Overnite to Fort L. Airport? where to rest?

marluvs2go

Will try for the first time overnite from San Diego to Frt. Lauderdale. Flight leaves san diego at 10:30PM and arrives at 6:00 AM the day of Departure 9 November. I think that while this is NOT ideal and we will be tired, it beats having to lug suitcases and stay in a hotel overnite being just as tired for not sleeping well. Anyway was reading about lounges and places to grab a rest....any one tried this before? Also our flight is non stop so that is super compared to changing plans....thanks

This is discussed from time to time on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

which is the more relevant place.

A common suggestion is to take your time claiming bags, grab a bite to eat, and eventually taxi to the port.

Two less common suggestions are a car rental to keep you busy for 4-6 hours, and getting a day room at a hotel for 4-6 hours.

I think I saw some hotels that have day rooms. I don't know if it's true, but I fly to FLL & MIA a ton to visit all family and I saw ads like that floating around. Do I recommend it? I wouldn't pay for it, but you are kinda stuck depending on which terminal you land in for lounges.

I did a flight like that from Vancouver to my home in Atlanta (9:45 PM - 5:45 AM) and boy was I knocked out the whole day. I can't sleep on planes so that might be the issue, but I woke up at 7 PM after I got home at 10 AM. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by DisneyDatknee

Grab a cab/Uber and go to a local breakfast place and have a leisurely pre-cruise breakfast perhaps? Maybe go to one of the larger beachfront hotels and have breakfast there overlooking the ocean then go for a stroll - often times the bellman will be more than happy to hold your luggage for a few hours, with a smile and a t$p of course :D

Will try for the first time overnite from San Diego to Frt. Lauderdale. Flight leaves san diego at 10:30PM and arrives at 6:00 AM the day of Departure 9 November. I think that while this is NOT ideal and we will be tired, it beats having to lug suitcases and stay in a hotel overnite being just as tired for not sleeping well. Anyway was reading about lounges and places to grab a rest....any one tried this before? Also our flight is non stop so that is super compared to changing plans....thanks

Why would you be "just as tired for not sleeping well" if you spent the night at a hotel? It might not be as comfy as home - but arriving the afternoon/evening before and having a bed will beat the hell after a red-eye followed by hanging out several hours at an airport waiting room - or getting to the cruise terminal at 9:00 AM and hanging there for 4 - 5 hours.

Why would you be "just as tired for not sleeping well" if you spent the night at a hotel? It might not be as comfy as home - but arriving the afternoon/evening before and having a bed will beat the hell after a red-eye followed by hanging out several hours at an airport waiting room - or getting to the cruise terminal at 9:00 AM and hanging there for 4 - 5 hours.

I was just about to post the same thing. Unless the money for the hotel is an issue, I would opt for the suggestion by the above poster. OP, have you ever taken a coast to coast red eye. IMO, they are the pits (especially if you are crammed in in coach...not quite so bad in business or first class, but to me the hotel room is a much better idea. In any event, hope you have a great cruise!:)

Thank you all! Do not know what I would do without your Advice. I will say for those of you who immediately dismissed the idea as "no way" terrible idea the following facts that may help others seeking this Alternative to arriving the day before a cruise in Florida from San Diego might help with your decision. Our third departure from Florida on a cruise went like this: Was up 3am and find that flight for 6am delayed...go back to bed...but did not tell hubbie he is up showered and ready to go. Way way to early. Finally get myself ready and realize my last minute stuff is taking all the airport commute time. Stuff ourselves with the doggies in our car and speed about 10 miles to where my daugther works so she can take over the driving to get us neck break speed to airport. Meanwhile little doggie barfs all over back seat. We arrive in time and make our flight. Sit back for aprox 3 hours then depart in Houston and walk for miles to eat and then board next flight. Arrived Florida late (for us) Get our two heavy suitcases and got to hotel about 12 midnight. Everything closed. Hubbie wanted one beer and we wanted a snack (room service closed as well as restaurant) so we took off walking down the street at that hour found a liquor store and he got a bottle of beer. Finally got to bed about 2AM or our time 5AM. Then up early next day as we cannot sleep in and walk to nearest market for a couple bottles of wine to take on cruise, have nice breakfast in patio. Get yet another ride to port and wait for boarding......We were tired and cranky.

