Summit to be Decommishened?

rleigh

We have sailed on one S Class Ship - Silhouette when it sailed from Cape Liberty on 2012. We were not impressed at all. Rather sail on an M Class ship, actually would rather sail on an original M Class, not the "solsticized" version.

I'm curious. Why do you prefer an M class over the S class? And what changes when an M class is "Solsticized?

We have sailed on one S Class Ship - Silhouette when it sailed from Cape Liberty on 2012. We were not impressed at all. Rather sail on an M Class ship, actually would rather sail on an original M Class, not the "solsticized" version.

To each their own. I have been on Silhouette three times plus Equinox and Reflection. I like M Class but S Class is my favorite class on any cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To each their own. I have been on Silhouette three times plus Equinox and Reflection. I like M Class but S Class is my favorite class on any cruise line.

Second that. And that from a guy who's been on M class A LOT, seven weeks in 2016 alone! :D

The Anthem is not cursed as all. We sailed on her in March for 12 nights and had a good time. We have booked another 12 night on her for January 2017.

That was enough to deter me, plus I am not a Royal Caribbean fan.

Actually, Horizon was built first so Zenith would be a Horizon class ship. They were never referred to that much that way.

Yes, although they would be Horizon Class, I never thought of them that way. I thought of them as the sister ships.

Edited by Charles4515

The ship is Royal Caribbean Cruise International's and they make the business decisions. It depends how many berths they want in the Celebrity fleet. If they keep all the M ships when they get the Edge ships that would be a major expansion. Depending on the economy they may or may not keep the older less efficient ships. I have sailed on a bunch of Celebrity ships no longer with the fleet. Zenith, Galaxy, Mercury, Century. So ships leaving Celebrity when new classes of ships are added is the history of the brand.

Royal Caribbean International is a sister cruise line to Celebrity, they do not own Celebrity's ships or make any business decisions directly impacting Celebrity. Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited (RCCL) is the corporation. That owns/operates Celebrity, RCI, Azamara and a couple European brands.

I believe November 35th of 2020 is when Summit goes poof from the Celebrity fleet.

Royal Caribbean International is a sister cruise line to Celebrity, they do not own Celebrity's ships or make any business decisions directly impacting Celebrity. Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited (RCCL) is the corporation. That owns/operates Celebrity, RCI, Azamara and a couple European brands.

I believe November 35th of 2020 is when Summit goes poof from the Celebrity fleet.

Right. The politicly correct and actual name of the corporation that owns Celebrity and will make the business decision as to when Summit leaves the fleet is Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited. (you can tell I am not a stockholder)

I think November 35th of 2020 is wrong. I think it will be Election Day, November 28th of 2016. The decision will be based on who wins the election. [emoji12]

Edited by Charles4515

Right. The politicly correct and actual name of the corporation that owns Celebrity and will make the business decision as to when Summit leaves the fleet is Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited. (you can tell I am not a stockholder)

I think November 35th of 2020 is wrong. I think it will be Election Day, November 28th of 2016. The decision will be based on who wins the election. [emoji12]

It'll be rigged then :D, so Summit may get to stay after a recount :rolleyes:.

Sorry, couldn't resist :p.

It could also be April 1st, you name the year..

Interesting speculation.

Is there any sense that Celebrity would then have to replace Summit charters with an S class ship? Is there a passenger capacity limit they work towards or a specified # of ships in their fleet?

In early 2000's M class ships were to die for and in the top 10 'best' ships.

Century was a C class ship & not stretched. While she was the first, & oldest ship in her class, I think the reason she was the last to go is that she had balconies added to deck 8 & 9 & partially to deck 10, which gave her one additional deck with balconies, as opposed to Galaxy & Mercury. She was built at the dawn of the popularity of balcony rooms. She did lack the aft pool of her sisters, but that did not produce revenue.

Horizon also had one balcony added as an experiment, but probably due to their size, Horizon & Zenith were not seen as worth the expense of additional balconies.

Rich: RCCL obviously changed their mind after the Horizon class ships left Celebrity. Both ships have balcony suites now, Horizon with 68 and Zenith with 57. I'll be sailing in one of the Horizon's next week from Marseille.

I'll let everyone know if there is any talk about the Summit's future on that side of the Atlantic.

Rich: RCCL obviously changed their mind after the Horizon class ships left Celebrity. Both ships have balcony suites now, Horizon with 68 and Zenith with 57. I'll be sailing in one of the Horizon's next week from Marseille.

I'll let everyone know if there is any talk about the Summit's future on that side of the Atlantic.

Yes, they probably thought the cost of adding balconies was not warranted because they were only about 47,000 GRT, & too small. I've seen both ships since they left the fleet, with their balconies. You can still see the X on the stack. Never sailed Horizon, but did sail Zenith a number of times. We were on her final Celebrity sailing, a 16 nighter from Florida to Bayonne. Sailing out of Hamilton the final time, with a great sendoff by Bermuda, was very emotional. Still one of our favorite cruises.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by richsea

• 1 year later...

The Summit has itineraries up now through Spring of 2020, so it looks like Celebrity is keeping it for awhile.

Does anyone know of when the next refurbishment will be?

The one in 2016 didn't involve the regular cabins (those below a suite) and some of them really needed it in 2016 and here it is, 2018 and they haven't been updated.

The Summit has itineraries up now through Spring of 2020, so it looks like Celebrity is keeping it for awhile.

The one in 2016 didn't involve the regular cabins (those below a suite) and some of them really needed it in 2016 and here it is, 2018 and they haven't been updated.

It didn’t involve Celebrity or sky suites either. Only Royal and Penthouse suites

No specific details but Celebrity announced every ship in the fleet will receive a major upgrade between 2019 and 2023.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inventory for Summit has been zeroed out for her sailings between January 29, 2019 and March 29, 2019 - a nearly 60 day period. Speculation is that this is for her "Celebriity Revolution" drydock and maybe some charters.

The "Celebrity Revolution" drydock program is supposed to have a complete gut and rebuild of all cabins and suites on M-class ships, an extensive redesign of the Spa an Oceanview cafe areas, along with a design refresh of all public spaces aboard, bringing the ships more in line decoratively with the EDGE class vessels.

Inventory for Summit has been zeroed out for her sailings between January 29, 2019 and March 29, 2019 - a nearly 60 day period. Speculation is that this is for her "Celebriity Revolution" drydock and maybe some charters.

The "Celebrity Revolution" drydock program is supposed to have a complete gut and rebuild of all cabins and suites on M-class ships, an extensive redesign of the Spa an Oceanview cafe areas, along with a design refresh of all public spaces aboard, bringing the ships more in line decoratively with the EDGE class vessels.

Exciting Deals has her listed for a 2 night cruise out of FLL on March 8th.