passengers through.

I'm currently on the ship as well (can't sleep and wi fi is pretty impressive in my deck 3 cabin!). It was scary for a few moments as I felt like I was standing instead of lying down and had some stuff tossed but I felt bad for the first time cruisers. I met this one couple on their first and last cruise. She couldn't stop crying and said she'd disembark and go home at the next stop if they let her. The staff did a great job of getting things somewhat back to normal.

The Viking Crown lounge was my spot during the day so I'm very sad to see the damage and that it's closed off. Rumour is the glass won't get replaced until we reach Athens.

We still don't know what exactly caused it. Yes, there was a storm, but the Captain has been rather quiet all day, so hopefully some explanation soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi guys,

We are currently on day 4 of Rhapsody's round trip out of Venice, have an inside cabin on deck 7.

About 5am this morning there was a severe list as we were travelling through a low pressure storm. Some stuff was flying across our room, wardrobe door flying open. Luckily I am a tidy person and keep the dresser top clear so no broken glass.

Captain came on and made 3 announcements telling us everything was under control and to explain what was causing the problem.

Oh my, we only went up on deck an hour ago. There is damage to the Viking crown lounge, 12 large windows have gone through. Several smaller windows on the pool deck have gone through.

Everyone is okay, not heard of any injuries.

Today is a sea day, tomorrow is/was Santorini. Priority is to repair the ship and keep everyone safe so if the itinerary is not altered I would be surprised.Will see what happens.

That's quite a bit of damage Heather. Was the wind blowing so hard as to blow out the windows or has the Captain said? I'm sure you recall we were on Rhapsody in April when the deck 3 cabin windows burst. With all the cruises you've sailed, it's quite rare when a storm breaks so many windows, isn't it? :eek: It's frightening to think of water pouring in and running down stairs and elevator shafts - I'm so glad everyone's OK.

Edited by MindyJohn

I'm currently on the ship as well (can't sleep and wi fi is pretty impressive in my deck 3 cabin!). It was scary for a few moments as I felt like I was standing instead of lying down and had some stuff tossed but I felt bad for the first time cruisers. I met this one couple on their first and last cruise. She couldn't stop crying and said she'd disembark and go home at the next stop if they let her. The staff did a great job of getting things somewhat back to normal.

The Viking Crown lounge was my spot during the day so I'm very sad to see the damage and that it's closed off. Rumour is the glass won't get replaced until we reach Athens.

We still don't know what exactly caused it. Yes, there was a storm, but the Captain has been rather quiet all day, so hopefully some explanation soon.

Thank you for your eyewitness account!

Hi everyone from Santorini!! Yes we made it, nothing cancelled.

The maintenance people were measuring the windows this morning to have the glass ready for replacement in Athens tomorrow.

Concierge lounge has been amalgamated into Diamond lounge with the door open in to the Shall We Dance lounge to provide more seating.

The blowers are still in some areas to dry the carpets.

The crew have been brilliant, just so glad it happened in the early hours and not when the pool deck was full of guests . They would have been showered with glass.

I am not going to guess how/ why it happened. We were in bed in an inside cabin so could not see the weather out side. All I can say is it was not rocking and rolling like you would expect in rough sees. We have experienced worse. I was not afraid, I just said to John it was serious what ever was happening.

I was listening out for any call signs from the crew and there was nothing other than Captain explaining the situation. The announcements did not come into the room so I had to keep opening the door to listen so missed some of it. I was in my underwear and did not want to frighten anyone!!

Back to the cruise.

We were on the Rhapsody on 25th April, and were disembarked after our cabin was flooded. We are booked on our do-over cruise on the Rhapsody on the 26th, so interested to see what happens now

Don't worry all will be fine with the repairs by the time you board.

In the Windjammer they lost an ice/water machine so are having to use the old plastic container for iced water.

Once the windows are all replaced the Centrum dance floor can reopen. There is still music there with the group playing just no activities on the dance floor .

All activities are in the deck 6 Shall we Dance lounge .

We still had a pool deck party last night with dancing !!

That's all good to hear

One of my abiding memories of us being evacuated was turning around to find my husband fully dressed up to his waterproof jacket, except he didn't have any trousers on! glad he didn't scare the corridor with his underpants!

The maintenance people were measuring the windows this morning to have the glass ready for replacement in Athens tomorrow.

Concierge lounge has been amalgamated into Diamond lounge with the door open in to the Shall We Dance lounge to provide more seating.

The crew have been brilliant, just so glad it happened in the early hours and not when the pool deck was full of guests . They would have been showered with glass.

I am not going to guess how/ why it happened. We were in bed in an inside cabin so could not see the weather out side. All I can say is it was not rocking and rolling like you would expect in rough sees. We have experienced worse. I was not afraid, I just said to John it was serious what ever was happening.

I was listening out for any call signs from the crew and there was nothing other than Captain explaining the situation. The announcements did not come into the room so I had to keep opening the door to listen so missed some of it. I was in my underwear and did not want to frighten anyone!!

Back to the cruise.

You've got a good sense of humor. Get back to us if you find out as to what caused the issues.

I'm currently on the ship as well

Thank you Virtopia!! That's right, forgot you were on this cruise after you had looked for a lot of Europe advice on the past year here on CC... are you going to do a review?! And Heather, thanks for update.

Where was the ship exactly when the storm hit?

Maybe Virtopia remembers, but in my Serenade review I posted my night about 5 hours out of Kotor on the Adriatic Coast and the Serenade had listed quite badly in the middle of the night and stayed listed for a long while. The Captain mentioned that winds sometimes coming down off of the mountains ridge creates havoc during storms.. after all the ship with so little draft is just a big sail above the water line. I'm wondering if you were perhaps in the same approximate area?

Back to the cruise.

Enjoy your day in beautiful Santorini !!!

Thank you Virtopia!! That's right, forgot you were on this cruise after you had looked for a lot of Europe advice on the past year here on CC... are you going to do a review?! And Heather, thanks for update.

Maybe Virtopia remembers, but in my Serenade review I posted my night about 5 hours out of Kotor on the Adriatic Coast and the Serenade had listed quite badly in the middle of the night and stayed listed for a long while. The Captain mentioned that winds sometimes coming down off of the mountains ridge creates havoc during storms.. after all the ship with so little draft is just a big sail above the water line. I'm wondering if you were perhaps in the same approximate area?

I'm doing a full review when I get back, have already started to write it. Having the time of my life!! Just came off the tender after my second trip over ... absolutely love Santorini [emoji7]

Unless I haven't been paying attention, I have yet to hear the captain specifically say what happened. I will make it a point to attend the Captains Talk. Kotor for us is on Saturday.

Given the description in the CC news report from RCI "sudden strong winds for a short time", this could be the katabatic "Bora" wind that the Adriatic experiences from time to time.

I'm doing a full review when I get back, have already started to write it. Having the time of my life!! Just came off the tender after my second trip over ... absolutely love Santorini [emoji7]

Unless I haven't been paying attention, I have yet to hear the captain specifically say what happened. I will make it a point to attend the Captains Talk. Kotor for us is on Saturday.

Virtopia - who is the captain?

Given the description in the CC news report from RCI "sudden strong winds for a short time", this could be the katabatic "Bora" wind that the Adriatic experiences from time to time.

There was no apparent wind and it was lake-like smooth for our sail-in to Kotor in late May. We took a seemingly gentle starboard turn (in the channel near the port - between mountains) and the ship listed quite heavily. Couldn't figure why that would happen.

There was no apparent wind and it was lake-like smooth for our sail-in to Kotor in late May. We took a seemingly gentle starboard turn (in the channel near the port - between mountains) and the ship listed quite heavily. Couldn't figure why that would happen.

Don't know the waters, so just guessing here. How fast was the ship going, and how much of a turn did it make (30*, 90*)? Was this a "marked" channel (i.e. buoys)? I take your statement about the wind to be that "apparently there was no wind" because of the smooth surface, and not "there was no apparent wind (meaning the wind actually felt onboard a moving object), because a large change in heading could move a 12 knot tail wind (zero apparent if the ship is at 12 knots), to a 12 knot beam wind.

Any ship that is traveling at about 12 knots or more, and uses more than about 5-10* of rudder, will heel over from the turn. This can be exacerbated if the ship is in a narrow, relatively shallow channel as the ship will experience "canal effect" where the flow of water between the hull and the side of the channel will create a low pressure and suck the ship towards the side of the channel, increasing the sideways force on the ship and increasing the tipping moment.

We were on the Rhapsody on 25th April, and were disembarked after our cabin was flooded. We are booked on our do-over cruise on the Rhapsody on the 26th, so interested to see what happens now

Ruthie--I thought of you immediatley when I first saw this thread. :eek: I remembered you had booked a cruise for the fall.

I thought --please do not let her be on this cruise. :D

^ the other reason it felt out of place is because there were other turns on the way in which I didn't feel the list/heel. We were doing about 10-12 knots and it was about a 90 deg turn, but the whole way in (about an hour) there were similar turns where there didn't seem to be any list/heel.

Ruthie--I thought of you immediatley when I first saw this thread. :eek: I remembered you had booked a cruise for the fall.

I thought --please do not let her be on this cruise. :D

If I had been on this cruise i think I would have cried!

^ the other reason it felt out of place is because there were other turns on the way in which I didn't feel the list/heel. We were doing about 10-12 knots and it was about a 90 deg turn, but the whole way in (about an hour) there were similar turns where there didn't seem to be any list/heel.

It could also be where in the channel the turn was made, and what the current was doing. If there was a significant current, and the turn placed the ship across the current, again in a narrow/shallow channel, you could get some heel from the current acting on the side of the ship. Interesting.