So when I saw that you could fly nonstop I said let's try it. You all call it a red-eye but the thought of leaving San Diego at 10:30PM and arriving early the next day without changing planes or lugging suitcases to a hotel late at nite appeals to me. It is not the cost of the hotel at all but I must say that saving that amount for not even being rested does appeal to me. In fact if I did arrive early for a cruise in Florida again I planned on arriving TWO DAYS early just to rest? Another BIG consideration in San Diego that you need to leave home before day break to get a flight that gets you into Florida at any decent hour.

So will this work? maybe not, Hopefully we can sleep on flight of course that's not a bed but some hotel room beds freak me out anyway. We are basically bed at nine up at 6 type of folks so the thought of flying at nite is odd to me but hey I want to give it a try. At the very least I think one boarding, one luggage retrieval and one taxi ride might just be the "cats meow" I am starting to think oops need shower? lol....anyone who wants to know how this works for us just e-mail me or wait and I will post when we return on another nonstop

Do any of your credit cards offer airport lounge access?

I posted something about this on another thread yesterday:

If you have an AMEX Plat or Centurion card, you can go to the American Express Centurion Lounge at FLL. I've been to the one at SFO - excellent FREE food, excellent beverages, good places to sit and relax.

I also did a quick search with Priority Pass (you get membership in this with the Plat/Cent card, also), but there are no PP lounges at FLL.

Now, which airline are you flying? The only nonstop I see SAN-FLL that is overnight is on Jet Blue. So, no airline lounge access there.

The other thing I do suggest is doing the 1 night reservation for a hotel room. Book it for the night you are flying and CALL the hotel directly and let them know you will not be arriving until early morning. That way, the room will be available to you as soon as you arrive. You have to call, because if you don't arrive before the overnight audit is done, you will be marked as a No Show. If the hotel knows you are arriving in the AM, they can pre-register you that night. You'll have access to the room and hotel facilities until most likely 11am-12pm - see if the hotel will grant a later checkout. That way, you can nap, shower from that flight, and get to the ship refreshed and ready to go.

I posted something about this on another thread yesterday:

If you have an AMEX Plat or Centurion card, you can go to the American Express Centurion Lounge at FLL. I've been to the one at SFO - excellent FREE food, excellent beverages, good places to sit and relax.

I also did a quick search with Priority Pass (you get membership in this with the Plat/Cent card, also), but there are no PP lounges at FLL.

Now, which airline are you flying? The only nonstop I see SAN-FLL that is overnight is on Jet Blue. So, no airline lounge access there.

The other thing I do suggest is doing the 1 night reservation for a hotel room. Book it for the night you are flying and CALL the hotel directly and let them know you will not be arriving until early morning. That way, the room will be available to you as soon as you arrive. You have to call, because if you don't arrive before the overnight audit is done, you will be marked as a No Show. If the hotel knows you are arriving in the AM, they can pre-register you that night. You'll have access to the room and hotel facilities until most likely 11am-12pm - see if the hotel will grant a later checkout. That way, you can nap, shower from that flight, and get to the ship refreshed and ready to go.

I love your hotel suggestion! That's just what I would do.......rest up, shower, have breakfast and off to the ship....easy peasey!

