Bringing food on board

TVNews

wHYlall this stresas to bring home gouda? I c an buy all I could wanr in any num er of markets in my area. Don't you h ave any shop wth good cheese sele4ctionn?Gouda is not a rare, hard to find c heese

Save yourselves THE TROUBLE.

a v verY QUICK SEARCH tURNED UP LOtS OF c HOIces to order a whole wheel of gouda and get it delivered. http://www.bing.com/search?q=buy+whels+of+gouda+cheese&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&pc=EUPP_

First of all why are you so concerned about me & others having trouble by purchasing something when out of the country.. It's no trouble but I like to be prepared.. Also look at the prices of the Real Dutch Aged gouda here in the states..

My very good Friends who normally travel with us always bring a good Dutch aged Gouda wheel home from St. Martin.. But they are not traveling with us this time, due to illness in the family & we are not going to St. Martin... I want to purchase a wheel in a Dutch colony & make a nice basket with other things in it for them for Christmas.. We always go to their house on Christmas Day & I know they would get a kick out of having the best Aged Gouda from either Aruba or Curacao...

Of course we have places which specialize in cheese.. A good aged Dutch Gouda wheel in the states is approx. $80 to $90 ($20-$25 per pound)... I'm looking to get a wheel in Aruba or Curacao for $30 to $35... All Gouda's are not the same.. Some of those on the WEB site are domestic gouda, which does not taste the same.. Also plan on getting some for myself & a bit more to serve at our annual Christmas Boat Parade Party.. While other Psgrs. might bring back liquor &/or Jewelry, we don't need any more liquor or Jewelry.. So I plan to bring back cheese instead..:D And the nice thing is we drive home from the port...

Edited by serendipity1499

With all this discussion about Gouda cheese, I can happily report that it's really good in Gouda!! We overdosed on it when there on an Koningsdam shore excursion back in May. We did bring it back to the ship with no problem and none of it needed to be taken back off the ship. . .

Finding a bargain on anything luxurious or luscious to enjoy on ship or bring home (cheese, wine, chocolate all come to mind) from a cruise sounds heavenly and worth a wee bit of extra effort. Everyone cruises their own way and enjoys different things... and isn't that wonderful?! I personally have enjoyed reading about the Gouda adventures. :D

Why should I pay triple the $$$ amount when I can buy as much as I want for so little.

US Prices are ridiculous when it comes to Gouda:)

Joanie

Entirely your c hoice, of course, b ut ease and con v enienc e has very real value to some of us. I've been tothe c heese shshops i;n Curacao and St. Marten but the c heese shop onmy computer isi my first c hoi c e.

I cdon'gt know what ou call rideiculous prices but I don't necessarily think the cost all that high to get what I want with ease.

Edited by sail7seas

Why should I pay triple the $$$ amount when I can buy as much as I want for so little.

US Prices are ridiculous when it comes to Gouda:)

Joanie

With all this discussion about Gouda cheese, I can happily report that it's really good in Gouda!! We overdosed on it when there on an Koningsdam shore excursion back in May. We did bring it back to the ship with no problem and none of it needed to be taken back off the ship. . .

n

One of our reips to The Netherlands, we visited and toured a c heese farm. The cheese samples we had were,, indeed wonderful.

Edited by sail7seas

OMG.. I love sweet pepper jam or jelly! I agree buying it in port is more fun!

You all a making me Hungry! Back later will DH & me some lunch..:D:D

Just go into any local grocery store; there usually is at least one in the port area. They often have a wonderful selection of island made staples, including pepper jellies, vinegar sauces, and jerk type rubs and seasonings. When I'm in Barbados, I make it a point to try to hit the grocery store for some "Junior's Lime Vinegar", which is dirt cheap, locally made, and is fantastic for pickling cucumbers. Matouks brand, from Trinidad, is known for their HOT sauce, but I know that I've also gotten a sweet, hot chutney from them which would be great on your cheese plate. Can't remember the name of it off-hand, and I don't have any left in my pantry :(.

My last large gouda from Curacao fit into my Publix insulated bag, although it made the sides swell out a little bit :).

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I kept that gouda for around a year in the refrigerator before I finally broke open the wax seal and rounded it out for a keshi yena meal: http://www.visitaruba.com/aruba-recipes/keshi-yena-filled-cheese-shell/

It was still great; not a speck of mold, creamy, not crumbly, and it tasted WONDERFUL!

It's ok to bring on board & if the ham is vacuum packed I'm sure you can bring it into the U.S.. But never plants or vegtables unless they are in cans..

Actually, no - sorta.

Canned meats are OK but Iberian ham (I know - tasty stuff!) is restricted.

