B.B. King's Blues Club Question

jimdee3636

Agree. It is way too loud.

I love sitting in front but end up standing in back due to volume.

They often have very small audiences as others have noted. I suspect that if they turned down the volume they would have more people there - we would stay if we could handle the sound level. I am not sure why HAL doesn't give this suggestion a try ... can't hurt.

I believe that the BB King shows are only on Vista and higher class ships. Smaller ships like Maasdam do not have an appropriate venue for those shows.

The Rotterdam is a R-Class ship (obviously), an earlier model than the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class vessels, and does have the BB King venue in the Crow's Nest.

Being in the Crow's Nest, if the sound from the speakers facing the dance floor is too loud, one can move to other areas in the Crow's Nest and still enjoy the entertainment. The Crow's Nest Bar on the Rotterdam's VOV had probably as many in the audience, if not more, than those seated near the Band.

The Rotterdam is a R-Class ship (obviously), an earlier model than the Vista, Signature, and Pinnacle Class vessels, and does have the BB King venue in the Crow's Nest.

Being in the Crow's Nest, if the sound from the speakers facing the dance floor is too loud, one can move to other areas in the Crow's Nest and still enjoy the entertainment. The Crow's Nest Bar on the Rotterdam's VOV had probably as many in the audience, if not more, than those seated near the Band.

Thanks for correcting my statement. Hopefully, someone who has been on the Maasdam recently can clarify for esimon.

While we understand the volume issue, folks need to understand that if you have a relatively large band (we are talking about 7 plus or minus musicians) playing disco, Blues, R&B, etc. in a small venue (with low ceilings) it is just going to be loud. It can be hard to mute all those instruments and properly play that type of music. One might take a page from the book of many musicians and wear earplugs...it they are bothered by the volume. I should add that we have also heard many HAL cruisers complain about the volume in the main showroom...and a minute later heard another cruiser complain that the volume was too low. It is just hard to please everyone.

Hank

While we understand the volume issue, folks need to understand that if you have a relatively large band (we are talking about 7 plus or minus musicians) playing disco, Blues, R&B, etc. in a small venue (with low ceilings) it is just going to be loud. It can be hard to mute all those instruments and properly play that type of music. One might take a page from the book of many musicians and wear earplugs...it they are bothered by the volume. I should add that we have also heard many HAL cruisers complain about the volume in the main showroom...and a minute later heard another cruiser complain that the volume was too low. It is just hard to please everyone.

Hank

Correct! My hearing is not as good as it was just a very few years ago.

On the Rotterdam, I understand that the Band members were displeased because of the low ceiling and hard surfaces. They felt that their music was being distorted by their envirorment. Not me, however. I enjoyed everything that I heard!

Edited by rkacruiser

Are speakers necessary in that small venue?

They often have very small audiences as others have noted. I suspect that if they turned down the volume they would have more people there - we would stay if we could handle the sound level. I am not sure why HAL doesn't give this suggestion a try ... can't hurt.

It must depend on the cruise, it was a full house every night on the Eurodam!

Are speakers necessary in that small venue?

Well, it sure helps with an electric guitar and electronic keyboard :). The drums and brass do not usually use speakers...and the Sax player needs some amplification. Of course HAL could replace the BB King show with a simple acoustic guitar player. But we suspect a majority of HAL cruisers would have no clue what "acoustic" meant and just go to bed by 8.

Hank

P.S. Before I get flamed (definitely deserved) we will admit to being Seniors. But we are seniors who really enjoy modern (on HAL that is anything after the 40s) music.

Edited by Hlitner

On the 2016 VoV cruise we really enjoyed the BB King group. We thought that they were excellent musicians and certainly liked the singer much more that the previous HALcats singers. We found that is we sat just off center of the group the sound was much more enjoyable that if we sat directly in front. I certainly hope that such a group is on our next cruise.

However, on the VoV we were told of some upcoming major changes in both the entertainment administration and entertainment staff positions as well as the type of entertainers at least on some HAL ships (maybe all, that was not clear to me). So we shall see how it shakes out.