Thank you all! Do not know what I would do without your Advice. I will say for those of you who immediately dismissed the idea as "no way" terrible idea the following facts that may help others seeking this Alternative to arriving the day before a cruise in Florida from San Diego might help with your decision. Our third departure from Florida on a cruise went like this: Was up 3am and find that flight for 6am delayed...go back to bed...but did not tell hubbie he is up showered and ready to go. Way way to early. Finally get myself ready and realize my last minute stuff is taking all the airport commute time. Stuff ourselves with the doggies in our car and speed about 10 miles to where my daugther works so she can take over the driving to get us neck break speed to airport. Meanwhile little doggie barfs all over back seat. We arrive in time and make our flight. Sit back for aprox 3 hours then depart in Houston and walk for miles to eat and then board next flight. Arrived Florida late (for us) Get our two heavy suitcases and got to hotel about 12 midnight. Everything closed. Hubbie wanted one beer and we wanted a snack (room service closed as well as restaurant) so we took off walking down the street at that hour found a liquor store and he got a bottle of beer. Finally got to bed about 2AM or our time 5AM. Then up early next day as we cannot sleep in and walk to nearest market for a couple bottles of wine to take on cruise, have nice breakfast in patio. Get yet another ride to port and wait for boarding......We were tired and cranky.

So when I saw that you could fly nonstop I said let's try it. You all call it a red-eye but the thought of leaving San Diego at 10:30PM and arriving early the next day without changing planes or lugging suitcases to a hotel late at nite appeals to me. It is not the cost of the hotel at all but I must say that saving that amount for not even being rested does appeal to me. In fact if I did arrive early for a cruise in Florida again I planned on arriving TWO DAYS early just to rest? Another BIG consideration in San Diego that you need to leave home before day break to get a flight that gets you into Florida at any decent hour.

So will this work? maybe not, Hopefully we can sleep on flight of course that's not a bed but some hotel room beds freak me out anyway. We are basically bed at nine up at 6 type of folks so the thought of flying at nite is odd to me but hey I want to give it a try. At the very least I think one boarding, one luggage retrieval and one taxi ride might just be the "cats meow" I am starting to think oops need shower? lol....anyone who wants to know how this works for us just e-mail me or wait and I will post when we return on another nonstop

Same as when we East Coastgers d fly to CA or Seattle. We get hotel rooms.

I love your hotel suggestion! That's just what I would do.......rest up, shower, have breakfast and off to the ship....easy peasey!

:confused: I am confused why so much angys over something so simple. , THIS IS not a travel problem. It is so easily remedied. Book a room. IMO

I will go with the book a room suggestion for the same reason we all fly in a day early. Anything can happy with flying. Bad weather in any part of the country can mean your plane doesn't arrive for your flight. All the problems you stated can happen with any flight. I can't imagine flying all night and trying to enjoy the first day of my cruise. Napping right after you get on the ship is problematic. They will be bringing luggage into your room, you will have lifeboat drill. Hotel rooms in Ft. Lauderdale are quite reasonable if you book early.

We regularly book a redeye (with a connection and about 3 hour layover on the east coast) but not to avoid a hotel night, rather for the convenience of the flight and a connection at the airport of our choice rather than one we hate, usually 2 days before the cruise. It works well for us as we get to FLL around 2:30 in the afternoon, quick nap at the hotel and we are good to go.

I understand the OP's logic in booking the redeye, and would agree with using an airport lounge to kill a few hours, and head to the port at your leisure. I don't understand why anyone would criticise the OP for their decision - none of our business why anyone does what they choose to do. OP was asking a specific question. Glad to see some stuck to answering that.

Been there, done that. For my first solo cruise a few years ago, I flew the redeye into FLL, arriving around 06:00. Since I had booked the HAL airport transfer which wasn't going to be available until 10ish, I picked up my suitcase and found a friendly guard who told me where I could find a quiet lounge area on an upper level.

There was a sofa and several soft easy chairs where I was able to rest and have a breakfast of the granola bars and bottled water I brought with me. I would have slept but, since I was traveling alone, I was too worried about being robbed while I slept so just dozed a little.

I only did that once, though, because after one too many close calls, I like to give myself at least one day between flying and cruising.

We are staying at the Rodeway Inn before and after in FLL. They offer day rooms as well as transfers from the airport and to the cruiseport. They also have breakfast. It looks like it is 59.99 for up to 4 people. Their website says 10:00 am to 6:00pm but it would not hurt to ask for that to be adjusted.

Hope this helps.

