Dance Host Program and Dance Instructors

123cats

HAL sent a notice to all their dance hosts that they are discontinuing with the Dance Host program and the dance instructor activities effective 2017. Any single female, like myself that enjoys dancing will have to find another cruise line where this activity is offered.

Too bad HAL did not let the passengers know as I would have cancelled the 2017 World Cruise when I could have obtained a full cruise refund!!

I can't say that I'm surprised HAL is doing this, as they have been inching up the minimum number of days for the dance hosts program for years now. Then they went and made the cruises shorter by making them Collectors' Cruises, so there were no dance hosts even on longer itineraries.

There was a time that if a cruise was 10 days or longer, there were dance hosts on board; then 20 days; then 30 days. Last I heard the minimum was up to 40 days, but it seems that only the Grand and World cruises are that long under one booking.

I am a little surprised that they are degrading the World Cruise by not having the dance hosts on that one at least. I know the hosts are kept busy on that one. But I'm sure HAL will put those cabins to another (money-making) use.

HAL sent a notice to all their dance hosts that they are discontinuing with the Dance Host program and the dance instructor activities effective 2017. Any single female, like myself that enjoys dancing will have to find another cruise line where this activity is offered.

Too bad HAL did not let the passengers know as I would have cancelled the 2017 World Cruise when I could have obtained a full cruise refund!!

I'm so sorry to hear that, as know how many of us love to dance..

Are you sure that there will no longer be a dance host on your cruise? If that is the case, shame on HAL for discontinuing the Dance Hosts on a world cruise when you can't get a refund..:(

If I was still able to dance & was a solo on the world cruise, I would write to the Office of the President & voice my complaint..And I would be sure to let the President know that I was so unhappy that I posted my complaint on Cruise Critic too..

Hopefully, you will have enough single gentlemen who enjoy dancing on your cruise..

Edited by serendipity1499

I am wondering how many dance hosts were sailing with HAL. On our 42-day Atlantic Adventurer, there were four of them and they kept themselves busy. As the demographics change and as the dance hosts get older (and less agile), I wondered about the program as a whole.

Jim

Just as a solo male who enjoys dancing when the music is right, when was the last time that anyone enjoyed the company of a female HAL Dance Hostess? On any cruise of any length anywhere, anytime?

I've been fortunate that I have had others of the opposite sex on most cruises who have been willing to join me on the dance floor.

Two years ago on the Rotterdam African Explorer cruise, there were 4 dance hosts. I told several of the ladies at the Ocean Bar they should enjoy them as I was quite certain they would not be there for much longer. Most of the evenings, they just sat or stood around. We talked with two of them up at the Lido later one evening, and even they said they were bored with such little interest. I would have thought they may have still been used on the Grand voyages. Oh well, will the live musicians be next?

I am wondering how many dance hosts were sailing with HAL. On our 42-day Atlantic Adventurer, there were four of them and they kept themselves busy. As the demographics change and as the dance hosts get older (and less agile), I wondered about the program as a whole.

Jim

Not sure why jimnkaren would think dance hosts getting older and less agile would put the dance program in jeopardy. As they age, younger ones come along. Bottom line, for those who enjoyed the program, PLEASE complain to guest relations. I am one of those who have a 2 month voyage booked for Jan and was looking forward to dancing. Feeling very betrayed by HAL.

Due to a set of circumstances I have a different perspective on the dance host issue. Part of the problem has been the some of the women who want to dance with the hosts. It could be quite a problem. Hopefully most of the women were not like those described below, but I could clearly see problems and the pending termination of the program.

However, I first want to say that IF in fact the Dance Host program has been eliminated from the 2017 WC (and announced after the final payment date) , I think this is unfair and I say shame on HAL. That it is being eliminated does not surprise me, I only object to the timing if in fact the above is true.

1. As of two years ago or so, dance hosts had strict "rules" as to how often they could dance with a particular woman a second, third ... time in a session. Well, I witnessed several verbal "fights" between the women claiming that one was getting more "turns" than the others. This seemed to be rather wearing on the dance hosts (and others in the bar who there to dance themselves or just wanted to listen to the music) who seemed to be trying to be fair. It was also rather embarrassing for the bar patrons at times.

2. I had a tablemate who LOVED to dance and was a very good dancer. Apparently she and her husband had been great ballroom dancers until some sort to neurological condition preventer her husband from dancing (actually even walking much). So, she got herself in line to dance with the hosts. They loved to dance with her and put her in their rotations. Wow, were the other women ever nasty to her - in the bar and around the ship. According to them - she had a husband with her and that precluded her from dancing with the Hosts who were there for the single women. After a few days of this the Cruise Director had a meeting with the complainers and explained that the hosts were there to dance with anyone who wanted to - married or single, on board with another or alone. The women certainly did not like that news, but they became less overt in their "shunning and shaming" of my tablemate.

