Tipping Over and Above Suggested Gratuities

Duffysmom

To each his or her own.

However I will never understand tipping on top of a tip:confused: What is next?

Leave the auto gratuities on........

Don't act like an entitled PITA ,I am sure they would rather that ,than a few extra bucks.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

17 cabins at an average of $10 per cabin is $1,170 per week in their share of the auto tips. Add tips given personally and the small amount of remuneration as per their contract, and their take-home pay isn't too bad:).

A few posts back, you told us stewards service 10 cabins,

and you don't believe someone saying 17.

17 cabins at an average of $10 per cabin is $1,170 per week in their share of the auto tips. Add tips given personally and the small amount of remuneration as per their contract, and their take-home pay isn't too bad:).

Where do you get $10 per day for the room stewards? No cruise line gives these people that big a cut of the daily tip amount. According to this 2013 article, the cabin crew only gets about 35% of the total amount, not 70% as you claim. Even considering that most cabins have at least two occupants, the total still doesn't add up to $10. The tip amount may be higher today than described in this 3 year old article, but the percentages of the total most likely haven't changed.

http://cruises.reviewed.com/features/the-low-down-on-cruise-ship-gratuities-2

"Carnival Cruise Lines — Carnival adds a tip of $11.50 per day, per guest for crewmember services, other than bartenders. The full amount is added to onboard accounts on the second day of the cruise. The amount is distributed as follows: $3.70 for cabin services, $5.80 for dining room services, and $2 for “alternative services” (kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)."

"Disney Cruise Line — The tipping guidelines for Disney Cruise Lines recommend a total of $12 per day allocated toward dining room server ($4), assistant server ($3), head server ($1) and cabin steward ($4). The recommendations are per person, regardless of age."

"Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and Sea Dream: Waiter: $3.75; Assistant Waiter: $2.25; Head Waiter: $.75; Stateroom Attendant: $3.75 ($7.25 if you’re in a suite); Stateroom Assistant: $2.25"

Edited by sloopsailor

We also try to "preclean" our room. My mom cleaned hotel rooms and the stories she has about how people left their rooms is horrifying. I can ONLY imagine the things that the poor stewards have to deal with on a daily basis.

Couldn't agree more. We always try to leave the cabin as clean as we can during and at the end of the cruise. I can't imagine some of the stuff they have to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few posts back, you told us stewards service 10 cabins,

and you don't believe someone saying 17.

A couple of people said it was 17 or 18. I still believe it is less than that. I asked my husband what his observations were, and he said 12 cabins. I will check in a couple of days' time and see if the number of cabins I have counted on my previous cruises is the same on our next ship.

A while ago someone posted a link to the Princess Crew Contract http://crew-center.com/princess-cruises-crew-wages-details . My reading of it is that all tips must be turned in to the pool and become a part of the pool. It may be that any excess after making up for those who cancel tips will be returned to the employee who received the tip.

That's what it says.

The question mark is what happens with it then.

Where do you get $10 per day for the room stewards? No cruise line gives these people that big a cut of the daily tip amount. According to this 2013 article, the cabin crew only gets about 35% of the total amount, not 70% as you claim. Even considering that most cabins have at least two occupants, the total still doesn't add up to $10. The tip amount may be higher today than described in this 3 year old article, but the percentages of the total most likely haven't changed.

http://cruises.reviewed.com/features/the-low-down-on-cruise-ship-gratuities-2

"Carnival Cruise Lines — Carnival adds a tip of $11.50 per day, per guest for crewmember services, other than bartenders. The full amount is added to onboard accounts on the second day of the cruise. The amount is distributed as follows: $3.70 for cabin services, $5.80 for dining room services, and $2 for “alternative services” (kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)."

"Disney Cruise Line — The tipping guidelines for Disney Cruise Lines recommend a total of $12 per day allocated toward dining room server ($4), assistant server ($3), head server ($1) and cabin steward ($4). The recommendations are per person, regardless of age."

"Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and Sea Dream: Waiter: $3.75; Assistant Waiter: $2.25; Head Waiter: $.75; Stateroom Attendant: $3.75 ($7.25 if you’re in a suite); Stateroom Assistant: $2.25"

Maybe I should have put an icon for a wink. I commented that if the steward gets $5 pp per day from 17 cabins, their take home pay is very good. I was casting doubt on the '17 cabin' figure and also a little bit on the '$5' figure the other person quoted. I said "an average of $10 per cabin". At $5 pp (for two people) it is $10 per day, or at one-third (or may now be 35%) (as I believe), it is $8.33, soon to rise to $9.

Tips are currently $25 for a twin share cabin (higher for suites). $10 per day is not 70% of this amount. Maybe you mis-read my post. :D

The three year old article you reference has Disney paying the cabin steward $4. I agree that percentages would not have changed (back then the tip would have been less than $12). Increase the $4 in proportion to the way tips have increased in the last three years and multiply by two for double occupancy and you get my figure of $10 per cabin.

On Princess, only service staff are part of the tips pool. Entertainment (Cruise Director, lecturers and the dancers??) are not part of the tips pool. Neither are kitchen staff.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Tipping on DCL is still $12 per guest per night with the breakdown listed above. This info is accurate as of 2016. There is no additional automatic tip in a suite although a tip to the concierge is listed as "at your discretion." The only tipping pool is the bar attendants who get a share of the automatic 15% bar tip based on their hours worked. If you add an additional tip to the ticket, that goes to the individual who actually served you. DCL is quite transparent about their tipping policies, and what the cruise line says is exactly what I've been told by favorite CMs.

Edited by moki'smommy

But this thread is under the Princess sub forum, so not sure what it matters what Walt does.:confused::confused::confused:

Previous poster quoted DCL policy along with other lines and someone else argued that they quoted a 3 year old web site. My point was that the policy is exactly the same as it was in that 3 year old site.

But this thread is under the Princess sub forum, so not sure what it matters what Walt does.:confused::confused::confused:

I would have happily posted the Princess breakdown if it had been available, but since it was not, I posted three other breakdowns as examples of how other cruise lines divide the tip amounts, with the belief that Princess is similar. Not sure why you find that such comparisons a huge problem. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Regarding gratuities, I read where some leave cash (a couple of dollars) daily for their room stewart and others mentioned they give their room stewart a $20 tip on embarkation.. This is over and above the suggested gratuities. Curious to know if this is a widespread practice. Thanks

Quick answer Yes I think is :)

Tony

A couple of people said it was 17 or 18. I still believe it is less than that. I asked my husband what his observations were, and he said 12 cabins. I will check in a couple of days' time and see if the number of cabins I have counted on my previous cruises is the same on our next ship.

First you say 10, and you don't believe 17.

You then provide math describing what you think a steward

with 17 would earn...

Regarding gratuities, I read where some leave cash (a couple of dollars) daily for their room stewart and others mentioned they give their room stewart a $20 tip on embarkation.. This is over and above the suggested gratuities. Curious to know if this is a widespread practice. Thanks

I always give our room steward $10 on the first day with a request to keep my ice chest filled (I always bring a small one with me). If he keeps it filled I'll give him $20 on the last night...

I always give our room steward $10 on the first day with a request to keep my ice chest filled (I always bring a small one with me). If he keeps it filled I'll give him $20 on the last night...

My husband and I never tip at the start, and we also have our ice bucket serviced regularly if asked. After all, that is part of their job. No bribe needed to coerce the attendant to do so. Do you also tip your waiter in advance to make sure he brings your food to you?

We do tip extra at the end if they have given us better than expected service. And many do. I personally feel that the service staff will take better care of passengers who are kind and friendly to them, and show them the respect they deserve for the hard work they do. Giving them a bribe at the beginning is a worthless effort, and may even be insulting because it implies that they need to be "bought" to provide the service expected.

