Summit to be Decommishened?

rleigh

Inventory for Summit has been zeroed out for her sailings between January 29, 2019 and March 29, 2019 - a nearly 60 day period. Speculation is that this is for her "Celebriity Revolution" drydock and maybe some charters.

The "Celebrity Revolution" drydock program is supposed to have a complete gut and rebuild of all cabins and suites on M-class ships, an extensive redesign of the Spa an Oceanview cafe areas, along with a design refresh of all public spaces aboard, bringing the ships more in line decoratively with the EDGE class vessels.

Celebrity is still offering available suites for the February 16th cruise on their website.

Actually Feb 16 and 23, Mar 2,9,16,23 all showing sold out except for suites.

We have Canada/New England cruise booked on Summit in Sept., 2019. So I hope it is getting refurbished and not just charted out most of the Winter!!

The past few years Summit has been chartered out for many weeks in February and March. So it may be charters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was reading a current message thread here about a recent cruise on Summit. A comment was made that Summit will be taken out of the fleet in 2018. It was stated as if it was a matter of fact. Did I miss something? Is this true? I know that 2 new ships are on the way, but this doesn't necessarily mean that ships are leaving.

It’s absolutely amazing how these stories get started. If you do any fact checking at all you can see the Summit is available for Bermuda cruises through September 2019, then other cruises beyond that. Fake news !

It’s absolutely amazing how these stories get started. If you do any fact checking at all you can see the Summit is available for Bermuda cruises through September 2019, then other cruises beyond that. Fake news !

Well I don't know if the Summit is one, but there are certainly what looks like 2 "M class" ships up for sale if you have a spare $350 million or $400 million depending on which one you chose!

They are listed on QPS Marine Ships (pre-owned cruise ships page-2)

$350 million ship

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/c9dbea_107d8937fa054fb297662aef0385a8af.pdf

Edited by Alan2504
add link

Well I don't know if the Summit is one, but there are certainly what looks like 2 "M class" ships up for sale if you have a spare $350 million or $400 million depending on which one you chose!

$350 million ship

You should take that website and the listings there with a huge grain of salt. It smells fake.

If Celebrity decides to sell a ship or transfer it to another of it's brands they won't be listing it on a public website.

Edited by Charles4515

You should take that website and the listings there with a huge grain of salt. It smells fake.

It was the same website, if remember correctly, that listed the small yachts of Seabuorn: Legend, Pride and Spirit for sale before they were picked up by Windstar.

I love old threads that have been resurrected. Thank you for going back and checking/looking for it.

Not only that....... there are older threads going back further with the same speculation. Every year or two someone sees the picture on that Yacht website of what appears to be an M class ship for sale and takes that for gospel. That picture has been there for years. Or hears a rumor onboard a ship from crew. Crew are the last to know. Someday it will come true, ships eventually are sold, transferred or scrapped, but it is not a fact until Celebrity issues a press release. if you look at history Celebrity does not keep a large fleet so it would not be a surprise if they cull some ships. I would not worry about it. I had a cruise booked on Zenith to Bermuda which Celebrity transfered to Pullmentur, a line who they partially owned. Celebrity took care of me and rebooked me on Azamara Journey to Bermuda the same week.

Edited by Charles4515

This a cut and paste from a flyer that Celebrity sent to my travel agent. Summit is being refreshed prior to the Bermuda sailings in the summer of 2019.

"Fresh from her role in The Celebrity Revolution, Celebrity Summit® returns to Bermuda in

summer 2019 following a multi-million-dollar revitalization, including completely

redesigned staterooms. On board, the newly redesigned accommodations and public

venues are the perfect complement to the stunning island you’ll visit."

It also appears that Millenium is also getting a refresh in 2019.

MIAMI, FL – November 28, 2017 – Sailing from Vancouver through the awe-inspiring Inside Passage to the iconic Hubbard Glacier and beyond, Celebrity Cruises’ 2019 Alaska cruise season features 13 unforgettable destinations, with more than 40 extended port visits and countless experiences. With three ships in the region – Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, and Celebrity Millennium – the brand’s expertly thought-out 7-night itineraries and in-depth shore excursions will bring guests up close and personal with all of Alaska’s must-see wonders.

“With Celebrity Millennium emerging fresh from the Celebrity Revolution – the largest investment the brand has ever made to modernize our fleet – longer port visits, and one-of-kind cruisetour experiences, our 2019 Alaska season is shaping up to be the most impressive yet,” said Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, President and CEO, Celebrity Cruises. “Add to that the addition of Celebrity Eclipse and we have what promises to be an unrivaled season of unexpected splendor in the region.”

$350 million ship

That story has been debunked a long time ago!

Inventory for Summit has been zeroed out for her sailings between January 29, 2019 and March 29, 2019 - a nearly 60 day period. Speculation is that this is for her "Celebriity Revolution" drydock and maybe some charters.

The "Celebrity Revolution" drydock program is supposed to have a complete gut and rebuild of all cabins and suites on M-class ships, an extensive redesign of the Spa an Oceanview cafe areas, along with a design refresh of all public spaces aboard, bringing the ships more in line decoratively with the EDGE class vessels.

At a cruise show a few weeks ago our regional Celebrity rep announced what is said above. The Summit will be completely stripped and rebuilt to have Edge-like features next year (2019). It should be like a completely new ship. She said she had no additional information available at that time.

At a cruise show a few weeks ago our regional Celebrity rep announced what is said above. The Summit will be completely stripped and rebuilt to have Edge-like features next year (2019). It should be like a completely new ship. She said she had no additional information available at that time.

I believe what you are saying the money allotted just does not allow for that.

I believe what you are saying the money allotted just does not allow for that.

Oh, I agree. Why take any M class ship and try to make it more like the Edge is beyond me. I bet they will also find a way to add more cabins, as if the M class is not crowded already. I'm just sitting back waiting to see what they are really going to do.

Oh, I agree. Why take any M class ship and try to make it more like the Edge is beyond me. I bet they will also find a way to add more cabins, as if the M class is not crowded already. I'm just sitting back waiting to see what they are really going to do.

Yes, the PR hype usually does not tell the whole story. And all the cruise lines are adding cabins on these redo's, reducing public space, making the net result of the "renovation" a more crowded ship.

Please share where you found this information. Thank you.

here's a link to the cruise critic article on the "revolution" upgrades: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=8122 and a video from Celebrity:

and the infographic from Celebrity: https://www.celebritycruisespresscenter.com/media_photos/1507234950_Celebrity-Revolution-Infographic.jpg

No specific dates set, but gaps in schedule of Millennium and Summit both point to them going in for the makeover in January 2019 for a 45-60 drydock period. RCI/Celebrity do not usually reveal specific drydock dates publicly until just prior to the actual date.

Also interested in this as we have a deposit on Summit for March 30 2019 out of San Juan

I am also on this sailing. It looks like she will be fresh out of dry dock. Or dry dock then a few charters. Only time will tell, but I think our sailing will be fine. But I do have a backup in mind just in case it is cancelled.