Hurricane Matthew

I live in the Daytona Beach area. My cruise leaves from San Juan on Saturday. The ship will sail, but I might not be on it. :( I've rerouted my air from Orlando to Tampa, leaving Saturday morning. Yet to be seen how my house fares and if I can get away and go... or not!

I've been really looking forward to this one.... can't stand the idea of cancelling. I DO have insurance (on the house and the cruise), so there is that.

Super bummed about the cruise and super nervous about the hurricane.

We are supposed to leave on Friday from Port Canaveral on Majesty.

I've been cruising for a long time, but have never encountered this situation!

Of course I do NOT have travel insurance, but we haven't invested all that much into this 3 night cruise, so we'll be ok.

But has anyone ever had a cruise canceled due to weather? Or would one imagine they would just delay the sail date? I'm trying to wrap my head around the possibilities :-)

Well, announced an hour ago, Port Canaveral will close at Noon tomorrow until Matthew passes by. Miami will be closing at 4 PM tomorrow until the Hurrican passes.

:(

It looks like the next weeks cruises may very well be cancelled.

Well, announced an hour ago, Port Canaveral will close at Noon tomorrow until Matthew passes by. Miami will be closing at 4 PM tomorrow until the Hurrican passes.

So why do these two ports close and not Port Everglades?? Is it more protected?? Just curious

More likely delayed but not cancelled, just like this week's Empress cruise.

The evacuation order for PC.

Port Canaveral will close at noon on Wednesday.

Port Canaveral has issued an evacuation order for landside operations and the port will officially close at noon on Wednesday due to Hurricane Matthew.

In addition to the land-side evacuation, the U.S. Coast Guard has given notice that the Canaveral harbor will close by tomorrow afternoon. Under the Captain of the Port order, no vessel traffic–including cruise and cargo ships, as well as recreational and commercial fishing boats –will be allowed in harbor until after the storm passes and the order is lifted.

This is the first time since 2004 that Port Canaveral has shut down operations due to severe weather. In 2004, the ship’s harbor was shut closed for 11 days to ship traffic.

John Murray, CEO of Port Canaveral, gave the following statement: “This is a serious storm and the protection of people and property is our primary concern. We expect high winds and storm surge throughout the port and have urged the Port community to prepare their facilities so business can resume as quickly as possible after the storm.”

Hurricane Matthew has already caused several cruise lines to alter cruise itineraries in the Caribbean and Bahamas. The hurricane currently has maximum sustained winds of 140 mph and is expected to move over the Bahamas and up the Florida coast over the next few days.

Edited by dreadpirate3

I live in the Daytona Beach area. My cruise leaves from San Juan on Saturday. The ship will sail, but I might not be on it. :( I've rerouted my air from Orlando to Tampa, leaving Saturday morning. Yet to be seen how my house fares and if I can get away and go... or not!

I've been really looking forward to this one.... can't stand the idea of cancelling. I DO have insurance (on the house and the cruise), so there is that.

Super bummed about the cruise and super nervous about the hurricane.

I think you will be able to get out Saturday, I hope you have no damage.

Just left AOS on Saturday and we were re-routed last week due to Matthew. Missing St Lucia and Barbados, but got St Maarten, St Croix and St Thomas instead. Got three great beach days instead of rain and seeing people sick. ;)

Are you saying that you were on a cruise on 9/24-10/1?

We were on Allure on 9/25-10/2 and supposed to go to St Thomas and St Martin, but got re-routed to Labadee and Falmouth, which I didn't like at all. All of my one and a half year planning was for nothing...

We were on Allure on 9/25-10/2 and supposed to go to St Thomas and St Martin, but got re-routed to Labadee and Falmouth, which I didn't like at all. All of my one and a half year planning was for nothing...

This is the chance you take when your cruise during hurricane season.🙁

This is the chance you take when your cruise during hurricane season.[emoji853]

Yep, and we took the chance.

I was just wondering why we changed the route, if other ship re-routed to "our" ports..

I was just wondering why we changed the route, if other ship re-routed to "our" ports..

Dates of the storm in the area - they got rerouted to "your" ports on different dates than you wold have been there.

Biker, who got a front seat in Barbados when the storm came through there on 9/28.

Edited by Biker19

Which is why plenty of folks avoid even booking cruises during hurricane season altogether.

Looks like you already knew what you were doing when you booked hurricane season

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46917442#post46917442

Sorry but I find your post ridiculous. Even not during hurricane season ports can change. There is never a guarantee. And during hurricane season that is the chance you take.

And while i completely understand this is a cruise board and people get upset when things are changed, I can't help but think how petty it is when i watch the news and see what the aftermath is starting to look like in Haiti.

...We were on Allure on 9/25-10/2 and supposed to go to St Thomas and St Martin, but got re-routed to Labadee and Falmouth, which I didn't like at all...
And you wouldn't have complained at all about being on a ship in a hurricane?:confused: I'd have to see that lack of complaint to believe it.

One should expect changes when cruising the Caribbean during hurricane season. I was on the same cruise, and would have preferred St. Thomas too, but we made the best of it. I'm sure you heard the news that the day we were supposed to be in St. Thomas they had very bad weather so you likely couldn't have done whatever you planned to do there anyway??

Yep, and we took the chance.

Couple of thoughts...

The schedule and itinerary perhaps did not allow our ship to reschedule visits to those ports, but maybe other ships could.

The ship you're referring to was doing a southern itinerary and maybe that's where the worst of the weather was going to be on whatever day. But perhaps that ship would have had to travel a lot further to get to alternate ports like Labadee and Falmouth, so in order to allow EVERYONE to at least have ports to visit, they moved other ships around so that one could at least get to St. T and St. M. without it being completely overcrowded there. Ports are always subject to change, and it looks like maybe a lot of itineraries were changed for the greater good in this case. To be in a snit about that comes across as somewhat selfish.

We are also on the cruise leaving San Juan on Saturday. Our original flights were to FLL/Miami on Friday. Luckily I was able to get another flight direct to San Juan tomorrow, so hoping all goes well. Good luck to all travelling during this difficult time, and those going through the storm.

Hurricane Mathew hit Haiti, Cuba and now the Bahamas and then heading to the east coast. If anyone that has been on a cruise during this past week can you update us on port changes and conditions of the stops. My Oasis cruise is Oct 15th so I am hoping the stop in Nassau is still a go. The 15th cruise is sold out.