Summit to be Decommishened?

rleigh

We love the Summit too. We are sailing on the Anthem (first time on RCCL) tomorrow. Why won't you sail on the Anthem?

we sailed on the quantum March 2015 It was very dissappointing We sailed with my nephew and his family First the terminal was a nightmare. instead on the usual lines to board, agents with ipads were being swarmed by passengers to register. We were on the summit in August and had a good experience, back to normal check in lines. Hopefully, RC also registers this way now. The buffet area was extremely crowded. couldn't find seats on boarding or sea days. fortunately we were in a suite and were able to dine in the suite restaurant. You can read my review. We found the service about the worst of any ship we had sailed on. Most crowded and disorganized. Because of the negative experience, we cancelled our Anthem cruise Untl the ratings go up and I read great reviews, we will not sail on any quantum class ship again I will await your review.

I hope you have a better experience. We will be sailing on the Harmony in March. It is an Oasis class, which we really enjoy.

we sailed on the quantum March 2015 It was very dissappointing We sailed with my nephew and his family First the terminal was a nightmare. instead on the usual lines to board, agents with ipads were being swarmed by passengers to register. We were on the summit in August and had a good experience, back to normal check in lines. Hopefully, RC also registers this way now. The buffet area was extremely crowded. couldn't find seats on boarding or sea days. fortunately we were in a suite and were able to dine in the suite restaurant. You can read my review. We found the service about the worst of any ship we had sailed on. Most crowded and disorganized. Because of the negative experience, we cancelled our Anthem cruise Untl the ratings go up and I read great reviews, we will not sail on any quantum class ship again I will await your review.

I hope you have a better experience. We will be sailing on the Harmony in March. It is an Oasis class, which we really enjoy.

Read my review. We feel the same as you did regarding the crowds and lines. Drink service at the shows and pool side was invisible. We also found the suite resturant (Coastal kitchen) lacking compared to Luminae on Celebrity. If we did not have the royal loft suite, the cruise would have been a huge disappointment. The shows were great, though. It seems the crew was trying to please, but they lacked the necessary resources to deliver a top notch cruise.

Onboard crew on ships don't know. They are often the last to know of corporate decisions. You have to take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Yes, this is my experience. For example:

One staff member on Reflection told me the Enomatic Wine system was being redesigned and would continue to be a feature on Celebrity ships. Another staff member on Solstice told me absolutely that the Enomatic Wine system was being eliminated for good.

One staff member on Constellation told me the muesli carts in Blu were being redesigned and would soon appear on US sailings. A staff member in Blu on Infinity told me that the muesli carts were being permanently eliminated on US sailings.

Take your pick on who you believe! Don't believe ANYTHING a fellow passenger tells you!

Had friends that just disembarked the Infinity, and were told by staff members that the Summit was, indeed, being decommissioned in 2018.

Recently returned from a 2 week cruise on Summit. During the Captain's Corner Q&A session, Captain Kate indicated that Celebrity intends to keep the M-class ships "for many years to come". Now it may be she doesn't know or has been instructed not to tell, but I tend to take her at her word.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Recently returned from a 2 week cruise on Summit. During the Captain's Corner Q&A session, Captain Kate indicated that Celebrity intends to keep the M-class ships "for many years to come". Now it may be she doesn't know or has been instructed not to tell, but I tend to take her at her word.

She doesn't know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recently returned from a 2 week cruise on Summit. During the Captain's Corner Q&A session, Captain Kate indicated that Celebrity intends to keep the M-class ships "for many years to come". Now it may be she doesn't know or has been instructed not to tell, but I tend to take her at her word. Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

She did say that. It was also mentioned that the Summit will go back into dry dock in 2 years time for stateroom upgrades to all except the high end suites. They had a re-do on the last dry dock.

Had friends that just disembarked the Infinity, and were told by staff members that the Summit was, indeed, being decommissioned in 2018.

I started to ask about the rumors, but didn't want to create an uproar. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is my experience. For example:

One staff member on Reflection told me the Enomatic Wine system was being redesigned and would continue to be a feature on Celebrity ships. Another staff member on Solstice told me absolutely that the Enomatic Wine system was being eliminated for good.

One staff member on Constellation told me the muesli carts in Blu were being redesigned and would soon appear on US sailings. A staff member in Blu on Infinity told me that the muesli carts were being permanently eliminated on US sailings.

Take your pick on who you believe! Don't believe ANYTHING a fellow passenger tells you!

Muesli carts in Blu on 10/2 sailing. They looked like the same old carts to me, but could have been narrower. ;)

BTW, Bistro on 5 turned into Sushi on 5 on the last sea day of our cruise.

"for many years to come"

Yes, but what is her definition of "many?" They are not getting rid of any of them tomorrow. It will be a while before the Edge Class ships are out. So it will probably be 4-5 years before they would get rid of any M Class ship.