3. I was on one cruise with a female friend. We did not want to dance but did enjoy the music in the Ocean Bar. For several days the dance hosts would ask us to dance, actually beg us to dance, as they wanted a break from the regulars. (My friend and I were NOT what you would call attractive, and we both weighed too much at that time.) However, they really wanted some else to talk with while dancing - they were really warn down by the clinging and possessive behavior (my words) of some of the women who did want to dance. After several days they realized we really did not want to dance and stopped asking. However, when they were off duty, if several of them did see us sitting on the deck somewhere they would come and chat with us. They really seemed to be sociable and liked to talk with new folks.

4. On my last cruise with dance hosts about 1-1/2 or 2 years ago, one of the hosts was much older and really could have used a walker when moving around the ship. It was painful to watch him try to dance. I asked another host why they had used this man on the ship. He said that another host had dropped out at the "last minute" and this was the only substitute they could apparently find. He told me that finding eligible, appropriate hosts we becoming more and more difficult. He was unsure how much longer a suitable cadre of hosts would be available.

5. I was aware of at least one case where a host (and passenger) did not adhere to the rule that they could not exclusively socially fraternize with any one woman on a cruise. They were there for all.

This all made me sad as I could see what I believed to be the Handwriting on the Wall as they say, I have have suspected the approaching demise of the program.

So sorry to hear this news. From what we've seen the dance lessons are well attended and I think they will be missed by many.

HAL seems to be moving away from ballroom dancing which will drive some of us to Princess and Cunard. While there are not always a lot of dancers onboard, there is a community of cruisers like us who sail to dance. I am surprised more lines don't do more to offer dancing - as long as there is a floor even canned music will do making it a rather low cost, easy to offer addition to the daily program.

I will move on to Princess if Holland does not bring Dance Hosts back. Won't do Cunard, also owned by Carnival Corporation, since that would be rewarding the parent company of Holland. I was planning the revived Grand Asia this fall. Thank Goodness not to late to bail out.

I will move on to Princess if Holland does not bring Dance Hosts back. Won't do Cunard' date=' also owned by Carnival Corporation, since that would be rewarding the parent company of Holland. [/quote']

Princess is also owned by Carnival Corporation. You'll need to move on to a different line.

According to post I read on HAL's FB page, there is more to the elimination than just dance hosts. They reported that there will also not be ministers on every sailing. (not sure why the term ministers was used).

That is also troubling since HAL is known to provide religious services on their sailings.

According to post I read on HAL's FB page, there is more to the elimination than just dance hosts. They reported that there will also not be ministers on every sailing. (not sure why the term ministers was used).

That is also troubling since HAL is known to provide religious services on their sailings.

Since the context is "changes" my best guess is "ministers" is generic.

It makes me wonder if the priest program (don't remember it's official title) is being discontinued. If so, sorry to hear that.

Since the context is "changes" my best guess is "ministers" is generic.

What??? OK, now this is serious, especially (to me) if it includes eliminating priests on every sailing.

Or, HAL could be using the term "minister" in the sense of Protestant clergy, who have been limited to longer cruises. They could be moving to having ministers only on the longest/Grand cruises, or not at all.

Perhaps Himself can learn something about this from the group that recruits and assigns the priests, and let us know.

According to someone on the Grand Asia board, and verified by one of the instructors affected, For 2017, Holland America Line will make some significant changes to the Guest Staff Program, as follows: · The Dance Host & Dance Instructor Programs will be discontinued · Ministers will be placed on specific holiday cruises only · Rabbis and Cantors will be placed on specific holiday cruises only · Bridge Instructors will be placed on cruises of 30 days or more · Arts & Crafts Instructors and Watercolor Instructors will be placed only on Grand World Voyages · Tai Chi Instructors will be placed on specific itineraries in Asia when the Instructor also has a minimum of additional regional offerings/areas of expertise to share (such as language lessons, Mah Jongg, culinary expertise, regional art & history presentations, etc.)"

"Ministers will be placed on specific holiday cruises only · Rabbis and Cantors will be placed on specific holiday cruises only...."

Thank you for the quote. And it is still not clear, and may be vague on purpose.

The context is " changes", right? Or am I missing something?

Rabbis have been aboard for the High Holy Days- right? That isn't a change. Protestant ministers- sometimes-correct?

Catholic Priests on all sailings - currently- right? ( with the priest providing leadership for non-denominated pax (sometimes)?*

I'd like to see more clarity on this, as to what HAL means. And as a non-catholic believer, I would really not want to see the program discontinued.

(*I'm saying sometimes because I have seen mixed understandings of the role: from the priest expecting and planning the leadership :) to " only if no one steps forward to lead, and not really my role, but I'll do it anyway" :eek:.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I heard from a TA that dance hosts will remain on World Cruises only....but best to check with HAL to make sure