From the US Customs and Border Patrol site:

•Parma, Iberian or Serrano hams - Call 301-851-3300 or toll-free at 877-770-5990. Only certain plants are certified exporters, and the hams must be accompanied by certificates and seals.

None whatsoever:)

We always make sure that at least once a year we make sure that one of our stops in the Caribbean goes to St Maartens so we can pick up Gouda cheese.

When we get the Gouda we buy at least 3 rounds (prepackaged in 3 kilo rounds) IF, and I repeat IF, the ship has a Shore and Store policy (not all HAL ships do, it depends upon the Hotel and COM Managers) they will store them for you in the galley.) IF they do not have it, we always bring 3 large refrigerated insulated bages with us which we keep filled with ice in the shower stall until disembarkation. We declare them with customs and breeze right through with no problems. Per Customs, as long as they are still in original packaged seals they are fine to bring off the ship into the US. Have done this several times so.....

We also like to pick up some of the local goodies at other stops to snack on while relaxing on the verandah.

As long as it is legal, you are allowed tyo bring it on. Just remember you cannot take food off the ship UNLESS it is still sealed in the original packaging.

Joanie

Joanie where in St. Maarten do you buy your cheese, will be there soon and I want to get some. Linda

Joanie where in St. Maarten do you buy your cheese, will be there soon and I want to get some. Linda

I purchase Joanie's Gouda cheese at a small shop that is hidden behind the Tourist Information Counter. As you exit the pier, look to your right and you will see a few stairs up to the counter (about 100 feet from the welcome sign). Walk around behind the counter into the small covered mall. One of the few very small shops is similar to a mini-mart and has a small cooler with Gouda cheese rounds.

With other ships in port, the cheese purchase is the first stop before any excursions to ensure that Gouda is still available. Round trip to buy cheese should not take longer than 30 minutes. Recommend you take a roller bag.

..........<SNIP>.......... keshi yena meal: http://www.visitaruba.com/aruba-recipes/keshi-yena-filled-cheese-shell/

It was still great; not a speck of mold, creamy, not crumbly, and it tasted WONDERFUL!

Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!! You have me drooling now with the recipe!!!

I am going to try and make this as soon as I get my hands upon a smaller round of Gouda:)

Joanie

This is a new one, for me. What is Manchego cheese like?

It's a Spanish cheese - a specialty - different kinds but they are all beautifully aged. A bit of a tart, dry taste but indescribably delicious. Very nice with olives, Iberian ham (another Spanish thing), etc.

It can be had here now and then but is not nearly as good and very expensive.

You can get it as a tapas in Spain. Easy to procure at most markets including the Boqueria in Barcelona and grocery stores (although I find it better at the markets).

I can guarantee you we will be eating it in ports and bringing it on board. :)

This is a new one, for me. What is Manchego cheese like?

So yummy... it's a sheep's milk cheese. The kind we have had was buttery and a bit nutty but mild. Probably one of our all time favorites.

And yes, Iberian ham is quite simply the best ham I have ever had. We have bought it in the states the same way as in Spain, sliced thin off the black pig hoof at Jungle Jim's Intentional Market outside Cincinnati. It was I think $120 lb. I remember we winced and got a whole 1/4 lb and relished every luscious nibble. :D

It's a Spanish cheese - a specialty - different kinds but they are all beautifully aged. A bit of a tart, dry taste but indescribably delicious. Very nice with olives, Iberian ham (another Spanish thing), etc.

It can be had here now and then but is not nearly as good and very expensive.

You can get it as a tapas in Spain. Easy to procure at most markets including the Boqueria in Barcelona and grocery stores (although I find it better at the markets).

I can guarantee you we will be eating it in ports and bringing it on board. :)

Mmm, I love manchego, and olives, and Iberian ham. The longer the cheese is aged, the more intense the flavor is. I have gotten some delicious cheeses at local markets in Barcelona (and yes, in the Boqueria).

I'm going to be in southern Spain in a month. I've been so busy researching the ports that I hadn't even thought about the delicious food opportunities. :D

Just go into any local grocery store; there usually is at least one in the port area. They often have a wonderful selection of island made staples, including pepper jellies, vinegar sauces, and jerk type rubs and seasonings. When I'm in Barbados, I make it a point to try to hit the grocery store for some "Junior's Lime Vinegar", which is dirt cheap, locally made, and is fantastic for pickling cucumbers. Matouks brand, from Trinidad, is known for their HOT sauce, but I know that I've also gotten a sweet, hot chutney from them which would be great on your cheese plate. Can't remember the name of it off-hand, and I don't have any left in my pantry :(.

