Anniversary Questions

adam61

We normally just cruise to relax, but are cruising in about a year the week after our 10th wedding anniversary. I want it to be special so I've booked a GS on Oasis and am going to purchase a little welcome aboard gift as well. However, I was wondering if the ship or concierge typically did anything else? Not stuck up or anything, and I don't expect something, just want to know what is typical. Thanks!!

We had our silver wedding anniversary on board once. They brought us a slice of cake with a candle as well as singing happy anniversary. And then everyone at the tables round about clapped and wished us happy anniversary too. It was really nice. :)

We just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary on the Oasis and they did nothing for us! We noted it was our anniversary when we booked the cruise. It may have been because of the fact that we were not assigned a table for dinner prior to cruising. We were scheduled for 6:00 dining time but somehow our reservation slipped through the cracks and we were seated in a walkway the first night then assigned a regular table afterwards. This was our 8th cruise with Royal. We were very disappointed with many things including the service on this cruise. All prior cruises were wonderful so the changes were a huge disappointment. Currently looking at other cruse lines.

Edited by ktkcruisers

We normally just cruise to relax, but are cruising in about a year the week after our 10th wedding anniversary. I want it to be special so I've booked a GS on Oasis and am going to purchase a little welcome aboard gift as well. However, I was wondering if the ship or concierge typically did anything else? Not stuck up or anything, and I don't expect something, just want to know what is typical. Thanks!!

If you tell the waiter it's our anniversary they might bring dessert with a candle in it, or "happy anniversary" spelled out in chocolate around the edge of the plate or something.

But otherwise, the staff won't automatically do anything for birthdays or anniversaries, and it makes sense if you think about it- Oasis can carry 5600 passengers. That means on average, 15 pax have a birthday each day, or over 100 each week, in addition to wedding anniversaries and other special celebrations. That's a lot of people to try to do something special, not to mention that some people don't like a lot of public attention and wouldn't want them to do anything that draws attention. ;)

We just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary on the Oasis and they did nothing for us! We noted it was our anniversary when we booked the cruise. It may have been because of the fact that we were not assigned a table for dinner prior to cruising....

No. it's because they don't do anything anyway. Those that tell of a little something are lucky to have been recognized, but we have cruised many times and noted special occasions in our reservation, and nothing. You're not alone.

I just wish they would remove that from the reservation - nothing like getting one's hopes up, hey? :(

No. it's because they don't do anything anyway. Those that tell of a little something are lucky to have been recognized, but we have cruised many times and noted special occasions in our reservation, and nothing. You're not alone.

I just wish they would remove that from the reservation - nothing like getting one's hopes up, hey? :(

I agree "if you're celebrating anything" should be removed from the reservation. I think that those who have the birthday/anniversary recognized on board have it done because someone mentions it to the waiter/head waiter......not because it was noted in the reservation.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I agree that "if you're celebrating anything" should be removed from the reservation...

Yes... I always feel bad when a new RCI cruiser says their special day wasn't recognized when they thought it would be. :( I mean, we know now because we've cruised a fair amount, but newbies do not and it makes me feel bad for them.

Yes. However, I did ask the maître d why they bother to ask and do nothing...he said, "wait here, don't go away" then came back with a decent bottle of wine.:)

On another line we found balloons and a nice Happy Anniversary sign on our door.

Family members told our room Steward it was my Birthday and upon entering our room that evening, she had made up a Towel Cake with sparkles and a big banner which we took home. We couldn't believe how much effort she had put into this. Then again she was a wonderful room steward, best we had ever had.

If you tell the waiter it's our anniversary they might bring dessert with a candle in it, or "happy anniversary" spelled out in chocolate around the edge of the plate or something.

But otherwise, the staff won't automatically do anything for birthdays or anniversaries, and it makes sense if you think about it- Oasis can carry 5600 passengers. That means on average, 15 pax have a birthday each day, or over 100 each week, in addition to wedding anniversaries and other special celebrations. That's a lot of people to try to do something special, not to mention that some people don't like a lot of public attention and wouldn't want them to do anything that draws attention. ;)

I agree.

Definitely seems to be a bit of the luck of the draw. We did mention it on our booking and as soon as our waiter introduced himself on the first evening he commented on our anniversary and asked us if we would be eating in the MDR on that evening. Then on the evening in question, all 3 of our wait staff (head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter) came along with the cake, candle and song.

To you and about 1/3 of the ship. The rest will be sung " Happy Birthday "....:)

That seems like a needlessly belittling way to say it. Being that I cruise regularly around our anniversary, they have always sung directly to us and us alone. Now there maybe others in the dining room that night, but its not a group sing to anyone celebrating something.

It was noted at the time we made our reservation more than a year in advance and we didn't have to tell the wait about it. We just had our 35th anniversary on Oasis Last May.

Hi Mick, great to 'hear' from you! Hope all is well - we must catch up on another cruise - but no Jimmy with the red G-string, right :D

Cheers

Sailing on the Ovation leaving 23rd January 2017 for 5 nights, join us! No more shirts or G-strings, freaks people out :eek:

We just celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary on the Oasis and they did nothing for us! We noted it was our anniversary when we booked the cruise. It may have been because of the fact that we were not assigned a table for dinner prior to cruising. We were scheduled for 6:00 dining time but somehow our reservation slipped through the cracks and we were seated in a walkway the first night then assigned a regular table afterwards. This was our 8th cruise with Royal. We were very disappointed with many things including the service on this cruise. All prior cruises were wonderful so the changes were a huge disappointment. Currently looking at other cruse lines.

Gosh, I understand how you feel! We had the same thing happen on our land vacation for our 25th Anniv. Expecting something on a special milestone and not getting that acknowledgement is disappointing. I don't blame you a bit for shopping for something else. Some will write off your feelings but I know exactly how you feel!

If you mentioned a special anniversary, etc. to your travel agent, it would be nice if they jumped in to do something for you.

It's our 20th anniversary on our next cruise which I did mention to our TA. Since we've booked last 10 cruises with him, wonder if he will do anything. Guess I shouldn't hold my breathe!

NJ

Gosh, I understand how you feel! We had the same thing happen on our land vacation for our 25th Anniv. Expecting something on a special milestone and not getting that acknowledgement is disappointing. I don't blame you a bit for shopping for something else. Some will write off your feelings but I know exactly how you feel!

Thank you for understanding! We were also disappointed with the itinerary. We booked the cruise looking forward to St. Kitts and St. Thomas. We had great excursions planned. Ship diverted to Labadee and San Juan due to weather issues and a sick passenger which I completely understand. Unfortunately the excursions we booked were not available in the new ports and they were not ports we would have chosen and paid that much money to go to. Yes the Oasis is fun even if you didn't take excursions but we were definitely looking forward to the catamaran and snorkeling excursions! It would have been a great anniversary celebration! Royal Caribbean did not offer anything for any future cruises to make up for the missed ports. That would have been nice. Our neighbors cruise a different line and love them! Looks like we'll give it a try.

This was our first "late summer' cruise. We've always cruised in the spring time prior to this. We will not go on another late summer cruise due to the possibility/probability of bad weather again.

BTW, Happy 25th Anniversary! It's so nice to be married to your best friend!