Are Boarding Times Now Adhered To?

scottie99

For our upcoming Ventura mini cruise, we have been allocated a boarding time of 3pm.

To be honest, we have always ignored our allocated time and arrived around 11.30 and never had to wait very long.

Have things changed? If we arrive at 11.30 ( have to leave Southampton hotel at 11) will we have to wait till 3?

I would aim to get there much later than 11am.

Either stay in the hotel lobby, go to the cruise lounge at the Grand Harbour Hotel, or after 11.30 am drop your large cases off at the hole in the wall and go off into town.

The poor woman probably looked like she was chewing a wasp as she had loads of people who just thought they would try and get there earlier than their given time.

If they can get people on before their given slot, they have said they would try to. However if a lot of your fellow 3pm boarding time cruisers also turn up at 11.30am, it stands to reason you will not be going anywhere fast.

I would aim for 1/2hr before your slot so if you do have you wait it would not be long..

Hi,

As advised already, I would definitely get there later than 11am!

They are keeping to times now, although it is possible you will get on a little earlier than 3pm, and, as already recommended, I would get there around half to three-quarters of an hour earlier.

Reminded me to print my e tickets and have been given 3.30pm

Last time we had this late we aimed to get there for 2.30pm and got caught in problems on m25 and near and in Southampton and ended up arriving at 4.30pm and were last few getting on board.

Rather get to Southampton earlier, hand luggage in and have a walk around whilst waiting as too stressful arriving late.

Reminded me to print my e tickets and have been given 3.30pm

Last time we had this late we aimed to get there for 2.30pm and got caught in problems on m25 and near and in Southampton and ended up arriving at 4.30pm and were last few getting on board.

Rather get to Southampton earlier, hand luggage in and have a walk around whilst waiting as too stressful arriving late.

Yes, that happened to us in April, due to traffic as you describe, we didn't get to the dock till 4:30pm despite having set out in good time. We were amongst the very last to board. Very stressful

For our upcoming Ventura mini cruise, we have been allocated a boarding time of 3pm.

To be honest, we have always ignored our allocated time and arrived around 11.30 and never had to wait very long.

Have things changed? If we arrive at 11.30 ( have to leave Southampton hotel at 11) will we have to wait till 3?

It would help to know which hotel as running down the clock options vary often depending on which hotel.

Regards John

On Azura earlier this month we arrived in Southampton at 11.45 and parked at the West Quay shopping centre and had a quick bite to eat there. Arrived at the terminal about 1.15 (didnt want to leave my bags too long in the boot!)

I should say we had a time of 3.30. We were given a red card (i'm guessing people nearer their times got the green ones!) cards were called frequently. We were called up to the desk about 1.45 and in our cabin about 2.15 where our cases were waiting! We were happy [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

they have always said if they can get people on earlier they will.

However if all 3/3.30 boarders decide to arrive earlier ,on the off chance..a lot of them will be waiting a long time..

Scottie99, boarding does not now start until 12:30, so not really worth arriving much earlier, but even with a red card you will get an early alpha letter and be on fairly quickly.

TEL, You would think that your comment is correct but in fact, in my experience, it is much better to arrive between 1:00 and 2:00, otherwise you risk having to wait until all the coach arrivals have been processed, and these seem to be scheduled to arrive around 2:00pm.

On our last cruise on Britannia at Ocean, there were still 5 or 6 full lanes of cars waiting in the car park to be called forward for unloading at 3:30, as a result boarding was still going on until after 4:30 and of course muster drill was delayed.

I did have a phone conversation with a senior customer service officer, on a different subject, recently and brought up the embarkation problems, as I see them. P&O are fully aware of the concern felt by passengers and are constantly reviewing this issue, and I got the distinct impression that they were only too happy for passengers to find their best way to alleviate and avoid long delays.

Scottie99, boarding does not now start until 12:30, so not really worth arriving much earlier, but even with a red card you will get an early alpha letter and be on fairly quickly.

TEL, You would think that your comment is correct but in fact, in my experience, it is much better to arrive between 1:00 and 2:00, otherwise you risk having to wait until all the coach arrivals have been processed, and these seem to be scheduled to arrive around 2:00pm.

On our last cruise on Britannia at Ocean, there were still 5 or 6 full lanes of cars waiting in the car park to be called forward for unloading at 3:30, as a result boarding was still going on until after 4:30 and of course muster drill was delayed.

I did have a phone conversation with a senior customer service officer, on a different subject, recently and brought up the embarkation problems, as I see them. P&O are fully aware of the concern felt by passengers and are constantly reviewing this issue, and I got the distinct impression that they were only too happy for passengers to find their best way to alleviate and avoid long delays.

Very sensible of pando, also sensible of your suggestion to work around the coach arrival times ,as they will embark on arrival. Finally it is so lovely to see this thread to only crawl to 9/10 posts...

Very sensible of pando, also sensible of your suggestion to work around the coach arrival times ,as they will embark on arrival. Finally it is so lovely to see this thread to only crawl to 9/10 posts...
Well perhaps I'll change that :D just back from another cruise line that departed from Southampton that managed to board passengers commencing at 12:00 and although we had a later boarding time, the cruise line brought that forward by 2 hours, yes 2 hours, and we were on board by 12:30! No lines, no delayed muster, no delayed departure. Cabins available by 2pm and all bags outside the cabin by then.