My last large gouda from Curacao fit into my Publix insulated bag, although it made the sides swell out a little bit :).

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I kept that gouda for around a year in the refrigerator before I finally broke open the wax seal and rounded it out for a keshi yena meal: http://www.visitaruba.com/aruba-recipes/keshi-yena-filled-cheese-shell/

Thanks for the info.. I'll check out my Publix for the bags or look for a collapsible at Walmart.. I could never keep a round of Gouda for a year.. One good thing is- we have an extra fridge in the garage to keep specials like this..I can cut off pieces to keep in the house & store the rest in the other fridge..

Mmm, I love manchego, and olives, and Iberian ham. The longer the cheese is aged, the more intense the flavor is. I have gotten some delicious cheeses at local markets in Barcelona (and yes, in the Boqueria).

I'm going to be in southern Spain in a month. I've been so busy researching the ports that I hadn't even thought about the delicious food opportunities. :D

You have great taste cruisemom :)

One of the joys of the Spain, not to mention the oysters and seafood in some of our ports. We plan but we also like time to "savour the flavour".

OMG - a month in Southern Spain - you lucky thing.

If you are going to any spots that match mine and I can help,I am happy to.

I am thrilled to be going to Huelva (which some detest). We are doing the Ruta Columbina and I think it will be marvellous.

Different strokes :)

I can save you some trouble and tell you that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency allows it:

As weight is always an issue when flying these days, I suspect that we will enjoy some Gouda in November when we visit all three of the ABC islands, but won't be lugging any wheels home.

Thanks for the customs info, Fouremco! Again, I doubt we'll lug a wheel home. We like the cheese but not THAT much! I think we'll do the same as you and enjoy it after purchasing small wedges in certain ports.

I can save you some trouble and tell you that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency allows it:

As weight is always an issue when flying these days, I suspect that we will enjoy some Gouda in November when we visit all three of the ABC islands, but won't be lugging any wheels home.

Fourmenco,thank you for the valuable information. I thought all milk products were forbidden. I didn't see this on the Customs page - will go look at Canadian Food Inspection. Would be fabulous to bring some Spanish and French cheese home. Thanks :)

Fourmenco,thank you for the valuable information. I thought all milk products were forbidden. I didn't see this on the Customs page - will go look at Canadian Food Inspection. Would be fabulous to bring some Spanish and French cheese home. Thanks :)

Well you could always drive to our house & I would be happy to store it for you in our garage fridge..Then I could cut pieces off of it & send them to you in the mail... Wonder what customs & the post office, would say about that..:eek:

Only payment I would need would be me sharing a piece of it now & again..;)

Well you could always drive to our house & I would be happy to store it for you in our garage fridge..Then I could cut pieces off of it & send them to you in the mail... Wonder what customs & the post office, would say about that..:eek:

Only payment I would need would be me sharing a piece of it now & again..;)

LOL :D:) Thanks for the kind offer but we are flying home to Toronto. That's a LONG drive :). And we still need to go through Customs ;)

My pleasure. :) I used to travel to Paris on business a few times a year and would always bring back some Roquefort.

LOL :D:) Thanks for the kind offer but we are flying home to Toronto. That's a LONG drive :). And we still need to go through Customs ;)

BTW did I ever tell you that my Dad was born & raised in Toronto..You have a city on the river named after one of my Great, Great, Great Grandfathers called Brockville..

When I was a very little girl & staying across the river with a Great Aunt, my Mom & Aunt took me over there on the ferry.. My Mom bought me special shoes in Brockville that she could not get in the states, because of rationing.. Anyway I told everyone I saw, that I was related to the man in the statue, but everyone only laughed at me..

When we came back I showed off my new shoes to the U.S. Customs Inspector & Mom was mortified, but he too only laughed..

I was so hurt because everyone laughed at me, that I never went there again.. LOL

Now back to taking food on board..

BTW did I ever tell you that my Dad was born & raised in Toronto..You have a city on the river named after one of my Great, Great, Great Grandfathers called Brockville..

When I was a very little girl & staying across the river with a Great Aunt, my Mom & Aunt took me over there on the ferry.. My Mom bought me special shoes in Brockville that she could not get in the states, because of rationing.. Anyway I told everyone I saw, that I was related to the man in the statue, but everyone only laughed at me..

When we came back I showed off my new shoes to the U.S. Customs Inspector & Mom was mortified, but he too only laughed..

I was so hurt because everyone laughed at me, that I never went there again.. LOL

Now back to taking food on board..

Brockville is a great spot. Great story :) I didn't know you had a Torontonian history :)