Sirena - Tuscan Steak

Wol

I am OK with the menu.

The only thing that I am missing is the thinly pounded breaded veal (Wiener Scnitzel a la Toscana :D) but I can live with the items that were kept. The portion was always too big - we usually split it.

I did enjoy the Parmesan wheel though :(

Noooo.. The veal is my favourite. Are you saying it is gone!

I still like a real Steak House, however after seeing the menu I can't really see a problem - it looks like a nice menu for what they are doing to please the people.

I never really felt Polo was or is a real steak house,because their meat just is not that good. But since I live in beef country I have a different perspective than city folks. I usually order something other than steak there.

I don't think the choices are so terrible. We won't starve

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. I can live very well with the menu. It looks very nice. But I do think what made Toscana special was the olive oil and balsamic choices before the dinner. That is not done by any other cruise line that I have gone on.

I have only done one other Oceania cruise. i am will be on this ship this winter. this menu looks great. i will be full before i see the main course. i love veal but i found more than enough for 3 or 4 times there.

Everyone bar a couple who have experienced Tuscan Steak on Sirena agree that it's a huge downgrading from Toscana and Polo.

The decor is a matter of taste but for us it's reminiscent of a motel diner.

The menu is a very truncated mixture of the Polo and Toscana ones, with the emphasis on "very". There's no olive oil choice or "big cheese". All the ambiance and welcoming atmosphere has gone.

The staff are excellent as usual, but cannot rescue the combined restaurant I'm afraid.

Oceania, in their wisdom, are apparently set on converting all the R ships to this during refits.

Everyone I've talked to says they are planning to make their views known to Miami - please do the same thing if you agree, and post here as well so that I can pass on your views. It might be possible to get them to rethink - and save money into the bargain!

Currently on Sirena, and I have to agree with you 100%.....the room is stark and the decor bland. We both commented on the fact that the ambiance seemed rather temporary, from the Tuscan Steak logo which looked like it had been put together in 5 minutes, to the decor that could be quickly tweaked to fit another concept. The service is still great, and if anything, the staff are working even harder trying to make this flawed concept work. I ordered the San Daniele ham as a starter and it arrived so cold it was stuck to the plate, and had nil flavour......I'm told this is the new service standard. When in Polo I always ordered the Iberico pork chop, which is now served with gaeta olives to make it "Tuscan", but when I enquired if I could have it without the olives I was told that it wasn't possible.....no big deal as the Wagyu Agnollotti dish I had instead was fantastic. The fruit jellies with coffee from Polo have gone, as has the biscotti selection from Toscana in favour of a single, no choice, piece of biscotti.

Whilst Red Ginger is my least favourite restaurant on the "O" ships, there is at least a real buzz when you walk in there on Marina. The service is great and the food, well prepared and well spiced up away from the standard, but the ambiance is sadly lacking and I don't think the interior design team had even looked at RG on the larger ships. The interior is not quite as stark as Tuscan Steak, but the only warmth is provided by the staff (and their special hot sauce!).

Not been into Jacques for lunch yet, but at first glance the menu looks a little contrived.

As for being resistant to change......😂😂😂 I embrace it when it's well thought out......

We are also on Sirena right now and we think the Tuscan Steak menu is a terrible idea. Few dishes remain, especially from the Polo side, and while my favorite prime rib is still there, I miss more than I see still here. We will be there next week and I can decide about the decor then.

We're also disappointed with "Lunch with Jacques" even though Jacques is our favorite restaurant on Marina. It looks to me like it is a fixed menu, which we don't like. We often have lunch in the GDR (unless we are off the ship) and like the changing menu, just as we do at dinner. While we probably will go a few times to lunch with the Jacques Bistro approach, it won't be nearly as often.

I wonder what effect that has on crowds (if crowds there be) in Terrace at lunchtime. Because we boarded late on Tuesday and had tours each of the next three days, we've only lunched in Waves until today.

Color me disappointed with the changes. And while I can be averse to change, I'm not yet that set in my ways that all change is bad!

Mura

I ordered the San Daniele ham as a starter and it arrived so cold it was stuck to the plate' date=' and had nil flavour.....[b'].I'm told this is the new service standard.[/b]..

Can you clarify your comment ?

Serving cold food is the new standard or ???

San Daniele' date=' Parma, Serrano etc should all be served at room temperature, never chilled. I pointed this out to the waiter and was informed that this was the O service standard for this dish.....[/quote']

LOL, and just where does that dovetail with catering food safety requirements, and/or anti noro precautions?

There are times when the gritty details intrude...

no French Onion Soup.

no Veal al Limone

no sautéed mushrooms

no onion rings

no ravioli in sage butter sauce

tiramisu?

I think the Forest Mushroom Persillade provides a suitable Substitute to sautéed mushrooms for my rather simple pallet. :p

I am OK with the menu.

The only thing that I am missing is the thinly pounded breaded veal (Wiener Scnitzel a la Toscana :D) but I can live with the items that were kept. The portion was always too big - we usually split it.

I did enjoy the Parmesan wheel though :(

Agree with Paulchili will miss the thinly pounded veal but there is still plenty of choices to enjoy

Carol

San Daniele' date=' Parma, Serrano etc should all be served at room temperature, never chilled. I pointed this out to the waiter and was informed that this was the O service standard for this dish.....[/quote']

Thanks for clarifying

Agree with Paulchili will miss the thinly pounded veal but there is still plenty of choices to enjoy

Carol

They usually have the Weiner Scnitzel in the GDR on the last night

the piece is huge

It is not the same as getting it every night I know

re the above link to the menu is that a sample menu or is that the complete menu ?

I do not see any pasta dishes so it is not really an amalgamation of the 2 restaurants if that is the complete menu

I would not starve if that was the menu but DH might :D

Edited by LHT28

I guess we have not eaten enough times at Polo or Toscana to have favorites that we will deeply "miss". The Tuscan Steak menu looks intriguing. Perhaps comments regarding decor will be considered before the changes are made to the sister ships. We do like Red Ginger so we're very much looking forward to trying the new venues on Nautica next year, and giving Jacques Bistro a chance :)

LOL, and just where does that dovetail with catering food safety requirements, and/or anti noro precautions?

There are times when the gritty details intrude...

Sorry, but if you can't service it right you take it off the menu.

Just off Sirena two weeks ago. The food at Tuscan Steak was fine. The problem is that the lighting is just too bright. There is nothing romantic about the space. This was the consensus of many couples on our cruise. Some even considered wearing sunglasses in the restaurant at night to make the point. they did dim the lights slightly, but it is still too bright

This makes sense to me and I shall bring it up..

Jancruz1

We have not yet been on Sirena and won't be until march but given the comments seems to me Oceania should make a concerted effort to get considerable feedback from regulars and new cruisers before changing the other ships

Keep in mind that many of us do not care for red ginger so Tuscan steak is our only choice

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob

We sail on Sirena Tues., October 18th. I was panicking a bit reading the recent reviews, then I remembered that our cruise is a tad special.

"This culinary sojourn is hosted by Sirena’s godmother, Claudine Pépin. Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more."

Thank God, we're newbies. We won't know what we're missing! :D

Edited by UAL_FlyGal

We sail on Sirena Tues., October 18th. I was panicking a bit reading the recent reviews, then I remembered that our cruise is a tad special.

"This culinary sojourn is hosted by Sirena’s godmother, Claudine Pépin. Guests will be treated to specially designed signature menus, engaging lectures, culinary demonstrations and much more."

Your words put a big smile on my face! Could not have said it better!! See you on the 18th!

Denise

Sounds like a lovely introduction to Oceania. Have a wonderful cruise.