I am sorry but I really don't think they will keep Summit around much longer after that.

Yes, but what is her definition of "many?" They are not getting rid of any of them tomorrow. It will be a while before the Edge Class ships are out. So it will probably be 4-5 years before they would get rid of any M Class ship.

I am sorry but I really don't think they will keep Summit around much longer after that.

The Summit is a Millennium-class cruise ship built in 2001

The Millennium was christened June 17, 2000

Not sure why the rumour isn't that the Millie would go first...as you say starting in 2020 or later.

A 20 year old ship is getting up there for a main-line cruise ship operator like Celebrity.

She doesn't know.

And you know this how? I am reporting a direct statement from the captain of the ship. IAMTHESEA also reported on the dry dock plan. Yet somehow these people don't know about their own ship?

I guess it's easy to sit back and speculate, but I try to accept people at their word until proven wrong instead of assuming they're just making stuff up.

You make a good point, it could be any of the 4 M class ships. When they got rid of the Century class ships, the Century was last to go if I remember correctly. All rumors at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True but wasn't the Century the only Millie class ship that was elongated or am I thinking of another ship?

Edited by A Sixth?

And you know this how? I am reporting a direct statement from the captain of the ship. IAMTHESEA also reported on the dry dock plan. Yet somehow these people don't know about their own ship?

I guess it's easy to sit back and speculate, but I try to accept people at their word until proven wrong instead of assuming they're just making stuff up.

Because there is a long history that shows the people on the ships do not know what is going on, skepticism based on past reality.

Edited by dkjretired

True but wasn't the Century the only Millie class ship that was elongated or am I thinking of another ship?

The Century is/was not a Millennium Class Ship. There are four: Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation.

Century was the C(entury) Class. Century, Mercury and Galaxy.

The Century is/was not a Millennium Class Ship. There are four: Millennium, Summit, Infinity and Constellation.

There were major rumors years ago that Century was getting a major renovation which included cutting the ship and stretching it. This was discussed on this board and it was reported as a done deal by numerous people on the ship's including Captains. Never happened.

The ship is Royal Caribbean Cruise International's and they make the business decisions. It depends how many berths they want in the Celebrity fleet. If they keep all the M ships when they get the Edge ships that would be a major expansion. Depending on the economy they may or may not keep the older less efficient ships. I have sailed on a bunch of Celebrity ships no longer with the fleet. Zenith, Galaxy, Mercury, Century. So ships leaving Celebrity when new classes of ships are added is the history of the brand.

The Captain's come and go. I have been on Summit five times and never had the same Captain twice. I have been to many Q and A sessions. The officers tend to try and please passengers. So their answers often come out as what people want to hear. I don't think she was making stuff up. Her answer was the best she could give.

Century was not elongated. It did undergo a major refurb that added balcony cabins. It was not a Millie Class ship. It was the first of Century Class.

Just a speculation that when the edge class ships come, perhaps Celebrity will sell the M class ships. While it (summit) was refurbished, the only cabins redone were the penthouse and Royal suites. Some public areas also, but that could help to command a higher price if and when it is sold. We sail on the Summit every August and hope that the destination to Bermuda continues. We didn't enjoy the Quantum and will not sail on the Anthem.

I believe the Anthem is cursed and will not sail on it. The Summit is still my favorite ship. Went on the Eclipse and now going on the Equinox but nothing compares to the Summit. Staff and service is superb. I personally do not like the larger ships.

Century was not elongated. It did undergo a major refurb that added balcony cabins. It was not a Millie Class ship. It was the first of Century Class.

Perhaps what they are thinking is Galaxy and Mercury were a little longer than Century but that was done during construction of the ships.

Edited by dkjretired

Century was a C class ship & not stretched. While she was the first, & oldest ship in her class, I think the reason she was the last to go is that she had balconies added to deck 8 & 9 & partially to deck 10, which gave her one additional deck with balconies, as opposed to Galaxy & Mercury. She was built at the dawn of the popularity of balcony rooms. She did lack the aft pool of her sisters, but that did not produce revenue.

Horizon also had one balcony added as an experiment, but probably due to their size, Horizon & Zenith were not seen as worth the expense of additional balconies.

Sorry, that's what I meant... typing without thinking enough. Point was that the oldest of the "Century" class ships was the last to be retired.

I'd be surprised if they retire any ships before the next round of Edge ships are well up and running. In fact, they've added a couple of small ships for the Galapagos.

I believe the Anthem is cursed and will not sail on it.

The Anthem is not cursed as all. We sailed on her in March for 12 nights and had a good time. We have booked another 12 night on her for January 2017.

We have sailed on one S Class Ship - Silhouette when it sailed from Cape Liberty on 2012. We were not impressed at all. Rather sail on an M Class ship, actually would rather sail on an original M Class, not the "solsticized" version.

Edited by CruisingChick