How soon is too soon!?

Hi All -

We booked Oasis for next September (just less than 1 year from now!)

I have been looking on the planning section of Royals website and noticed I can start booking shore excursions. I was surprised we could book that now. Of course in thinking about it, since I have the money set aside, that would just help us to do now anyway, right?

So how soon is too soon to book shore excursions, restaurants etc?

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd bank the money in a very safe spot. And not use it until closer to the sailing date.

One never knows if your plans will be concrete or not. Maybe a different excursion come us.

But that's just me.

On the other hand- it's never to early to plan!!!

If a really popular excursion that usually sells out is on your list, book it to make sure you have a slot. If its just a beach day someplace that will still have room even on the ship, there's no rush. If plans change, you can get a refund. I'd rather have the peace of mind having important plans locked in and I would not lose any sleep over the pocket change in interest I could have earned by holding my money and booking late in the game.

If you want a peak dining time at a restaurant, book it early as the popular times do fill up. Its just a reservation, and no cost. Book shows and entertainment, especially the comedy club, as soon as bookings open, as the time that works best for you may also fill up. Booking those early costs you nothing and you can get it crossed off the to-do-list.

I am cruising the same month on the same ship!

For a September 2017 Oasis cruise, when will dinner and show reservations open up. I have heard others say there is not an exact time frame but any ball-park figure?

Thank you

Around 100 days out. Never to early to book or plan. Go for it... Start a roll call. :cool:

Hi All -

We booked Oasis for next September (just less than 1 year from now!)

I have been looking on the planning section of Royals website and noticed I can start booking shore excursions. I was surprised we could book that now. Of course in thinking about it, since I have the money set aside, that would just help us to do now anyway, right?

So how soon is too soon to book shore excursions, restaurants etc?

Thanks!

Private or through the cruise line? This varies, if you go through the cruise line, the advantage of booking as soon as you can is it helps the headcount. Sometimes if an excursion only has 1 or 2 people a week out, they cancel it. Your reservation might be the one that keeps it alive! But doing it through the cruise line it does tie up your money.

Going through private the reservation/upfront varies.

This would be through cruise line for beach cabana at Labadee. I assume those sell out, so part of me says, get it when its available and part of me says wait until we are 6 months out! I hate parting with my money before I have to!

We book many cruises as much as two years in advance. We wait till after final payment to add excursion, dining and drink packages UNLESS there is a sale. Recently they had shore excursions 20% off and this weekend drink packages are on sale for 30% off. Then we book earlier. Plans change and trike the other poster said we don't money tied up that long. We always book on board so we always have low deposits.

I get not giving your money away any earlier than you need to, but it seems to be more on principle than helping financially. I'm assuming we're talking hundreds not tens of thousand of dollars. Your personal financial situation and how you feel based on principal will determine the best use of your money and when. But, in most cases having a couple hundred dollars "working for you" probably won't amount to much.

I book excursions ahead of time and pay for it ahead of time. However, I make my final payment on the final payment due date. But, that's based on principle with giving up my money, not that it actually makes a difference to my financial bottom line.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I always book our excursions as soon as they are available! The only bummer about that was on our last cruise, one excursion was cancelled, and I only found out about it by looking at our credit card statement and seeing the refund. No one from the cruiseline called us, or e-mailed us :( However, I went online after seeing the refund, and saw the excursion was no longer booked. Fortunately, I was able to book something else :)

If they are ship excursions go ahead and book now since you state you have the money set aside. It ensures you have that excursion in case it's extremely popular and sells out. If you change your mind you can cancel and easily get a refund. One less thing to worry about later.