Another example of a cruise line that can start boarding early from the QE2 terminal without the need for coloured cards and still depart on time. Come on P&O, time to step up your game from Southampton.

Well perhaps I'll change that :D just back from another cruise line that departed from Southampton that managed to board passengers commencing at 12:00 and although we had a later boarding time, the cruise line brought that forward by 2 hours, yes 2 hours, and we were on board by 12:30! No lines, no delayed muster, no delayed departure. Cabins available by 2pm and all bags outside the cabin by then.

Another example of a cruise line that can start boarding early from the QE2 terminal without the need for coloured cards and still depart on time. Come on P&O, time to step up your game from Southampton.

We can beat that Pete, 4 weeks ago from Southampton, we were onboard Celebrity Eclipse by 11.05. Only downside is that's a tad early for the welcome onboard glass of champers they give you as you step onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Back in August we had a check in time of 1.30pm. Arrived at 1.40pm and given a fast track pass that meant it took about 15 minutes to check in and board.

There were others waiting to be called because they had arrived too early.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Quite possible, but if those waiting had boarding times of 3:30 then it is most likely that they would be on board well before then. Which if you read my earlier post is most definitely not going to be the case if they wait until their allocated boarding time.

On our last cruise with P&O we had a boarding time of 1pm. Turned up at 10 past, no one in the terminal waiting, booked in, through customs, straight to cabin and the cases were outside waiting. Twenty minutes all together.

It goes to show it can be done.

We travel down on the day early but don't go to the terminal till close to our time and have never waited very long to book in. Last time was the fastest though.

Returned from Britannia yesterday and being Caribbean Tier we were allowed to check in from 1pm even though e-ticket stated 3-30pm. Actually checked in earlier than 1pm and were onboard for 12-30 to 12-45 but staterooms were not ready so had was sent to one of the restaurant for our drinks/buffet and the rest to the Horizon buffet until anouncement was made thatr staterooms were ready about 1-30pm to 2pm time.

Just back from Oriana. Our checkin time was 1.30. We got there at 1305, having parked the car. We were given Fast Track cards? There were a lot of other people sitting down holding letter cards. We lined up for about 5 minutes, then checked straight in and on board by 1320.

Arcadia. Check in time 3.30

Arrived at 1.15.

In cabin by two.

Excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although that it great for you, I suppose you have the large majority of fellow passengers to thank. I presume that had they not arrived at the correct time, it would not have been possible for you to board early.

Always makes me laugh threads like this.......just because p&o give your a boarding time it's not set in stone, even they have said they will aim to get you on board.....it's purely a way to try and stop mass amounts of passengers arriving at once, what makes the system rubbish in my opinion is it's pot luck what time you get unless you have early boarding down to your loyalty tier (which I have no probs with btw) why should it be pot luck?? It doesn't take in to account people circumstances, I personally am travelling down the night before and staying in a hotel as I like to relax before my cruise and not worry about the 6+ hr drive to Southampton, as I get kicked out the hotel at 12pm and my embarkation time is 15:30 p&o are really giving me no option but to arrive at the terminal early. My car is staying at the hotel for the cruise so I can't drive round Southampton and don't see the point in going to the shopping centre or pub to kill time so I'm treating it like a flight, arrive 3 hours before departure and just chill in the lounge. If I get on early fair enough, if I don't then so what. P&o haven't thought this system out at all as I'm sure on a boat of 3000 + passengers I won't be the only one travelling down the night before and having to check out at 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Drove down Thursday night, car staying at hotel, out of hotel by midday, buy new t-shirt for me and new boots for she who thinks should be obeyed, taxi to Mayflower terminal at 1.15 for 2.30 boarding time.

In the terminal for 1.30 where a very nice lady handed me a red card (didn't get sent off, which was nice) on board at.......................................................................................1.50!

We only arrived early because there was nothing else to do, we were quite happy to wait for our official boarding time but got a result on the day, who knows, next time might be different!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

As OP, I would like to thank you all for your advice and sharing your experiences.

Like others have said, we have nothing else to do, so on Thursday, we shall arrive at the terminal about 12 (3pm, scheduled time) and take our chances .

if we have to wait a while, so be it, but we will have our books and iPads so it is a better option than plodding round Southampton (again!)

As OP, I would like to thank you all for your advice and sharing your experiences.

Like others have said, we have nothing else to do, so on Thursday, we shall arrive at the terminal about 12 (3pm, scheduled time) and take our chances .

if we have to wait a while, so be it, but we will have our books and iPads so it is a better option than plodding round Southampton (again!)

Love your attitude :-) Seems like a good plan

It doesn't take in to account people circumstances, I personally am travelling down the night before and staying in a hotel as I like to relax before my cruise and not worry about the 6+ hr drive to Southampton, as I get kicked out the hotel at 12pm and my embarkation time is 15:30 p&o are really giving me no option but to arrive at the terminal early.

The thing is, how would it be possible to police a system like this? How do P&O know everybody's travel arrangements or what time check out is for every hotel in Southampton? If staying in a hotel gets you priority, then what's to stop everybody claiming that they're staying in a local hotel?

Whatever system is put in place it more than likely won't please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums