Bringing food on board

TVNews

LOL.... Just dont make the mistake we did. On out last New Zealand cruise we picked up some great chedder cheeses from the "Wicked Cheese Company".

We made the mistake of putting it out a couple times on our table during sail away. Poof... All gone! (Sooooo much better than anything on the ship!)

At which port did you purchase the cheddar?

I may spell it wrong, baklava in Athens. Everything was sticky, my hands, purse and card. They just passed me through. They did not want that sticky mess on the belt. Some nice person pressed the elevator button for me. The cabin person opened the door with his card.

The 1st Insulated bag I bought at a Super Walmart. It was on display in the Ice Cream Isle.

The 3 that I currently use are gifts provided by Special Needs at Sea (my medical supplier when we cruise.) They are the best ever!!!

They look similar to this:

[ATTACH]394614[/ATTACH]

We buy our Gouda right at the port in St Maartens. There is a little corner style convenience store there and the cheese is in a cooler at the back of the store. Roger says 1 round is about $30.00 per round, which works out to about $4.50 per pound instead of approximately $16.00 at stateside prices.

I do not know of any other port to buy Gouda at since we only buy ours in St Maarten. We found out about St Maarten from dear friends we met on the Oosterdam on our first cruise in 2008 who live in San Juan PR. Their son flies to St Maarten twice a year to stock up for his family members:)

Also, about the fudge. I always hand carry my fudge in my carry on bag. AINT NO WAY IN HADES I will trust my fudge in Checked baggage. It is sooooooooo good that it would never make it to my home....

I do not know if it could be shipped home, but why take the chance at having a melted box of goo instead of dreamy fudge? :)

Joanie

Thanks Joanie..I believe your store is where my Friend bought his Gouda last time in St. Martin..

I'll look around the other two ports maybe there would be a little store which sells Gouda since they are both Dutch ports.. Will try to find someone on HAL who might know where to get the good Dutch Gouda in the other ports..

Found a place...Just googled Aruba Gouda Cheese & found this blog:

Quote: J.L. Q ,

Ft Lauderdale

Dutch Gouda cheese wheels in Orangestad

Sep 15, 2013, 6:32 AM

I was here about 7 years ago and was fortunate to be traveling with a friend who's a native Aruban. One of the things he did with me was to visit a local grocery store. I don't remember the store's name but do remember it sat on the north side of a street that ran west from the downtown cruise ship port.

At his urging, I bought a gouda cheese wheel in the dairy section of the store and put it in the small fridge in my room for the rest of the sailing. The medium wheel cost me about $35 but it was the richest cheese I've ever tasted. I tell all my friends going there to do the same thing but I just can't remember the name of the grocery. I also remember they had a large alcohol section that surprised me when I found Absinthe in it! Can anyone remember which store this might be?

Unquote

I'm going to try to find the store..

None whatsoever:)

We always make sure that at least once a year we make sure that one of our stops in the Caribbean goes to St Maartens so we can pick up Gouda cheese.

When we get the Gouda we buy at least 3 rounds (prepackaged in 3 kilo rounds) IF, and I repeat IF, the ship has a Shore and Store policy (not all HAL ships do, it depends upon the Hotel and COM Managers) they will store them for you in the galley.) IF they do not have it, we always bring 3 large refrigerated insulated bages with us which we keep filled with ice in the shower stall until disembarkation. We declare them with customs and breeze right through with no problems. Per Customs, as long as they are still in original packaged seals they are fine to bring off the ship into the US. Have done this several times so.....

We also like to pick up some of the local goodies at other stops to snack on while relaxing on the verandah.

As long as it is legal, you are allowed tyo bring it on. Just remember you cannot take food off the ship UNLESS it is still sealed in the original packaging.

Joanie

Joanie, would you please share where in St. Maarten you purchased the Gouda? We're going there in February and may purchase some for the cruise. We won't be purchasing even one round as we will be in St Maarten on Day 6 of a 21 day cruise, won't have the extra shower stall to store the cheese and ultimately have to get it through US AND Canadian Customs! Too much hassle for us. But a wedge or two for snacking would be great.

You cqn buy rounds of gouda cheese in Curacao rigfht a Rif fort. If you docke there, as you browse past tthahe sahops on your way tothe floatingbridgwe,you will see a little cxhheese shopon your leftf and door is always open when we pass by. they sell Rounds I always keep insulated zzip top bags in my car trunk for greeoc eryfshopping in summer. I put some blue ice keep cold blocks and gold food keeps until I gget home. .

Joanie, you've got me thinking & planning.. Where do you get your insulated bags which hold the rounds?

We will not be in St Maartens but will be in Orenjestad, Aruba & Willemstad, Curacao on our Oct 19 cruise on the Zuiderdam.. I love Gouda & usually buy a little wedge for myself, but would love to get a round for our Friend's who will not be with us this cruise..

MY Friend's DH loves gouda & always buys a round to bring home..We will be at their house for Christmas.. A round of Gouda, some imported salami, a nice wine & crackers, will make a good gift for them..

Does anyone know where I can get a round of Gouda in either Aruba or Curacao?

Thanks

As sail7seas mentioned, there was a shop right on the pier, very close to the ship, when we were in Curacao last year. The only problem with it was that they closed at around 1130a or noon, and as we were walking to town, did not buy the cheese there. We found some on a side street downtown.

Publix sells insulated, zip top bags, for $2 or $3. We always take one along...can never have enough ice!!!

Hmm.

Anyone recommend something like a sweet pepper jam that might be available in typical Caribbean ports? I'll be doing an eastern and a western back to back next month, and whenever I'm hitting the cheese section at the buffet I always wish I had some pepper jam.

(I know I could bring some sealed from home, but buying it in a port might be more fun.)

In Aruba there is a grocery store on the second street in from the port. I walk through the mall on the right to the other street. You can get rounds of cheese there and wedges.

When we get a round of cheese in St Maarten, we put it in the mini fridge after we have the bar items removed.

Unfortunately, it only fits one wheel. Best souvenir of our cruise!

I know it seems like more food would be the last thing you'd need on a cruise but DW and I like the idea of picking up local specialties (eg. Iberico ham in Spain) to enjoy on our balcony with a glass of wine. What's HAL's policy on bringing meat and cheese on board from ports of call? Any restrictions?

Pretty sure you are OK bringing them on board, but bringing the ham into the US might be a problem

Unless I bought 10 lbs I wouldn't have a problem with "taking them off" Meat & cheese & wine would be gooooonnnnnnnneeeee..........

You cqn buy rounds of gouda cheese in Curacao rigfht a Rif fort. If you docke there, as you browse past tthahe sahops on your way tothe floatingbridgwe,you will see a little cxhheese shopon your leftf and door is always open when we pass by. they sell Rounds I always keep insulated zzip top bags in my car trunk for greeoc eryfshopping in summer. I put some blue ice keep cold blocks and gold food keeps until I gget home. .

As sail7seas mentioned, there was a shop right on the pier, very close to the ship, when we were in Curacao last year. The only problem with it was that they closed at around 1130a or noon, and as we were walking to town, did not buy the cheese there. We found some on a side street downtown.

Publix sells insulated, zip top bags, for $2 or $3. We always take one along...can never have enough ice!!!

Thank you Sail & Mrs. Walkman & thank you OV Girl for the Aruba store..

Hmm.

Anyone recommend something like a sweet pepper jam that might be available in typical Caribbean ports? I'll be doing an eastern and a western back to back next month, and whenever I'm hitting the cheese section at the buffet I always wish I had some pepper jam.

(I know I could bring some sealed from home, but buying it in a port might be more fun.)

OMG.. I love sweet pepper jam or jelly! I agree buying it in port is more fun!

You all a making me Hungry! Back later will DH & me some lunch..:D:D

Joanie, would you please share where in St. Maarten you purchased the Gouda? We're going there in February and may purchase some for the cruise. We won't be purchasing even one round as we will be in St Maarten on Day 6 of a 21 day cruise, won't have the extra shower stall to store the cheese and ultimately have to get it through US AND Canadian Customs! Too much hassle for us. But a wedge or two for snacking would be great.

I purchase Joanie's Gouda cheese at a small shop that is hidden behind the Tourist Information Counter. As you exit the pier, look to your right and you will see a few stairs up to the counter (about 100 feet from the welcome sign). Walk around behind the counter into the small covered mall. One of the few very small shops is similar to a mini-mart and has a small cooler with Gouda cheese rounds.

With other ships in port, the cheese purchase is the first stop before any excursions to ensure that Gouda is still available. Round trip to buy cheese should not take longer than 30 minutes. Recommend you take a roller bag.

I purchase Joanie's Gouda cheese at a small shop that is hidden behind the Tourist Information Counter. As you exit the pier, look to your right and you will see a few stairs up to the counter (about 100 feet from the welcome sign). Walk around behind the counter into the small covered mall. One of the few very small shops is similar to a mini-mart and has a small cooler with Gouda cheese rounds.

With other ships in port, the cheese purchase is the first stop before any excursions to ensure that Gouda is still available. Round trip to buy cheese should not take longer than 30 minutes. Recommend you take a roller bag.

Thanks, Crew News! Hopefully, they'll have wedges of cheese. We won't have a cooler on the cruise. We're also going to Aruba so we can pick up some more cheese there.

Thanks, Crew News! Hopefully, they'll have wedges of cheese. We won't have a cooler on the cruise. We're also going to Aruba so we can pick up some more cheese there.

Collapsible coolers fit nicely in you luggage and the HAL Room Stewards will have no problem keeping it filled with ice.

The full wheels of Gouda do fine if they are not refrigerated for 24 hours in our experience during travel home.

Collapsible coolers fit nicely in you luggage and the HAL Room Stewards will have no problem keeping it filled with ice.

The full wheels of Gouda do fine if they are not refrigerated for 24 hours in our experience during travel home.

Yes, I'm sure they will keep during the travel home. However, we will be in St Maarten on Day 6 of a 21 day cruise in an OV cabin on the Rotterdam. Not only that, I have to take them through both US and Canadian customs which would add additional stress. I'll do some research but, while we like gouda cheese, it's probably not worth it for us. If I can get a wedge or a much smaller round, that would be sufficient.

Hate to be so dumb but trying to figure out what size collapsible cooler to get now.. I can get either get the cooler bags at Publix for a couple of dollars or get a 24 can collapsible cooler at Walmart for around $9..

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-24-Can-Collapsible-Cooler-with-Cold-Sensor/20637059

They also have 16 can sizes of collapsible coolers..

Unfortunately, It does not give the dimensions of those coolers & I don't know how wide the rounds of gouda are either..

I know there is no problem bringing them into the U.S. as our Friends have done it numerous times but they put the rounds of cheese in plastic bags & in with their clothes after keeping it in the HAL cooler during their cruise.. If I ask my Friend, she will know something is up & I want to get it for her & her DH.. Might even get a couple more pieces to take home for our annual Christmas bash..

I have a big collapsible cooler on wheels that I keep in my car.. Use it here in SW Florida every week when I go grocery shopping for frozen things & perishables, but it's much too big to take on the cruise..

Anyone know the dimensions of both..

Crew News , The OP & Joanie started a great thread here..:D:D Thanks to all of you & the others who chimed in with excellent suggestions..:):)

It's refreshing not to have any contention on a thread..

Edited by serendipity1499

wHYlall this stresas to bring home gouda? I c an buy all I could wanr in any num er of markets in my area. Don't you h ave any shop wth good cheese sele4ctionn?Gouda is not a rare, hard to find c heese

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, I'm sure they will keep during the travel home. However, we will be in St Maarten on Day 6 of a 21 day cruise in an OV cabin on the Rotterdam. Not only that, I have to take them through both US and Canadian customs which would add additional stress. I'll do some research but, while we like gouda cheese, it's probably not worth it for us. If I can get a wedge or a much smaller round, that would be sufficient.

I can save you some trouble and tell you that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency allows it:

Dairy products

cheese:

• up to 20 kilograms per person

Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.

These items are not allowed

• milk

milk products (whey, cream, skim milk, butter oil, and so on)

in these forms: dried, frozen, reconstituted, or fresh

As weight is always an issue when flying these days, I suspect that we will enjoy some Gouda in November when we visit all three of the ABC islands, but won't be lugging any wheels home.

Unfortunately, It does not give the dimensions of those coolers & I don't know how wide the rounds of gouda are either..

Anyone know the dimensions of both..

Crew News , The OP & Joanie started a great thread here..:D:D Thanks to all of you & the others who chimed in with excellent suggestions..:):)

It's refreshing not to have any contention on a thread..

The Gouda cheese wheels are approx 12" diameter and 6" high.

Save yourselves THE TROUBLE.

a v verY QUICK SEARCH tURNED UP LOtS OF c HOIces to order a whole wheel of gouda and get it delivered. http://www.bing.com/search?q=buy+whels+of+gouda+cheese&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&pc=EUPP_

Why should I pay triple the $$$ amount when I can buy as much as I want for so little.

US Prices are ridiculous when it comes to Gouda:)

Joanie