My husband and I never tip at the start, and we also have our ice bucket serviced regularly if asked. After all, that is part of their job. No bribe needed to coerce the attendant to do so. Do you also tip your waiter in advance to make sure he brings your food to you?

We do tip extra at the end if they have given us better than expected service. And many do. I personally feel that the service staff will take better care of passengers who are kind and friendly to them, and show them the respect they deserve for the hard work they do. Giving them a bribe at the beginning is a worthless effort, and may even be insulting because it implies that they need to be "bought" to provide the service expected.

I doubt that people would tip in advance at a land based restaurant but somehow when they on a ship they feel different about the cabin steward. I guess they're afraid they might not get treated as good as someone else. :rolleyes:

I never tip on embarkation. All ways at the end of the cruise. For me I think that a pre tip could be taken as a insult or bribe. I also get some of the cards that you can give the crew member a good review and hand that to them with some extra cash.

I always find and shake the hand of my steward when we board and give him a $20 on embarkation. I tell him I appreciate him and his position and what he does for all his stateroom guests and just appreciate him. I am a neatfreak in my cabin and don't ask for anything special. So I just see this as appreciating him not a bribe.

Pooh

I always find and shake the hand of my steward when we board and give him a $20 on embarkation. I tell him I appreciate him and his position and what he does for all his stateroom guests and just appreciate him. I am a neatfreak in my cabin and don't ask for anything special. So I just see this as appreciating him not a bribe.

Pooh

I can't agree more...and it's amazing what a little extra appreciation will get you.

Edited by jdeanski

Pooh

I can't agree more...and it's amazing what a little extra appreciation will get you.

No matter how you slice it, in the service industry money paid up front is a bribe. JMHO

You don't pay your barber/hairdresser/waiter/taxi driver/ etc. before you get the service do you?

Theo

I have never slipped in a tip after the start of a cruise, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people have such a difficult time with the concept. If you leave the auto-tip in place, both you and the crew member know at the outset of the cruise what you are tipping (at a minimum). If your auto-tip amount for the cruise is $100, and both you and the steward know it before the ship leaves the dock, how is this so remarkably different from a person who removes the auto-tip first thing upon boarding, and then hands the steward a $100 bill on the first day? Or the person who leaves the auto-tip in place and hands the steward a $20 on the first day? When you order a cocktail on board, you know from the outset that a 15% gratuity will be tacked on. You are not "bribing" the bartender to make you a good drink. Nor are you waiting to receive or consume the drink to provide the gratuity. You did so at the outset of the transaction, sight unseen. While I have never been a cabin steward, I don't think it is a stretch to assume that they don't so much care when they get tipped, only that they do get tipped.

The standard cabin load on Princess is 18 cabins.I have been told that # many times.

I have never slipped in a tip after the start of a cruise, but I can't for the life of me figure out why people have such a difficult time with the concept. If you leave the auto-tip in place, both you and the crew member know at the outset of the cruise what you are tipping (at a minimum). If your auto-tip amount for the cruise is $100, and both you and the steward know it before the ship leaves the dock, how is this so remarkably different from a person who removes the auto-tip first thing upon boarding, and then hands the steward a $100 bill on the first day? Or the person who leaves the auto-tip in place and hands the steward a $20 on the first day? When you order a cocktail on board, you know from the outset that a 15% gratuity will be tacked on. You are not "bribing" the bartender to make you a good drink. Nor are you waiting to receive or consume the drink to provide the gratuity. You did so at the outset of the transaction, sight unseen. While I have never been a cabin steward, I don't think it is a stretch to assume that they don't so much care when they get tipped, only that they do get tipped.

I agree with most of your posts on CC but here I think we have a different opinion.The difference is that if I leave the Auto Gratuity in place I still have the option (in he unlikely event of bad service) to reduce the amount. This is not likely to happen if I gave the steward and/or waiters my $ 100.00 when I board the ship. In the latter case we just have to chalk it up as a bad experience. (Or I can chase the steward down the hall and ask for some of the money back :D.)

Theo