It is actually quite common at the hotels I've worked for. Right now, doing those pre-registers is one of the last things I do at night before I turn over to the overnight auditor (who also runs the Front Desk and the hotel at night). I look at the not-yet-arrived folios, look for the comments on when they will arrive. If there is an arrival time, I register and all is good. If there is no note of a late arrival/early morning arrival, they go to Did Not Arrive and those will lose their deposits. If they show up the next morning, they have to pay all over again (and the rate may change because it is a same-day walkup)....

If you choose to just go to a hotel and not check-in, but use the public areas of the hotel, if you give your luggage to the bell staff, be sure to tip them handsomely (I'd do $5/bag when giving AND taking back bags) because you are not really a guest, but are using them as a storage facility. Eat breakfast at the hotel, find a cozy corner somewhere with chairs and rest. Unless the pool is open to the public, please do not try to poach lounge chairs by the pool. I do the hanging around a hotel once in awhile if I have maybe 2-3 hours to waste - a long breakfast and a relaxing place to read is all I need.

Edited by slidergirl

It is actually quite common at the hotels I've worked for. Right now, doing those pre-registers is one of the last things I do at night before I turn over to the overnight auditor (who also runs the Front Desk and the hotel at night). I look at the not-yet-arrived folios, look for the comments on when they will arrive. If there is an arrival time, I register and all is good. If there is no note of a late arrival/early morning arrival, they go to Did Not Arrive and those will lose their deposits. If they show up the next morning, they have to pay all over again (and the rate may change because it is a same-day walkup)....

If you choose to just go to a hotel and not check-in, but use the public areas of the hotel, if you give your luggage to the bell staff, be sure to tip them handsomely (I'd do $5/bag when giving AND taking back bags) because you are not really a guest, but are using them as a storage facility. Eat breakfast at the hotel, find a cozy corner somewhere with chairs and rest. Unless the pool is open to the public, please do not try to poach lounge chairs by the pool. I do the hanging around a hotel once in awhile if I have maybe 2-3 hours to waste - a long breakfast and a relaxing place to read is all I need.

Bolding is mine as for me - This is a bit scary. I normally tell the hotel when I am coming but sometimes things happen. They have my credit card to guarantee late check in, so why would they cancel my reservation and consider me a no show????

I know I will be charged for the night if I don't cancel by x, so why would they cancel me when they have a reservation guaranteed and for several nights?

If I know in advance, of course I will contact them - or try to. But things happen with flights, highway traffic tie ups, etc.

Maybe I am missing something?

I assume slidergirl is referring to a confirmed reservation, not a guaranteed reservation. A guaranteed reservation, one that has been paid for, the hotel must hold the room for you even if you are late. A confirmed reservation may be relinquished to another guest if the person who made the reservation does not call or show up by 8:00p.m.

If you have a guaranteed, paid, reservation at a hotel and they relinquish it to another guest and ask you to pay again because you arrived late that is a huge legal problem for the hotel.

Simply...there is a HUGE difference between a guaranteed and a confirmed reservation. A deposit on a multi-night stay is not a prepaid reservation.

Unfortunately there are so many things to remember when making reservations. Cherie

I assume slidergirl is referring to a confirmed reservation, not a guaranteed reservation. A guaranteed reservation, one that has been paid for, the hotel must hold the room for you even if you are late. A confirmed reservation may be relinquished to another guest if the person who made the reservation does not call or show up by 8:00p.m.

If you have a guaranteed, paid, reservation at a hotel and they relinquish it to another guest and ask you to pay again because you arrived late that is a huge legal problem for the hotel.

Simply...there is a HUGE difference between a guaranteed and a confirmed reservation. A deposit on a multi-night stay is not a prepaid reservation.

Unfortunately there are so many things to remember when making reservations. Cherie

Thanks I follow you, I think.

I have always either a) prepaid my entire hotel stay or b) guaranteed it with a credit card. I can't recall even an opportunity to just make a deposit and not guarantee it. Thanks for the insight. ;)