Well, it sure helps with an electric guitar and electronic keyboard :). The drums and brass do not usually use speakers...and the Sax player needs some amplification. Of course HAL could replace the BB King show with a simple acoustic guitar player. But we suspect a majority of HAL cruisers would have no clue what "acoustic" meant and just go to bed by 8.

Hank

P.S. Before I get flamed (definitely deserved) we will admit to being Seniors. But we are seniors who really enjoy modern (on HAL that is anything after the 40s) music.

Hank,

Just a comment about "40s music". Brought a laugh to me. Were on Noordam 03/15 and music aft all day long was 40s music. I call it "World War II" music. Tommy Dorsy, crooners, etc. EVERYBODY complaining. Didn't matter how old they were. Thank God last two since then have had much better including some Caribbean/Island music, since after all, we were in the Caribbean!

Fully agree with your statements.

Jane

However, on the VoV we were told of some upcoming major changes in both the entertainment administration and entertainment staff positions as well as the type of entertainers at least on some HAL ships (maybe all, that was not clear to me). So we shall see how it shakes out.

Oh, please do elaborate! I would love to have a feel for what other entertainment changes are in the planning stages. I love to stay out and play until late, but HAL offers less and less with the passing years.

What's a night owl to do? Maybe you can offer me some hope. ;)

I love to stay out and play until late, but HAL offers less and less with the passing years.

What's a night owl to do? Maybe you can offer me some hope. ;)

I hope the changes were not reflected on our Oosterdam cruise in the Mediterranean earlier this month.

We could not believe when we received the On Location bulletin for Gala Night and the "gala" style entertainment in the main show lounge was a BBC Earth movie. I have nothing against BBC Earth and understand they have many followers, but on Gala Night? Going to a movie is more suitable for "date" night than "gala" night and I normally do not wear a tuxedo on "date" night :D

May I ask two questions, please? What is VoV? And do others feel like I do that the music on HAL is music my grandparents listened to. I love Frank Sinatra but even Frank gets old after a while. Would love to see more current music and though I am definitely a senior, that is what I most enjoy. If HAL would like to attract a younger group of cruisers, perhaps they could bring the music down a generation or two or three. I know some would protest, but I can't be the only one out there that feels this way.

Hi all, I appreciate the info about the Blues Club and enjoy (and play) blues, rock, etc. But to put a slightly different twist on things can anyone throw any light on dancing? Our group likes to dance every night (swing, latin, waltz, tango even). What have you seen on HAL ships? Are there reasonable dance floors? Will the band play a cha cha, rumba, whatever? We've had luck just requesting things from the band and finding/making room where ever we are but any insights would be helpful. Also any recent daily event schedules/planners would help us understand what's going on on some of the ships. Maybe I'll start a dancing thread - meetups would be fun!

May I ask two questions, please? What is VoV? And do others feel like I do that the music on HAL is music my grandparents listened to. I love Frank Sinatra but even Frank gets old after a while. Would love to see more current music and though I am definitely a senior, that is what I most enjoy. If HAL would like to attract a younger group of cruisers, perhaps they could bring the music down a generation or two or three. I know some would protest, but I can't be the only one out there that feels this way.

VoV is Voyage of the Vikings, a 35 or so day cruise that HAL has once a year in the summer. It is round trip Boston, goes up to the Atlantic provinces, Newfoundland and Labrador, Greenland, Iceland, down the coast of the UK to Rotterdam. It comes back along a similar itinerary but different ports. It can be booked as a one way as well.

Here's a link to the upcoming 38 day cruise for next year: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?destCode=E&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&pageNumber=0&voyageCode=T748&directionCode=T&tabName=ItineraryDetails&fromSearchVacation=true

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I would love to hear some 40's music.

So would I! It doesn't have to be played in every lounge---there should be something for everyone. But at least somewhere on board, perhaps a lounge with a dance floor, since that music is so danceable.

I haven't heard any 40s music on a HAL ship in years (unless someone plays a request). I haven't even heard 50s, or much in the way of 60s music on HAL in a long, long time.