How safe are possessions while at the beach?

ForeverAfter

Obviously we plan to bring as little as possible, but I'm thinking we'll have a small amount of cash, ID's, phones, and a camera. We're bringing snorkel gear, so if we're all in the water together how safe is it to leave our things on the beach? Specifically St. Martin, Labadee and Bermuda.

Obviously we plan to bring as little as possible, but I'm thinking we'll have a small amount of cash, ID's, phones, and a camera. We're bringing snorkel gear, so if we're all in the water together how safe is it to leave our things on the beach? Specifically St. Martin, Labadee and Bermuda.

You should be OK, just stay away from Martinique.

Just because you are on vacation does not mean crime is also on vacation. I don't think most people would leave their cameras, cash and ID's on the beach at any stateside beach. You shouldn't assume it is safe at any other beach. Get a waterproof container to stash all that stuff in and wear around your neck or waist or leave it with someone you trust while you are all in the water.

Picture this....Meagan's Bay...about 6 years ago...splashing in the water with a friend...

My friend says "Don't you have a small black bag with a white logo on it?" I replied "Yes". He replied "Well that little old lady is walking away with it!"

I ran out of the water and after a little old lady who not only had my bag, but my leather sandals. "EXCUSE ME...THAT IS MY BAG!" "Oh is it? I though it was my friends". I had to physically grab it back from her. [she still had the sandals] "AND MY SANDALS?" And I grabbed those back as well. She just walked away.

We were only yards from the towels on the sand. My bathing suit had no pockets. That bag had EVERYTHING in it...ID, Credit card, Ship card, a little cash...

Megan's Bay in St Thomas is a cab ride away to a fairly private area...there's no street traffic or anything and I have to the meet the little old lady who steals wallets from the movie "Dirty Dancing"!

Yes!!! You have to watch your stuff everywhere!

HLR

Cruise ships visit poor islands where people lack opportunities that we take for granted -- and, sadly, some of those people turn to crime. Do not assume your valuables are safe on the beach. To keep yourself safe:

- Leave your passport (or other ID) in your ship safe. As you need it to return to the US, it's the one thing you really can't afford to lose.

- Whatever money you think you'll need, carry on your person -- I make sure my husband's swim trunks have a secure pocket (zippered or other).

- I recently bought a small waist-bag to hold my phone and keys at the gym, and I'm thinking of taking it for in-the-water use on our next cruise. It isn't waterproof, and it's not attractive, so I wouldn't wear it except for actual water time ... but I'm thinking it'd be a place to keep money secure (in a plastic baggie). It might be ruined in the water, but it only cost about $5, so I could afford the loss.

- Split your money between two adults so that if one is robbed, the other will still have funds.

- Bring a disposable camera; no thief wants to steal that.

- No thief wants your towel, flip-flops or sunscreen.

- Thieves are wise to the idea of sunscreen-bottles-made-into-cash-holders, but they won't spend lots of time searching through your bag; rather, they want to grab and go.

- Wear a waterproof watch and leave your cell phone onboard.

My bathing suit had no pockets.
I don't mean to blame the victim, but men's swimsuits with secure pockets are easy to find -- and the security is worth the cost of a new set of trunks!

"I thought they belonged to my friend." What an obvious lie. Where's the friend, little old lady?

Google KYSS bags, I love mine. Although it's not Fort Knox, I figure it makes my stuff less attractive to easy theft.
I'm thinking of buying one of those -- but I still wouldn't leave valuables in it. It's true that locks only keep out honest people, but they can make the thief move on to the next, easier target.

For snorkel/beach time we take a small amount of cash, a credit card, sea passes and our ids. These all fit in a water wallet that we have anyway from when we go to waterparks. I carry it around my neck, tucked into the top of my swim suit. Our camera is waterproof and my husband takes that into the water. The only thing we leave on the beach are towels, sunscreen, water, etc. It is a lot more fun and safer to snorkel together.

There are many different kinds of waterproof bags that you can put your money, credit card and sea pass in. We have had a small aquapac for years that can hold all that plus a cell phone. It cost $20 and has a lanyard and a caribiner. We also have an underwater camera that we use, DSLR stays on the ship unless someone is not going to go swimming.

To the OP, do not take all that stuff to the beach unless someone is going to be sitting with it. Invest in a waterproof bag that is big enough to carry what you can not do without.

There are many different kinds of waterproof bags that you can put your money, credit card and sea pass in. We have had a small aquapac for years that can hold all that plus a cell phone. It cost $20 and has a lanyard and a caribiner. We also have an underwater camera that we use, DSLR stays on the ship unless someone is not going to go swimming.

To the OP, do not take all that stuff to the beach unless someone is going to be sitting with it. Invest in a waterproof bag that is big enough to carry what you can not do without.

+1

I have 2 waterproof hard shell containers. One for me and one for DH. I always carry my ID and cash on me when out of the country. Flip flops, ship towels...those things can be replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Think about the posts where people have left their camera, cell etc ON THE SHIP while in the pool etc. and have had them taken. Do you think those people stay on the ship?

If I were going to a beach, I'd pack a waterproof fanny pack or whatever so I could put in my cash, credit card and S&S card. I'm not so sure I'd pack my Iphone in it, but if that were in a waterproof case for the phohe, as well as the pack, I would.

Leaving valuables on the beach in today's world is asking for trouble. Sorry for being so cynical.

Edited by katiel53

You are visiting locations known to be loaded with unsuspecting cruise tourists. Don't be a victim. On my last trip to Trunk Bay, St John, I had all of my valuables secured in a "vacation vault" container, strapped to a tree. My towel, hat, and sandals were next to it and someone stole my hat. Be it fellow passengers or locals, sadly there are thieves at every port.

I wouldn't leave anything unattended at St. Martin. I don't think it is safe there to do that. Labadee is pretty safe because it is a private island. I have left my phone and a small amount of cash on the beach many times. You don't need but a few dollars in Labadee for tips. Bermuda is pretty safe and I have left my phone on the beach when going in the water.

Edited by Charles4515

Don't bring much. Keep cash, and credit cards, ship card in your swim trunk pocket....no one wants your t-shirt or flip flops!

Your stuff will probably be fine...just don't bring anything you can't bear to lose. Just so you know...we've NEVER lost anything!

Labadee is not a safe place to leave belongings unattended...I learned this the hard way!

Sorry to shout but just want to be sure folks realize this. Stupidly left my cell phone on a lounge chair (5 feet away from me) and it disappeared. I'll spare you the whole story...my phone miraculously reappeared after I offered the nearby steel band a "reward". :rolleyes:

The cruise line, for the record, does not have any system for reporting (and thereby monitoring) thefts on Labadee.

Keep your stuff on the ship. Get one of those mini-safes that you can lock to a lounge chair. Or wear one of those waterproof things around your neck.

I don't mean to blame the victim, but men's swimsuits with secure pockets are easy to find -- and the security is worth the cost of a new set of trunks!

"I thought they belonged to my friend." What an obvious lie. Where's the friend, little old lady?

Believe me I have suits with pockets now. We're mere yards from our towels and some little old white lady makes off with my stuff??? Who'd a thunk it!

You're so funny!!! "I don't mean to blame the victim"...then don't... So funny!

HLR