Did we make a mistake with Uniworld?

calteacher

Hello laverendrye,

sorry, misspelt your screen name as well, I have just noticed. Quite an amazing chap, this Pierre. He discovered the Mandan at the Missouri! I had never heard of him before. After George Catlin a German went to the Mandan, Prinz Maxilimilian of Wied, in 1833. His fellow traveller Karl Bodmer did some of the finest drawings of the Mandan Indians in existence.

Back on topic, I remember now a brief conversation I had some time ago in Koblenz with a Canadian gentleman who was walking on the deck of the SS Antoinette when I was standing on the embankment taking a photo of the amazing chandelier in the lobby. We chatted a bit and he told me he was very pleased with the cruise.

notamermaid

We bought Ann Frank Musuem tickets online but bought Rijks and Van Gogh Museum tickets at our hotel and saved some time there. The AnnFrank line looked to be at least an hour wait but of course we walked right in at our appointed time.

We took our first river cruise last year with Uniworld. Budapest to Amsterdam. The ship, amenities, service and food was excellent. It is truly all-inclusive. We're sailing with them next year from Antwerp to Amsterdam for the tulips and looking forward to it. You don't hear about them as they don't do the advertising that Viking does. I think you'll have a wonderful time.

You can't go wrong with Uniworld. They are a great company. We have been on 10 Uniworld river cruises and leave in May for our 11th. We have cruised on other lines but have found Uniworld has the best service, crew, food, and facilities. It is also nice not to be "nickeled and dimed" throughout the cruise.

. It is also nice not to be "nickeled and dimed" throughout the cruise.

We have done both "inclusive" and non river cruises and never felt nickel and dimed. That is one reason we stopped ocean cruising as the extras were becoming ridiculous on most lines (as well as continually declining quality for what was included.)

We spend very little onboard: Cocktails, massage, laundry, tips (though we prepay those when not included). For us, a non issue.

There were extra charges for laundry, excursions, spa, etc. on Uniworld so we did have a bill at the end. And we dip certain staff extra.

We've enjoyed our three European river cruises with Uniworld. I did a picture review for each. Links are in my signature.

Some of the Rhine cruise ports that we visited may overlap with ports for your upcoming cruise. The others won't help with your cruise but could give you a little more information about cruising with Uniworld in general.

I think you'll enjoy it. The Mosel is beautiful. We spent some time driving along it last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
You can't go wrong with Uniworld. They are a great company. We have been on 10 Uniworld river cruises and leave in May for our 11th. We have cruised on other lines but have found Uniworld has the best service, crew, food, and facilities. It is also nice not to be "nickeled and dimed" throughout the cruise.

Heading out on River Royal late October 2017 out of Bordeaux for vineyards & chateaux. When does one see the actual excursions offered in each port + the optional ones that require additional $'s. Based on that, when can you actually book the ones you're interested in. For example, the option to visit Arcachon and the option of dinner in the RR Sky Lounge (Saveur Dinner) which is limited to 25 persons.

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by westerngardener
additional info

I can't see a cruise companion for your trip, but I'm sure you will get information with your final documentation. It will list all excusions including optionals. I'm not sure whether it shows prices or not; you will find out details onboard if not.

Yes, we are arriving in Amsterdam the afternoon of April 18 and have a room booked near Schiphol as we think we will just take that afternoon/evening to get adjusted to the time change. Since we can cancel our room, we may decide closer to departure to try to get into Amsterdam in case we want to do some sightseeing yet that day However, the cost of the room for Amsterdam is more than twice what it is near Schiphol, so we will decide before we leave Chicago. If we are exhausted, trying to tourist activities may stretch us, so a relaxing evening in a hotel may be just what we need.

We will be booking a hotel outside of Amsterdam central as well, as we are thinking of renting a car to head south to visit the area my husband is from. I looked into the bus & train routes, and it a very short tram ride into town, so you will probably be ok staying closer to Schiphol.

I can't see a cruise companion for your trip, but I'm sure you will get information with your final documentation. It will list all excusions including optionals. I'm not sure whether it shows prices or not; you will find out details onboard if not.

Thanks for the info. I've been looking out for the cruise companion as well. My preference is to plan ahead after doing my research according to our likes/dislikes. Also travelling with another couple. Hopefully, info will be available before we leave home.

If it's anything like our past 3 Uniworld cruises, the cruise companion will only have general information about the optional vs included excursions. Morning or afternoon, vs full day, and a general description. No prices are listed in the companion.

Once on board, the CD will likely do a presentation on day 1 or 2 of the cruise, with more detailed times, descriptions, and prices. That's when you sign up for the one(s) you'd like.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

The cruise companions for some 2017 cruises just came out late last week. On our Rhine Cruise, there are no optional excursions listed yet, for any of the days. We have OBC, and are hoping to go to Heidelberg.

Robin

Lots of positive posts here on Uniworld. Just curious, is Uniworld more formal than other cruise lines like Viking, Avalon, Emerald? Dresses/coat and tie for dinner? Jeans for breakfast and lunch?

Edited by gab1107

Uniworld doesn't have a dress code for breakfast or lunch. For dinner they do require gentlemen to wear long pants and typically collared shirts. No ties or dress jackets required, although the gentlemen may often wear sports coats. Jeans are not normally worn at dinner but OK at Lunch or Breakfast

Viking enforces no dress codes anytime, so at dinner some gentlemen will be wearing sports jackets while others wear shorts and tee shirts (warm weather). The ladies often dress comparatively to their husbands.

I prefer the business casual approach of Uniworld for dinner, while others like the total casual approach ( to sometimes tacky) of Viking. You decide which you prefer.

Edited by pinotlover

Thanks for the last message. My DH has been wondering if it was acceptable to wear jeans during the day while on excursions. He would never wear the jeans at dinner, but prefers to wear them on excursions.

Several months ago we decided to bite the bullet and stay all three pre-cruise nights at the Grand Amrath Hotel hoping that being near the center will enable us to get a full day of sightseeing on our first full day there without needing to transfer from a hotel near Schiphol to the area nearer the train station.

We are hoping to be able to get all we need in carry-on luggage to avoid the possibility of lost luggage during transfer in Heathrow. In fact, DH suggested getting all the things we want to take and pre-pack to see if we can get by with all carry-on luggage.

Getting excited!

We took the Rhine and Moselle cruise with Uniworld and we had a very nice time. Staff were professional and friendly, the ship was clean and the food was better than just okay. Be forewarned, the Moselle is so enchanting and beautiful that no other river may ever measure up!

We will be sailing on our third Uniworld cruise in June on the Venice Lagoon. We absolutely love Uniworld. Since our first Uniworld cruise in 2014 there has been a debate on CC as to whether they were fully all inclusive since they do offer a couple of optional excursions. I don't want to open up that can of worms again. But I was just looking at the newly posted 2017 Cruise Companion Guide for our June trip and they no longer show optional excursions as they did in 2016 with one of the options now an included excursion. I also looked at the Castles on the Rhine itinerary we sailed previously and see that Marksburg Castle is now an included excursion where it was an optional. So it appears they have done away with optional excursions. Has anyone else scheduled to sail this year noticed this as well?

Maybe or maybe not. Sometimes additional optional cruises are offered after you board the boat, Sometimes they are offered and discussed only the evening before at the CD briefing and may only have limited availability. So, if you missed the daily evening CD briefing you would never know about it.